Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel Release Date Announced

Comments

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by FromHell

I'm not really upset about it's failure anymore. I'm honestly more angry. There is nobody that will attempt a Star Wars MMO after what happened to the last two.

agree,  the biggest let down is no one will ever attempt to make a Star Wars MMO again, at least not in the next 10 years. There goes the biggest IP possible for a MMO, down the drain

Thats your point of view because there is really a lot of star wars fans who love and enjoy swtor everyday and disagree with you, at the end of the day they have a star war mmo who love and play, you dont.  

Yes. But when you look at how many people are playing vs how much it costs to make / license a MMO...

The game itself didnt even cost that much, it was only the voice acting. So people that play vs how much it cost is inaccurate.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by redrain84
    I'm curious if you guys think swtor sucks so much, then what  MMO do you guys play because all the other MMO suck in my opinion and I have tried them all.

According to these forums every MMO sucks, don't take what people say here to your heart. Play what you like and enjoy.

Who do you think are more happy? people who are playing MMOS and enjoying themselves or those who come here daily to complain and tear down every game in existence .

Well 2.4 million people bought the game and ~ 2 million people also quit, so they all went somewhere didn't they?

With those numbers, it does look like a big failure .. although fans are happy that some people still play, and cite that as some form of success.

While many MMO's suck .. some suck more than others.

If SWTOR stayed small as EA should have done, and targeted only a few hundred thousand fans who adored anything Star Wars (even if that means playing a bad game), all those other 2 million people wouldn't have felt ripped off, and this game would have generated much less hate.

EA should try something different with MMORPG's, because their Warhammer Online retention plan isn't working.

You are trying to twist my post into something else. My post wans"t about what forum goers on this website consider as a success or a failure. I couldn't give a rats ass about it. I was simply commenting on how every MMO is teared to bits on this website.

What matters is that game is up and running, releasing content. That is what matters. Your average joe gamer does not visit forums like these and neither care about  the politics involved.

Haters gonna hate..and they will never run out of excuses to do so.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    I'm curious if you guys think swtor sucks so much, then what  MMO do you guys play because all the other MMO suck in my opinion and I have tried them all.

According to these forums every MMO sucks, don't take what people say here to your heart. Play what you like and enjoy.

Who do you think are more happy? people who are playing MMOS and enjoying themselves or those who come here daily to complain and tear down every game in existence .

Well 2.4 million people bought the game and ~ 2 million people also quit, so they all went somewhere didn't they?

With those numbers, it does look like a big failure .. although fans are happy that some people still play, and cite that as some form of success.

While many MMO's suck .. some suck more than others.

If SWTOR stayed small as EA should have done, and targeted only a few hundred thousand fans who adored anything Star Wars (even if that means playing a bad game), all those other 2 million people wouldn't have felt ripped off, and this game would have generated much less hate.

EA should try something different with MMORPG's, because their Warhammer Online retention plan isn't working.

You are trying to twist my post into something else. My post wans"t about what forum goers on this website consider as a success or a failure. I couldn't give a rats ass about it. I was simply commenting on how every MMO is teared to bits on this website.

What matters is that game is up and running, releasing content. That is what matters. Your average joe gamer does not visit forums like these and neither care about  the politics involved.

Haters gonna hate..and they will never run out of excuses to do so.

Of those 2.4 million people who bought STWOR - 2 million players left who are pissed at what EA did to the franchise with this piss poor excuse for a game. Star Wars Galaxies was ridiculed and made fun of by many but sitting in SWG waiting for a shuttle was more fun than ANYTHING is SWTOR. Haters gonna hate for a reason

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by echolynfan

Of those 2.4 million people who bought STWOR - 2 million players left who are pissed at what EA did to the franchise with this piss poor excuse for a game. Star Wars Galaxies was ridiculed and made fun of by many but sitting in SWG waiting for a shuttle was more fun than ANYTHING is SWTOR. Haters gonna hate for a reason

And still what you said had nothing to do with what i said in my very first post. And yes haters are always gonna hate. I am glad with agree on something.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Have they said anything about the population of the game?

Why does it matter?  What does it have to do this the subject of this thread?

Because I want to know wether to get this or try more TSW. And player population is important to me. image

• MixxathonMixxathon Member UncommonPosts: 28

With F2P they got the 2 millions back and then some (according to recent interview). The servers are very well populated, have never seen so many players on each planet as there is today (multiple instances of the space stations mostly populated by lvl 50 players says something...)

True, they made "errors" when going F2P with all the restrictions they put on those who could not be bothered with actually paying anything, but that is OK for me since I sub when I play.... it just feels natural to actually pay for something I get... but that is me. Now, as time have gone by, Bioware have eased up on the restrictions a bit so that even the most die hard player who feels ENTITLED TO GET EVERYTHING FOR FREE might try it out.

And since they have double-xp weekends since 2 weeks back and up until the release of the new expansion, it has become even easier for the vast horde of free players to actually catch up and join the fun at lvl 50 and beyond.

But.... oh why do I bother? Easier to just join the choir by going;

yEAH! Thiz "game" suxxorz!! Burn EA!! BIOFAIL!!! TORtanic!!!1!

