Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

APB: Reloaded on Kickstarter, Wrath of Heroes Style

MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

I am not sure how I feel about the whole thing. I do like that they are exteninding APB: Reloaded premium into this new project, APB: Vendetta, even though I won't get use out of it no longer being an FPS player. I suppose if they do what Mythic and EA said they would do but didn't, that is to share content across both games, then it could benefit APB: Reloaded.

What are your thoughts?

LINK

Comments

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

The developers have talked about the project saying that the new game will not impact the old one or its development. For making the kickstarter video they used one of the APB: Reloaded developers so they hired three artists to take his place for the duration.

APB Developer Revoemag
    I have to point out that Vendetta is not aimed at existing APB Reloaded players, APB Reloaded players we hope, will carry on playing APB Reloaded, as it is a TPS shooter. That's not to say that if you enjoy fast FPS games that you can't play Vendetta, but the APB Reloaded playerbase is not the prime target audience.

Vendetta is aimed at an entirely different crowd, the same way that Blizzard originally developed solely RTS games and then expanded to include an MMORPG, we operate a TPS game and are expanding to include an FPS game - we are expanding our playerbase and IP without shifting the existing players away from their current game or removing development from that game.

From official forums/facebook.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I think it's weird they are even using the APB name, for most gamers it conjures memories of the fastest? ever failure of an MMO and a game that sent one company completely to oblivion.

Does it have a big following now? I must admit I haven't looked at it at all since it went under the first time and I am sure a lot of other people are the same. Seems odd to market something with such a tainted reputation.

• wickedshotwickedshot Member UncommonPosts: 16

APB:Reloaded has the best character customization of any FPS I've played, but it's pretty unplayable because of how pay2win it is, and the horrible matchmaking.

It's the kind of game you want to play but just ends up being too frustrating to continue playing.

No idea how I feel about another game from them.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by MaxJac

The developers have talked about the project saying that the new game will not impact the old one or its development.

You know this is nonsense, right ? Each developer says this everyttime in this case. It's a standard phrase just to appease your current customers.

Just like politicians who say before an election "no, no, don't worry, everything will be fine when we do XYZ, this has no impact on ZYX."

They have to say it. What shall they say else ? Just image what customers would say when developers told them the truth. Noone wants to hear the truth. Lol, no, they never will, they can't. ;)

Originally posted by SlickShoes

I think it's weird they are even using the APB name, for most gamers it conjures memories of the fastest? ever failure of an MMO and a game that sent one company completely to oblivion.

Does it have a big following now? I must admit I haven't looked at it at all since it went under the first time and I am sure a lot of other people are the same. Seems odd to market something with such a tainted reputation.

It is supposidly GamersFirst's most profitable game at the moment. I don't know if that says good things about APB or bad things about GamersFirst.

Originally posted by wickedshot

APB:Reloaded has the best character customization of any FPS I've played, but it's pretty unplayable because of how pay2win it is, and the horrible matchmaking.

It's the kind of game you want to play but just ends up being too frustrating to continue playing.

No idea how I feel about another game from them.

I am going to guess that you haven't played the game very much. The best weapons are the ones you unlock and slot your own modifications into. The only reason to buy permanent weapons with real cash is to avoid having to earn the ingame cash for guns or to save the time needed to unlock the slotted versions. I use the OCA and NHVR Scout that I paid for but I know very well that the OCA and standard NHVR from contacts are better guns for numerous reasons, one being that I can actually change the modifications on them where as I can't on my paid for weapons. Besides, the difference that modifications make are small. Positioning and strategy are what win in APB.

As for matchmaking, it isn't perfect but it isn't horrible either. They improved it with the last update directed at matchmaking but have said they still aren't full satisfied and plan to alter it again. I see your point, it does need work. I feel the worse for trainees in their first day. Trainees are paired against any and all players without restrictions so that the system can decide how good they are and rank them. It can be brutal for some.

