Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: The PAX East 2013 Awards

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Now that PAX East is behind us, our team got together to talk about the games they saw and have come to a consensus as to which ones were the best of the best. See what they chose for the PAX East 2013 Awards and then head to the comments to discuss.

This year at PAX East 2103 we had a host of solid games to look at. Many had playable demos on the show floor and some had amazing things to show off in panels and presentations. Overall we want to thank every game at the show for bringing us out and allowing us time to play. So without further chatter, let’s get to the MMORPG.com PAX East 2013 Awards.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The PAX East 2013 Awards.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 227
    I'm shocked at the DayZ, with all the negative that game gets from screwing fans over to just not being a great developer. None the less, I hope they do succeed and what they are setting out to do.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by toljar
    I'm shocked at the DayZ, with all the negative that game gets from screwing fans over to just not being a great developer. None the less, I hope they do succeed and what they are setting out to do.

I think you are thinking of The War Z

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I think it was WarZ that used false advertising on steam not DayZ which from what I've read and seen is pretty good. No surprises on the other winners all deserved. The player driven content in Neverwinter is going to be fantastic and I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by fascism

I think you are thinking of The War Z

It is a bit sad to think how many are going to feel like this thanks to War Z. So many suckered into trying War Z and so many with I'll will towards Day Z all because Hammerpoint  wanted to ride on the coat tails of Dean Hall and ended up creating a great deal of brand confusion. War Z reaps the rewards from Day Zs successes and Day Z gets hurt by War Zs failures. 

In any case, I agree with most of the list. I'm not sure how Marvel Heroes made it on there though. It's generated almost no interest in the gaming community and from even a technical standpoint its a bit meh. 

All in all though good choices. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Know what this really reminds me of? T-ball for 6-year olds where everyone gets a trophy. Is there any MMO being released this year that did not get an award? All it is, is marketing in another form. "Most Anticipated"? "Most Innovative"? What a crock... all this will do is fuel another round of advertisements for the same old "meh" games that developers are shoveling these days.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Know what this really reminds me of? T-ball for 6-year olds where everyone gets a trophy. Is there any MMO being released this year that did not get an award? All it is, is marketing in another form. "Most Anticipated"? "Most Innovative"? What a crock... all this will do is fuel another round of advertisements for the same old "meh" games that developers are shoveling these days.

defiance?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by deakon

defiance?

Not really an MMO and they were probably not at the show being this close to launch. As they didn't play T-ball, no trophy for showing up.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

You are talking about WarZ. This is DayZ. Two completely different developers.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Abefroman
    [mod edit]

uh and out of the competition listed, you would have picked .....?

• PagoasPagoas Member UncommonPosts: 120
    everybody gets a trophy!

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Abefroman
    [mod edit]

what else was shown and playable? Neverwinter?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

What about Black Desert Online? It looks better then any of those games listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2DCNJx_0aQ

• nolins12nolins12 Member Posts: 9

Exactly....they named every MMO at PAX East

You couldn't even play Day-Z

Marvel heroes online was AWFUL and buggy

Wildstar was also buggy as hell.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Mannish

What about Black Desert Online? It looks better then any of those games listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNFSw107MQs

I didn't see that at PAX.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by Grakulen

You are talking about WarZ. This is DayZ. Two completely different developers.

Yea, I misread that. Hey either way, I still hope all works out.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Also what about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn?
  • AbefromanAbefroman Member UncommonPosts: 11
    [mod edit]  ESO was the only game that didn't have a playable build.  What they had was a demo.  This is a game that is supposed to be in closed beta soon.  So from a demo and not an actua build it wins best of show?  I call BS.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    It's an award for games that go to pax. Most of the games ppl are listing in the why didn't this get an award....didn't go to the show.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Sad state of affairs when Wildstar is the most innovative new game.  Not taking anything away from their game, just that I see nothing that is very innovative about it, just some different approaches to the same old thing.

PW should skip the voice chat in Neverwinter, outside programs handle that feature far better than anything they can come up with.

Still waiting for the monetization bombshell to hit Neverwinter.  I have yet to see a PW game that did not have it.  If they can keep their hands off the item shop it could be a really decent game.

The way they monitized Marvel Heros is going to turn a lot of people off.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

PW should skip the voice chat in Neverwinter, outside programs handle that feature far better than anything they can come up with.

I kind of agree with you.  The one time I got into a PvP group, all I could hear was two guys yelling in some language I didn't even recognize.  Of course they didn't understand that I needed help at one of the capture points and it got taken.  lol

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Also what about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn?

I haven't seen any sites mention it, so I figure it wasn't there.

• lollielollie Member Posts: 6
    Regarding Neverwinter - already seen how PWE intends to leech money off its players - they've nerfed clerics and stated the healing potions bought with gold will be useless at high levels. You will be directed to their cash shop for the $15 health stone and the rez scrolls, if you want to play at endgame.
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

The Repopulation was at Pax...

Wildstar does have a lot of innovation... showing a picture of "Hey, let's redo the World of Warcraft Barrens Zone" probably wasn't the best idea of showing the game's innovation.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

A majority of the accounts I've read pins TESO as something to be excited about, and most previewers say time just flew while playing the game. Doesn't mean I will necessarily have the same experience, but it shows me the game has wide appeal, so the award here is only natural. Of course, any one of us is free to doubt and/or look for shady goings-on to explain this... Hey, I know someone who thinks there has been zero good video games since Quake 2 and everyone saying otherwise is either sheep or on the take! :)

I myself am more excited about WildStar, though not because of any innovation - of which I've seen little - but because of plain old character.

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

Calm down for a second, these are awards based on the PAX East Convention, not every game made this year... Based on what I personally saw, ESO rocked it, the game is absolutely beautiful, and after playing it for an hour straight I'd say hands down that it won Best in Show. As for the others, I think it's fair to say mmorpg.com is picking what they like and think is best at the convention, and I highly doubt anyone is "paying" them money to have a mention lol.