Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some "Announcement" coming up on Monday

Comments

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Entitlement issues, seriously? What, are they the [mod edit]% not buying cartel packs?

Then what else is it? space flight belong in SWTOR only because SWG had it? so somehow Bioware owes it to you? i am sure i am not the only who is  alittle tired of pointless SWG comparison in every topic.

I'm tired of SWG and SWTOR comparisons too. Why can't you wrap the idea that people expect space flight in a STAR WARS game without dropping "Entitlement" bombs? (Which apparently can't be responded to without a mod edit.)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Entitlement issues, seriously? What, are they the [mod edit]% not buying cartel packs?

Then what else is it? space flight belong in SWTOR only because SWG had it? so somehow Bioware owes it to you? i am sure i am not the only who is  alittle tired of pointless SWG comparison in every topic.

I'm tired of SWG and SWTOR comparisons too. Why can't you wrap the idea that people expect space flight in a STAR WARS game without dropping "Entitlement" bombs? (Which apparently can't be responded to without a mod edit.)

I just say it the way i read it bro. I expect space flight in SWTOR too but there is difference between expectations and making it sound as if Biowares owe it to us.

And if you are really tired of SWG comparisons ..don't support those who bring it in every single discussion about SWTOR.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

You just don´t get it.

2003 Star Wars MMORPG (SWG) vs. 2012 Star Wars MMORPG (SWTOR) is a valid discussion.

Check this little video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC8LacnQ1bc

SWTOR misses basic game mechanics from an almost ten year older Star Wars MMO and replaced game mechanics with voiceovers. Yet they didn´t manage to make the gameworld feel alive. Tons of non voiced character clones standing around in silence waving their hands.

also, if they had such an enormous voiceovers budget, why are there no dynamic NPCs talking in the gameworld, outside of cutscenes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdZn5v5sEU

Face it, the game has serious design issues, perhaps they announce a major revamp today, that would be the best thing. For a more dynamic gameworld they just need to look at TSW, GW2 or AOC  and for all the rest they should just rip off everything that SWG had.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

You just don´t get it.

2003 Star Wars MMORPG (SWG) vs. 2012 Star Wars MMORPG (SWTOR) is a valid discussion.

Check this little video

SWTOR misses basic game mechanics from an almost ten year older Star Wars MMO and replaced game mechanics with voiceovers. Yet they didn´t manage to make the gameworld feel alive. Tons of non voiced character clones standing around in silence waving their hands.

also, if they had such an enormous voiceovers budget, why are there no dynamic NPCs talking in the gameworld, outside of cutscenes?

Face it, the game has serious design issues, perhaps they announce a major revamp today, that would be the best thing. For a more dynamic gameworld they just need to look at TSW, GW2 or AOC  and for all the rest they should just rip off everything that SWG had.

I get it all right, it is you who don't get it and don't want to move on past the fact that SWG and SWTOR are two different type of games. Only similarity between them is SW IP. SWTOR was never meant to be and never will be a SWG or even close to that game in terms of game designs as well as features.

SWG was made ground up to be a sandbox where as SWTOR was conceived as a themepark. They day you understand something so basic you willl understand that these SWTOR vs SWG comparisons are like pissing in the wind.

By the way there is nothing dynamic about AOC or TSW. GW2.. yes. I guess you just love to throw the word dynamic around without even understanding what it really means. Both TSW and AOC has a very static world.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

You just don´t get it.

Check this little video

I get it all right, it is you who don't get it and don't want to move on past the fact that SWG and STO are two different type of games. Only similarity between them is SW IP. SWTOR was never meant to be and never will be a SWG or even close to that game in terms of game designs as well as features.

SWG was made ground up to be a sandbox where as SWTOR was conceived as a themepark. They day you understand something so basic you willl understand that these SWTOR vs SWG comparisons are like pissing in the wind.

By the way there is nothing dynamic about AOC or TSW. GW2.. yes. I guess you just loveto throw the word dynamic around without even understanding what it really means. Both TSW and AOC has a very static world.

i think STO would be happy to join hands with the jedi

cryptic will prolly not have enough money to pay for the IP though

but perhaps they could share?

Originally posted by simplius

You just don´t get it.

Check this little video

I get it all right, it is you who don't get it and don't want to move on past the fact that SWG and STO are two different type of games. Only similarity between them is SW IP. SWTOR was never meant to be and never will be a SWG or even close to that game in terms of game designs as well as features.

