Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How PvP looks in Defiance?

pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

Are there battlegrounds, open pvp, pvp objectives like in APB? or whatever... what to expect?

Can u kill somebody with a car? Are vehicles in any use for pvp?

Comments

• mistersalty1mistersalty1 Member Posts: 26
    from my time in the beta pvp goes like this.....get rocket launcher....bunnyhop while spamming rocket launcher. gg
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

There are battlegrounds, one 8v8 and one 16v16.

There is no open world PvP

There is a mode called The Shadow War that overlays across the world and puts you in a separate phase with objectives only the players in the match can see.  When it ends you end up in the world where you finish the match.

As for the actual combat, it is a shooter.  So if you have PvPed in any other shoot that is what you can expect. I don't like shooter style PvP so I found it less enjoyable than other MMO pvp.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

There is a mode called The Shadow War that overlays across the world and puts you in a separate phase with objectives only the players in the match can see.  When it ends you end up in the world where you finish the match.

As for the actual combat, it is a shooter.  So if you have PvPed in any other shoot that is what you can expect. I don't like shooter style PvP so I found it less enjoyable than other MMO pvp.

This ^ but I do like shooters and found the PvP to be enjoyable. 

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by mistersalty1
    from my time in the beta pvp goes like this.....get rocket launcher....bunnyhop while spamming rocket launcher. gg

Awesome sounds like some old school quake, sign me up.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Not quite...

I was far from impressed with the pvp, especially with the potential for so much more..

I guess if you like spamming rocket jump on a cap  point then go for it, with absolutely nothing to gain or lose from pvp at all..

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Old school Quake PvP was fast-paced, balanced and fun. Defiance's PvP is slow, unbalanced and boring. It's one of the least interesting PvP modes I've played lately.

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Now I'm clean from thinking about this game. No open PvP? I'm not playing mmo for killing mindless mobs... going back to APB thought...
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

What do you mean this?

That poster did nothing to explain what PvP was like, other than rattle off information that we all, already know.  

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

What do you mean this?

That poster did nothing to explain what PvP was like, other than rattle off information that we all, already know.  

Its your typical Third Person shooter experience, I'm not sure how to elaborate beyond that. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEz6bZHPAus

You are in the same map you would be for PvE in Shadow War. You and 31 other players are basically flagged for PvP and split into two teams. There are control points that only these 32 players can see. Mobs can still attack you and be attacked by you. You can still see other players in the game and they can see you but you can't shoot them and they can't shoot you. 

The objective is to control the points (A, B, C, etc. ) and fill up a bar. The first team to fill up their bar wins. 

While doing all of this the other team is trying to kill you and take points while you try to kill them and take points. 

Its a bit like APB if you threw in PvE content. 

nice video looks interesting thought
  • Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Boring as shit, terrible PvP. Either bunny hop with a rocket or stealth with a shotgun. Very pointless.
  • poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    Best PvP to date, imo!
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

It's okay.

It isn't some incredible PvP experience, it's simply "shooter PvP". I saw a few people had luck with the rocket launcher PvPers by choosing the Blur Ego skill, running right at them, and emptying a magazine right up into the rocket launcher person, no idea if it really worked or not though.

It isn't BF3, and it is not old school DAoC, but for what it is, it is okay. For me, it'll never be the most memorable part of the game, but it'll be a worthwhile time killer within the game.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by pokrak
    Now I'm clean from thinking about this game. No open PvP? I'm not playing mmo for killing mindless mobs... going back to APB thought...

You do realize APB has no open pvp either. You can't just run down the street and shoot someone, you have to be in the same match as them to actually do anything. So you are obviously just trying to get a rise out of people.

Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by pokrak

You do realize APB has no open pvp either. You can't just run down the street and shoot someone, you have to be in the same match as them to actually do anything. So you are obviously just trying to get a rise out of people.

In APB pvp competition is its main part

Nah I 'm not trying to get a rise out of people, anything like this. Im just looking for some new pvp experience and it looks like Defiance will not give me this.

For sure game is fun but oriented for pve. No offence with this...

will try WildStar insted

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

I'm not big on PvP so only messed with it a little bit. From what I saw it had some attraction to it, like fairly large areas. 

