Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, I only have to play to Level 15

Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

NW's UI and controls are total fail. Luckilly I only have to put up with the annoying POS until level 15 and then I can disapper into the foundry only coming out when I have to put up with testing a module, although I have other to do that.

Comments

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    lol
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

NW's UI and controls are total fail. Luckilly I only have to put up with the annoying POS until level 15 and then I can disapper into the foundry only coming out when I have to put up with testing a module, although I have other to do that.

Neverwinters controls and Ui are about as standard as can be, not sure what you've been playing for the last several years. Really is Hitting "I" for inventory or "C" for character screen that new to you? and WASD for movement has been standard for years and years in most AAA MMO's.

SOrry to hear you hate the Ui but glad to hear you'll be working on Foundry quests as the game can really use the quests, and it looks like the foundry will allow players to make quests as good if not better then the cryptic  people

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I don't get what people mean by this. The UI is fully customizable and uses all the nice shortcuts, which you can also personalize anyway.

It's like the people who complain about the graphics, when I couldn't think any better graphics to create deep, immersive dungeon atmospheres. I know it's matter of taste, but then you see the same people saying that Wildstar graphics are awesome, when they are 8 years old WoW copy-paste, and my jaw just drops to the ground.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I don't get what people mean by this. The UI is fully customizable and uses all the nice shortcuts, which you can also personalize anyway.

It's like the people who complain about the graphics, when I couldn't think any better graphics to create deep, immersive dungeon atmospheres. I know it's matter of taste, but then you see the same people saying that Wildstar graphics are awesome, when they are 8 years old WoW copy-paste, and my jaw just drops to the ground.

Hate to break it to you, but while WildStar's graphics may be cartoony, they aren't more dated than Neverwinter. That just isn't true. Neverwinter has a much better art style for a D&D game, that's absolutely true. However, (at least in my opinion) WildStar's art direction totally works for what that game's trying to do. It reminds me more of team fortress / pixar than it does of WoW, tbh.

That said, I think a lot of people are giving this game a bad rap for no good reason. The word on the street is this game is awful. However, at least in my experience, it's a fun updated version of the old DDO. And, to my knowledge, the game was never supposed to be anything but that. It seems to me that a lot of people jumped into this game expecting WoW 2.0, and when they didn't get it they just marked it as 'terrible game' instead of realizing that it might just not be the game they're looking for.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276

dont get me wrong i like the game but is the ui fully customizable? ive always changed the wasd keys to the arrow keys but didnt see anyway to do that in nw hopefully im wrong no biggy if im not ill still be playing this game :) 

I'm pretty sure you can change any shortcuts. I didn't do any changes for the Closed Beta since it felt all rather intuitive, but I'll definitely check when they launch Open Beta.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Why do we need so many of these posts from ignorant players who don't know how to keybind? Also the default feels perfectly natural.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Why do we need so many of these posts from ignorant players who don't know how to keybind? Also the default feels perfectly natural.

ive managed to change it on every other game tho there were a lot of options i just didnt see away to change the wasd i could be wrong but really forums are surely for asking questions as well as giving opinions without some jerk making rude comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Yes Neverwinter graphics is nice but only as a cover, more you look into it faster you realize that is not detailed ...

On the onter side WildStar graphics are maybe wow like cartoony style but the details are awesome ...

details and depth are what matters to me, not the cover or first immpression

Originally posted by Dogblaster

Yes Neverwinter graphics is nice but only as a cover, more you look into it faster you realize that is not detailed ...

On the onter side WildStar graphics are maybe wow like cartoony style but the details are awesome ...

details and depth are what matters to me, not the cover or first immpression

As someone else said, it's matter of taste. I left my cartoony needs when I became an adult quite some years ago, and I'm looking for something else in a video-game. It doesn't have to be ultra-realistic, but I want things that at least create a fitting atmosphere and allow for some immersion. NWO does that brilliantly, and that's all that matters to me. 

The only one other game I'm looking forward to within next year is TESO, for the same reason. I couldn't play cartoony games. The "artistic choice" defense feels like cheapass excuse to not try to make something actually good.

To each their own.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Tindale111

dont get me wrong i like the game but is the ui fully customizable? ive always changed the wasd keys to the arrow keys but didnt see anyway to do that in nw hopefully im wrong no biggy if im not ill still be playing this game :) 

Yes, you can, but it is a little screwy....I didn't like the UI myself, I hated the 'F' to interact with things, and the looting working on walking over stuff half the time, and the other times hitting a key to loot...I much prefer having mouse controls, if you don't like 'tab' targeting thats fine, but I found no need for the mouse buttons to be the main buttons for spells/attacks and such...Kind of takes away from the great tool a mouse is imo....Also I thought the class I played was bland/boring...Kind of sucks, since I have wanted a forgotten realms mmo to come out for a long time, but this one is way off the mark for features that I was looking for.