Originally posted by Anthur

The developers have talked about the project saying that the new game will not impact the old one or its development. For making the kickstarter video they used one of the APB: Reloaded developers so they hired three artists to take his place for the duration.

You know this is nonsense, right ? Each developer says this everyttime in this case. It's a standard phrase just to appease your current customers.

Just like politicians who say before an election "no, no, don't worry, everything will be fine when we do XYZ, this has no impact on ZYX."

They have to say it. What shall they say else ? Just image what customers would say when developers told them the truth. Noone wants to hear the truth. Lol, no, they never will, they can't. ;)

Did you only read half of what I wrote and get bored? I added in the other half again.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Did you only read half of what I wrote and get bored? I added in the other half again.

I read it all. Including that quote. So you believe them. Your choice. But remember, resources are limited. You can't spend them twice. And I don't blame the companies, they have to do it. And it is up to them what to do with their resources. But you really believe a new project has no impact on existing projects ? Ah, whatever.

Originally posted by Anthur

I read it all. Including that quote. So you believe them. Your choice. But remember, resources are limited. You can't spend them twice. And I don't blame the companies, they have to do it. And it is up to them what to do with their resources. But you really believe a new project has no impact on existing projects ? Ah, whatever.

Believe you me, I have seen the dark side of this. The thread title mentions WAR and WoH, which was pretty much the same thing. The interesting thing is what a develoepr has said. It almost sounds threatening. Take a look.

Revoemag

Incorrect, the kickstarter is because we do not want to hinder current and future development of APB:R we want to continue to use funds from APB:R for APB:R. 

It almost sounds like if the kickstarter doesn't succeed then they will pull from APB: Reloaded.

• wickedshotwickedshot Member UncommonPosts: 16

@MaxJac:  I've played it a lot, but not to the highest ranks.  I think I was at rank 175 or something last time I played.

While it's true you can grind to semi win, I didn't feel it was worth mentioning since the thousand of hours to get to that point aren't something I would suggest to anyone.  The only thing that kept me playing some of the time was that I had already put in so many hours so I was ahead of a lot of people, but can't imagine suggesting to anyone to go through all that just for easy mode on new players and still getting unfair matches.

But when you consider things like people using bought scouts + nanos to dominate every range, it just isn't worth playing those thousands of hours just to still be below an easily bought combo.

If you've gotten past the huge grind to get to a point where the game is worthwhile, then grats to you I guess.  Personally I just don't find the game worth the frustrations and over time the situation only got worse and worse, so I don't anticipate it getting better.

I'm very skeptical that the matchmaking is better now, I've seen a lot of iterations of APB matchmaking, but most of the time it actually got worse.

But I will say that I'm not an expert on it now, as I haven't touched that game in months, because it just kept getting worse.  I hope it got better for new players sake, but I've given up on APB and could never recommend it to anyone.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Played during original beta...was horrified (not going into details but It was just a mess)

Started playing again via steam and find it highly enjoyable. Are there still some bugs ..of course..like all games really. Much better than I expected but keep in mind it is mostly running and gunning or drive bys while you do various simple structured missions. Still fun as shite imo. As far as someone saying it is  P2W..I have been playing and pretty much holding my own with the basic weapons.

Only recently did I notice I had some G1 cash left over from playing Fallen Earth and bought a few grab bag sorta random packages. I got a heavy machine gun and a sub machine gun that last only 3 days each once you remove them from the mail. If you leave them there they wont expire so if you're not planning on using them soon leave them in the mailbox. Of the 2 guns the heavy machine gun gave me an edge in regards to taking out vehicles...I can make them splode real quick..but it does slow me down considerably due to the extra weight and encumbrance. So it balances out in the end. I'm only rank 48 so maybe it's P2W at higher ranks but I can't see it changing that much.

Customization is pretty intense in this game..from avatars to clothing, vehicles to tats..you can really get detailed and go crazy if you have the time and patience. The design system (tats and vehicles especially) is very robust (especially after you unlock more options) but not the most user friendly one I've ever seen. Still its miles above anything I've used in most games.