By the way there is nothing dynamic about AOC or TSW. GW2.. yes. I guess you just loveto throw the word dynamic around without even understanding what it really means. Both TSW and AOC has a very static world.

i think STO would be happy to join hands with the jedi

cryptic will prolly not have enough money to pay for the IP though

but perhaps they could share?

Lol...yeah i mistyped there. Fixed it though;)

However, i think Perfect International can easily afford a SW game along with their STO title. And who knows they might even do a better job at it.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Also it belongs into SWTOR because SWG "set the bar" 

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing how every new game goes out of it's way to avoid any similiarities to  the game that "set the bar."  

Too funny. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Won't just be at DarthHater! Check back here in about 40 minutes. ;)
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by GreenHell

nah, Darth Hater wouldn't write "spectacular" for something as small as this.

Things which are definitely not spectacular: a stupid catface race in the cartel market, server merges or release dates.

So let's hopefully see some really "spectacular" announcement... I'm personally hoping for a NGE type thing, or Final Fantasy XIV type complete revamp

I never thought I would see anyone wanting that for any game. I guess ToR must be in pretty rough shape if you want it to get NGE'd. You know Smed would be smiling if he ever read that.

I think NGE has become a synonyme for fundamentally changing one or more game mechanics.

In case of SWG it was a WoWification NGE, Maybe SWTOR could need a de-WoWification NGE.

NGE is synonymous for Fucking up a game.

If SWTOR was NGE'd it would become the worlds biggest steaming pile of...

Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by GreenHell

nah, Darth Hater wouldn't write "spectacular" for something as small as this.

Things which are definitely not spectacular: a stupid catface race in the cartel market, server merges or release dates.

So let's hopefully see some really "spectacular" announcement... I'm personally hoping for a NGE type thing, or Final Fantasy XIV type complete revamp

I never thought I would see anyone wanting that for any game. I guess ToR must be in pretty rough shape if you want it to get NGE'd. You know Smed would be smiling if he ever read that.

I think NGE has become a synonyme for fundamentally changing one or more game mechanics.

In case of SWG it was a WoWification NGE, Maybe SWTOR could need a de-WoWification NGE.

NGE is synonymous for Fucking up a game.

If SWTOR was NGE'd it would become the worlds biggest steaming pile of...

No kidding.I'm sure there's a dev saying "let's just dump our current players and the millions spent  on the current direction of the game and go for a completely new playerbase that has already tried our game and doesn't like it. It worked SO WELL the last time it was tried. "  /rolleyes. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ktanner3

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing how every new game goes out of it's way to avoid any similiarities to  the game that "set the bar."  

Too funny. 

SWTOR didn't really go out of it's way to avoid any similarities to WoW...

If freeroam flight goes in, nobody will be forcing you to do it - you can still do SWTOR / WoW raids, dungeons, battlegrounds and dailies .. and feel Star Wars'y all the same because they have different names - operations, flashpoints, warzones ..

better?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by simplius
     I'm personally hoping for a NGE type thing

Don't hold your breath on that one. I doubt any developer is stupid enough to repeat that mistake. 

except blizzard have been doing that to wow from day one

simplifying the game , and making it enjoyable to more players

do you know how it turned out for them?

WOW didn't dump the entire core game and change it into something else..Making the game easier is nothing like changing a sandpark game into a themepark game.  That's not little changes, that's an entire makeover. BIG difference. 

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Karteli

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. 

If freeroam flight goes in, nobody will be forcing you to do it - you can still do SWTOR / WoW raids, dungeons, battlegrounds and dailies .. and feel Star Wars'y all the same because they have different names - operations, flashpoints, warzones ..

better?

The protests against adding more expansive content to this game smell of cognitive dissonance. Of course they won't really mind if there is something like free roam spaceflight, or an explorable world with dynamic events. They would play it and probably privately enjoy the addition to the game.

The problem is that such content would be in violation of the status quo, which they have argued for as the only defence of the overall poor gameplay experience in SWTOR. The defenders have argued for more of the same, to the exclusion of something that may be adaptive and possibly even innovative.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. 

Except for the combat,animations, space, crafting system, economy, companion system, legacy system,dialog choices and cutscenes.  But yeah I guess if you consider all themepark games WOW clones....But we can agree that this game nor any other game has tried to copy SWG, the game that supposedly "set the bar"

Actually I rarely do flashpoints or ops and still manage to find plenty to do.  If they put in a different space system then more power to them. I don't care. Where was I saying that I was against it? 

