Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Transfers to Medium Populations Worlds

observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/free-transfers-to-medium-populations-worlds/?utm_source=client

From now until April 1, you can transfer to worlds with a medium-sized population for free! You’re still restricted to one world transfer per week, so choose wisely.

Here are the current medium-population worlds:

NORTH AMERICA

• Eredon Terrace
  • Ferguson’s Crossing
  • Gate of Madness
  • Henge of Denravi
  • Northern Shiverpeaks
  • Sorrow’s Furnace

EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST

• Arborstone (FR)
  • Dzagonur (DE)
  • Fissure of Woe
  • Piken Square
  • Ruins of Surmia
  • Vabbi
  • Whiteside Ridge

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    doom & gloom posts commencing in ....3 2 1
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I don't understand why PS is medium sized. Today the amount of people in WvW and pve zones was ridiculous. It actually felt like the maps were far too small for the amount of people running around.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

It's good for the game that they are not too shy to do this early.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by observer

So i am confused you are in favor of it or against it? lol

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Without letting people move their guild advancement with them it will be very hard to convince anything but the really big guilds to move, and even those might be reluctant.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Not much chance to fly since clearly there are problems of over population in some servers, especially during the boss world events (which made Arenanet chance the special loot from each world boss event from once per character per day to once per account per day) and even WvW queues.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Pretty sure the overflow is from the guesting and not the home based players. I know TC got hammered all the time.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Looks like they want to spread the population a bit, so that high pop servers would be less crowded. A good idea, but I doubt free transfers are going to accomplish much.
  • tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Good idea but doubfull it will have good results.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Not much chance to fly since clearly there are problems of over population in some servers, especially during the boss world events (which made Arenanet chance the special loot from each world boss event from once per character per day to once per account per day) and even WvW queues.

agree - WOW has always offered the same thing

free transfers off of overcrowded servers

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Dont worry, if it was swtor then yes, but since we are talking in GW2 is something good, revolutionary and innovative.  

Hikaru77
    When swtor was 7 months we had seen:
    layoffs;
    server mergers;
    bad financial reports;
    more layoffs;
    more bad financial reports;
    freemium model announced.

But I'm sure haters and fanboys have been the reason for that.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Dont worry, if it was swtor then yes, but since we are talking in GW2 is something good, revolutionary and innovative.  

Ok.  So just to help a meathead like me understand things correctly, SWTOR server merges last September and the recent announcement of the Asian Pacific servers merging with the US servers is exactly the same as Anet offering free transfers from Highly populated servers to Medium populates servers.  

To think that this community has tricked me into not believing that reducing servers is the same as keeping the same amount of servers.  Dang you MMORPG community!  How dare you!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by SteeJanz

Ok.  So just to help a meathead like me understand things correctly, SWTOR server merges last September and the recent announcement of the Asian Pacific servers merging with the US servers is exactly the same as Anet offering free transfers from Highly populated servers to Medium populates servers.  

To think that this community has tricked me into not believing that reducing servers is the same as keeping the same amount of servers.  Dang you MMORPG community!  How dare you!

You are talking from a hater point of view, and thats why i said that. The ¨merge¨ didnt was something bad, i mean, they did it with 1 mill of subs or so. The problem was the swtor servers, too many and with a low population cap so 6 months after launch and even with more than 1 mill of subs we did find most of the servers with low population or ¨ghost towns¨, lot of people just stop playing the game. The answer to that problem was the ¨megaserver technology¨  that we have now, with the merge lot of people returned to the game, at this point swtor doesnt have 1.7 mill of subs but with all the F2P players, they have more than 2 mill playing the game with just 17 servers (8 from NA and 9 from EU) , all of them heavy and full at primetime. So from a hater point of view the merge was a sign of the dead of swtor, the truth is far away from that and all you need to do is take a look at the server status. 

Originally posted by Torvaldr

So free transfers from high to low pop servers now means merges and closures?  Good to know.

WoW has been doing this for years.  They must be tanking too.

Just to clarify.  Rift has had massive server merges.  TOR has had massive server merges.  I say that because they had a lot of servers, then they merged them into fewer servers.  Now Rift has, for a long time now, offered free server transfers even if they weren't merging servers.  The former I call "server merges".  The latter I call "free server transfers".   See how that works?  Different words mean different things.

Yikes.  I got the "words mean different things" response.   I guess I was lacking in my forum edicate and obviously failed to get my point across.   I guess people really need the "/sarcasm". 

