Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first reaction to the $200,$250,$500 pledge tiers.

Comments

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Lyvins

To be honest , i was intrested in the game until the following. I was happy to invest but having to pay Sub still just doesn't do it for me. I would be ashamed as a dev. To ask money to make a game and then ask monthly fee + like people have said not even a lifetime in it for giving 500 dollars for example. 

edit: whats the point for having more then one copy ?? give people atleast game time for it.

Digital Tiers:

$250 has a three year (36 months) deeply discounted rate of $1.00 per year.  That means on average, you would pay between 25.99 to 49.99 (or 59.99 if you're purchasing from Blizzard) and getting an incredible subscription rate.  For math sake, we'll go with a flat $30.00 rate; now we're down to $220 dollars.  That means on average if the highest subscription rate is $14.99, you'll have prepaid for 14 months, given unique items and beta access, and a deeply discounted renewal rate.  Then, you'll be effectively paying only $0.08 per month thereafter.  This isn't taking in consideration the extra fluff you'll receive along the way and most important, a released product at the end of your journey.

The same applies to other similiar tiers.

Now that I've provided some actual statistics, still feel the same way?  Shamefully, probably so.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by KappenWiz
    Originally posted by sweetdigs
    Originally posted by morfidon
    Originally posted by Corinthian-X

i 'd like to be a part of alpha, but for me personally, I think the the $250 lifetime tier is just too good a value to pass up.  If there was a way to get both the $250 tier + alpha access (without going for the $500 package) I'd definitely opt for that. 

MJ, I wouldn't object to your idea of the limited number of packages that offered both. I think it would be cool to give some of the early birds that don't have $500 to drop a chance to get both.

That would be nice very limited 400$ with both limited AA + lifetime sub. But 500$ should stay where it is. So people who are late would need to pay more. But it could create some confusion...

I also would be interested in a limited quantity ~$350-400 package that includes AA + lifetime sub, but nothing else.  I guess I'm one of those people that just doesn't care about art books, miniatures, etc.  About the only thing I'd want other than the game is maybe a big cloth map, but heck, I'd be fine even with a digital map of the world.  All the other fluff/extra just isn't something I want and just gets tossed in the garbage when I get it anyway simply because my house is already full of "stuff." 

Actually, I hope they don't change this. Alpha is important for the foundation of the game, so it's fine to weed out the half-serious people using this process.

If you don't have the time/money/desire to Alpha right now, you'll have to make a decision.

CHOICES MATTER  :p

That's still a choice.  $200 for AA, $250 for lifetime sub, $400 for both.  Not sure what you're missing here.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Wazluk
    Originally posted by taus01

Dude, chill out. I have nothing against kickstarter or people that want to throw money away.  "Everyone even remotely thinking about paying this is a fool." I am just merely making an observation.

Your foot is still in your mouth

Taking 3 quotes entirely out of context. Go troll someone else.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

i 'd like to be a part of alpha, but for me personally, I think the the $250 lifetime tier is just too good a value to pass up.  If there was a way to get both the $250 tier + alpha access (without going for the $500 package) I'd definitely opt for that. 

MJ, I wouldn't object to your idea of the limited number of packages that offered both. I think it would be cool to give some of the early birds that don't have $500 to drop a chance to get both.

That would be nice very limited 400$ with both limited AA + lifetime sub. But 500$ should stay where it is. So people who are late would need to pay more. But it could create some confusion...

I also would be interested in a limited quantity ~$350-400 package that includes AA + lifetime sub, but nothing else.  I guess I'm one of those people that just doesn't care about art books, miniatures, etc.  About the only thing I'd want other than the game is maybe a big cloth map, but heck, I'd be fine even with a digital map of the world.  All the other fluff/extra just isn't something I want and just gets tossed in the garbage when I get it anyway simply because my house is already full of "stuff." 

Actually, I hope they don't change this. Alpha is important for the foundation of the game, so it's fine to weed out the half-serious people using this process.

If you don't have the time/money/desire to Alpha right now, you'll have to make a decision.

That's still a choice.  $200 for AA, $250 for lifetime sub, $400 for both.  Not sure what you're missing here.

I'm not missing anything, this is just people asking for lower prices. If you have to choose between the lifetime sub and AA, so be it. If AA is more important to you, do that, if the sub is, do that. If you have the money for both, do that.

This setup stresses how importantly CSE views Alpha testers. Access is not just an add-on to another tier.

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70

Dear Mr. MarkJacobs

Running a company ain't simple and i know that. But you have to consider the following.

