Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First 14 minutes of the TV show. Looks good.

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by wilq
    This "smells" like Farscape, and hell that was a crappy show.

Heathen! Burn the witch!

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I think you were about to write "and hell that was the best show in the history of sci-fi TV" but then you got possessed! :)

Defiance, looking not bad at all. Sadly the game's not exactly my kinda thing, but I'll make sure to watch at least the first few episodes of this. If it's indeed like Farscape, I couldn't be happier about it.

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by Nikopol

I think you were about to write "and hell that was the best show in the history of sci-fi TV" but then you got possessed! :)

Defiance, looking not bad at all. Sadly the game's not exactly my kinda thing, but I'll make sure to watch at least the first few episodes of this. If it's indeed like Farscape, I couldn't be happier about it.

Hehe, i must say i never liked it, characterisation and story was to much cliche for me. And the best show in the history of scifi TV was Babylon 5 :D

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

Hehe, i must say i never liked it, characterisation and story was to much cliche for me. And the best show in the history of scifi TV was Babylon 5 :D

Babylon 5 was ok but I loved Battlestar Galactica more but then again I did grow up as a kid enjoying the original 1970's version. The remake of the original was just as good too. 

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by spookydom

Nice one OP. Have really been looking forward to this show, will check it out.

Edit* Region locked, cant view it in the Eu yet...........Corprate Fascists!!!! ;)

Spooky, use Firefox and get the 'Media Hint' add on. It allow you to ignore region locking (watch Hulu from the UK and get US access to Netflix from the UK etc.)

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by sancher36

Babylon 5 was ok but I loved Battlestar Galactica more but then again I did grow up as a kid enjoying the original 1970's version. The remake of the original was just as good too. 

Farscape > Firefly > Babylon 5 > Battlestar Galatica (Original) > Battlestar Galatica.

Preview looked good. Wasn't going to watch the show, but think I will now.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Looks like a great show coming up, well done. Hope the series will be of same quality like the pilot ( not always the case you know)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Battlestar galactica the new one and Lost were the best show in history of television.  No other shows has such a deep story with amazing characters as those shows did.
  • CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

wow this looks awesome, like movie quality with a mad max feel to it.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Wow.. you guys got me all interested in watching it, making it sound so good.

I'll be honest here, I have no idea what you people were looking at.  The CGI was pretty poor in a lot of areas.  I mean, sometimes it looked like I was watching the original cinematics for Starcraft 1.  You know, the part, with the buggy, which looked oddly familiar to the one the two characters were driving in the beginning of the episode.

Plus, and I'm sick and tired of seeing this in movies.  NO ONE SHAKES THE WHEEL BACK AND FORTH IN REAL LIFE, EVER!  It was driving me crazy,  Why do film producers do this?  Does no one tell them that it looks stupid?  Do any of you shake the wheel back and forth endlessly when you drive?  

The acting was pretty suspect in the beginning as well, from the guy more than anyone else.  

The premise is cool and I'm willing to give it a chance.  It just didn't hook me like Game of Thrones or Falling Skies.  Or even series like Breaking Bad or House.  The only interesting thing to me at this point is that the girl is pretty damn attractive.  

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Heathen! Burn the witch!

QFT can't find the words to express WTF enough at Wilq's comment here. Farscape is one of the best sci-fi shows ever made FACT! It's not subjective it's a FACT! You are wrong Wilq, now go and sit on the brain wrong step........Kids today omfg!!!! ;)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by lordtwisted

And to the trolls desperate to hate anything new, I expect you to come bash the CGI and acting no matter what happens, but I honestly think this preview shows a lot of promise for the TV show, it looks like they invested alot in this show. 

Defiance is the most expensive TV show syfy ever put together, they spent 50mil on it already. I read in a magazine interview that the sets alone were some of the biggest most expensive ones ever created.

So yes they invested a lot into this, and season 1 is already fully shot so we know it won't get canceled after the 3rd episode :)

The fact that the entire first season is already filmed means very little really. If the ratings tank, the show goes to the wall, regardless of how many episodes are in the bank. Bad viewer ratings mean no advertiser revenue, and means people aren't watching SyFy channel during that timeslot. And that's the worst possible thing that can happen to any TV channel...

