Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: Nexus Shines at PAX East

13»

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    I can't get my head around who this game was designed for visually.  As an adult gamer, the look doesn't appeal to me in the least.  Guild Wars 2 is about as far in the direction of cartoon graphics I want to get.  The gameplay for this game would have to be phenominal for me to get over the looks and actually like my character and the game world.  I don't see that happening since we're just talking about another themepark.

I think the reason they went with current look is because they took into account accessibilty of WOW engine which can be played on just any computer. Wildstar will be the same and for those who are interested in it won't have to worry about their PC being outdated. The game runs very smooth and will also age well just like WOW did after so many years.

From business point of view it makes sense.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    I can't get my head around who this game was designed for visually.  As an adult gamer, the look doesn't appeal to me in the least.  Guild Wars 2 is about as far in the direction of cartoon graphics I want to get.  The gameplay for this game would have to be phenominal for me to get over the looks and actually like my character and the game world.  I don't see that happening since we're just talking about another themepark.

Not all adult gamers like the same thing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    i m 36 years old, have 2 kids and i love cartoon style graphics. i dont understant why an adult should dislike this art style
  • ZalajinnZalajinn Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Manolios
    i m 36 years old, have 2 kids and i love cartoon style graphics. i dont understant why an adult should dislike this art style

Exactly, it is like, you love Toy Story as a  child, but you suddenly start to hate it as you become an adult...

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    No world housing or player cities? How on earth can someone say that this "one-ups" the housing from Star Wars Galaxies?

That one is easy, and its coming from an SWG fan.

Housing in SWG had several major flaws. The biggest was the fact that there were ditches every 10-15 steps that vastly limited building space and created cities that look horrible, then the fact that someone could take a mission that placed a lair right in your doorway that couldnt be attacked and blocked your entrance.

Just because the housing isnt open world, doesnt mean it isnt good. The fact that you can open it up to the pulic shows they know houses should be a social part of the game. They learned well from Atlantica Online. housing not open world, but still can be open to the public and if they really want to take from that game...give the player bonuses for people coming to the home.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    the video looks great, B2P would make the most sense for this game. In my opinion and Nobody has to agree with it, only NCSOFT and Carbine ;D

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

If anything, I even like 'em more than I did as a child! :)

Back then I was all about realistic images (read: movies with realistic effects such as Star Wars), I was looking for that "oooh" factor. Now I'm more into evocative images, with plenty creative use of color and unusual, exaggerated shapes. 

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

The game has a lot of promise.  I'd rather find a fun game than a game with "realistic" graphics.  There are a few things I don't like about the style of the game, but the game looks too entertaining to avoid it because of a few minor gripes.  And the humor and quality of the "meet the" faction movies they've made so far is impressive.  Yes, its not gameplay, but I see talent and creativity which is a good sign.

Still, I don't want to fall for hype.  I'll be optimistic, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't meet half the goals it is promising.

Housing: I never cared as much as most people do about this topic.  If housing is done wrong, it pulls people away from the world.  This is especially true if they let you do everything there including crafting... everyone hidden away in their own instances.

I really can't see a game with this much development going f2p, but I also can't see anyone seriously trying subscriptions anymore.  My bet is on b2p, which is a good compromise in my mind.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Nikopol

If anything, I even like 'em more than I did as a child! :)

Back then I was all about realistic images (read: movies with realistic effects such as Star Wars), I was looking for that "oooh" factor. Now I'm more into evocative images, with plenty creative use of color and unusual, exaggerated shapes. 

As a graphic artist who draws in a similar style to the characters in WildStar, I personally love them since the game will LITERALLY encourage me to be creative.  That may be rare in the general populace of players, but still, there are some artists out there who appreciate the personality this game is striving for.  The exaggerated features, shoulder widths, and long alien faces really look good to me.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I love all the features and what we know about the game design, which just makes me 100x more furious that they decided that "WoW in Space" should be the art style. After the first trailers, I really thought they were going for the early Pixar/Dreamworks CGI look, not an artstyle so WoW-like that you start to wonder if they didn't rip some of the textures right out of that game.

Too late now, the assets have been created and they can't scrap them and start all over. For me, I think they managed to take a game I should have loved and flushed it down the toilet with an idiotic art design decision.

Honestly, I don't think I've been more ticked off at anything an MMO developer has done in the last half decade...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

MMOs that launch as buy to play or free to play usually announce very early on that they will.

MMOs that do not talk about their payment model right up to and after beta starts usually launch as subscription.

I am hoping it launches as subscription.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

MMOs that launch as buy to play or free to play usually announce very early on that they will.

MMOs that do not talk about their payment model right up to and after beta starts usually launch as subscription.

I am hoping it launches as subscription.

i think it will be b2p

• AyuroxAyurox Member UncommonPosts: 64

I dont know where everyone is getting that this game will be free to play, its NOT going to be F2P its going to be a sub game where you have to pay monthly which is the best !!!