When SWTOR was interjected into the thread, it had to be at some defense of SWTOR or a pot shot at GW2.  The "Free Transfer" to higher populated servers in SWTOR was to reduce the servers and bring players together.  Since GW2 was doing the opposite of what SWTOR was doing, the two are not comparable.  Even though we live in a world that constantly bends definitions to fit our own desires, it's a bit of a stretch to say they the opposite is the same.

You are talking from a hater point of view, and thats why i said that. The ¨merge¨ didnt was something bad, i mean, they did it with 1 mill of subs or so. The problem was the swtor servers, too many and with a low population cap so 6 months after launch and even with more than 1 mill of subs we did find most of the servers with low population or ¨ghost towns¨, lot of people just stop playing the game. The answer to that problem was the ¨megaserver technology¨  that we have now, with the merge lot of people returned to the game, at this point swtor doesnt have 1.7 mill of subs but with all the F2P players, they have more than 2 mill playing the game with just 17 servers (8 from NA and 9 from EU) , all of them heavy and full at primetime. So from a hater point of view the merge was a sign of the dead of swtor, the truth is far away from that and all you need to do is take a look at the server status. 

Nope.  Talking from a facts base point of view.  Even though it was rather smart aleck.   I hope SWTOR is doing great for the players that want to play it.  No reason to defend it by trying to make it sound like SWTOR did the same thing when they didn't.  Server merger's are to reduce servers/costs not population.  Merging servers is commonly taken as a sign of failure in the MMO industry.   It isn't necessarly true in all cases though.  Bioware could have been a little to optimistic at the beginning and started with to many or they could have needed more servers at the beginning because the game was more popular at the beginning.  Either way I don't care.  It still isnt the same thing as what GW2 is doing.   Sorry if that hurts peoples feelings.  It doesn't mean GW2 is better than SWTOR.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Any of these have Australian players on them?

Im trying to find one that actually has players on it around the same time that I play!

Originally posted by zastroph

Im trying to find one that actually has players on it around the same time that I play!

The answer is always 'Tarnished Coast'.

Or just guest to that server.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

I have no intention of paying 1,800 to switch!!!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Free transfers! haha the game is dieing and...

Eh, sorry just got bored of doing the silly "This is a sign the servers are doing good/bad" bs before i finished going on a rant. Though it is kind of chuckle worthy they put it as 'medium population' server as the title. Anyways...

Good to see that they have it for the medium population worlds, though it would be good if they put more restrictions about it, since it can just spark the same abuse as last time with people swapping to the 'winning side' given its a lower population server. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Good to see that they have it for the medium population worlds, though it would be good if they put more restrictions about it, since it can just spark the same abuse as last time with people swapping to the 'winning side' given its a lower population server. 

I think all leading WvW servers are high pop and, In practice, people not from highly competitive guilds are unlikely to swap to winning servers, because you can have casual fun in WvW no matter what the situation is.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I think all leading WvW servers are high pop and, In practice, people not from highly competitive guilds are unlikely to swap to winning servers, because you can have casual fun in WvW no matter what the situation is.

Mostly what's happening is, due to the lengthy period of time in which server transfers were free, you had lots of 'fair weather' people who would hop to whatever server was currently doing the best in WvW.

Now that server transfers have largely been locked (costs gems, and servers can't be full), Anet is trying to even the populations back out again. As it stands we still have the majority of players crowded into the tier 1-3 servers. (essentially the same ~9servers US, and ~6-9 servers EU). All of these servers tend to fluctuate between full & heavy still, and anytime there's a big event going on the lag / ques are pretty evident.

Definitely a good thing they are doing this, though I'm sure it won't be long before we see the 'proof GW2 sucks' threads making a reappearance as a result.

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

At launch Sea of Sorrows was the unofficial Oceanic server.  Not sure now though, because there was a big exodus of NA WvW guilds last month, and their WvW rankings dropped.  Not sure if the Oceanic guilds remained or not.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

Originally posted by HoiPoloi

At launch Sea of Sorrows was the unofficial Oceanic server.  Not sure now though, because there was a big exodus of NA WvW guilds last month, and their WvW rankings dropped.  Not sure if the Oceanic guilds remained or not.

Thx, but I will not be moving unless they make it free to do so!

I have no intention of paying 1,800 to switch!!!

Just guest on that server.

You'd get most of the benefits except some of that WvW stuff.

Gdemami -