Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: Alpha and Betas

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Which phase of development are you most interested in acquiring.

If you would prefer to be in crash and burn testing then list that below.

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    I picked beta 2 because that's what comes with the tiers I'm considering.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

It depends largely if I can find a tier that fits just right (like that bed in the story with da' bears). At the moment I'm thinking Beta 1 (but that might change depending on how MJ defines Alpha in the revised tiers). I worry that I wouldn't be able to give enough time to do a good CnB but I do enjoy finding bugs, causing problem, and making chaos in the effort to find issues :)

• I voted BETA 2.  Considering that I or any player probably has little voice on what engine or mechanics the game is running on I would want to be at the heart of class balance testing.  The combat system I have confidence will be great but one of the biggest things for me is class balance and I;d like to help in testing the classes to make sure they are heading in the direction the DEVs and players feel they should.

I feel this would be around BETA 2+.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic GrenoblePosts: 222Member

I chose alpha, because i believe i can be of use. I know perfectly well it won't be anywhere near the final game, with tons of bugs and crashes, and i'm willing to spend time to help with solving those.

I never got into any alpha or even beta before, but from what i read on the other threads of this forum i think i should be able to fill a bug report.

• DieediDieedi MiramasPosts: 9Member
    first i was going to buy alpha tier but after what MJ said about what is alpha for him, especially the schedule thing, i prefer comme in beta 1.
  • Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member

Brief Explaination:  Alpha and Beta Builds:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380347/Brief-Explaination-Alpha-and-Beta-Builds.html

Beta test like a pro:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380424/Beta-test-like-a-pro.html

Anyone voting on this poll needs to read both of those threads first.  Alpha is not going to be an enjoyable, playable experience like so many people think.  Especially since as of currently, it is 47% in favor of alpha.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

Brief Explaination:  Alpha and Beta Builds:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380347/Brief-Explaination-Alpha-and-Beta-Builds.html

Beta test like a pro:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380424/Beta-test-like-a-pro.html

Anyone voting on this poll needs to read both of those threads first.  Alpha is not going to be an enjoyable, playable experience like so many people think.  Especially since as of currently, it is 47% in favor of alpha.

Really great guide.

Not sure why so many want in on Alpha, its not better than BETA and may end up hurting the development as you lose interest.

• DeanMalincoDeanMalinco overland park, KSPosts: 26Member
    If you donate to get access to say..... Beta 1...does that also gain you access to the later betas's (2-5?)
  • KappenWizKappenWiz Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 162Member
    Originally posted by DeanMalinco
    If you donate to get access to say..... Beta 1...does that also gain you access to the later betas's (2-5?)

Yes.

Advanced word was you'll get in all phases following your beginning phase.

Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Brief Explaination:  Alpha and Beta Builds:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380347/Brief-Explaination-Alpha-and-Beta-Builds.htmlBeta test like a pro:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380424/Beta-test-like-a-pro.html Anyone voting on this poll needs to read both of those threads first.  Alpha is not going to be an enjoyable, playable experience like so many people think.  Especially since as of currently, it is 47% in favor of alpha.

QFT

• oubersoubers bazelPosts: 876Member Common

for me.....none.....i am done with alpha and beta testing a product they should be testing themself and having to pay for it in the form of "early access" or "pre-order".

They make a game (and test it themself) and then let me try 5 or 10 lvls befour i buy the damn thing.....that is the way i would like to see things.

Since that aint happening, i dont do beta or pre-orders unless i am REALY sure i will enjoy it.

Companies should do their own dirty work......i want the finished product (that works like as it should be).

• fanglofanglo Virginia, VAPosts: 290Member
    I voted beta 1 but my tier I'm planning on getting might have alpha. 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

well i would not want to front the amount of cash it would take to get into alpha or the early betas..

Dont get we wong i will back the game but not with $200 lol.. will be with the price of a game :)

• icedernicedern Raleigh, NCPosts: 12Member

I would like to be in as early as possible to help make the game great.  

It comes down to how good the final tiers look on the KS.

• SorninSornin Richmond, BCPosts: 1,133Member

I would like to get in as early as possible because I genuinely enjoy the testing and feedback process and helping to make the game first playable, and then great.

As long as I like what I see from the Kickstarter project page, I intend to pledge $500 - $1000 in a digital tier, which grants Alpha access. I do not have too much interest in physical goods as I am not much of a collector.

Originally posted by Caldrin
    well i would not want to front the amount of cash it would take to get into alpha or the early betas.. Dont get we wong i will back the game but not with $200 lol.. will be with the price of a game :)

I thought the same thing but then I realize I end up very loyal to a game I like and end up spending a pile on monthly subs fees. I'm not a gambler but I think I'll flip a coin on CU, bet that I will like it, and dive in head first to get the discount $1 re-subs. It came down to the fact that MJ has a solid track record, I've liked his past games, and I have faith that if the game was not working he would change it until it did.

• EllyaEllya leylandPosts: 99Member

I'm not much of a fan of pure alpha/beta testing with the reports, repetitive testing of certain features and general work that's involved.

I am, however, interested in getting to know how a game works before release so that come release day, I know where to go, what to do and how to play without making horrible mistakes.

So, I'll be pitching in on one of the middle beta tiers, when the game is basically playable.

• SeariasSearias Edmonton, ABPosts: 712Member Uncommon
    I have alpha tested some tripple A single player titles before, but never an MMO. So, alpha testing for me :).

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• SpeelySpeely Seattle, WAPosts: 861Member
    Beta 2. I don't think I have the time needed to devote to alpha, and it really needs people who do.
  • RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Yorktown, VAPosts: 218Member
    As much as I would love to do Alpha work, at my job I work night-shift and have some odd hours, so I went with Beta 1.  I'm on vaction right now, hence why I am not sleeping! :-P

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Reseda, CAPosts: 150Member
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

I agree with the above.

Alpha testing is never fun, even for people who do it for a living. One of the worst things I have ever seen given to a test team was during the alpha phase of testing. The task was to to mount and dismount on every walkable tile in every zone in vanilla WoW to look for places where you fell through the world map. To make that task even worse was that not all the zones were done or even started when the time the task was given, so the team had to repeat the task multiple times for some zones and then return to the task as new zones became available. Sound like fun?

Early beta phase is spent working with functionality checklists or verification documents. Once you know what is there and what is still missing testers then usually run through the test plans consisting of lots of different test cases. Gameplay testing usually comes later in the beta phase of testing as most if not all the features are in the game, but still require tweaks/balancing/work to become fully functioning. Most of the crashes should be fixed by now, and things like UI and other systems/mechanics/animations are in the polishing phase.

The very first thing we tell potential QA/QC testers is that testing is not the same as playing video games.

One of the previous posts talks about companies testing the games themselves, well some of the problem is in the numbers. Let’s say the test team is 100 testers and they work 50 hours a week that = 5000 hours of test a week. Now your public beta test is 1000 users, so in that first 5 hours of that public beta test you had just as many hours of testing done and it was Free. Beta Tests are very useful to companies as they stress the gaming systems in ways an in house test team couldn’t under live conditions. Even then some companies release the game way too early, due to budgets, schedules, or bad management decisions.

I always prefer the later beta stages as it is always a far more enjoyable test experience.  I know what testing a bad combat system feels like when it crashes every swing, dodge, or block so I certainly do not want to "pay" for the privilidge of doing it on game I am not working on.