Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I cancel the game

mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

I know it is a M rated game, but the constant cussing for the sake of cussing turned me off, the game does not have a profanity filter and the community that came to the main forum in this Beta is full of e-peeners, mouth foul bunch of teenagres who think that to be a man you need to cuss.

Cussing doesnot make you a man.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

Comments

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

I noticed maybe three actual cuss words, and a couple of intended cuss words that were more of an alien nature I am guessing. 

Too me it did not seem excessive, especially under the circumstance the people in the game are supposedly in.  More or less experiencing an completely reforming of the earth, alien invasions, raiders, etc... I bet your vocabulary would turn a bit darker too. 

At least it isn't like Grand Theft Auto 4 where every other word was fould or deragotory. 

But to each his, own and if you are offended by the material than it is with in your power to let them know by not buying the game. In fact I suggest that you email the company too and insure that they understand your point of view. 

After all if you want to break the cycle someone has to set the example. 

Not so nice guy!

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

To each their own, and I respect the opinon. However, the ratings were available on the game with elaboration to the rating. 

A very serious question, though. If the language from the community drove you away, how in the world have you stomached these forums and all the other titles out there that support an elitist community?

Community in online gaming has always annoyed me, but I don't let other individuals affect my enjoyment of a product I paid for. I just choose to ignore them. People are always going to be complete asshats behind anonymity, aka. the internet.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by mayito7777

I know it is a M rated game, but the constant cussing for the sake of cussing turned me off, the game does not have a profanity filter and the community that came to the main forum in this Beta is full of e-peeners, mouth foul bunch of teenagres who think that to be a man you need to cuss.

I think its funny that you believe people in the situation world that is Defiance would all be talking like school girls.  Im pretty sure if this was our future it would be 300 times worse than anything you saw or heard in this game. 

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by snapfusion

I think its funny that you believe people in the situation world that is Defiance would all be talking like school girls.  Im pretty sure if this was our future it would be 300 times worse than anything you saw or heard in this game. 

Like a School girl? Have you heard your average high scool girl talk lately? It makes me blush. 

Not so nice guy!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Firstly: I didn't even know you can cancel the game since it is not a sub based game lol

Secondly: I hardly ever see anyone talking in the game, let alone swearing.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by lordtwisted

Like a School girl? Have you heard your average high scool girl talk lately? It makes me blush. 

He has a point. The language of your average high school girl nowadays would embarass a sailor.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Omali
    Originally posted by lordtwisted

He has a point. The language of your average high school girl nowadays would embarass a sailor.

I've never ever heard a sailor uses the word "Whatever!" or "Bestest!" or "Cute" :P

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

I can't say as I cared about any rough language one way or another (though "shtako" gets really grating), but the game's attempts to sell itself as "adult" are almost shockingly juvenile.

It's not so much that there is cussing, or Cass talking about getting hammered, or someone else talking about Cass being 'loose', it's how often it feels out of place or pointless, a big neon sign trying to say "Adult content here!" but instead coming across more like a child's idea of what 'adult' means.

To be fair, this is by no means something unique to this game. It's pretty common in a lot of media, especially on cable TV where they'll throw in nudity or cursing for no apparent story or character based reason, but just to remind you that they can.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Myria

To be fair, this is by no means something unique to this game. It's pretty common in a lot of media, especially on cable TV where they'll throw in nudity or cursing for no apparent story or character based reason, but just to remind you that they can.

It could have been that fracking show Battlestar Galactica, with their fracking cylons and fracking censors. They certainly didn't overuse the word frack. 

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Oh I think the OP should go play saints row 
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

It could have been that fracking show Battlestar Galactica, with their fracking cylons and fracking censors. They certainly didn't overuse the word frack. 

Kvark! Why don't you go frell yourself?

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by sancher36
    Oh I think the OP should go play saints row 

The copious amount of swearing in Saint's Row didn't really bother me that much, but when I heard it in Defiance I really did think to myself "Well, that seemed a little bit unneccessary."  Like, I would have already gotten the cussing out of my system watching A SHIP EXPLODE that dinkering around with an escape pod probably wouldn't have illicited much of a reaction... and certainly not one that would have involved like super casual swearing. 

