Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: World vs. World's Time to Shine

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Tomorrow's big March Guild Wars 2 update has a lot of big changes coming to the game. But none are so anticipated as the massive sweeping additions to the World vs. World PVP experience. We caught up with ArenaNet's designers to get the skinny on all the new content.

An “End of Culling Party” can happen come 3/26, as Habib noted during our interview.  He really wouldn’t mind seeing people toasting its death either, as the notorious process which keeps anything more than a few players from being visible on the screen at once in large battles has finally met its demise. 

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: World vs. World's Time to Shine for more info on the new progression system, rewards, titles, and culling's death knell.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

These monthly updates keep getting better and better in my opinion.  I'm not even sure if they missed a single one yet; this has been the best value for my money in a very long time.

Hopefully we will see Guild Halls and especially Player Housing before long as that's been put off enough in my opinion.   :)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

These monthly updates keep getting better and better in my opinion.  I'm not even sure if they missed a single one yet; this has been the best value for my money in a very long time.

Yep.  Despite if folks love each update or not (based on their judgement of new content offered, or how quickly it is being offered), I can count on a general improvement every month towards the game.  Removal of culling is one massive step forward!

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    It will be so hard to enter WvW. Everyone will be testing culling after the patch./ I can;t wauit to see a really big battle in 2 days. Sure my pc won't be able to render anything in high ress but I don;t really care. i will put all models on low ress and it will still be a much better experiance than it is now.

Besides that.. 300 players on screen. That's a lot o_O

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    I think this game had its time. It is too little too late. People might come back and check it out as it is B2P, but it isn't enough to hold them. The crowd has come and gone and there are too many new games on the horizon that are promising. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Yeah, the crowd has come and gone.

That is why they are making some world events less desirable to lower the number of people doing them...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    I think this game had its time. It is too little too late. People might come back and check it out as it is B2P, but it isn't enough to hold them. The crowd has come and gone and there are too many new games on the horizon that are promising.  I wounder where do this people get this kind of information oooh and one more thing MOVE ON the that you hate is devoloping
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    If the crowds have gone then why would culling be an issue in the first place?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    This looks like it's going to be awesome!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

ranks are cool, when its not just a kill/cap counter. Systems similar to swtor's just get flat out get boring. 

edit-  They way this seems is "just play, and you will get ranks!" It's a valor counter :( 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Hopefully we will see Guild Halls and especially Player Housing before long as that's been put off enough in my opinion.   :)

While im stoked emensly for culling to be removed, how on earth can anyone describe this as a content update???

At most, this is a fix.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I think this game had its time. It is too little too late. People might come back and check it out as it is B2P, but it isn't enough to hold them. The crowd has come and gone and there are too many new games on the horizon that are promising. 

There are still a lot of people playing, thousands in fact.

If you don't like the game it's understandable. Many folks who dislike it are those that are hardcore raiders and felt let down they couldn't get involved. The title was developed and released as a casual game. I for one, and many who still play, have been looking for this and with the addition of no monthly fee, it has been widely accepted. I can easily stop for a couple weeks and get right back in where I left off.

There is no time requirements. In other titles, meeting my guild to run a raid felt more like a work schedule than a time to enjoy gaming. 

The devs continues to put out great updates and will be around for a long time. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by doodphace

While im stoked emensly for culling to be removed, how on earth can anyone describe this as a content update???

At most, this is a fix.

The culling fix is only part of the grander patch.  But it's definitely important enough to report on.  

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't like this logic all.  Even games I used to feel were lacking (TERA, Rift) have added things to widen their appeal to the gaming community, and GW2 is only getting better.  The fact remains that many people have been returning.  Will they stay?  Maybe, maybe not, but population is not a problem from what I've seen on several servers.

The game's been out a little over 6 months, and I see just as many or more people playing when I run around the maps.  The important thing to remember is that MMO's are, despite what people want, never truly finished at launch or even years after, because they're more of an evolution than a set product.

I agree that there are promising games on the horizon, but come on, the crowd is still there.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

At most, this is a fix.

The culling fix is only part of the grander patch.  But it's definitely important enough to report on.  

No doubt its important enough to report on, and im extreemly excited to see it, its just not "content".

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

At most, this is a fix.

They added a valor counter eer ranking system...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Leethe
    If the crowds have gone then why would culling be an issue in the first place?

Don't point out the obvious, it ruins trolling at it's foundation.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by bcbully

At most, this is a fix.

I know, im refering to the multiple folks implying the removel of culling is "content".

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Dat mace and shield.

This is not a game.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Wait, how is adding a ranking system, items to be bought with badges, and entire skill sets NOT a content update?

Bet these are the same people that said SWTORs UI patch was a big update to the game...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

At most, this is a fix.

I know, im refering to the multiple folks implying the removel of culling is "content".

I guess when you have nothing to contribute to the discussion you can always complain about semantics. 

At most, this is a fix.

Did you read the article? Removing culling is part of the patch, not the additonal content. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Wait, how is adding a ranking system, items to be bought with badges, and entire skill sets NOT a content update?

SHHH!  GW2 is dead!  Do not disturb its constantly updating corpse.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I am over the moon with excitement! These badge changes look awesome too! Keep it up ArenaNet. Still can't believe there is no longer gonna be culling in WvW :) 
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

I'm looking forward to the WvW rank system. IMO GW2 only weakness is its lackluster PvP. By that I mean GW1 had such AWESOME PvP that GW2 just can't seem to compete witth.

That being said though I will definitely continue to play for the forseeable future.

Originally posted by jtcgs

Bet these are the same people that said SWTORs UI patch was a big update to the game...

Wait, I said removing culling was not content, but you feel the need to list everything thats not culling?

I see what you did there...