I think if people are good with the UI and such, then they probably will like the game, due to the foundry.  I wasn't bothered by the graphics...I don't need something to be cutting edge or I won't play it....Some of the smaller budget games that look like a kid drew stick figures or something can be annoying, but that obviously isn't the case with this game.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Xthos
    Originally posted by Tindale111

Yes, you can, but it is a little screwy....I didn't like the UI myself, I hated the 'F' to interact with things, and the looting working on walking over stuff half the time, and the other times hitting a key to loot...I much prefer having mouse controls, if you don't like 'tab' targeting thats fine, but I found no need for the mouse buttons to be the main buttons for spells/attacks and such...Kind of takes away from the great tool a mouse is imo....Also I thought the class I played was bland/boring...Kind of sucks, since I have wanted a forgotten realms mmo to come out for a long time, but this one is way off the mark for features that I was looking for.

I think if people are good with the UI and such, then they probably will like the game, due to the foundry.  I wasn't bothered by the graphics...I don't need something to be cutting edge or I won't play it....Some of the smaller budget games that look like a kid drew stick figures or something can be annoying, but that obviously isn't the case with this game.

I agree, the foundry is awesome, but most people prefer games where their characters have more options (spells) to choose from... Combined with melle attacks rooting people in place, many might decide the combat system is lacking, and they will not even play the game long enough to get to the foundry of awesomness and diversity

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91
    if only you have stated the reason/s why you considered them as fail, then this could've been a more productive thread. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'm loving the game, enough said.

• tweetstweets Member UncommonPosts: 10

Personally, I love the game feel.

What was driving me NUTS was that Q and E were action buttons.  While for a lot of people this might be fine, but I'm used to being able to use Q and E to strafe left and right.

I didn't get a chance to investigate key mapping, and am glad to hear it's there.  I will, however, be playing on release, and will try to adapt the UI to my tastes, instead of moaning. :)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    You can strafe with WSAD you don't need to use seperate strafe keys.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by aesperus

I don't get what people mean by this. The UI is fully customizable and uses all the nice shortcuts, which you can also personalize anyway.   It's like the people who complain about the graphics, when I couldn't think any better graphics to create deep, immersive dungeon atmospheres. I know it's matter of taste, but then you see the same people saying that Wildstar graphics are awesome, when they are 8 years old WoW copy-paste, and my jaw just drops to the ground.

Hate to break it to you, but while WildStar's graphics may be cartoony, they aren't more dated than Neverwinter. That just isn't true. Neverwinter has a much better art style for a D&D game, that's absolutely true. However, (at least in my opinion) WildStar's art direction totally works for what that game's trying to do. It reminds me more of team fortress / pixar than it does of WoW, tbh.

That said, I think a lot of people are giving this game a bad rap for no good reason. The word on the street is this game is awful. However, at least in my experience, it's a fun updated version of the old DDO. And, to my knowledge, the game was never supposed to be anything but that. It seems to me that a lot of people jumped into this game expecting WoW 2.0, and when they didn't get it they just marked it as 'terrible game' instead of realizing that it might just not be the game they're looking for.

How can you compare this to WildStar? WildStar hasba unique and engaging story while this game looks to be a hack job of has been done content. 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Well, do you want awesome graphics or do you want alot of players? I think you want the second right?  The number one reason why so many newer MMOs are so bad is because of the graphics.  They're trying to make them look like super realistic, uber graphics.  In doing so, you make it so alot of people can't play, and some of those that can play, they hate it because everything feels clunky, because they get 5-10 fps.  I don't know how many times I've said this this week alone, but here it goes again:  If you have a game that can only play on only 10000 super computers, you're going to fail, because the maximum number you can have play your game is 10,000 people.  If you make a game that is accessible and plays well on just about any computer, you could have upto over a billion people playing your game...
    Originally posted by birdycephon

How can you compare this to WildStar? WildStar hasba unique and engaging story while this game looks to be a hack job of has been done content. 

Woah. 

