Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will I be able to solo?

So my question is will I be able to solo play this game? I like playing mmog however I prefer to fly solo for a majority of my game time.

I played FF XI for a while. Soloing up to level 10 was fun however being forced in a group after level 10 sucked. I got my red mage up to level 50 or so but i gave up that game because I was tired of sitting around with my flag up everytime I wanted to do something.  When I could get a group it would take a hour to assemble and then it was time for me to leave as I have limited playtime. It's a shame about FFXI as I really liked that game.

As I am a full time parent im lucky to get maybe two hours of game time to myself a night before i crash into bed. That is why when I played WoW, I liked it alot. Wow was nice as I wasn't forced into a group to do stuff and within 25 seconds on logging on I was on to my next quest do. However WoW is tired and old for me now.

Will Realm Reborn be my replacement mmog I want? Will I be able to solo most stuff? Will I be doing quests or adventures or stuff within minutes of boot up? Or should i keep on looking?

Any responces will be greatly apreciated.

Comments

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Yeah grouping is easy for dungeons/instances . Dungeon finder like drivendawn said auto groups you with people. I also have a young child she is 5 but I still game hard 5 hours after the old 9-5 . But when the important things come up your family is first always so I know what your sayin .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

inb4 wai u wanna solo in mmorpg noob.

yes, you'll be able to solo to max lvl.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont understand why people would want to solo play in a MMORPG..

Why not play a single player RPG you will ahve a lot more fun.. but each to their own i guess..

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Why not play a single player RPG you will ahve a lot more fun.. but each to their own i guess..

Agree and disagree.

Mmorpgs are about a choice and if he wants to play solo he should be able to. I will play solo a lot of time too. For instance I prefer leveling solo in mmorpgs, because I am powerleveler, where I can level for 12+ hours straight and I really dont want to wait up for someone to eat, open doors, afk whatever,... only myself :D

BUT .. GROUPING should be always rewarded and better in mmorpgs, for instance I think when you level in group it should give you a lot more xp than solo and better loot than solo, this way players will always prefer grouping than solo. etc.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Spend a few minutes in the general chat of pretty much any game out there and you'll want some peace and quiet as well... 

• Keitaro333Keitaro333 Member UncommonPosts: 36

Have you thought about your question for a second before you asked it? Maybe he wants to have some interaction with real people some of the time (dungeons, community, player driven economy and trade) but also the option of playing solo if he doesnt have the time or the mood to wait around for a group of people just do a quest or grind abit.

I'd have thought its pretty obvious, thats why almost every MMO nowadays works like that. Because people like options.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    I dont mind the soloing, and there is soloable content. but when you can solo everything to max lvl easily, people will probably choose that over party base play. which kinda ruins the community. FFXi was a must for party base, and believe it or not the community was very good. hopefully XIV will capture that amzing journey that we took to reach end game in XI.

edit: sorry mis-post

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Not to derail the subject, but I have always wondered why they don't make scalable dungeons for folks that do like to solo mmorpgs.

If I come home from work I only have a short amount to time like the OP. So, if I have to take time to get a group together to do a dungeon it cuts into my time. ie come home from work, eat, pat the kids on the head, and start my own solo scalable dungeon, go to bed dreaming of my awesome loot I collected!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Agree and disagree.

Mmorpgs are about a choice and if he wants to play solo he should be able to. I will play solo a lot of time too. For instance I prefer leveling solo in mmorpgs, because I am powerleveler, where I can level for 12+ hours straight and I really dont want to wait up for someone to eat, open doors, afk whatever,... only myself :D

BUT .. GROUPING should be always rewarded and better in mmorpgs, for instance I think when you level in group it should give you a lot more xp than solo and better loot than solo, this way players will always prefer grouping than solo. etc.

^ This. I love the progressive feel of MMO's, and I can progress at an enjoyable rate when I am allowed to play at the pace I set. Since my wife also plays MMO's, I rarely roam alone which is great because I prefer to play with others, but when I do solo, I go at it for long stretches. On the other hand I am very social in my MMO's so if the game promotes group play without limiting it to strictly group play (FFXI) then I am happy. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

I had a hard time selling my crafting items in Oblivion at the AH...no one would buy them. :)

Some people like interaction with other folks in different ways. I personally don't like grouping up because then I'm locked in and have to do something with them. If the phone rings you have to stop everyone and it can be a burden. Lots of little things can make up a game server and solo players should fit in all of them imho.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Not to derail the subject, but I have always wondered why they don't make scalable dungeons for folks that do like to solo mmorpgs.

If I come home from work I only have a short amount to time like the OP. So, if I have to take time to get a group together to do a dungeon it cuts into my time. ie come home from work, eat, pat the kids on the head, and start my own solo scalable dungeon, go to bed dreaming of my awesome loot I collected!

I like this concept. I would love more than anything a dungeon scaled for duo's or small groups. I had heard that Rifts did something like this but unfortunately the game got boring to us before it was implemented so we never gt to try it and I am unsure how well it worked. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

because of balancing dungeon so its equaly hard for 1man and full group is damn hard. Everyone would just run 1man dungeon if it was easyer just to gain the gear.