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. 

Except for the combat,animations, space, crafting system, economy, companion system, legacy system,dialog choices and cutscenes.  But yeah I guess if you consider all themepark games WOW clones....But we can agree that this game nor any other game has tried to copy SWG, the game that supposedly "set the bar"

Actually I rarely do flashpoints or ops and still manage to find plenty to do.  If they put in a different space system then more power to them. I don't care. Where was I saying that I was against it? 

What do you do then? Rinse and repeat dailies in between standing around on the fleet, people watching? Sounds like an extremely casual play regimen.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. 

I didn't say identical, but the similarities stare back at my gaze.  Enough similarities where it is very noticeable.  Sci-fi choreographed combat ist just about the only 100% original thing on your list though, which SWTOR does very well.  The rest of the stuff, been there done that, at least in some similar implementation (many from WoW).

Maybe it was your tone where I inferred your distaste for change.  /shrug

Something completely different from other currently out MMORPG's is what would put this game back on the map.  Not more raids, dungeons, battlegrounds, small "worlds", dailies, reskinned armor, cashshop-only cool stuff ..

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. 

I didn't say identical, but the similarities stare back at my gaze.  Enough similarities where it is very noticeable.  Sci-fi choreographed combat ist just about the only 100% original thing on your list though, which SWTOR does very well.  The rest of the stuff, been there done that, at least in some similar implementation (many from WoW).

Something completely different from other currently out MMORPG's is what would put this game back on the map.

Then I suggest waiting for Archeage, The Repopulation or Darkfall 2 because clearly themeparks aren't for you. TOR is not going to change at its core. It might add some new features, but the base of the game is already set. 

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. 

Something completely different from other currently out MMORPG's is what would put this game back on the map.

He backed away from that because he was painting himself into a corner. Clever Tanner. The argument against change is inherent in the anti-SWG language. One can reasonably infer that if SWG is the more expansive, then argument against emulating it is either in favor of status quo, or less than that. Since less than Status quo makes no sense, the argument is obviously for keeping to the current paradigm.

The current paradigm does not have SWG-like features

Free Roam space is a SWG-like feature

Therefore, for the sake of argument on forum, against free roam space.

A reply of "I don't mind free roam space" prompts: ok how would you feel about multi-person vehicles? Etc. the end result is that any of the features of SWG would be welcome additions to SWTOR and they know it.  

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. 

Then I suggest waiting for Archeage, The Repopulation or Darkfall 2 because clearly themeparks aren't for you. TOR is not going to change at its core. It might add some new features, but the base of the game is already set. 

Naw it can change.  SSSP would be a good start, which is what we were talking about?  Who knows SSSP could redefine questing, exploration, and make crafting / the economy actually meaningful SWTOR concepts ..

Originally posted by Ppiper

SWTOR Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion releases April 9 for early access

I should have known that was going to be it. Just got half a level to go with my Jedi and then he can join my Bounty Hunter,Sith Warrior and Sith Assasin on Makeb :)

Lame news.

From DH:

Also, that's only half of the good news; be sure to check back starting tomorrow for full coverage of the expansion!  This includes quest and achievement guides, videos, and more!  It will be updated over time, and hopefully I'll have it all finished by the time the expansion goes live.  If you have anything in particular that you'd like me to take a look at, leave a suggestion in the comments below.

Pfft.  more ops, flashpoints, and warzones .. dailies .. and achievements.  Please sir, may I have some more WoW?

What a letdown.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Whoopdy damn do.  Next they're going to start hyping every time a dev takes a piss.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Great game management/marketing strategy: "The stats quo isn't working... that means we just haven't done enough of it! Iceberg? I don't see no stinking iceberg! Full speed ahead!" /WhoCares

Well the news is out and its!! just so much more of the lame old same old... its a DLC expansion hyped to the gills.

No thanks i should have known better.

Lame news.

From DH:

Also, that's only half of the good news; be sure to check back starting tomorrow for full coverage of the expansion!  This includes quest and achievement guides, videos, and more!  It will be updated over time, and hopefully I'll have it all finished by the time the expansion goes live.  If you have anything in particular that you'd like me to take a look at, leave a suggestion in the comments below.

Pfft.  more ops, flashpoints, and warzones .. dailies .. and achievements.  Please sir, may I have some more WoW?

What a letdown.

Well I hope at least someone was able to let DH know how lame that hype train was, just in case he doesn't have a clue