Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Camelot Unchained: Gaming the Kickstarter Reward Tiers

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

For those interested.. Massively goes deeper into the reward tiers:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/25/massively-exclusive-camelot-unchained-unveils-pledge-tiers-see/

Personally a lot of the tiers do not make sense and seems he is pricing himself out of what most players can afford to really be able to sink their teeth into some of the rewards... Example is $200 just for alpha. Some of the higher tiers are just plain ridiculous and do not make much sense.

As much as I am anticipating CU, this is a clear example of forcing people to pay more than they can afford to have access to things they want... this is where kickstarter fails. Dangling carrots in front of us donkeys just to get us to move.

I hope they iron out these Tiers prior to locking in their kickstarter as that will clearly define the success or failure of this title.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    @Wighty Alpha is not for everyone. I want to fly and I do not fly. I know many people for whom 200$ is nothing and for whom 200$ is life or death. So let that limited people have alpha access and let others who have less cash to have something else like digital copy etc.
  • fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

Before I throw down some cash, I would like to know an answer to a simple question. Will perma-stealth be in the game?

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63
    Seems like a pretty cool compromise, Mark. I'm sorry I missed the reddit poll. I would have campaigned for it!
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I have a question....

Say I buy

Pledge Tier $110 – Comes with everything above plus special starter armor (cosmetic difference only), special starter weapon (cosmetic difference only), founder’s wall plaque, unique trophies, unique dyes, digital copy of the art book, special in-game thanks, extra character slots (# TBD), discounted sub rate ($ TDB), Gold forum badge, Beta 2 access, 40 total FPs and a total of 3 months of free subscription.

It says everything above which is

Pledge Tier $25 – Comes with access to private forums, official “Thank You” email/letter, Bronze forum badge, 5 FPs, 1 digital copy of the game, 1 month free subscription, digital manual, special in-game title, an additional 5 FPs if you bought March on Oz, an additional 5 FPs if you are a subscriber to our newsletter, access to our Founder’s Store and Beta 5 Access to the game.

Pledge Tier $50 – Comes with everything above plus a special founder’s gravestone marker, founder’s app, ringtones and wallpapers, digital strategy guide, special thanks in the credits, founder’s crafting icon, extra beta invites (# TBD), realm-locked founder’s chat, Beta 4 access, 25 FPs and an additional 1 month of subscription.

If I understand correctly that would get everything in the $25 & $50 tier & your 40 FP's for the $110 tier (everything in the $110 tier) and 5 FP's & 30 FP's for the Tier $25 and $50, making your total for buying the $110 tier 75 FP's? From the way it is worded this is correct in how many FP's you'd get aye?

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by fanglo

Before I throw down some cash, I would like to know an answer to a simple question. Will perma-stealth be in the game?

I seriously hope not, perma stealth is the lamest feature for stealthers. It needs to be more challenging, not just "Oh, I'm gonna stealth on over to this person, open up, take over half their life, then finish em off, then poof away again.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TelynTelyn Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    Pff this will cost me $200 to get into the alpha

Yeah, me too.   I would go for the $250 subscription plan, but that doesn't include alpha, which is most important to me.   Which is why I'm a little confused about the tiers and their interplay. 

So when can I throw my money at this?

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196
    At the $200-$250 price points, you need to decide whether you want alpha access or the three year subscription. If you want both, you need to go up to the $500.

Those that get frustrated by being part of the early development of a project should not worry about joining in on the alpha phase. Just do the beta. And if you want a "lifetime" sub, go for the $250 kickstarter.

The massively site has the physical reward tiers. They are in addition to those posted here, per Mark's post in the CU forums on this site.
  • LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

I'm not happy about CU pledge tiers at all, main reason is too elitist approach, like; “'Founder’s Points' that can be spent inside the game in a backers-only store.” and ”special proc, founder’s death animation, founder’s sit animation, founder’s weapon glow, founder’s leaderboards, priority login, priority appeal queue, founder’s hat (cosmetic), founder’s cloak (cosmetic), special crafter items (all cosmetic, things such as weapon forge, forge glow, apron, additional storage space, etc.) and many more.”.

