Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Should I buy this?

RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

I love counter-strike 1.6/source!

I love MMORPG's!

I saw this and was like! Oh great, another MMO who promised a ton and delivered about 50%!

Is this game good? In the sense that they say "MMOFPS"!? Do you get random loot from monsters that involve random FPS stats? Or is it the next failboat where it is 90% streamlined for profit??????????????

I don't want to buy this game if it is 90% BS and it's a crappy shoooter with optional faceroll items.

Who can give me a real answer? PM ME!

Comments

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Redding, CAPosts: 577Member

I don't think it is going to be something you enjoy, but I don't think it is 90% BS failboat either.  I don't think going intot his game with expectations that it be like any other game is going to work. 

I think someone else summed it up pretty well when they said somewhere in between Borderlands and Mass Effect. 

The social part of the ame, chat, grouping, etc... I feel needs some work. The PvE I found fun and holds a lot of promise if the game is bigger then the beta showed. 

The PvP, I did not care for, you get the guys running around with rocket launchers, and grenade launchers jumping around like Halo noobs. Or you get matched up with the one man army. <one match had 16 100 to 250 Ego power players, against the same type team but they had one guy on their team that was almost power level 500, so he could pretty much one shot s with an LMG that was all decked out..

So while the game is fun in my opinion, I don't think it is going to appeal to the masses, or the big time shooter hardcore gamers. 

I think it is more story line fed, with the TV show as additional story, and the side quest, and co-op "dungeons" for lack of a better term.

Not so nice guy!

• thebarbalagthebarbalag Columbia, MOPosts: 3Member

I don't know about not appealing to the mainstream. I completely agree with the Mass Effect and Borderlands comparison, as the game feels quite a bit like both of those...both of those incredibly popular titles. I think, if it's marketed properly, it could be very successful. I've been raving about it to my friends who play a lot of Borderlands, who hadn't even heard about it.

It is not an FPS. It's a third person shooter, with character and weapon customization built in. It is not much at all like a hardcore shooter. If that's what you're looking for, don't look here. It has much more in common with Mass Effect 2 than Halo or Call of Duty (don't know about Counterstrike, never played it).

Yes, you get loot drops. The weapons vary in stats and function, from amount of damage, to ease of control (harder to control weapons require greater skill to mitigate kickback, and such), to rate of fire, clip size, accuracy, and so on. Pump shotguns work differently from combat shotguns, alien shotguns work differently than human-tech ones. There are grenade launchers that launch them one at a time, and they explode on impact, or that can launch 3+ sticky grenades that explode when commanded. There are elemental effects, crowd control effects, etc. Shields vary in toughness, recharge rate, and recharge delay.

Character customization, in abilities, passive and active, seems very, very deep. Four active abilities (you start with one, can acquire all of them), that can be upgraded, tons of passives, each of which can be upgraded, with a limited (but grows with exp) ability to equip them. ATM, I think I can have 4 different passives and my 1 acive (don't think you can ever have more than 1 active equipped). These change all sorts of things, from recharging shields or reloading weapons on a kill, to increasing resistance, changing damage, and so on.

Haven't tried PvP, but have done a bunch of PvE, including grouping and group instances. Solo PvE is incredibly challenging, requires a lot of forethought and strategy. With a group, it's definitely more fun (though solo play is still a blast, can just be rough at times), and, though the content scales, the fun and strategic potential of coordinating different abilities (not to mention, you can grant xp, loot, rep, and damage buffs to your group) makes it well worth it.

I think, if you enjoyed either Mass Effect (2, mostly), or Borderlands (either), there is a really good chance you'll enjoy this. It may not be incredibly deep (who knows, the beta isn't really the whole shebang - rewards are turned off for Arkfalls and challenges, we only see a tiny portion of the game. and PvP depends a lot on player base), but it's at least as deep in solo play as any other console title, and it doesn't have a subscription, so that's what you're paying for anyway. After a few days in the beta, I don't regret my pre-order in the slightest. If I get a few months of regular play out of it, I'll continue to be pleased...maybe I'm easy. *shrug*

• SynthetickSynthetick Portland, ORPosts: 977Member
    Originally posted by Raserei

I love MMORPG's!

I saw this and was like! Oh great, another MMO who promised a ton and delivered about 50%!

Is this game good? In the sense that they say "MMOFPS"!? Do you get random loot from monsters that involve random FPS stats? Or is it the next failboat where it is 90% streamlined for profit??????????????

I don't want to buy this game if it is 90% BS and it's a crappy shoooter with optional faceroll items.

The comments above me might of touched on my points, but I didn't read all the way through them as they were a bit lengthy.

The first thing to point out, and you might be aware from watching gameplay or screenshots, is it is definitely not a MMOFPS, so your love for Counter-Strike is completely irrelevant at this point. It's a third-person shooter, which completely changes the mechanics of the game as opposed to first-person.

There are no "random FPS" stats, either. As you tackle more difficult content, do you run the possibility of getting an upgraded weapon with more attributes and higher base damage? Absolutely. 

Honestly, the easiest way to explain the game is comparing it to a third person borderlands. The equipment slots are pretty much the same; primary weapon, secondary weapon, shield, grenades, and then a skill tree/block to invest in abilities for your character. 

The progression is virtually the same as Borderlands in terms of equipment, just lacking the player levels. Instead of levels, you have your EGO.

• sancher36sancher36 housePosts: 457Member

The only way to know if you will truely like a game is to play it for yourself, other opinions on the game are always going to differ. The game is not for everyone and it comes down to personal choice. 

