Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first reaction to the $200,$250,$500 pledge tiers.

Comments

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Corinthian-X

i 'd like to be a part of alpha, but for me personally, I think the the $250 lifetime tier is just too good a value to pass up.  If there was a way to get both the $250 tier + alpha access (without going for the $500 package) I'd definitely opt for that. 

MJ, I wouldn't object to your idea of the limited number of packages that offered both. I think it would be cool to give some of the early birds that don't have $500 to drop a chance to get both.

That would be nice very limited 400$ with both limited AA + lifetime sub. But 500$ should stay where it is. So people who are late would need to pay more. But it could create some confusion...

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by sonicbrew

Hey Mark, Ididn't think I flamed you and that was honestly not my intention. So apologies if that is how it was taken or percieved. I posted out of disappointment more than anything else. I and others were very loyal to your previous project and for all you know I could be some idiot blowing smoke as I am certain there are no records left over of who was who. So I didn't think emailing/messaging you would have got me anywhere to begin with.

Well, you never know until you try right? I've gotten a lot of email here and other places and I do try to respond.

You're right though, part of the problem is proving who people are and frankly, I couldn't keep track of that even if I wanted to because, well, that information would be the property of EA and as such, I have no access to it.

I loved the TL concept when it worked well (meaning TLs who actually told us what was wrong, OP, etc.) and I think we should have something like that again. We did have some really good TLs, guys and gals who wanted Dark Age to succeed and knew that it was in their best interest to tell us the truth. OTOH, we also had TLs who hid information from us because they didn't want their class to be balanced/nerfed/adjusted. We also had some internal issues with people who didn't want their favorite classes to get the same treatment so it's a very complicated issue.

Let's take this to email so as not to derail the thread but please do understand I am grateful to everyone who both played and helped with Dark Age of Camelot. I know that a lot of former players are looking at CU as an MMO that they are looking forward to and that is another of my many reasons for trying to fill the pledge tiers with lots of goodies and I plan to do even more.

Edit: My road is now plowed and I'll be heading into the office so I'll be vanishing for a bit. BBL.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Yikes, for that amount of money they can't/don't even throw in a lifetime membership?  I guess they are leaving the backdoor open for a possible F2P restructure just in case their sub model doesn't pan out.

lol apprently you have not heard Marks take on this. f2p won't work for this niche game and I for one would not play it if it was.:)

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by morfidon

i 'd like to be a part of alpha, but for me personally, I think the the $250 lifetime tier is just too good a value to pass up.  If there was a way to get both the $250 tier + alpha access (without going for the $500 package) I'd definitely opt for that. 

MJ, I wouldn't object to your idea of the limited number of packages that offered both. I think it would be cool to give some of the early birds that don't have $500 to drop a chance to get both.

That would be nice very limited 400$ with both limited AA + lifetime sub. But 500$ should stay where it is. So people who are late would need to pay more. But it could create some confusion...

Yes, the $500 tier would remain. I was referring to this post by Mark:

Maybe keep the $200 tier and create a very limited in #s (1K?) tier with AA + Lifetime?

That helps limit the number of testers in alpha while rewarding early adopters who may not be in a position to opt into the higher priced tier. Its not a deal breaker for me wither way. As I said, at the end of the day if its one or the other,  the goodies from the $250 tier outweigh alpha access for me.

Originally posted by Edany

I too played on Pendragon from Day 1 until the very painful decision was made to allow Character Copies / Transfers onto the Pendragon Server. I remember the week of VN ranting and raving because of the destruction and havoc that move caused. I remember all of the players on regular servers coming to those same boards to flame the hell out of us because "we" let them down by letting so many bugs get through. They never once considered all of the times we reported issues only to see them go live and then take the fall for them.

Yes, we were a fantastic community, one of the best I've ever experienced to this day throughout the last 10 years. That said, DAoC is not Camelot Unchained. It's not the same company. It's not the same team. This isn't DAoC 2, and having played DAoC (even on Pendragon) does not entitle me, or you, or any of us to any special privileges for Camelot Unchained.