More wise approach would be something for us to participate in building the game, e.g. naming the NPC or for higher tier creating the entire NPC model or describing/designing and naming the weapon.

If CU wants to be PvP centric game then please leave this care-bear stuff away.

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• Agent57Agent57 Member Posts: 1

an additional 5 FPs if you bought March on Oz

CU is a PC game, right? I don't like this idea that there's an extra reward for someone who bought an iPad game. It doesn't make sense to me.

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Luxthor

I'm not happy about CU pledge tiers at all, main reason is too elitist approach, like; “'Founder’s Points' that can be spent inside the game in a backers-only store.” and ”special proc, founder’s death animation, founder’s sit animation, founder’s weapon glow, founder’s leaderboards, priority login, priority appeal queue, founder’s hat (cosmetic), founder’s cloak (cosmetic), special crafter items (all cosmetic, things such as weapon forge, forge glow, apron, additional storage space, etc.) and many more.”.

More wise approach would be something for us to participate in building the game, e.g. naming the NPC or for higher tier creating the entire NPC model or describing/designing and naming the weapon.

Thats one opinion, I don't agree. Having players design an npc in a pvp centric game seems  like it could be an option but I can't imagine the time and effort it would take to bring that to reality (if it were a widely bid on tier). I'd much rather have them do this way, make some items, and buy what you like.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

@Mark I just think it is a mistake to put alpha access so high. It should be at $25 and every tier above. The $25 tier should have alpha access + a copy of the game + free month and little to no cosmetics IMO.

Sincerely, a (poor) fan who is still excited but won't be backing after all.

• ForgottenHeathenForgottenHeathen Member Posts: 1

Your opinion is noted, but I do not agree, either.  For one thing, you said "elitist" and then said "care bear" in the same post. This makes me think you do not understand the meaning of either. Being a "PvP centric" game does not mean you are catering to a single group of people. All types of players are going to play and be needed in this game.

Your ideas for reward options are good, however, and I hope they can be implemented on some of the higher tiers.

On another note, as has been mentioned over on the Massively interview comments, I would like to make sure we have the option to up our contribution over the course of the Kickstarter. As many have pointed out, most of us would love to at least contribute 250$, but doing so at one time is a problem. Being able to contribute over the course of the Kickstarter would help a lot of people aim for those upper tiers.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

@Mark I just think it is a mistake to put alpha access so high. It should be at $25 and every tier above. The $25 tier should have alpha access + a copy of the game + free month and little to no cosmetics IMO.

Sincerely, a (poor) fan who is still excited but won't be backing after all.

final beta (before any sort of open beta I mean), but alpha, no. 

I like reward tiers that mix cosmetic and efficacious rewards.  I don't care if it's moderately pay2win, at least not when it comes to kickstarters.  Since I know little about the game, I don't know what would be fair, but something that increases xp, or starts you with some in game currency, or something.   I'm actually less enthusiastic about these rewards that are completely exclusive, whether they are cosmetic or not.

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104
    For the $150 tier, do both digital copies get ALL of the rewards?
  • MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I think that not following the somewhat standard Tier format where chosen Tier gets all previous Tier rewards is going to cause confusion and headaches.

That said, TAKE MY MONEY!
    Originally posted by Oldskoo

Thats one opinion, I don't agree. Having players design an npc in a pvp centric game seems  like it could be an option but I can't imagine the time and effort it would take to bring that to reality (if it were a widely bid on tier). I'd much rather have them do this way, make some items, and buy what you like.

Why would you want to be visually segregated as founder? Why would any regular player who bought game after release wants to know that, to feel lesser player?!

