Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: Crafting in Tamriel Revealed

Comments

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I like Vanguard and Eq2 style crafting. Interactive crafting is a must, but it doesn't matter at all unless the gear is balanced with PvE loot. Very excited to try your crafting out. Was not a fan of any recent games crafting.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by waxmask
    Unless weapond and armor are worn off this system is bound to fail like it's predecesors. Make it like SWG where you can have items repaired but never to the state it was in when freshly made and finally break down. THIS makes a reall craft economy. With that make the trials of making weapons gooed for dedicated crafters, ergo let a "good"crafter make unique items no one else had the knowledge of making them.

This is the point. You cant have a flowing economy, if items dont break. Hope they will put this in the game.

Hodor!

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

/offtopic

is the payment model still unannounced?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Paul’s term for the philosophy of solo gamers who play a MMO as if it were a solo game was brilliant. The idea that solo MMO players like the “comfort of strangers” when they play was an insight into the weird world of non-groupers. :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    wow sounds very GW2 like. cant help but get that feeling.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

I do have a couple concerns!

A) They crafting system you have described is awesome in the begining while no one knows what the additives are to get the most elite item but over time this knowledge will end up common place on a websight for all to see....  How are you going to ensure the best crafted items are truelly difficult to make so they dont flood the market?

B) Nothing has been said about item decay/ wear and tear....  I strongly urge as a crafter that you keep us relavent by ensuring gear gets broken and does decay....  So we stay a relavent portion of the community!  Has this been addressed?

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by o2jpl

I was unable to find the answer to my question, thus here it goes.

Will crafted items especially equipables have a variable value depending on its quality and will that value deterioriate and be possibly repairable to the point of destruction?

In other words will it be similar to what swg had going for its economy where crafters were always in demand instead of having the same armor piece being traded over and over and over again.

This is a great question, it was not covered in the presentation...but PAX is in one day....I'll be asking this one for sure.

:p 
  • o2jplo2jpl Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by garrett

Will crafted items especially equipables have a variable value depending on its quality and will that value deterioriate and be possibly repairable to the point of destruction?

In other words will it be similar to what swg had going for its economy where crafters were always in demand instead of having the same armor piece being traded over and over and over again.

This is a great question, it was not covered in the presentation...but PAX is in one day....I'll be asking this one for sure.

Thanks for the reply and have fun at PAX.

I always enjoy your reviews and bloq entries, no matter how much bias there might be :D.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    I don't like to be limited to two skills as a master, I would reather be able to master all skills, but should take long time to do it.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Gear decay has some serious implications.  While crafters obviously love it (talk about vested interest... ^^) it can lead to an even worse gear grind than is typical in these games.  You see that great epic sword, you just received as a dungeon drop, its going to wear out, and have to be replaced. So will all of your gear.  Welcome to gear treadmill 3.0... You not only have to get gear, but at end game, keep getting new gear, over and over and over... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Crafting looks like it is side stuff in ESO. Yes you may be able to make nice stuff and enhance items, but I haven't seen anything that suggests anything new or innovative here yet.

• o2jplo2jpl Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Gear decay has some serious implications.  While crafters obviously love it (talk about vested interest... ^^) it can lead to an even worse gear grind than is typical in these games.  You see that great epic sword, you just received as a dungeon drop, its going to wear out, and have to be replaced. So will all of your gear.  Welcome to gear treadmill 3.0... You not only have to get gear, but at end game, keep getting new gear, over and over and over... ^^

Thats a great point. However I believe ESO will have an extensive replayability of dungeons because as they mentioned (i believe they did) dungeons wont be static. If dungeons wont be static I believe the gear grind would be more fun and engaging especially in a group environment. Also, if crafter can enchance gear having an upgraded epic sword might make you think twice about using it all the time where there is no necesseity.

I'm very interested in how ESO will tackles this.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    wow sounds very GW2 like. cant help but get that feeling.

I agree, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I think GW2 is a good framework for a new direction in some area of MMO's that have been stagnating.  Its only a natural step that others will take bits here and there and shape it into their own system.  TESO has my interest, and I like what I am hearing so far.

• RorrinRorrin Member UncommonPosts: 29

Thats a great point. However I believe ESO will have an extensive replayability of dungeons because as they mentioned (i believe they did) dungeons wont be static. If dungeons wont be static I believe the gear grind would be more fun and engaging especially in a group environment. Also, if crafter can enchance gear having an upgraded epic sword might make you think twice about using it all the time where there is no necesseity.

"make you think twice about using it all the time..."

ugh, what a horrible concept.  Swapping in ghetto weaps and armor while i run around and either help my friends or explore certain areas that "might" not require my uber sword.  NO thanks!  Worst idea ever.

• TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

Experimenting? ohh come on... everyone just goes to a wiki and look what happens..

A feature like that wont ever work because the workaround is too obvious.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Unless there's an effort cost of some kind, the value of crafted goods will always be less than the sum of their components.

This means that only at the very highest level of crafting (and even then only if it's very difficult or tedious to reach the highest level) can crafting be profitable. It will instead be a huge moneysink for everyone else. You essentially have to pay large amounts of gold to grind your skill level up before you can make any profits. In many games even the top crafted items have very little value, leaving value only to rare recipes. That's not fun at all.

An effort cost can be anything from time (hours or days rather than a second or two) to some sort of skill challenge or puzzle. There has to be something to limit the instantaneous mass production of goods.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Sounds like some of the best crafting to come out in quite a while.
  • ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126
    Sad that Carpentry isn't part of the crafting. I prefer games to have some kind of house decorating ability to run parallel to the exploration/combat parts of the game.
  • burner087burner087 Member Posts: 13
    Crafting looks like it will be great in this game.

-Davorn

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I wish you could craft arrows.
  • karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    Really looking forward to this crafting. Hopefully they keep they ignore the raiders so crafting is not nerfed  to oblivion. Having different options at end game besides the raid treadmill would be refreshing. 
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by karat76
    Really looking forward to this crafting. Hopefully they keep they ignore the raiders so crafting is not nerfed  to oblivion. Having different options at end game besides the raid treadmill would be refreshing. 

Well, we can hope.  But between the PvP crowd, and the raiders, crafting has always tended to get seriously hammered.  Either that, or they gate the best mats inside raids or make them ultra rare world boss drops.  The only game I've seen that takes crafting seriously was Horizons (now Istaria), and that was a crafting system in search of a game. ^^

About the time people can craft gear thats even in the same league as raid/high end PvP gear, both factions will go into hysterics.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • phyrehartphyrehart Member UncommonPosts: 7

I like the over all love for the solo player.  The true solo player.   They can be all and not have to profect any one crafting option. 

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    If at least half of this comes into fruition, it should be astonishing.
  • piratekainpiratekain Member UncommonPosts: 8

Unfortunately I'm not playing an MMO where I can only have and MASTER less than all professions. I was really hoping we could do all of them like we can in the offline games. That's the part I do enjoy in the MMO's. I'd have to have more than one toon just to make everything. I hate having to do that. I did that in WoW and a few others and I won't do that again. If I can have multiple toons each with different professions in sense having them all anyway then we should be able to do them all on just one toon! All or nothing and apparently its nothing. Not to mention there is too little gear slots for a dungeon delve game. They keep taking out gear slots with each game and it pisses me off. I want to make or find all those not have them combined into one or a few pieces. I'm very disappointed in what the Elder Scrolls Online has become.

No multiple head slot, too few gear slots, too few cosmetics slots, can't MASTER all professions, can't master all class types, Not what I was hoping ESO would be.