I will still be supporting this game with every spare dollar I can muster simply for the chance to have some flavor of that old community back in game, together again, developed by a founding member of the Team that gave us such a great game to begin with.

Edit: With that said, as a fellow Pendragoner, I hope to see you there. :)

Well said Edany.:)

• IcnoevilIcnoevil Member Posts: 9

Unless you are rich with money to burn plz dont ever buy kickstarters...thanks. This may be a great game etc etc I just don't believe in kickstarters....This guy just like most could afford to bank roll this game 10x over but yet he is asking for money? Any buisnsess man with half a brain would run from such a thing. Nothing to you Mark but all kickstarters.

Make a great game. I will buy it and be a loyal fan forever. The end.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Hurray to paying $200 for Alpha access. Now WE pay them to test their games. They truly brainwashed the gaming comunity! Everyone even remotely thinking about paying this is a fool.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by taus01

Hurray to paying $200 for Alpha access. Now WE pay them to test their games. They truly brainwashed the gaming comunity! Everyone even remotely thinking about paying this is a fool.

Have you ever experienced being alpha tester? Some people get 200$ per day or even more and they would like to have experience like this. It's their decision. Don't be jealous.

You don't need to pay. You have a choice not to pay at all. But you have also choice to get something else from Kickstarter like digital copy of game which probably cost here about 50% less then it will cost when it will be released. So you can get your game cheaper in preorder.

Many people preoder games not knowing anything about the game but the title of the game.

Its a little known fact that before law school, Mark Jacobs journeyed into the deepest wilds of Africa and studied the shamanistic practices of the indigenous peoples. He emerged four years later as an elder witch doctor.

What kind of defense can we possibly have against such dark forces?

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Its a little known fact that before law school, Mark Jacobs journeyed into the deepest wilds of Africa and studied the shamanistic practices of the indigenous peoples. He emerged four years later as an elder witch doctor.

^ This post is full of win

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Have you ever experienced being alpha tester? Some people get 200$ per day or even more and they would like to have experience like this. It's their decision. Don't be jealous.

You don't need to pay. You have a choice not to pay at all. But you have also choice to get something else from Kickstarter like digital copy of game which probably cost here about 50% less then it will cost when it will be released. So you can get your game cheaper in preorder.

Many people preoder games not knowing anything about the game but the title of the game.

Dude, chill out. I have nothing against kickstarter or people that want to throw money away. I am just merely making an observation. You have to admit that it is funny. I remember years ago (before digital distribution) when we all where fed up with games beeing released in beta stages, unplayable some of them. We demanded the companies release free demos, trials of the games and make sure the games are playable on release.

Now we pay them for Alpha. It's quite amusing and sad at the same time.

PS: Yes i have been doing QA for THQ and got payd for it i might add.

+10023

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Evolve or stay on the sidelines.  It really is that simple.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

Dude, chill out. I have nothing against kickstarter or people that want to throw money away. I am just merely making an observation. You have to admit that it is funny. I remember years ago (before digital distribution) when we all where fed up with games beeing released in beta stages, unplayable some of them. We demanded the companies release free demos, trials of the games and make sure the games are playable on release.

Now we pay them for Alpha. It's quite amusing and sad at the same time.

PS: Yes i have been doing QA for THQ and got payd for it i might add.

With crowdfunding you are helping pay for the development of the game. Alpha access is a perk. Sure, some people wil pledge just to get access to alpha but that is their preogative. A lot more pople will pledge into other tiers that don't include alpha testing access.

Originally posted by Icnoevil

Unless you are rich with money to burn plz dont ever buy kickstarters...thanks.

Hmm maybe let people decide for themselves what they do with their own money? Just a thought.:P

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

When I was a much younger IT worker I always thought it would be cool to get paid to test gaming software. 

Who knew that years later it would be the other way around, and I'd end up paying for the priviledge to do the testing.  image

Just messing, I realize this is entirely voluntary and in fact, I'd be more inclined to take the middle tier because I have no real interest in beta testing, much less alpha, would seem too much like doing work, and I'm just here to have fun.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Kyleran

When I was a much younger IT worker I always thought it would be cool to get paid to test gaming software. 