Kickstarter -> people invest

Subs -> people pay to play the game; 

These two elements can be in your favor but could easly backfire on you.  People will use this against you if you do not update the game fast enough. If you really want people to back the kickstarter and play your game. then read the following:

Subs are a good way of getting money, but going B2P would greatly increase your playerbase. If you do it smart and dev. the ingame store you can easly earn money alot faster. Sell costimic gear or even sell currency.

You have to realize that for alot of people games are about having fun and part of that fun for many people is having a good looking char. No better way to get that by sometimes spending that dollar in the store.  

Sub fee then is funny , people these days are happy to pay, but expect alot ! don't live up to it and they leave, the smallest thing can let them unsub. While with a B2P people tend to go back faster when something new comes out because people just want to try and play. People don't always want to waste 10-15 euro's or dollars or pounds to just check something new out and get dissapointed.

This is not meant to have a argument with you, just giving you my view on games these days and  the way the run.

Dear Mr. MarkJacobs

Running a company ain't simple and i know that. But you have to consider the following.

These two elements can be in your favor but could easly backfire on you.  People will use this against you if you do not update the game fast enough. If you really want people to back the kickstarter and play your game. then read the following:

Subs are a good way of getting money, but going B2P would greatly increase your playerbase. If you do it smart and dev. the ingame store you can easly earn money alot faster. Sell costimic gear or even sell currency.

You have to realize that for alot of people games are about having fun and part of that fun for many people is having a good looking char. No better way to get that by sometimes spending that dollar in the store.  

Sub fee then is funny , people these days are happy to pay, but expect alot ! don't live up to it and they leave, the smallest thing can let them unsub. While with a B2P people tend to go back faster when something new comes out because people just want to try and play. People don't always want to waste 10-15 euro's or dollars or pounds to just check something new out and get dissapointed.

This is not meant to have a argument with you, just giving you my view on games these days and  the way the run.

Stop trolling.  Mark has already said this game is going to be a subscription game.  Why do people keep derailing threads with this stuff?

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

Dear Mr. MarkJacobs

lol and now the f2p and b2p with a cash store thread starts.:P Also Mark does not care for a hugh playerbase or he would not be making a rvr niche game.

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Digital Tiers:

$250 has a three year (36 months) deeply discounted rate of $1.00 per year. 

That's not how I'm reading it.

Pledge Tier $250 – Comes with everything in the $50 tier plus special starter armor (cosmetic), special starter weapon (cosmetic), wall plaque, 3 year subscription renewable for $1 per year (Kickstarter has asked us not to have a lifetime subscription but a shorter one that renews for a small amount and well, $1 is pretty small), extra character slots (# TBD), Beta 2 access, Platinum forum badge and 60 FPs.

The way it reads to me is that it is 3 years of paid game time, then a $1 per year (or $3 for 3 years, whatever) subscription rate after that. Maybe Mark will clarify for us at some point.

I've already stated what my choice would be. And how much money someone can spend doesn't necessarily equal how serious they are about the game. The value of $500 differs greatly from person to person.

Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Digital Tiers:

$250 has a three year (36 months) deeply discounted rate of $1.00 per year. 

That's not how I'm reading it.

Pledge Tier $250 – Comes with everything in the $50 tier plus special starter armor (cosmetic), special starter weapon (cosmetic), wall plaque, 3 year subscription renewable for $1 per year (Kickstarter has asked us not to have a lifetime subscription but a shorter one that renews for a small amount and well, $1 is pretty small), extra character slots (# TBD), Beta 2 access, Platinum forum badge and 60 FPs.

The way it reads to me is that it is 3 years of paid game time, then a $1 per year (or $3 for 3 years, whatever) subscription rate after that. Maybe Mark will clarify for us at some point.

True.. either way, it's ridiculously cheap! :)

• TelynTelyn Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Mortify

What i really would like as an old DAoC player is to have Alpha access to the game. As a gamer and a software engineer i truly  believe i can be of help there, so i want a tier with alpha access. That would be the $200 tier.

However, since I am willing to frontload 100% faith in MJ and Camelot Unchained i want to go for a ' lifetime sub' option, that would be the $250 tier.

It seems very odd to me that i have to choose between them, or pay $500 for the combined one. This would mean that i get 'punished' for wanting a lifetime sub because when i choose to have alpha access on top of a 'lifetime sub' i would need to pledge $250 extra.

