Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Really Surprised This Game Sucks???

MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
I mean its Cryptic Studios guys, Jack Emmert's first game was City of Heroes, he made it great than fucked it up and split to make Champions Online which had to go free to play after 1 year and wasnt a hit in the least, than lets not forget Star Trek Online which could have  been so much more besides semi-fun space combat, and now people are wondering why Neverwinter isnt the game they thought it would be. I played last beta weekend, not impressed, nor was I expecting to be, because its Cryptic Studios and they fuck things up.

Mystery Bounty

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I am actually surprised that this game turned out to be so much fun. And this is not the same Cryptic Studio that you know when they were under Atari.

But other than your hate for cryptic..could you explain and elobrate on points why NW sucks?.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i was impressed.. good graphics(aside from some character models), fun combat(on the rogue), pretty fun pvp, very fun dungeons, played some pretty neat foundry quests.. all and all pretty happy. Some things are a let down for me.. I don't like the feel of the ranged classes at all and the guardian blocking felt a bit off compared to the lancer in tera.. great weapon fighter I just didn't like at all.. some animations need work epecially the female running ones... but all in all its my favorite cryptic game yet

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Yeah, the game is a typical Cryptic MMO. It is nostalgic for me, with the graphics circa 2006 and all, but not good enough to pay for it. Turbine's DDO is better than this IMHO - and that's not saying much.
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

There are 20 reviews of why this game sucks on these forums, heres some things i found 

- Combat feels 15 years old, this isnt an Everquest remake give us somethings new

- UI is shit

-PvP is not fun in the least 

-MMOs pull you in, you really feel like you need to login to this game?

ONLY good thing is the graphics arent bad, but why play a game that isnt fun, play a little more you will agree with me and the thousands that are finding out every weekend this game is outdated before its release and will FAIL worse than Final Fantasy XIV

Mystery Bounty

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by MysteryB

There are 20 reviews of why this game sucks on these forums, heres some things i found 

- Combat feels 15 years old, this isnt an Everquest remake give us somethings new

- UI is shit

ONLY good thing is the graphics arent bad, but why play a game that isnt fun, play a little more you will agree with me and the thousands that are finding out every weekend this game is outdated before its release and will FAIL worse than Final Fantasy XIV

I don't remember having action combat in any MMO 15 years back. if you are going to make a point atleast do it without exaggeration.

UI is shit....ehmm...well thanks for elaborating on that.

So is that it? did you even play the game or just going by what you read in those 20 reviews about the game? i played it lot more than just a 'little' and i disagree with everything you said not that you had much to say here.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

- UI is shit

i'm in alpha and played good amount of the game.. with the foundry it is a very fun game overall.. i know its hard to believe not everyone has the same views on games as you..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well, cryptic and PW are not companies that I associate with making MMOs that I enjoy, so not really too surprised.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Like all Cryptic games, they seem fun when you first start playing but seem to quickly lose their luster over the first month.  I will be jumping in to try it out at launch for free but I would recommend to fellow gamers to play it for a week or two first before deciding to spend a dime on the game.  Lots of people liked STO when it was released but by day 30 had decided to unsub.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    All cryptic games are shallow .
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    there was a voting poll earlier today and when i checked was doing pretty well i only got a chance to play sunday afternoon but my 1st impressions was that it was a pretty good game i liked the graphic style tho i know not to everybodys taste if you dont like the game fair enough but so much hate really!!!
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    I've warmed to the game a lot. I can see myself buying stuff, like a companion.  My biggest problem with Neverwinter is deciding whether to play a GWF or a thief.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    NW is the greatest Cryptic game since they sold the rights to CoX to NCSoft just after Jack Emmert's "Power Poliferation " left Paragon Studios  a lot of work to fix(Probably what the OP is referring to).
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well someone has a deep hatred for Cryptic that they make up reasons why they think its bad without giving a single bit of proof of it.

Grats on showing your bias against a company. Obviously you just have no clue about anything at all and have no good input. I couldn't trust anything you post to have any value to it at all anymore and shouldn't even try it, assuming you don't know what your doing.

... and that above I just mentioned is a good replication of what you are doing to cryptic, applied to you instead. Sounded a bit of a poor reason to make judgements doesn't it? Try it, play it, and give thoughtful input rather then making brash judgements about something with nothing to back it up.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by LifeEnder

All cryptic games are shallow .