There are vehicles and they can be used as weapons, and some had machine guns mounted on them for a second player to ride on the back and shoot people.  So could be a fun team oriented challenge to match a driver and ginner together that are worth a damn.

In most pvp matches I did do there would be several of us that were ego levels 150 to 250, against a team of the same, except there would be one 400+ guy in there somewhere that would pretty much own the opposing team all by himself.  Which was kind of a drag. Trying to bring his shield down even with two of us on LMG's one sniper, and guy with a BMG we could not bring down that one player when we cornered him. 

So at the time of beta 3 it seemed like the balance was skewed. 

Not so nice guy!

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by lordtwisted
     In most pvp matches I did do there would be several of us that were ego levels 150 to 250, against a team of the same, except there would be one 400+ guy in there somewhere that would pretty much own the opposing team all by himself.  

No. This is not the usual gear.based and gear-grinding MMORPG. Having EGO level of 100 or 1000 give not access to better weapons or better defences or whatever. Perhaps that guy had the two major defensive perks (the one that raises your hitpoint and the one that let you take less damage) and you can unlock and equip them too, moreover a well placed headshot from a sniper rifle would have killed him no matter how many is his EGO level...
  • lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by r3dl4nce

Originally posted by lordtwisted
     In most pvp matches I did do there would be several of us that were ego levels 150 to 250, against a team of the same, except there would be one 400+ guy in there somewhere that would pretty much own the opposing team all by himself.  

No. This is not the usual gear.based and gear-grinding MMORPG. Having EGO level of 100 or 1000 give not access to better weapons or better defences or whatever. Perhaps that guy had the two major defensive perks (the one that raises your hitpoint and the one that let you take less damage) and you can unlock and equip them too, moreover a well placed headshot from a sniper rifle would have killed him no matter how many is his EGO level...

As much as I would like to agree with that, his purple lasers of death were taking us out left and right, while we were running out of ammo without dropping him once. 

While I did not use a sniper rifle, I typically always focus on head shots, just like in borderlands, I put my SMG on the chest and let my recoil bring me up for the critical hits on the head. 

All in all, your description is how it should be, and I believe is intended to be, but there was a bug, or an exploit somewhere where this guy would swat us like flies, while we could not bring him down. 

I did not figure out I could turn on my "Show damage" numbers until after these matches, so would have been nice to have seen if there was a damage eduction. Damage reduction maxed out, with a good shield would have accounted for a lot of it. 

And while I know gear grinding isn't supposed to work out to that extreme, think about the fact that if this guy focused only on one weapon for 400+ levels then his level of use on that weapon would have been increased more than mine which was spread between three favored weapon types. 

His shield would have been a level 400 type shield that would have had better stats, and he would have had better mods and such to add to his weapons. 

So while the developers intend for levels to matter as little as possible, they are still going to add an advantage to PvP. So balancing levels during PvP should be included.

Not so nice guy!

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by poefue
    Best PvP to date, imo!

You must be one of those jackasses that just cloak around with a shotgun.

All in all, PvP in Defiance one fat stinky pile of shit...shit so bad even a fly would stay away.

It is completely unbalanced.  If you are not bringing some blue or better shotun or rocket launcher into PvP, don't even bother queing up.  PvP is pay to win all the way, as in, people who buy the in game currency and just buy lockboxes will tend to get the best chance of a blue or better shotty.

Once you have your shotgun, get cloak and run around one or two shotting people.  If you get a rocket launcher just bunny hop around and spam rockets.  Players bunny hop so damn high and any of the fast firing weapons have so much weapon bloom that you will wastes clips of ammo trying to kill one guy...providing he is not looking at you.  If he is, he will just aim his shotgun or launcher in your general area and wipe the floor with you.

If you try to do PvP before you get one of the aboive mention weapons OR if you want to use one of the other many gun types in the game, you will get beat down so hard you will feel it for a year.

PvP essentially locks you out of the numerous weapon choices.

Which is shitty, cause the rest of the game is good.  Just PvP is horrible.