Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Analyzing Blizzard’s Hearthstone

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard's big announcement at this year's PAX East convention was Hearthstone, a new collectible trading card game based on the Warcraft universe. We managed to get a look at Hearthstone and have a full analysis of what we saw. Check it out before heading to the comments to discuss.

Coming to PAX to hear that Blizzard was making an announcement really was a big deal. For weeks we went back and forth about what it was. Blizzard All-Stars was our first guess. Then came the idea of a Diablo expansion. At last we sat down to see Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft a collectible card game for the PC, Mac, and soon after the iPad. I know it does not really fit into the MMO genre, but Hearthstone is a good step for Blizzard in a business sense, and it was certainly unexpected by those in attendance.  If nothing else, it shows that the core of Blizzard's team are true gamers, that they love all sorts of gaming experiences.  The WoW card game has been a money-maker for years now, and this seems poised to go even further when it hits the iPad.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Analyzing Blizzard's Hearthstone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I have very much warmed to the game now, the turning point was when I watch the game they played and one of the players played a card called "the beast" and when the opponent defeated that card a card appear in his deck called "finkle eihorn" with a little voice sample "I've been inside there for months"  ( http://youtu.be/5GSXh6ThLQw?t=4m44s ), such a good throw back to vanillia WoW that I was hooked and want to play just to see what else there could be.
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I can say I saw that a mile away, Everquest did it with Legends of Norrath...was just a matter of time before Blizzard did it.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I've always been intrigued with these types of games. If blizzards claims are true that it's for anyone and everyone then I may just have to give this a go. I hope it has a strong tie in with WoW itself in that there is a chance to get in-game card drops from mobs/dungeons/raids/pet battles etc.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I just hope this quells the fires Blizzard has for the mobile market. I have very little interest in anything coming from Blizzard other than CN: Titan. And hope this is the only visit down this path. On a more positive note I may have to give Reign of Dragons a rest in order to check this out.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    I am very very much looking forward to this game. I loved games like Tetra master back when you used ot play it so a themed game based around the WoW universe sounds right up my alley!

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    No thanks, yet a other exsample of game company's trying to sell you vitural junk. these kind of games used to be free indy games back in 2000 or if realy well done they were one time payment games you could do whit friends. todays digital cardgames are all about selling as mutch as possible often by adding a gamble adiction function like ingame loot.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by nomadie
    I can say I saw that a mile away, Everquest did it with Legends of Norrath...was just a matter of time before Blizzard did it.

I just hope you can play it from within the game like LoN and that you get five free decks every month like LoN.  Of course, I'm assuming LoN still does that.  I haven't played in years now.

On your other point.....it's amazing how many things Blizz copies from other games, isn't it?

Note: I'm referring to Everquest 2 not Everquest, when I speak of LoN or Legends of Norrath.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Eladi
    No thanks, yet a other exsample of game company's trying to sell you vitural junk. these kind of games used to be free indy games back in 2000 or if realy well done they were one time payment games you could do whit friends. todays digital cardgames are all about selling as mutch as possible often by adding a gamble adiction function like ingame loot.

Please note:  Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is a free to play game whereby you are able to earn more cards simply by playing (or crafting).  Other than that, games are not free to make, and if you're of the mind that everything should be free for you because of something in the past, then you likely won't enjoy how most of the world works.

I'm skeptical as a whole of a card game, but I'm definitely glad it's a choice for those who enjoy them.  Might check it out myself at some point when it's released.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by just1opinion

I just hope you can play it from within the game like LoN and that you get five free decks every month like LoN.  Of course, I'm assuming LoN still does that.  I haven't played in years now.

On your other point.....it's amazing how many things Blizz copies from other games, isn't it?

Note: I'm referring to Everquest 2 not Everquest, when I speak of LoN or Legends of Norrath.

LoN was for EQ and EQ2, and actually a standalone client.  And yes, subscribers to either game still get 5 free packs a month.

Pretty sure LoN copied the WoW TCG first, but SoE made it digital (improved upon what WoW did).  the whole point of both was to get people to spend money for in game loot.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

LoN was for EQ and EQ2, and actually a standalone client.  And yes, subscribers to either game still get 5 free packs a month.

Pretty sure LoN copied the WoW TCG first, but SoE made it digital (improved upon what WoW did).  the whole point of both was to get people to spend money for in game loot.