This. ^^ Cryptic is also the worst company around for making games that crap on popular IPs. Looks like they will be 2 for 2 with Neverwinter in that department. Do those people even know what D&D is? I seriously doubt it. Just like they left out 90% of what makes Star Trek, Star Trek in STO, they totally missed the boat on both the D&D feel and the Neverwinter setting. Too bad.
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

- UI is shit

Reviews are outrated, a bunch of people saying "this is bad, this is good" then other people agree so other people's brain refuse to try it itself because the "reviews" are always correct and of course, reviews know's the taste of everyone's /irony off

In your oppinion, and remember the famous quote, opinions are like belly buttons =)

More of the same.

• McDaniels92McDaniels92 Member Posts: 22

Sorry you didnt like it. I've been playing MMOs for 10 years and I found the combat quite refreshing and fun. This was actually the most fun I've had in a beta since SWG. You should realize the difference between opinion in fact before you post in here. 

For every point you just referenced from bad reviews I can find you a review saying those aspects of the game were great... Post your opinion, if you don't like the game thats fine, say so, then move on. Not sure why you're on some kind of vendetta against cryptic studios. A LOT Of people really like this game so if you for whatever reason believe its a complete failure and people are dissappointed I'm sorry but you're just wrong.

Like with ANY game that is ever released there are people who are disappointed and there are people who love it. What makes a game good is completely subjective... welcome to reality...

Not sure how anyone could possibly come to the conclusion that combat is like EQ without having some kind of mental defficiency. Combat in this game is actually pretty creative compared to whats industry standard right now and frankly I found it quite enjoyable.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Vyce
    Yeah, the game is a typical Cryptic MMO. It is nostalgic for me, with the graphics circa 2006 and all, but not good enough to pay for it. Turbine's DDO is better than this IMHO - and that's not saying much.

Then you consider DDO does what it does better then anyone else. So what are we saying?

I was turned off by NWO this weekend, various reasons, plus no reason to burn out on it before release.

I'm not sure it is really as good or even better then Vindictus, C9 or Dragons Nest, mmo's like NWO. All three of those have better action combat. All are too easy. All are two linear. The Foundry is the wild card and that doesn't guarantee quality, but does offer the possibilty of something different.

They have a lot of balance work ahead of them imo and a number of bugs to squash. I wish them the best, because that would benifit my enjoyment. I'm going to play it, how long is the question.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    and you all think I am harsh when I take beef with a single aspect of the game. :p
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't think of it as an MMO so much as I think of it as a group dungeon crawler, which is cool to me.  If you're disappointed, I guess you have to ask yourself if your expectations were too high.  If you had no expectations, then I guess the game just isn't your thing.  Personally, despite what I'd been reading, I like the game just fine and plan to play it when it's out.  That's just me though.
  • DefectDefect Member Posts: 246
    I was very impressed with Neverwinter actually.
  • TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    I thought it was fun. In fact, it was the most fun I've had in several years. Yes, it's not going to keep me hooked for 8 hours a day for the next 3 years. It's still a fun game. I know people love to bash everything that isn't GW2 around here, but give it a rest bud.
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I was surprised that I enjoyed Neverwinter.  Wasn't expecting to.  I'll be playing a bit.  If it is deep enough i might play it for a while.  You never know.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I thought it would be bad, but this game is much worse than I thought possible. It would have been OK if it had come out 10 years ago.

Joined - July 2004

• FugglierFugglier Member Posts: 25
    Surprised, no. Saddened, yes. There is only one way to do DnD type games and it is go DnD all the way. Watered / dumbed down DnD does not work in any form or fashion, especially for me as an old school pen n paper DM.

"..........Lulz......try to IP ban me if you want, hasn't worked yet. I am still here. I have always been here.........."

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

For some reason, Cryptic get their hands on IPs that deserve much better.  Both the Star Trek universe and the Forgotten Realms world have so much more going for them than just basic hack n slash games.  That is pretty much what Cryptic does....mindless hack n slash games.  That is fine if you have a ho hum IP, but not fine if you are doing Star Trek or Forgotten realms.

The sad part is that those two sub standard games are blocking other companies, kind of like SWTOR is going to stymie the Star Wars IP for years to come with a crappy game.

Cryptic has no business with these in depth IPs.  They need to stick with paper thin IPs and just do that.

The other real probelm is the cash shop.  The costs for certain items are outrageous.  Not suprising coming from the same company that for some reason thought a special Beta package was worth 535 Dollars....wtf?

Expect to pay a lot more than your basic sub for this game....yeah, it's free to play....lol.

This game is just a lesser version of Guild Wars 2, and that game is not that great to begin with.  Why play this game when another game does everything better and has a much better payment system.

If this game came out 6 years or so ago it would have been a stellar game.  Now it is just another 5 week MMO.

This discussion has been closed.