I just feel its pointless asking others before you take a look at it yourself. Playing the beta yourself would give you an idea on if you'll like it or not. 

Remember the movie Battlefield Earth - it was trashed by most movie critics yet I still enjoyed it. 

• morpheusxpmorpheusxp Winston Salem, NCPosts: 11Member
    I am not a fan of shooters at all but decided to give Defiance a try, just to experience something a lil different. I have to say after I finally got the hang of the UI and the controls I was really enjoying myself. The gameplay was fast paced but not frantic. The graphics while not the best I've ever seen were quite decent and about what I expected. I had a good time doing the side quests on the way to completing the main quests. I have to say I was quite surprised at how much fun I had. I've about 90% convinced myself I'm gonna pick this title up. It will be a good diversion from the same ol' fantasy MMOs that I've been playing for the last decade eg: WoW,GW,Rift,GW2. If I spend a couple months playing it I will feel as though I've gotten my moneys worth out of it. Heck I've spent $60 on a concert ticket or two and they only last a few hours.
  • JacobinJacobin Toronto, ONPosts: 697Member Uncommon

The loot system is similar to borderlands in how there are many different types of weapons that vary in type, damage and element.

I would hesistate to compare the combat to Mass Effect. Defiance has a much more basic combat system:  you can only have 1 active ability, there is no sticky cover and the jumping and rolling are super floaty.

All you really do is shoot your gun and ocassionally press 1 for your power or G for nades. I am sure that people will get bored of this very quickly after a week or 2.

• IsturiIsturi Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,509Member
    Hey it is B2P so buy it play it for 65 days to get your money worth if you dont like it by then who cares eh lol Nothing venture nothing gain.

• SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon

I love MMORPG's!

Ok... image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,941Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Isturi

Hey it is B2P so buy it play it for 65 days to get your money worth if you dont like it by then who cares eh lol Nothing venture nothing gain.

Or he can wait a couple months and buy it after the price drops... it is not a terrible game, just not worth the $60 or more if you need to pay for one of the console network access deals (or so I am told). I might buy at the Summer Steam sale myself, if I remember. But not for more than $20.
  • r3dl4ncer3dl4nce ...Posts: 114Member Common

Defiance promise to be a MMOTPS with a tie in with a TV Show. And it deliver 100% of this promises.

It's NOT a MMOFPS, it's a MMOTPS (third person shooter). You get loot from monsters: moneys, weapons (but no gear trendmill, weapons have different stats or mod slots for great customization but little power increases, not like in classical MMORPG where a level 80 weapon is 10000000000x better than a level 1), shields, gulanite, grenades, ammos.

• sudosudo Tel-AvivPosts: 697Member Uncommon

I can give you a real answer.

Yes.

You are welcome.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon
    I'd say no, the game is just a gimped to hell version of borderlands, be better just to get borderlands 2 and the dlc's and play it online with up to 4 people. Its an overall better game than defiance.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon

Really only you can decide. 

For me, I have never really liked First Person Shooters so that was a hurdle that I tried to overcome in beta but sadly couldn't.  I feel the game has that "too linear" gameplay for my tastes and the FPS further reiterates my dislike of it.  But to each their own.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JustAHermitJustAHermit Sacramento, CAPosts: 24Member

The game has very mixed reactions right now but I personally feel it'll go pretty far hence why I pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe Edition.

It would be great to have been in the beta to check it out for yourself but uhhhh, if you're on the border, I recommend waiting until final release or after a few patches to see if they've fixed the issues/problems in the beta. Plus, Trion is great, they listen to feedback and work on what needs to be done so that alone was a seller. If you go to GreenManGaming, you can get a 20% off coupon currently which may provide incentive to buying it but in the end...

THE CHOICE IS ENTIRELY UP TO YOU.

• KuinnKuinn MestaPosts: 2,093Member

I dont get the Broderlands/Mass Effect comparisons. I love both Borderlands and Mass Effect series, and I could not find much similarities.

Mass Effect's story involvement is in it's own league, only similarity between Defiance and Mass Effect is that they are third person shooters, but the gameplay does not feel the same. Mass Effect not only look and sound different, but also play different since it's a cover based shooter.

Borderlands then again is a first person shooter, and the game looks, sounds, and feels very different, the only thing Defiance and Borderlands shares is the loot collection and driving around with vehicles.

Anyone hoping to find somekind of epic crossbreed between Borderlands and Mass Effect here will be sorely dissapointed. I'm not saying that Defiance is a bad game, just saying that's not the right kind of comparison. Defiance is not a bad game imo, but I'm really on the edge if I should or shouldnt get it based on the last weekend beta, and usually if I cant make up my mind it's better to just hold back, check a few updates what they bring etc.

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce ...Posts: 114Member Common

Originally posted by azzamasin
    For me, I have never really liked First Person Shooters
    Defiance is a Third Person Shooter, so why are you talking about FPS?

Originally posted by Siveria
    I'd say no, the game is just a gimped to hell version of borderlands, be better just to get borderlands 2 and the dlc's and play it online with up to 4 people. Its an overall better game than defiance.

So you are saying that a single player (Borderlands) have open world multiplayer mode, with dynamic events like arkfall where 60+ players all play together (and that was in beta), a Shadow War of 64vs64 and 128vs128 competitive PvP, online character progression and customization, mmmh?
  • brycegritbrycegrit Dudeno, WAPosts: 77Member
    Its worth the money, the beta was awesome for xbox 360. They're were very few glitches and bugs that i noticed and everything plays out really smooth. And yeah its b2p so really if you don't like it and don't have fun than you can take it back but seriously i doubt you will its one of best MMO games ive ever played.