And yes, i glanced over all the other stuff i get, but what i'm primarily interested in is Alpha access and lifetime sub. A lifetime sub should cost quite a penny, but alpha access should (in my opinion) be a no-brainer in this tier.

I'm a gamer, i want to play early, play long and play hard! I find $500 to combine the $200 Alpha and the $250 'lifetime' too steep, maybe come up with a 'hybrid' solution?

Yes, exactly.  I want both, but $500 is pretty steep.

I'm also slightly concerned that the alpha testers will be exclusively those with more money than sense.  Although I am going to support this game, and will pay for alpha, myself, if necessary, because I adore testing games to help make them as good as possible, I know a number of people who are excellent testers, but who won't be able to pay that much.  Will any testing consideration be given to old team leads and longtime Pendragon forum testers, and/or those with extensive testing backgrounds?  Or will only those who can pay be allowed to test?

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156

I´m glad to see, that the alpha access remains something limited here. Not sure how some of the other projects plan on dealing with ten thousand alpha testers, but since a lot of them do have talented guys in their ranks, Im sure they know how to handle it. Still, I prefer a limited Alpha where the developers are actually able to listen to players instead of being buried by all the requests.

So 200$ for those absolutely eager to get into the alpha, even if that means to pass on other perks, 250$ for those eager to get a lifetime sub and after that 500$ with lifetime sub, alpha and the additional stuff is fine with me.

Quality > Quantity. I want a well polished game. 10.000 alpha testers won´t accomplish that.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

Mark - my initial reaction is these things look pretty good.  I'm still deciding whether I want to pay for alpha access.  I feel like many of us that have been posting here could offer a lot of valuable feedback in alpha, but as a busy bee in real life, I'm not sure I could add as much value/play time to an alpha as perhaps other posters here and would be hesitant to tie up one of the limited alpha slots if I only have 5-20 hours a week to devote to the alpha (or less if I'm in trial that week).

I think the most important thing is to be VERY clear about what you get with each access tier.  Especially tiers where you're getting multiple accounts - be clear whether each account gets the alpha/beta access or giveaways (guessing no, but maybe for the beta tiers it makes more sense).  You don't want people holding off on kickstarting because they just aren't sure what each tier offers.

I also wish you had gone the route of getting points to pick what yoiu want, as I would like a mix of the digital/physical sides - for example, the cloth map is great, but I don't want anything else physical.  Would've been nice to have some points to spend on those types of things.  Maybe you can offer the physical items as something that can be purchased with FPs?  E.g., the signed cloth map can be picked up for 10 FPs?

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Oh well, I guess I'll have to be a forum rat to try and get alpha access. Guess I'm stuck with gw2 as a time filler.
  • morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Odaman
    Oh well, I guess I'll have to be a forum rat to try and get alpha access. Guess I'm stuck with gw2 as a time filler.

You don't need to camp for info about kickstarter. There will be counter for kickstarter before it start (Mark said so) :)

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Mark - my initial reaction is these things look pretty good.  I'm still deciding whether I want to pay for alpha access.  I feel like many of us that have been posting here could offer a lot of valuable feedback in alpha, but as a busy bee in real life, I'm not sure I could add as much value/play time to an alpha as perhaps other posters here and would be hesitant to tie up one of the limited alpha slots if I only have 5-20 hours a week to devote to the alpha (or less if I'm in trial that week).

I think the most important thing is to be VERY clear about what you get with each access tier.  Especially tiers where you're getting multiple accounts - be clear whether each account gets the alpha/beta access or giveaways (guessing no, but maybe for the beta tiers it makes more sense).  You don't want people holding off on kickstarting because they just aren't sure what each tier offers.

I also wish you had gone the route of getting points to pick what yoiu want, as I would like a mix of the digital/physical sides - for example, the cloth map is great, but I don't want anything else physical.  Would've been nice to have some points to spend on those types of things.  Maybe you can offer the physical items as something that can be purchased with FPs?  E.g., the signed cloth map can be picked up for 10 FPs?

Man, I so wanted to go with the RYO plan but there just wasn't enough support for it. This really surprised me as it semed like the perfect way to go and it certainly would have made my life easier (much fewer tiers) but...

As to being very clear, you're right and I'll make sure of that when we post all the tiers in a few more days. If I forget or am not clear enough, please  remind me. 

As to AA, that's another concern I have with AA access at all. AA is not about playing the game, it's about breaking the game, helping us test new tech, etc. Alpha is going to be boring, frustrating and ugly (Gee, I'm a GREAT salesman aren't I?) through most of it and won't be much fun till later in the process. People really need to think about whether they want to be in my definition of alpha. If CU is to succeed we can't go the more traditional route of alpha/beta but rather we need to get people in early and often testing along with us. That's the key word, testing because that's what our alpha is going to be. 

