Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Ideas for the Future of Tyria

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest Guild Wars 2 column, we take a look at some of the ways the game could move forward over the coming months and years. See what our ideas are and then let us know what you think in the comments.

Guild Wars 2 has been entertaining players in the MMO world for several months now, bringing new ideas to the table. But some of these ideas aren’t as new as you might think. ArenaNet has tried several things in the original Guild Wars, then took some of the ideas that made their first game so great, and expanded on them to make Guild Wars 2 a true MMO. Some of these ideas worked out really well, while others just didn’t turn out as good as the original.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Ideas for the Future of Tyria.

Don't just save crafting materials to make a legendary weapon. Craft yourself some good armor. Worry about getting a legendary later.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MaissonMaisson Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I'm sorry, but the column is supposed to be ideas for the the future of Tyria (GW2). I don't see any ideas for the furture only a recap of GW1 stuff that carried over to GW2. Am I missing something somewhere about this article?
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I love GW2- will be my fav Fantasy mmo- but havent logged in in months. last time i think was Bounty hunting with my Guild just to check it out. 15min n logged back out.

I think what they are doin is smart making the game a Huge living breathing ongoing evolvement-deploring expansions as we been fed in past mmos-i respect that.

And with that= i have more time to play other mmos (TSW, FF, and Defiance)..until something from GW2 will redirect me back to it. but as of now, the personal story has been put in the back burner with Anet-and well?.... thats what i enjoyed about GW2-and when they revisit that -so will i.

I really thought they would put personal story adventures chapters in the cash shop- but never happened-something i would of like to see in the future.

• triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39

ii agree with you masisson I revised this 3 times thinking i missed something. and i dont see nothing about the future. just a recap!

• IcnoevilIcnoevil Member Posts: 9
    wow did/do you even play the game?
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I got an idea. Since this cow has been milked dry out on the pc, why not try feeding it a good ole helping of console gamers. Tyria would look real good on a PS4.
  • gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Give us an awesome pvp leader board with kills, keep captures etc.. maybe even with some sort of rewards.  Some sort of way to recognize progression to bring out some competitiveness.

This game needs a carrot on a stick in the worst way. Something to achieve and strive for.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Leaderboards are coming in the next update, they're actually functioning now on the back end and are keeping record of everything.

What they really need to focus on, though is developing the game and opening up the world now that they've done so much to the core systems. It sounds like they'll be going in more and more of a sandpark direction in the future, and I hope they start working on bringing the iconic and characteristic from the 1st game into this one, such as regions, cultures etc.

• MaissonMaisson Member UncommonPosts: 29

The one gripe I still think they need to improve is abilities. If you liek a specific type of weapon from the start you are going to use the same 3-5 abilities for 70+ levels.  sure you can weapon swap for another 3-5 abilities but yo have to have the secondary weapons.

I like that your abilities are based on weapon types but they need to let us choose which abilities to use out of a small pool of abilities.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Get rid of the retarded system of caping you char dependent on where you are in the pve world!!!

Most of the time, it is impossible to find other players to help get through content!

I have lost count of the number of time I have run up to a champion to attack it only to find I am not actually doing any damage to so, so have to move on with out killing it. Not much point in it being in game if we cant kill it!

• GreenKnight1776GreenKnight1776 Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Maisson
    I'm sorry, but the column is supposed to be ideas for the the future of Tyria (GW2). I don't see any ideas for the (future) only a recap of GW1 stuff that carried over to GW2. Am I missing something somewhere about this article?

I have to give this one to Maisson. Maybe a better column title would have been, "Changes To Tyria: Likes & Dislikes." Or something. Anyway, where are the "ideas for the future"? Is the author asking us what ideas WE have for the future (???)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

bring Mursaat Lore to GW2. In GW, 8 Mursaat survived. Seven of which died leading the White Mantle to the Krytan Civil War. The eighth Mursaat survivor was never mentioned and its still unknown its location (and if any other did survive and fled).

