Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is one of the reasons why I love this game. The BEST movement ever in an MMORPG

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

After experiencing free form movement, you may no be able to play you other game anymore. Dodge? Don't make me laugh.

Massively.com 

Feature Video and Link

"Flying skills are treated like normal skills in the sense that players must locate skill tomes to unlock new abilities, but once unlocked these skills are only limited by the character's Stamina. As long as your character has Stamina you can feel free to run straight up walls, jump off with a series of spinning backflips, and then land from a great height without so much as a bruise. If you do run out, though... well, gravity responds poorly to mockery. Check out the video just past the cut to see what it looks like to spit in the face of downward velocity."

What the video can't convey is the raw speed of the game. It's blazing fast. Everything you see (and more, like continuous flight) can be used in combat. Triple jump, dash, chop someones head off. Heck attack while mid dash. 

We have not seen 3D combat like this in a mmorpg ever. Plus the music is so damn smooth. 

While you are here check out the 30 pages of reviews on Steam

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67

Here is another MMO (Blade & Soul) with cool jumping and gliding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgoJX81skuQ

It also does the running on water thing too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuaXBTgkYBI

And lastly, here is a skilled player playing an Assassin in PvP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLKANCgUWQ

Edit: I mostly posted the links above because of your following two statements quoted below:
    "What the video can't convey is the raw speed of the game. It's blazing fast"
    "We have not seen 3D combat like this in a mmorpg ever"

Well it's not unique, and it clearly isn't that fast by comparison.

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114
    I really can't see any of the upcomming MMOs pulling me away from AoW. I have been playing since cb1 and just enjoy it more each day. 
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Am I the only one that felt combat and movement in AoW was extremely clunky? Is it a level / skill issue perhaps? That was one of my chief issues with the game actually. =/

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Redemp

Am I the only one that felt combat and movement in AoW was extremely clunky? Is it a level / skill issue perhaps? That was one of my chief issues with the game actually. =/

felt the same... could of been server issues or whatnot can't tell for sure but surely did not feel smooth. Ill check it out again at launch

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

That's cool in all, but from watching that video I think DCUO does pretty much the same thing but better.   Plus DCUO's isn't limited by stamina or some other type of stat.  Still, it's good to see AoW is taking good ideas from other games to incorporate  into theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2hMmoWRoo8

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Yeah, that was my main issue as well.

Originally posted by rodingo

That's cool in all, but from watching that video I think DCUO does pretty much the same thing but better.   Plus DCUO's isn't limited by stamina or some other type of stat.  Still, it's good to see AoW is taking good ideas from other games to incorporate  into theirs.

some more gliding fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgoJX81skuQ

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by mrBurns210
    I really can't see any of the upcomming MMOs pulling me away from AoW. I have been playing since cb1 and just enjoy it more each day. 

unfortunately same goes for me and my friends, bad year / if they would at least release JX3 in english:/

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    This game has the clunkiest combat. It's the reason I quit. Learned my lesson on donating to shady companys at least.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by NC360

Here is another MMO (Blade & Soul) with cool jumping and gliding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgoJX81skuQ

It also does the running on water thing too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuaXBTgkYBI

And lastly, here is a skilled player playing an Assassin in PvP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLKANCgUWQ

Edit: I mostly posted the links above because of your following two statements quoted below:
    "What the video can't convey is the raw speed of the game. It's blazing fast"
    "We have not seen 3D combat like this in a mmorpg ever"

Well it's not unique, and it clearly isn't that fast by comparison.

I thought those videos were cool when I first saw them too. 

Look at the last one you posted. The water may as wel be land. You can't use the jumping you see in the first video in the third. The first is just like Aion Gliding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FW1scHmANSI

I keep coming back to this video. If you watch you will see how there is no "out of combat movement, in combat movent." It's all the same. 

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by rodingo

some more gliding fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgoJX81skuQ

Yeah, samething Aero. This is some out of combat, hit a jump box, glide stuff. It's just not the same. 

Everything you see in the massivley video is used in combat just the same as out. There are no limitations other than you flight energy.

Come on guys it's 2013. We can do better than this lol.  You guys still mad at me for all the stuff I said about GW2?

• GandoresGandores Member UncommonPosts: 55

Although the combat feel a bit clunky at first, once you get used to styles it gets lot better.It is a bit laggy sometimes (it can be fixed) and its probably what i would call stiff.

Usually in your typical MMO, melee attacks are executed instantly. Not so in age of wushu.  When you perform an action, you cannot  move during the animation (a bit like fighting games), with a few exceptions like some rage moves and the ranged style.

Some abilities are 'cast'  faster, some are slower, some get executed faster when you are mid-air, some are so fast theyre near-instant.

Its all about knowing the 'cast time' of each of your abilities and knowing which moves combos well into other. Add to that the parry/attack/feint system, and you've got a very dynamic combat system where timing and anticipation are key.