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• moha23moha23 Member Posts: 5
    multiple accounts? here comes my buffbot ;)
  • gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs
    As to AA, that's another concern I have with AA access at all. AA is not about playing the game, it's about breaking the game, helping us test new tech, etc. Alpha is going to be boring, frustrating and ugly (Gee, I'm a GREAT salesman aren't I?)

A truthful salesman, how about that?:)

for example, the cloth map is great, but I don't want anything else physical.  Would've been nice to have some points to spend on those types of things.  Maybe you can offer the physical items as something that can be purchased with FPs?  E.g., the signed cloth map can be picked up for 10 FPs?

I support this. I'd pony up for the cloth map, but don't have much interest in physical rewards outside of that. having a couple of the smaller physical rewards available for FPs would be cool.

Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Man, I so wanted to go with the RYO plan but there just wasn't enough support for it. This really surprised me as it semed like the perfect way to go and it certainly would have made my life easier (much fewer tiers) but...

As to being very clear, you're right and I'll make sure of that when we post all the tiers in a few more days. If I forget or am not clear enough, please  remind me. 

As to AA, that's another concern I have with AA access at all. AA is not about playing the game, it's about breaking the game, helping us test new tech, etc. Alpha is going to be boring, frustrating and ugly (Gee, I'm a GREAT salesman aren't I?) through most of it and won't be much fun till later in the process. People really need to think about whether they want to be in my definition of alpha. If CU is to succeed we can't go the more traditional route of alpha/beta but rather we need to get people in early and often testing along with us. That's the key word, testing because that's what our alpha is going to be. 

Completely understood re: the alpha.  When I say "play," I mean that in the most general terms.  Frankly, I'd rather spend my time testing, breaking, and providing feedback for a game I'm very excited about in the future than I would playing one of the mainstream MMOs out there today.  Many of us enjoy breaking stuff any way.  =)

I'm just concerned that if there are 500 alpha slots and I buy one of those and get tied up for a month and can't contribute, I would feel like my purchase of the alpha hindered the project more than helped it, if that makes sense.

Anyway, looking forward to the launch of the kickstarter.  Will go through the tiers with a fine tooth comb after you release the full set and give you feedback then on anything that might be less than fully clear.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Well as someone who likes MJs ideas but hasn't been sold on any of his products I gotta say I ain't sold on this "alpha" tier as of yet. Also makes me worried that this alpha will be full of DAoC fanboys (fangrandads?) and they will inevitably drown out any feedback from everyone else.

The odds are too high for me at this moment.

• VymmVymm Member Posts: 112

Make me pay for the rest of my life for a game that is worth paying for .... gladly do it.  Hell, I pay for games I am NOT thrilled to be a part of just to do something I enjoy with friends.

I love the way this is shaking out and love the fact that MJ is as involved as he is with the community.  I wish they never robbed you of your dream for WAR.  I eagerly await my chance to throw money at this ..... hopefully for many years to come.

Vymm

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Zygote007

I love the way this is shaking out and love the fact that MJ is as involved as he is with the community. 

Yeah i'm pretty pleased with the energy he puts into this, that's why i have no doubt in backing the project. If things don't come to fruition it won't be due to lack of energy or devotion on MJ's part.

And regarding my original post: I truly do hope some sort of a hybrid tier inbetween the 2 highest digital tiers will emerge, but if that doesn't happen MJ has stated that he'd grant alpha access to handpicked people he finds contributed to the game on the forums, so there's a challenge in there for me to meet ;).

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• VymmVymm Member Posts: 112

Personally, I want to know more about the BSC tier ... it has me checking my bank statement more closely.  This year's bonus may be headed to MJ and his band of merry men/women.

Vymm

Originally posted by Teh_Axi

Also makes me worried that this alpha will be full of DAoC fanboys (fangrandads?) and they will inevitably drown out any feedback from everyone else.

The amount of hatred and distaste for DAoC veterans within the community right now, which are mostly comprised of DAoC veterans, is pretty ridiculous.  It's almost to the point Mark should just send out a newsletter on Monday, April 1 announcing DAoC "fanbois" facing off against DAoC Haters.

It'll be a great April Fool's prank.  Nonetheless, CSE would be pretty foolish to ignore feedback simply because you didn't play DAoC.