A WoW clone wannabe that doesn't even hide it, and of which barely anything is known about story-wise now has better lore and story than a 40 years old and ongoing rich and deep setting like Forgotten Realms, which for many is considered the father of all fantasy settings. Good job. You're not ridiculising yourself at all by saying that. *golfclap*

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68

It's pretty much a console port to PC style UI.  If you've played console ARPGs before but never a PC port of one it'll probably take just a little bit of getting used to.  If you've never played a console ARPG it will take a whole lot of getting used to.  And of course if you hate that style of gameplay, you'll probably hate it in this game as well.  It's the same style as DCUO for the most part, which was designed for consoles.

Why they chose this style for a PC only game?  I have no idea, maybe they intend or intended to release it on consoles at some point.  But I still think the combat is fun, even if the UI is a little awkward.  The only real issue I have with the UI is that targeting can be a pain, especially if you want to use some abilities optimally.

I don't get what people mean by this. The UI is fully customizable and uses all the nice shortcuts, which you can also personalize anyway.   It's like the people who complain about the graphics, when I couldn't think any better graphics to create deep, immersive dungeon atmospheres. I know it's matter of taste, but then you see the same people saying that Wildstar graphics are awesome, when they are 8 years old WoW copy-paste, and my jaw just drops to the ground.

Woah. 

A WoW clone wannabe that doesn't even hide it, and of which barely anything is known about story-wise now has better lore and story than a 40 years old and ongoing rich and deep setting like Forgotten Realms, which for many is considered the father of all fantasy settings. Good job. You're not ridiculising yourself at all by saying that. *golfclap*

Right, setting is about the only thng its got going for it. So please tell me, what part of the story you've experinced in THIS game did you find interesting? And good job inventing a new word. Insulting me really made me see things your way.
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

Woah. 

Right, setting is about the only thng its got going for it. So please tell me, what part of the story you've experinced in THIS game did you find interesting? And good job inventing a new word. Insulting me really made me see things your way.

I just don't understand why people like him have to be like My game/opinion > Anything you say.  Why can't Neverwinter and Wildstar co-exist?  I personally will be playing them both.  Calm down people.  Games are for fun.

The original comparison was about graphic styles, and how some people complain about Neverwinter graphics being dated, while I have spotted them being happy with Wildstar - which has dated AND cartoony graphics. It doesn't matter, you can like one graphic style over another, and that's legitimate. I understand that some people may prefer cartoony WoW-cloned graphics, I liked them too when I was younger.

But then came this other genious saying pulling a different discussion out of nowhere saying that Wildstar has an actually engaging story unlike Neverwinter. This is when things turn hilarious. Firstly, Wildstar isn't even in beta, and nothing is known about its story, other than a few very generic details about the setting. Second, Neverwinter's lore is Forgotten Realm's lore, which I'll say again, is a 40 years old setting with infinite layers of depth in which everything is defined to the minimum detail. There are even real dictionaries to translate elven (espruar) to common.

I don't know if it's gonna make you change your mind, but sometimes it's alright to accept you were wrong saying something ridiculous. Also, ppologies for misspelling one word while typing my third language. I would have written it in Spanish of French free of misspelling, but then you'd understand nothing.

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

The original comparison was about graphic styles, and how some people complain about Neverwinter graphics being dated, while I have spotted them being happy with Wildstar - which has dated AND cartoony graphics. It doesn't matter, you can like one graphic style over another, and that's legitimate. I understand that some people may prefer cartoony WoW-cloned graphics, I liked them too when I was younger.

But then came this other genious saying pulling a different discussion out of nowhere saying that Wildstar has an actually engaging story unlike Neverwinter. This is when things turn hilarious. Firstly, Wildstar isn't even in beta, and nothing is known about its story, other than a few very generic details about the setting. Second, Neverwinter's lore is Forgotten Realm's lore, which I'll say again, is a 40 years old setting with infinite layers of depth in which everything is defined to the minimum detail. There are even real dictionaries to translate elven (espruar) to common.

I don't know if it's gonna make you change your mind, but sometimes it's alright to accept you were wrong saying something ridiculous. Also, ppologies for misspelling one word while typing my third language. I would have written it in Spanish of French free of misspelling, but then you'd understand nothing.

Just because neverwinter has a nice backstory of lore to utilize does not mean that it is used in an engaging way in the game.

While its true that Wildstar is not even in beta yet and the only way you could of played it is through pax east, it is possible to have done so and know something about it.

I feel far more connected to the stories of Wildstar than I do the stories of Neverwinter. I am not going to argue that neverwinter probably has more backstory to draw from, because it probably does. Your opinion may differ and thats ok.

You know what, I'm done arguing with guy. All I will say is, you'll see.