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    The show looks promising and the CGI is what you expect from the Syfy channel. Even the Defiance Game's story is good and funny at times. I just wish they had actually made a full fledged game and not what we will be receiving on April 2nd.
    Originally posted by Asheram

It has been posted on youtube if some are having trouble watching it on syfy.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaowWi9p9TM

That vid is no longer accessible, looks like the network objected to their region lock being circumvented...

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by DMKano

And to the trolls desperate to hate anything new, I expect you to come bash the CGI and acting no matter what happens, but I honestly think this preview shows a lot of promise for the TV show, it looks like they invested alot in this show. 

Defiance is the most expensive TV show syfy ever put together, they spent 50mil on it already. I read in a magazine interview that the sets alone were some of the biggest most expensive ones ever created.

So yes they invested a lot into this, and season 1 is already fully shot so we know it won't get canceled after the 3rd episode :)

The fact that the entire first season is already filmed means very little really. If the ratings tank, the show goes to the wall, regardless of how many episodes are in the bank. Bad viewer ratings mean no advertiser revenue, and means people aren't watching SyFy channel during that timeslot. And that's the worst possible thing that can happen to any TV channel...

The show has a shot judging by the 15 minutes we saw combined with the budget and the amount of dedication and faith put into the show (Investing heavily in the game and the show makes this a "Make it or break it" kind of move for SyFy). Thats not saying a lot but competition is fairly light as well. There are a lot of scifi fans out there without much to watch currently besides re-runs of old shows. Its nice to see SyFy actually doing a scifi show again. I miss the old scifi channel a lot. SG1, SG Atlantis, even though I didn't like the remake of battlestar galactica it was at least scifi, lots of good shows use to be on the scifi channel. It sure beats watching wrestling or w/e new "reality show" they want to throw on there. 

Its a sad state of affairs when I as a sci fi fan care more about AMC than the sci fi channel. 

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

If someone outside US wanna watch this, go here and enjoy :)

http://www.serien-load.de/blog/die-minuten-syfy-defiance/

Sidenote: I know you perhaps cant read the text :) scroll down to the Vid and click on it

Second link to an english site:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/03/defiance-episode-101-pilot-watch-first.html

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by DAS1337

I'll be honest here, I have no idea what you people were looking at.  The CGI was pretty poor in a lot of areas.  I mean, sometimes it looked like I was watching the original cinematics for Starcraft 1.  You know, the part, with the buggy, which looked oddly familiar to the one the two characters were driving in the beginning of the episode.

Plus, and I'm sick and tired of seeing this in movies.  NO ONE SHAKES THE WHEEL BACK AND FORTH IN REAL LIFE, EVER!  It was driving me crazy,  Why do film producers do this?  Does no one tell them that it looks stupid?  Do any of you shake the wheel back and forth endlessly when you drive?  

The acting was pretty suspect in the beginning as well, from the guy more than anyone else.  

The premise is cool and I'm willing to give it a chance.  It just didn't hook me like Game of Thrones or Falling Skies.  Or even series like Breaking Bad or House.  The only interesting thing to me at this point is that the girl is pretty damn attractive.  

Hi Troll!

First, the CGI was impressive, sorry you have such a ken eye you can pick up little flaws, we are humbled by your ability to not be fooled by a computer graphics designer! It was intended to be appealing, not to make you think it is all real life. 

Secondly the bouncing steering wheel was do to the dirt road they were driving, they were not on paved streets, I would lve to see you go 4 wheeling in the boonies and hold your steering wheel straight while your suspension is twisting back and forth to support the vehicle. 

Not so nice guy!

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

I was entertained.  When the preview ended and I was bummed that I'd have to wait until the 15th to see the rest I took that as a telltale sign that it would be a good show. 

Certainly getting the game to complete the experience as well.  Here's hoping that the experiment is a triumph.  We may see more collaborations between different entertainment mediums as a result of this if it proves to be successful long term. 

Hurrah for trying something new!

The preview looks really promising. Good to see SyFy producing some real SciFi for a change ! image

If the show cooks, it will draw a lot of eyeballs, and they will all get to see the game adverts and promotions... things are looking up...

Originally posted by DJMantiss
    The show looks promising and the CGI is what you expect from the Syfy channel. Even the Defiance Game's story is good and funny at times. I just wish they had actually made a full fledged game and not what we will be receiving on April 2nd.

Don't dimiss the game yet, according to Trion reps on their forums, and sccording to someone that played the actual release version at GDC the game has a lot more to it then what the beta showed, more map, more "dungeons", etc... not to mention wen the ark fall loot is turned on they suggest all new things will open for us. 