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    +1. Love a fort aspen wood as well, and more complex boss fights.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• zatremzatrem Member Posts: 4
    If there is no more gear to grind for, because when you hit lvl 80 all stats on gears are the same only the skin is different, why the hell they dont do something about PVP on a global scale. For example make whole Tyria pvp battleground, and that every teritory (each with its unique recources for examle)  could be taken by a diferent race or a guild. And as i sad race, it would also be nice to have pvp server that has race wars for example striving to take each ones teritory for some reason (if there is no reason for war or conflict in the game, why play it?),... There is so much to add to this game not just pvp, harder world boss fights, more complex puzle system or something. But i already typed too much and i am starting to think that this is no one going to read so.... take care now bb then! :)
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Maisson
    I'm sorry, but the column is supposed to be ideas for the the future of Tyria (GW2). I don't see any ideas for the furture only a recap of GW1 stuff that carried over to GW2. Am I missing something somewhere about this article?

your spot on i dont see it also its just a recap of how good he things gw1 was and some ideas find there way into gw2.

Many ideas in GW2 are comming from AC2 also.

So i ask you thread starter where are your future IDEA'S?

Or just promoting GW1 hope some also gonne play GW1 thats what i see here nothing more.

Oh and on sidenote treadmill is already starting get back into GW2 and instance runs its almost a permanent fact result empty world.

Arenanet forcing GW2 become more like GW1 endless instance dungeon runs for mats/gear.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

The biggest problem with any mmo, including GW2, is that players consume content faster than developers can add it. I dont see a solution to this other than making content far more challenging and thus harder to get through (without making it a grind) or 10x the amount of content that comes out. Or they could make it more sandboxy, allowing players to create their own content.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by mCalvert

The biggest problem with any mmo, including GW2, is that players consume content faster than developers can add it. I dont see a solution to this other than making content far more challenging and thus harder to get through (without making it a grind) or 10x the amount of content that comes out. Or they could make it more sandboxy, allowing players to create their own content.

This game has a lot of varied things to do, particularly considering how new it is.  Yes, PvE content is very difficult to keep up with from the devs standpoint which is why they were smart to use WvW to keep players occupied.   Unfortunately, there was very little incentive to do WvW day after day so a lot of players stopped althogether.

I do believe that ANet is getting back on track in terms of incentivising players to participate in PvP content which should help with longevity.  It's not quite there yet but I like the direction they are headed in. 

• WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28

I miss being able to fully customize my skill bar.  I'm sorry but half of the skills they came up for the set just suck.  Take the mesmer, they sucked all the fun and originality out of it.

Also, they need to get rid of every level above 20.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by orbitxo

I love GW2- will be my fav Fantasy mmo- but havent logged in in months. last time i think was Bounty hunting with my Guild just to check it out. 15min n logged back out.

I think what they are doin is smart making the game a Huge living breathing ongoing evolvement-deploring expansions as we been fed in past mmos-i respect that.

And with that= i have more time to play other mmos (TSW, FF, and Defiance)..until something from GW2 will redirect me back to it. but as of now, the personal story has been put in the back burner with Anet-and well?.... thats what i enjoyed about GW2-and when they revisit that -so will i.

I really thought they would put personal story adventures chapters in the cash shop- but never happened-something i would of like to see in the future.

My hope for the future of the game would be for them to focus more on the story too. My wife and i only log on to complete each others quests. Honestly we don't mind the elder scroll approach. I'd rather have a multiplayer RPG, which was the original intention of the MMORPG, instead of the "MMO" which focuses on getting items it seems.  The flame and frost content was very fun for us and definately engaged us both back again into hte game. I'd like to see more of this. I'd love it if they released a couple of adventures a season. I"d be open if they even sold them. 

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Mounts. Player and guild housing.

No bitchers.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    I got an idea. Since this cow has been milked dry out on the pc, why not try feeding it a good ole helping of console gamers. Tyria would look real good on a PS4.

actually I guess GW2 is judged as console game (you got 3 months of fun: great value for your money, now move out), so yes: bring it to console platphorms and all will be in order.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2