You could play it as a standalone game OR from within EQ2's interface while staying IN game.....but yeah. :)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

You could play it as a standalone game OR from within EQ2's interface while staying IN game.....but yeah. :)

Yeah, I played LoN a bit in EQ when i had some time to kill before a raid.  Got a kirin mount from a free pack too, loved my goat.  the other EQ mounts at the time fromn LoN looked like long turds.  this was a time when EQ mounts were not that diversified (mostly horses and Drogmors) so they really stood out

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    I was very happy to hear this game announced. My absolutely favorite game is Magic:TG. That Hearthstone is FTP, with cards earned and crafted in game ( or cheaply purchased, I saw a $1 pack price somewhere), makes me even more excited for this game.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Looks like a Magic: the Gathering clone. Still, will be fun to try it out once released.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    dueling network > this out of the park ~.~ just sayin

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    This actually looks like fun to me and I never have really gotten into the card realm of MMOs.

Smile

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Well while it's true that it isn't anything I wanted, it's nice to see some diversity from Blizzard... as it were (they never really invented a single system they use in their games, just tweak someone else's, including CCG's).
  • tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

The sooner Blizzard crashes and burns, the sooner we can get back to having some real MMORPG's.

Thanks for ruining the entire genre of games, and the entire community. Burn in hell BLizzard.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by taurak

The sooner Blizzard crashes and burns, the sooner we can get back to having some real MMORPG's.

Thanks for ruining the entire genre of games, and the entire community. Burn in hell BLizzard.

Hahah, you seem extremely bitter?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

BIG news? a card game....rly? (talking about a niche market hehe)

They better hit us with info about "titan" or something because i aint impressed with a card game for my tablet tbh.

imo another greedy stunt.....selling you card at (only) 1$ per 3 cards (just guessing here) and you'll want them all right.....maybe they put a total of about 600 cards in it ? that's 200$ thank u for a card game if you want the whole game....hehe.

Enjoy, i'll pass thank u blizz.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by oubers

BIG news? a card game....rly? (talking about a niche market hehe)

They better hit us with info about "titan" or something because i aint impressed with a card game for my tablet tbh.

imo another greedy stunt.....selling you card at (only) 1$ per 3 cards (just guessing here) and you'll want them all right.....maybe they put a total of about 600 cards in it ? that's 200$ thank u for a card game if you want the whole game....hehe.

Enjoy, i'll pass thank u blizz.

About one dollar for a pack of five but you can earn them free just by playing. You can also craft new cards from some of the ones you don't want. Three hundred cards at release. The free starter deck is about one hundred cards and a game deck is made up of thirty.Your game deck can have two of any card(s). So no it's won't cost $200, or anything, to play.

i hope you are right on this one and the game is (almost) totaly free 2 play for you and people who enjoy these card games.

Like i sayd i was just guessing, but the same thing could be sayd about D3.....you dont have to use the AH if you are willing to grind for 4 hours a day and waiting weeks or even months until the item drops you can can advance with in the game.

Just saying that imho it seems like they are giving you a game but that's just not the way blizzard works anymore.....they want the money and nothing else for as little effort as possible, but again that is just mho.

Hope it IS free and it wont cost the fans of card games a dime but blizz isnt realy known for giving free stuff in the last years. (20$ mounts anyone?)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I guess it's good for those who want warcraft in other mediums besides video games.  I'm not personally interested though.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    The price thing they set is easily playing on the instant gratification buyers.. But just as you can get duplicates from just winning decks you will get duplicates from buying the cards making it more annoying than just playing the thing.. UNLESS blizz numbers the decks so they is no repeat cards in each deck, that's the only way they'll get me to buy decks and maybe if they offer WOW mount card, lol...

Looking forward to it, as I always wished they made a Magic Gathering or Yugioh for tablets and smartphones..
  • HrvatinaHrvatina Member Posts: 13
    Never played a game like this (card based). But Blizzard knows how to make a polished game, so I signed up for the beta. I have a feeling games like this can be a LOT more fun than the usual MMO. They certainly look more fun-based, and I like that.
  • Vion1xVion1x Member Posts: 188
    wonder if they are gonna sell it without pvp at release

I would assume (without having read anything) that the game cost money, then you need to buy the cards, and in the in-game shop you can buy skins for your cards to..... right?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798