Not so nice guy!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Hi Troll!

First, the CGI was impressive, sorry you have such a ken eye you can pick up little flaws, we are humbled by your ability to not be fooled by a computer graphics designer! It was intended to be appealing, not to make you think it is all real life. 

Secondly the bouncing steering wheel was do to the dirt road they were driving, they were not on paved streets, I would lve to see you go 4 wheeling in the boonies and hold your steering wheel straight while your suspension is twisting back and forth to support the vehicle. 

First off, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm a troll.  I gave my reasons, I didn't just jump in and jump out with a 'this sucks' line.  Stop trying to look cool.

I'll address both of your points.  Firstly, the CGI was not impressive.  There weren't subtle flaws.  At no point did I look at any of the CGI and feel that it was well done.  I've watched plenty of movies in my lifetime and I feel that I have a pretty good sense of what is good and what is bad.  It's not the worst, but it's certainly no where near what everyone here is making it out to be.  A lot of the CGI is grainy and fuzzy.  Rewatch it without a biased point of view and you will see it.

And to your second point.  Are you saying that while driving on dirt roads, you move the wheel back and forth like that?  Ask anyone who actually drives a vehicle of any kind (Because you clearly haven't yet) that erratic movement is not safe.  I can understand bouncing and shaking of the wheel.  I can understand slight direction changes and wobble based on rocks and elevations in the road.  What I can't understand is moving the wheel from 11 to 1, in a uniform fashion, nearly as if you were trying to pass a driving test with cones.  No suspension on any car that is working properly will shift back and forth like that.  It happens in way too many movies and shows and it frustrates me every time.  It's like how television depicts all video gamers.  Using their entire bodies and rapidly mashing all over the controller no matter what game is on the screen.  It's not realistic and my point of view is valid.  It breaks immersion.

Are you done now?

Hi Troll!

First off, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm a troll.  I gave my reasons, I didn't just jump in and jump out with a 'this sucks' line.  Stop trying to look cool.

I'll address both of your points.  Firstly, the CGI was not impressive.  There weren't subtle flaws.  At no point did I look at any of the CGI and feel that it was well done.  I've watched plenty of movies in my lifetime and I feel that I have a pretty good sense of what is good and what is bad.  It's not the worst, but it's certainly no where near what everyone here is making it out to be.  A lot of the CGI is grainy and fuzzy.  Rewatch it without a biased point of view and you will see it.

And to your second point.  Are you saying that while driving on dirt roads, you move the wheel back and forth like that?  Ask anyone who actually drives a vehicle of any kind (Because you clearly haven't yet) that erratic movement is not safe.  I can understand bouncing and shaking of the wheel.  I can understand slight direction changes and wobble based on rocks and elevations in the road.  What I can't understand is moving the wheel from 11 to 1, in a uniform fashion, nearly as if you were trying to pass a driving test with cones.  No suspension on any car that is working properly will shift back and forth like that.  It happens in way too many movies and shows and it frustrates me every time.  It's like how television depicts all video gamers.  Using their entire bodies and rapidly mashing all over the controller no matter what game is on the screen.  It's not realistic and my point of view is valid.  It breaks immersion.

Are you done now?

Clearly you have no experience of driving on bad dirt roads or offroad. Just stop, you're digging the hole deeper by trying to argue about things you know nothing about.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Im hooked, that was an awesome 14 min.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    As i expected, looks like one of these typical b-grade budget scifi series.

Hi Troll!

Are you done now?

[mod edit]

I have been driving for over 30 years. I have driven roads that would make people like you pee your pants. I have driven roads in a vehicle built for driving off road that will literally pick you up out of your seat and bang your head on the roof, I have driven roads that have twisted the entire vehicle to a point that the doors would not stay shut. 

I have driven at speeds in excess of 200MPH, I have driven cars capable of 7 second quarter mile times.  I have driven trucks capable of crushing cars, and cars so low they can not get over a speed bump. 

When it comes to driving I think I can tell you, "Bump steer" is a real thing. How much it moves your steering wheel is determined by your shocks, control arms, wheels, and linkage. Then of course you have the factors of the road they are driving, are there water washes on it? Large rocks in it? Etc... 

Bump steer has a million factors, and can cause musch more erratic steering then in that video, and as I said sometimes capable of putting a persons head through their side window. 

[mod edit]

Not so nice guy!