Who knew that years later it would be the other way around, and I'd end up paying for the priviledge to do the testing.  image

Just messing, I realize this is entirely voluntary and in fact, I'd be more inclined to take the middle tier because I have no real interest in beta testing, much less alpha, would seem too much like doing work, and I'm just here to have fun.

We're not paying to beta test. We're paying for there to be a game at all since Mark has shown no interest in getting standard corporate funding to make CU if the Kickstarter fails. Beta invite is just a thank you reward from CSE to its backers not the reason we're giving them money.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70

To be honest , i was intrested in the game until the following. I was happy to invest but having to pay Sub still just doesn't do it for me. I would be ashamed as a dev. To ask money to make a game and then ask monthly fee + like people have said not even a lifetime in it for giving 500 dollars for example. 

edit: whats the point for having more then one copy ?? give people atleast game time for it.

Originally posted by meddyck

We're not paying to beta test. We're paying for there to be a game at all since Mark has shown no interest in getting standard corporate funding to make CU if the Kickstarter fails. Beta invite is just a thank you reward from CSE to its backers not the reason we're giving them money.

Actually some folks use kickstarter to also get a copy of the game for less.

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179

This! +1 - I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who are missing this salient point...

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Lyvins

To be honest , i was intrested in the game until the following. I was happy to invest but having to pay Sub still just doesn't do it for me. I would be ashamed as a dev. To ask money to make a game and then ask monthly fee + like people have said not even a lifetime in it for giving 500 dollars for example. 

edit: whats the point for having more then one copy ?? give people atleast game time for it.

Its for making the game...how is that not being understood by people? 

Monthly fees are still the norm for MMO.  Nothing wrong with that, im sure MarkJ can attest to the monthly fee that paid for server/bandwidth.   Do you honestly think that they are going to spend millions on a game, without a cash shop, and just let people have it free?   

Even if they charged for digital copies, they could not reap the income back with 50k players (sort of goal they hope to have around)

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Edany

This! +1 - I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who are missing this salient point...

It doesn't apply to everyone is why. Some people will back the KS mainly for alpha/beta access and early access to the game. While it's a nice sentiment, not everyone is of the same mindset.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196

I also would be interested in a limited quantity ~$350-400 package that includes AA + lifetime sub, but nothing else.  I guess I'm one of those people that just doesn't care about art books, miniatures, etc.  About the only thing I'd want other than the game is maybe a big cloth map, but heck, I'd be fine even with a digital map of the world.  All the other fluff/extra just isn't something I want and just gets tossed in the garbage when I get it anyway simply because my house is already full of "stuff." 

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

Kind of wondered this, too, so I guess what it means is it will allow three account creation processes - some sort of product key to enter - not the actual downloads.

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196

You don't HAVE to kickstart the project.  You can always just buy the game and subscribe when it comes out. 
    Not sure why you're offended by people who choose to contribute money towards the development of the type of game that they're interested in and that doesn't exist on today's market.

I've played all the MMOs out today, and played Neverwinter this weekend.  It makes me even more sad for the future of MMOs.  Mark doing this project independently and with kickstarter funding is about our best hope for getting an "old-school" MMO.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by sweetdigs

I also would be interested in a limited quantity ~$350-400 package that includes AA + lifetime sub, but nothing else.  I guess I'm one of those people that just doesn't care about art books, miniatures, etc.  About the only thing I'd want other than the game is maybe a big cloth map, but heck, I'd be fine even with a digital map of the world.  All the other fluff/extra just isn't something I want and just gets tossed in the garbage when I get it anyway simply because my house is already full of "stuff." 

Actually, I hope they don't change this. Alpha is important for the foundation of the game, so it's fine to weed out the half-serious people using this process.

If you don't have the time/money/desire to Alpha right now, you'll have to make a decision.

CHOICES MATTER  :p