And my oppinion is dungeons are supposed to be group content ..so you want to play solo mmorpg? Go craft or something. Wanna do dungeons, raids? Find yourself a group.

There just must be some content that is doable only with group ... dungeons, raids, etc. are one of them :)

Originally posted by Dogblaster

because of balancing dungeon so its equaly hard for 1man and full group is damn hard. Everyone would just run 1man dungeon if it was easyer just to gain the gear.

And my oppinion is dungeons are group content so you want to play solo mmorpg? Go craft or something, wanna do dungeon? Find yourself a group.

I agree with that. But the devs need to take in account that parents have kids bothering them, the dishes need to be cleaned, the toilet is overflowing, and you have to stop everything because you have to go get more diapers. <-Right there is your balance! :)

• tatangtatang Member Posts: 2
    <div showborder"="">

Have you ever spent $50-60 on a single player game that you finish in a week?  Most single player games have maybe 20  hours worth of content! This is why I prefer to play MMO's over single player games, because I feel I get my moneys worth  out of them.

Originally posted by tatang
    <div showborder"="">

Have you ever spent $50-60 on a single player game that you finish in a week?  Most single player games have maybe 20  hours worth of content! This is why I prefer to play MMO's over single player games, because I feel I get my moneys worth  out of them.

True!

If you own Oblivion and Morrowind you can get a mod called Morroblivion that allows you to play both with the same character. You can cross between game realms and it works out quite nice. What is even better is Morrowind graphics are now the same as Oblivions! With this mod you can get 100s of hours of game time but nothing like you would get out of an mmorpg.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Heres how i see it: we want to have the option to solo for times we simply dont have enough time to group or are just not in the mood for it. We still play MMORPG's because we want to be part of a game community but that doesnt mean we want to be forced into a group for every bit of content.

It's really just that simple. =)

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Very solo friendly as far as I can tell, and much much easier to get groups than it was in FFXI.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I agree there should be a scale of lvl for solo mission, its tough sometimes finding a grp. I will say this the more people request more solo SE will problaby add more. Wow Wada is gone now.
  • mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70

I have a wife and 2 kids with a 3rd on the way so i can relate to the OP. From what I understand FFXIV is  also diving into the whole dynamic content through it's FATE system so it looks like soloing wont be a problem, with that said I also have a bit of a problem with people who want to solo in a MMORPG which by nature is suppose to be social. My problem is when these people expect to do everything solo while feeling they should recieve all the benefits of group rewards/experience.

Originally posted by mastersam21

I have a wife and 2 kids with a 3rd on the way so i can relate to the OP. From what I understand FFXIV is  also diving into the whole dynamic content through it's FATE system so it looks like soloing wont be a problem, with that said I also have a bit of a problem with people who want to solo in a MMORPG which by nature is suppose to be social. My problem is when these people expect to do everything solo while feeling they should recieve all the benefits of group rewards/experience.

Why? If I can do the same scaled content as a group, shouldn't I be rewarded the same or perhaps even greater since I did it alone? Just an idea.

I do understand where you are coming from, but it would be a unique concept that others may like. 

I'm not sure why we have to choose the role in an rpg as a group of players and be rewarded for working together. Why can't I choose a role as a single player who is one in the community? :) 

There is a lot to do in an mmorpg that you just can't do in a single player rpg, and as someone else said, you get way more hours of gameplay.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the OPs question and I am glad he asked it. It has helped me in deciding if this game is one I would like. 

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

There will be content that caters to both solo play and group play.

Quests will primarily be solo with some of the major story arcs possibly requiring a party.  FATEs can be participated in without having to be in a group.

Dungeons and endgame raids will require groups.  So far we've been told there will be dungeons oriented towards 4 or 8 players, and raids will probably encompass 2-3 full parties. (8 people per party)  Even for the smaller dungeons, they're releasing a content finder so that you'll be able to queue up for a group ala WoW and it should take less time to form a dungeon group if you're looking to finish one of those in a short amount of time.  Dungeons were timed for an hour in 1.0 so I don't expect that to change much.  Most dungeons could be cleared in half of that time.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    FFXIV Reborn is a themepark MMO. So soloing to max level is guraranteed.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by monstermmo

Heres how i see it: we want to have the option to solo for times we simply dont have enough time to group or are just not in the mood for it. We still play MMORPG's because we want to be part of a game community but that doesnt mean we want to be forced into a group for every bit of content.

It's really just that simple. =)

well you can always do a lot of things solo in mmorpgs from crafting, grinding mobs, explore .. but there will always be things which are created for group or raid only... you just cant blame developers not to give you scalable big ass hard end bosses so you can kill him solo when you dont want to group up. Doesnt make sence ...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Because "soloing" does not equal "being social".

I can't understand why some people don't understand this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    FFXIV Reborn is a themepark MMO. So soloing to max level is guraranteed.

Keep in mind that this game is oriented towards being able to do everything on one character and quests aren't repeatable, so people will have to do things other than questing to progress their other classes, unless they plan to make a new character for every class.