“Founder's Points” should be regular in-game Points at least, so peeps like me can have choice to spend and not being marked in the same time. I don't want that regular players hate me because of priority appeal queue or any similar elitist feature.

For those who want to believe that they are part of the history, M.J. can put founder list at the end of the credits. ;)

---

Originally posted by ForgottenHeathen

Your opinion is noted, but I do not agree, either.  For one thing, you said "elitist" and then said "care bear" in the same post. This makes me think you do not understand the meaning of either. Being a "PvP centric" game does not mean you are catering to a single group of people. All types of players are going to play and be needed in this game.

Same post but in different context, and I shamelessly used term 'care-bear' in the same sentence with the 'PvP centric' for the sake of the contrast, nothing more. I don't want CU to become new “Sparklingponygalore” MMO. Also this thread is not right place for debating on this subject.

---

• r4gzr4gz Member Posts: 1

I would like to see a Digital Tier that includes simply a Copy of the Game, Access to Alpha and Beta + Forums for ~$40-$60.  I don't want all the extra stuff.  I also think that 'priority login' is a bad, bad idea.  Battlefield 3 had this AFTER I bought the game, but only for Premium accounts.  There's nothing worse than paying $60 for a game, then watching people who paid $100 skip in front of you in the queue for your favorite server.  Special Proc sounds bad too (if were talking DAoC proc's)

• carminebeecarminebee Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    If you have questions for Mark, put them in the comments here, and we'll send them to Mark tonight to be answered tomorrow in a follow-up feature!

May I ask Mark to give some explanation on this:

Here are some of the items that our backers will be able to spend their FPs on – reserving your character name, special proc, founder’s death animation, founder’s sit animation, founder’s weapon glow, founder’s leaderboards, priority login, priority appeal queue, founder’s hat (cosmetic), founder’s cloak (cosmetic), special crafter items (all cosmetic, things such as weapon forge, forge glow, apron, additional storage space, etc.)

I understand (and approve) all those cosmetic things but what are these priorities???

(and what is the price in FP for these?)

Is this something linked to the founder leaderboard? or some kind of priority in the game?

It could make a BIG difference! ^^

It would be very kind to give us more accurate details about what will be avalaible in the Founder-Shop. especially before launching the Kickstater :)

THX

(English is not my mother tongue. So please forgive me if I didn't understand correctly)

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Maybe I am dense...

But can someone please explain to me why / how this is okay that Mark Jacobs has just turned Kickstarter into a Cash Shop / Mircotransactions mall?

This done - doesn't this suggest and support that the whole game will be a Pay to Win model?

I mean - there are things in the "reward tiers" that are NOT cosmetic (extra character slots and priority login for example).

Also, for a guy who hates gold sellers, it seems to me he wants to put them in business?

The reduced Subscriptions price for some tiers?

How about the $250 tier with a 3 year subscription renewed for $1 per year? ($250+$1+$1 / 36months  = $7 / month)

So, you have just given some accounts 'added value' over other accounts... which is the domain of "gold sellers" isn't it?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

Count me in for the $200 tier!

I am drooling over this game already and I haven't even seen any gameplay lol.

Mark Jacobs, you are the man sir!

Raises his alienware gaming pc into the air in salute to you!

If I won the lottery I would fund this entire game myself lol

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I'll throw money at this game when it's a finished product, the words alpha or beta appear nowhere, and others have played it for 2-3 months and I see mostly positive reviews. 

The MMO genre has fooled me one too many times and now I trust no one, regardless of their track record. 

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

This game is going to be subs and pay to win cash shop, starting with kickstarter.

I hope ypu people know what you're in to.

My opinion? virtual world is not worth that money to be spent on.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by znaiika

This game is going to be subs and pay to win cash shop, starting with kickstarter.

I hope ypu people know what you're in to.

My opinion? virtual world is not worth that money to be spent on.

^ Completely misinformation.  Please go read about the game and kickstarter before attempting character assassination.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.