And yeah, we DO feel it is a success that "some" play it. The reason for this is that we who are left in the game actually LIKE playing it and most of the others, if not all actually, have stopped polluting OUR wonderful game. Good Riddance!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Mixxathon

With F2P they got the 2 millions back and then some (according to recent interview). The servers are very well populated, have never seen so many players on each planet as there is today (multiple instances of the space stations mostly populated by lvl 50 players says something...)

True, they made "errors" when going F2P with all the restrictions they put on those who could not be bothered with actually paying anything, but that is OK for me since I sub when I play.... it just feels natural to actually pay for something I get... but that is me. Now, as time have gone by, Bioware have eased up on the restrictions a bit so that even the most die hard player who feels ENTITLED TO GET EVERYTHING FOR FREE might try it out.

And since they have double-xp weekends since 2 weeks back and up until the release of the new expansion, it has become even easier for the vast horde of free players to actually catch up and join the fun at lvl 50 and beyond.

But.... oh why do I bother? Easier to just join the choir by going;

yEAH! Thiz "game" suxxorz!! Burn EA!! BIOFAIL!!! TORtanic!!!1!

And yeah, we DO feel it is a success that "some" play it. The reason for this is that we who are left in the game actually LIKE playing it and most of the others, if not all actually, have stopped polluting OUR wonderful game. Good Riddance!

Considering what players say in general chat... people who play actually love the game. It's actually very funny at times... lots of people with great sense of humour...

LOL yesterday on Corellia somebody asked:

Hey guys do you know where did I park my ship?

And I ROFL when somebody answered "Hit the panic button"

It's enough to throw a little bit of funny stuff  in chat and it bursts with funny comments:) I am really enjoying that :)

Maybe just not on Dromund Kaas LOL, there are so many people there there is no way I can read it fast enough without scrolling up

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Is this the ¨Space Expansion'' that I have been hoping that they would release? (Sort of like Jump to Lightspeed from SWG) `?

I think............not :(

Imo Star Wars without any star wars in it (except the tunnel shooter) doesn't make much sense. Sure, we got lightsabers, jedi and stormtrooper(ish) ish classes, and I hear the game has interesting storylines to follow, as well. But nevertheless, the lack of proper space combat (instead of the luckster shooter we have now, with very limited customization) helps keep me away from the game for now.

Well, I know that we all have our own opinions, BUT PERSONALLY; if I was was in charge of developing SWTOR, the first expansion that I would be releasing would be about exciting space combat / exploration ALONG WITH more combat focused and action oriented ground combat (backed by Bioware's trademark good storytelling, ofcourse) to get things rolling.

Just my two cents, though.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Because I want to know wether to get this or try more TSW. And player population is important to me. image

All the US servers are Heavy, very Heavy and full at primetime everysingle day of the week.

• DevilmarioDevilmario Member Posts: 18

All the US servers are Heavy, very Heavy and full at primetime everysingle day of the week.

But what is heavy in other mmorpg's may not be the same as in SWTOR.

In WOW a server can have many thousands and be medium, in SWTOR 200 people on a server is considered heavy.

Heavy means nothing in SWTOR , because comparing it to other mmorpgs heavy in SWTOR is small in games like WOW.

Originally posted by Devilmario

In WOW a server can have many thousands and be medium, in SWTOR 200 people on a server is considered heavy.

Heavy means nothing in SWTOR , because comparing it to other mmorpgs heavy in SWTOR is small in games like WOW.

They have megaserver tech, heavy is really heavy, we are talking about thousands of players not hundreds.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

They have megaserver tech, heavy is really heavy, we are talking about thousands of players not hundreds.

Did you just buy into a lot of huff from EA, or do you actually have the specs for these so called "megaservers".  Last analysis I saw, they hold about 10-15% more players.  Personal observation also shows they LAG like hell when stressed.

We're only talking hundreds .. not thousands, still.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Septdeez
    I like SWTOR and leveled 2 characters to max while I had a sub. When I tried it F2P I just think that they have taken too much of the game away for non subs to make it worth picking up.

I never understood why people complained of about paying for a game. How are Bioware/EA employee's expected to maintain the game and work for free? The people need to be paid for updating and regulating the game, $15 a month isnt really anything.

The game had a $15 a month subscription for a year during which EA/Bioware basically added nothing of worth, no new story quest lines, just some light patchs and the very flufftastic legacy system (Yay i can have a mail box in my ship! because you know having to leave my ship and go into a station with other players is just tooo much work!). Everything Bioware said they were gonna add for free the first year was basically held for this paid for DLC well over a year later.

I had my subscription for 2-3 months before I maxed my imperial BH and found that playing a alt required rerunnning 90% of the same content. Call me a content locust if you want but there simply wasn't enough new content to justify paying $15 a month for biowares glacial responses.

Did you just buy into a lot of huff from EA, or do you actually have the specs for these so called "megaservers".  Last analysis I saw, they hold about 10-15% more players.  Personal observation also shows they LAG like hell when stressed.