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Okay, I mean really if you are that bothered by this then I really have a hard time seeing how you go though life, not to be rude but do you live in the Brady Bunch universe?

Who cares if someone cusses, or the show, words are just words, if this is what turned you away from the game then you really never liked the game in the first place, or this is just a troll, cause I can't for the life of me understand how someone can judge a game based off something as simple as that, really why do you even play MMO's then if you know there will be people that do not agree with you and profanity, I think the problem isn't the game or the people but you.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    What a bunch of shtako!  You can keep your jaja ;P
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Yeah, I'm a bit confused..

From what I can remember, there were only a few cases where there was cussing in the game itself.  The rest of the times, shtako was used in place of .. poop..

That's not even the confusing part.  The part that really gets me is the hatred for the Defiance community.  That completely blows my mind.  The only reason that I knew that there was a chat system in the game was because people were complaining about it on the forums.  I didn't even notice it.  I didn't use it all weekend, nor did I care about even looking at it.  That's something they need to fix.  I know consoles don't really make use of text chat, but it could be adjusted for PC clients.

My only guess is that you made use of the VOIP feature.  I can understand your frustration, especially if you were near the wrong crowd.  However, it's local VOIP, so you can move away.  Not only that, from what I hear, it's pretty crappy quality, so I'm surprised you could even make out their cussing.  I also would like to inform you that you can mute anyone that you want to.  

Ultimately, I guess it's your choice to cancel your pre-order.  Even though you acknowledge the M rating and should understand that playing any online game will put you in a position to hear immaturity at it's finest, I think that the problem with the game isn't the game itself.  It's your inability to mute people and your inability to hang around the right people.  If your gripe is with the community, that's just it, it's with the community and not the game.  You will find that sort of behavior in just about any game.

You can't change people.  You can only control what you do.  

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200
    People that get fucking upset by fucking cuss words but not gratuitous fucking amounts of fucking violence and death make me fucking laugh.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Cussing does not make you a man.

Neither does whining about other people cussing. Theyre just words, with the same exact meaning as the "polite" words they are replacing. Cussing may not make you a man. But pretending there is an actual valid difference between shit and poop, heck and hell, dick and penis, etc does make you a bit of a tool.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I see what the op is saying. To me people who curse lack something intelligent to say.

I don't think his trying to stop it, just not promote it. I respect that.  It is easier to ignore than to make a stand.

I don't think it will do any good, but good for you.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Giddian

I see what the op is saying. To me people who curse lack something intelligent to say.

I don't think his trying to stop it, just not promote it. I respect that.  It is easier to ignore than to make a stand.

I don't think it will do any good, but good for you.

To me it seems more like he is picking straws to hate the game, Im sure there are some.. vocal players out there but heck.. you should see general chr from time to time even in games like Hello kitty online! Heck even the average Disney movie has more profanity then this game. Their forums are fairly clean and over all polite.

First it was, dont buy this game because the patcher is having issues and now its dont buy the game because of there being profanity.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I agree with the OP for the most part, but then again I have a couple young kids and find myself a lot more in tune with paying attention to things people say. As a past sailor, I've certainly used my fair share of "sentence enhancing words", but have since moved on from that. Mostly.  However... it did indeed feel like they were swearing simply for the case of swearing. Raiders randomly shouting "Let's kill these mother-effers" while, although likely "realistic", really isn't necessary.

An "M" rating shouldn't be something you strive for. It feels like they tried for the "M". 

Yeah, I still bought the game regardless. :)

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Stormakov
    People that get fucking upset by fucking cuss words but not gratuitous fucking amounts of fucking violence and death make me fucking laugh.

Look man, killing countless people is pefectly normal.  Calling them assholes when you do it is crossing the frackin' line!

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by Stormakov

Look man, killing countless people is pefectly normal.  Calling them assholes when you do it is crossing the frackin' line!

I so agree. If you want to shoot someone in face you can not call him an asshole before doing so. That makes you a horrible horrible person.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    I really dont even know what the OP is talking about.  I didnt even really see people cuss in the game (PC) and the (PC) community is largely respectful.  If the OP is talking about, say the Xbox community, well, thats not a fault of the game.
  • guardinnerguardinner Member UncommonPosts: 51

OUT LOUD!! image

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114