Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Few questions about the game!

RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

1.) Is the world open or instanced with maps?

2.) Do you only do quests/missions or can I go out and "grind" monsters for loot?

3.) I'm a loot guy. I love to kill stuff and find rare loot. Will I be disappointed in this game?

4.) How much RPG is in this games item system? OR is it very basic?

5.) Is PvP instanced or is there open world PvP? 

6.) What do you get from PvPing?

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,565Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Raserei

1.) Is the world open or instanced with maps?

Defiance uses one-cluster server design very much like TSW but even the concept of a home shard is gone. So there is no shard selection at all. This means that the game dynamically creates shards for every X number of players (I don't know what the exact number is it is in the 100s). It is a seamless open world, but there are group dungeon type missions that are instanced, some personal story missions are also instanced. If you group all players are placed into the same dynamic shard.

2.) Do you only do quests/missions or can I go out and "grind" monsters for loot?

You can get random higher quality weapons and mods from anyany mob, but boss type mobs have a much higher chance of dropping rare loot. You can farm these boss mobs as much as you want. 

3.) I'm a loot guy. I love to kill stuff and find rare loot. Will I be disappointed in this game?

Maybe, Defiance is as much about shooter skill as is about bad ass weapons. To give you an example with my 1400ego toon and max quality weapons, I can still get easily killed by a 10ego rating white quality weapon player. Ego rating is pretty much your level for clarity.

4.) How much RPG is in this games item system? OR is it very basic?

I am not following you here... Can you please clarify?

5.) Is PvP instanced or is there open world PvP? 

Both, there are battlegrounds, there is this thing called "shadow war" which is open world but in its own phase but you can still see other players PvEing around you and they can join the shadow war if they want to. Or you can leave the shadow war and go back to PvE all in the same open world area.

6.) What do you get from PvPing?

Xp, outfits, you get to see your performance compared to others, infamy and fear from other players for kicking their ass over and over again :). I find it pretty visceral as some of the weapons special effects are insane, not for those with epilepsy for sure.

• RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member
    Are there headshots and stuff like that or critical strikes?
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Covington, LAPosts: 555Member
    Yes. There are headshots on humanoids and other critical locations on non-humanoids.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,210Member Uncommon

I can only answer some of your questions by what i've been though in the beta, but will do my best to share my impression in that regards:

2. You can go out and "grind" mobs for loot. In example, you can run around on a farm that is under siege and kill the same mobs over and over and over, as they respawn rather quickly. Those "basic" mobs which are allover the map don't drop anything really worthwhile (little money, little ammo which you get shoved down your throat allover the place anyway, now and then a useless white item). Compared to your favorite mmorpg, it would be like grinding boars which only drop grey tails and snouts.

3. I put my flameproof vest on and dare to say: Defiance isn't really a loot orientated game. Although mobs drop stuff, in mmorpg-terms you'd say that the loot tables are pretty poor. If it wouldn't get picked up automatically, i'm shure alot of players wouldn't bother and leave the loot lying around and just move on. I already saw that happening here and there.

There are events allover the place that usually end up with a huge mob spawning that drops an item in the end. I personally found it not worthwhile to grind out rather uninspired events for a single drop at the end that may or most likely may not be useful to you. It's rather mindlessly killing endless waves of trash, while my EGO device tries to fire me up like "there comes their reinforcements!" or "there comes another wave of raiders!".

Don't expect anything even remotely close to Borderlands loot or even Diablo, Torchlight, PoE loot here. So, since you say you are a "loot" guy, you may be disappointed.

I'm shure some people will chime in here and tell you about the great stuff they looted and how important and awesome the loot tables are or that you have to progress to XY to get on to the fat lewz.  But by my experience it's not like that.

4. There is very little intention to RPG in that game. At the end of the day, it's a plain shooter with a variety of weapons, one character ability and a talent tree consisting of "+X damage done", "-X damage taken" skills. But then, in every game there are people who manage to force some rpg into it..by walking only instead of running, by going out as the "lone wolf" and not caring for other players.. So, it's up to you to even rpg in PacMan if you know what i mean.

• RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member
    If I preorder, when is early access?
  • AcorniaAcornia Spring Lake, RIPosts: 176Member
    There is no ealry acces.  Everyone starts with a clean zero level char on 2 April when the servers go live.
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,565Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Yes. There are headshots on humanoids and other critical locations on non-humanoids.

To further expand on this with sniper rifles you can do kill headshots on humanoids, other weapons do much higher DMG when aiming at a humanoid head.

As the poster above noted, some critters (and especially dungeon/mission bosses) have vulnerable spots that you have to hit otherwise the fight will last over 30 minutes (and you and your team will most likely die... A lot).

• brycegritbrycegrit Dudeno, WAPosts: 77Member
    The game play's out great, i have gotten through all the main story quest you could do on the beta, i was about to answer some of the questions everyone asked but seeing as you guys have already done it (nice job) ill just say that be sure to check out the livestreams and youtube content if you can't get the game on the day. With only a few areas on the map we could go on the beta and hopefully all the small glitches and bugs fixed we are going to have one of the best mmo's ive ever played.