It feels clunky at first, but when you learn to put one foot in front of the other, it gets real good.

p.s.  I know its subjective, but i played WoW, TOR, UO, Fallen Earth (that one is clunky), EVE and by far, my fav combat system is age of wushu.  And it seems to have been designed for pvp from the ground up, which is a plus imo. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The double/triple jump thing doesn't impress me much, reminds me of Perfect World or something, but damned if running up the walls isn't cool as hell lol

Definitely a new one for me as far as MMOs go.

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Eir_S

The double/triple jump thing doesn't impress me much, reminds me of Perfect World or something, but damned if running up the walls isn't cool as hell lol

Definitely a new one for me as far as MMOs go.

This isn't just about triple jumps but there's a hint to do infinites triple jump (as long as you have flying energy of course) witch allready "unlock" an other level of flying gameplay.

And then it's mainly about air and groud dashs witch are indeed great duel moves.

And yeah wall (vertical and horizontal) running and water flying skills are really enjoyable !

Originally posted by Gandores

Although the combat feel a bit clunky at first, once you get used to styles it gets lot better.It is a bit laggy sometimes (it can be fixed) and its probably what i would call stiff.

It feels clunky at first, but when you learn to put one foot in front of the other, it gets real good.

Had the same feeling at 1st. And now I can't see any better tab target pvp gameplay out there.

I think this feelings comes from the short GCD and also that if you hit a skill key 0,00001 sec before the GCD is up : the skill wont imput. It's a pretty cut gameplay with a huuuuuuuuuge learning curve when it comes to duels.

This gameplay is a really nice mix of old school tab-targetting with a bit of of an arcadish toutch : "skilled" players will shine.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

Can I still get into the beta?  Is it ongoing or a weekend thing?  Still not sure how compelling the Chinese culture style will be to me personally in the long run, but I'm a sucker for good gameplay.
  • AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

@Gandores try kick oponent with mawashi geri and walk at same time...

lol most people who whine over combat in AoW are these who stopped at tutorial or got pked in open world

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    One of the biggest problems with Age of Wushu is that the combat is clunky...when you first start playing.  Once you get a repitoir of flying skills and flesh out your martial arts styles the combat becomes one of the best systems I have ever seen in an mmorpg.  No where else has the environment you fight in ever mattered so much.  Fights can be running battles through cities as players run up walls and jump from roof top to roof top.  I can understand that not everyone will be into this game but combat is not a weakness here.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

One of the biggest problems with Age of Wushu is that the combat is clunky...when you first start playing.  Once you get a repitoir of flying skills and flesh out your martial arts styles the combat becomes one of the best systems I have ever seen in an mmorpg.  No where else has the environment you fight in ever mattered so much.  Fights can be running battles through cities as players run up walls and jump from roof top to roof top.  I can understand that not everyone will be into this game but combat is not a weakness here.

that is true it does change a lot once you get more movement.. My issue I think was more server lag issues more than anything.. I will be giving the game another try after launch

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by bcbully

Come on guys it's 2013. We can do better than this lol.  You guys still mad at me for all the stuff I said about GW2?

Hmm? Why does everyone always assume I'm trolling or hating on something? =(

It was a serious question and critique ; it felt clunky ... I'm willing to admit it might have been a level / skill issue or perhaps a beta issue though.

No he's right, I'm playing it now and I'm not impressed with the combat so far at all.  Is it a level thing?  Can you dodge later?

Not that it's related, but holy gold spam, Batman.  Someone posted an actual message and it was flooded out of the chat window in 1.5 seconds.  Reminds me of Cabal Online.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

It was a serious question and critique ; it felt clunky ... I'm willing to admit it might have been a level / skill issue or perhaps a beta issue though.

It is clunky, that was my main complaint against the game as well and why I uninstalled it. No idea why bc thinks you're trolling because this has been a pretty common complaint with the game. 

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

It is clunky, that was my main complaint against the game as well and why I uninstalled it. No idea why bc thinks you're trolling because this has been a pretty common complaint with the game. 

It's a pretty common compalint UNTIL you reach a point where you are seemlessly integrating flying skills into your combat.

Basically, it's a complaint used by people primarily looking to complain about something without putting any effort to actually understand the game.

So I think bcbully is correct to throw it back at you guys.  I don't see how it feels clunky at all.  Especially compared to your usual spam/wait hotkeys that are so  boring and overused.  In fact, the game has a z-axis that's actually used.  Thank god for that.  I've been so frustrated by games that tout action, but have no real use for height in the game at all.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by DMKano
    IMO CoH/CoX are unmatched as far as player movement.

True!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    To each its own I guess. I am not much of a fan of this jumping and hopping around like a fairy. I prefer traditional western style fantasy with hulking warriors in plate armor and fireball throwing wizards.