Whats your point? im playing the game so i know what i talking about, a fast example, in primetime only on the fleet you can find 3-4 instances in each side (rep and Imp) of 250-300 players per intances thats like 1200-1800 players just standing on the fleet, then you have all the people doing wz,Flashpoints, Op, and all the players that you have on each planet. Thats how a heavy server looks on swtor.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    And not a single fuck was given.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Whats your point? im playing the game so i know what i talking about, a fast example, in primetime only on the fleet you can find 3-4 instances in each side (rep and Imp) of 250-300 players per intances thats like 1200-1800 players just standing on the fleet, then you have all the people doing wz,Flashpoints, Op, and all the players that you have on each planet. Thats how a heavy server looks on swtor.

The point is that megaservers aren't very mega.  Multiple instances were common when the game first came out as well, but fewer players are spread out nowadays, so the effect is more dramatic.

Your example in primetime would likely be when the servers are very heavy or full.  Those numbers sound reasonable to whats expected with a server "megaserver" cap of about 6000 (leaked accidentally via Andryah before deletion).  The old cap was 5000-5500.  That's between both factions btw.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    no one cares bout swtor ;D suck it ea/biodurrrrr

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

It would be more honest if they just call this game Rise of the Cash Shop, lol

• MegatronicMegatronic Member Posts: 35
    If I was a game developer I would stay away from designing any kind of mmorpg, the playerbase (the vocal ones at least) are by far the biggest bunch of spiteful hate mongers I have ever come across.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by velmax
    Originally posted by FromHell

I'm not really upset about it's failure anymore. I'm honestly more angry. There is nobody that will attempt a Star Wars MMO after what happened to the last two.

agree,  the biggest let down is no one will ever attempt to make a Star Wars MMO again, at least not in the next 10 years. There goes the biggest IP possible for a MMO, down the drain

Thats your point of view because there is really a lot of star wars fans who love and enjoy swtor everyday and disagree with you, at the end of the day they have a star war mmo who love and play, you dont.  

Yes. But when you look at how many people are playing vs how much it costs to make / license a MMO...

The game itself didnt even cost that much, it was only the voice acting. So people that play vs how much it cost is inaccurate.

It was not the voice acting. You really think the voice acting costed over 100 million dollars? If so, that was the dumbest move on EA/BioWare's part. "Looking for voice talent to work on Star Wars project"...  they would be bombarded by people who would do it for free.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Megatronic
    If I was a game developer I would stay away from designing any kind of mmorpg, the playerbase (the vocal ones at least) are by far the biggest bunch of spiteful hate mongers I have ever come across.

I just look at TOR like it's a big fat hairy spider, it's lifespan has been about the equivalent of that, every single time it's dared to show it's face to the public they've tried to squash it, it's been that way since before release.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

WoW, EvE, SC2:HOTS. I barely have enough time for them all :D 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

WoW, EvE, SC2:HOTS. I barely have enough time for them all :D 

WoW gets more crap flung at it than SWTOR, EVE has managed to carve out a loyal niche fan base, but not because of its RPG aspects -and it's really more ignored by the masses than ridiculed- and HOTS isn't even an mmo. Hell, if you like those games, great, but I have doubts about how much of the community would hold those examples up on a pedestal there with you.

As for this expansion, I don't see anything that would overly tempt me to come back to the game, nor cause any sort of revitalization that extends beyond maybe a month, but hopefully they can make something work b/c I truly love the star wars genre and feel another game will be long in coming. I never really liked the decision to base it in the old republic, but meh... We play the games that we have available, not those which we'd ideally wish for.

• ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 77

I'm quoting from the official swtor site

"So how did it go? Well, you can see for yourself when you log in to the game. Our new, high capacity servers are teeming with people. Since launch of the Free-to-Play option we have had over 2 million new accounts created and have thousands of new players jumping in every single day. This means more people to play with, more growth for your guilds, more Warzone matches, and more ways for players to continue to advance their characters."

So yes, it's going just fine, everytime i log, i see alot of people, leveling, doing Hard mode etc. The game is quite alive and kicking. As for some MMORPG qq'ers and haters i feel sorry for you for not being able to enjoy ONE damn MMO.

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

Originally posted by Problem

I'm quoting from the official swtor site

"So how did it go? Well, you can see for yourself when you log in to the game. Our new, high capacity servers are teeming with people. Since launch of the Free-to-Play option we have had over 2 million new accounts created and have thousands of new players jumping in every single day. This means more people to play with, more growth for your guilds, more Warzone matches, and more ways for players to continue to advance their characters."

So yes, it's going just fine, everytime i log, i see alot of people, leveling, doing Hard mode etc. The game is quite alive and kicking. As for some MMORPG qq'ers and haters i feel sorry for you for not being able to enjoy ONE damn MMO.

Don't know about US servers but EU server are FULL and HIGH in evenings. PVP matches are instant, flash points and operations are instant. I get groups for Heroics without any problems. For me that is what matters where as in games like TSW and AOC i spent lot of my time just waiting and scratching my butt.

2 hours is all i get to play and i have no intentions to spend 30 minutes out of two hours just waiting for groups. 

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney