Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Things that Defiance does first that no other title has done

Comments

• sancher36sancher36 housePosts: 457Member
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by DMKano

Well again this is your opinion, and I don't share your viewpoint. I think the game is done amazingly well for what it is, and that is my opinion. Is it perfect - not even close, there are things that i still hate after moths of alpha play, like the UI, so yes there is a lot of room for improvement.

I can't speak for the show as I havent seen it but it is syfy, so I know what to expect, sort of a Firefly meets District 9 with guns.

Just goes to show you, some folks will not like it, and that is perfectly fine. Some will and that is fine too. I am just not a fan of making future *fail* predictions, but if it makes you feel better go right ahead.

First, where have I claimed its going to fail? Second, yes, no matter how garbage just about anything is there will be some segment of the population that loves it. That whole IDIC thing afterall. Third, I honestly must ask what platform do you play the game on? If pc, do you play it with a controller? What platform do you play other shooters on? Have you actually bought into the meaningless marketing term "pixel perfect shooter"?

I ask these things because there are a number of glaring issues you seem to be glossing over. Weapon balance for example. Right now its very much go lmg or go home. Shotguns do not pack the burst to make up for their recoil and reload time. Similarly to rockets. It true Trion style they overnerfed after that first stress test weekend when everyone complained. Pistols are in an ok place, they make a solid secondary, though honestly I feel the bmg with thier added utility effects is better. The infector is an awesome gimick weapon, and is fun as hell to use, but you would have to be stupid to. The low upfront and poor splash damage just does not make it a worthwhile weapon. And don't get me started on sniper rifles. For a weapon so op in pvp, its really mediocre in most pve scenarios.

As far as graphics go it feels much like Dark Souls, or Skyrim, perfectly acceptable for console, but very unacceptable for a pc. You couple that with poor options, and extremely poor character customization and one very much wonders where they get off spouting that "pixel perfect shooter" tagline. The extremely poor AA during cutscenes especially turned me off. Speaking of which, the "untrained" guy who just had software plugged into his head and has not even been given the basics in how to use it being worth several squads of marines all on his own kinda sticks in my craw too. You talk of Firefly, well atleast Captain Reynolds survived a war to account for his skills.

Atleast you agree that the UI is poor and obviously build for console. Whats said is even though it would not help menu's much, atleast they could have taken a page from Rift and allowed you to move your interface around as you please. Afterall its built on the same Gambryo baseline. It sufferes from the same hitches and same flickering terrain.

So what plusses does the game really have? Its got the loot grind going for it. Its kinda similar to Diablo in that way. It has a as yet unseen show companent that sounds cool but we do not know if it works or not, or how in depth its actually going to be. It has a fairly gated level up system that is "shallow" per level with a stupid amount of levels. Though I really hate how useless many of the early perks are. "Recharge your self revive when you revive someone" is pretty crappy, but still required early on to head for the solid perks, like the 10% health/damage that take what feels like forever to get in the center of the grid.

So, like I have said pretty often. Is the game "bad", no. If it good? Not by a longshot. It feels very much like a poor console port, and really like nothing that stands out in the crowd. I actually bet that the game will be fairly successful based entirely on the console crowd, as its aimed at them and by current gen standards, is a solid console game. Its lacking as a current gen pc title though.

Oh you cannot compare diablo 3 with defiance in loot drops lol

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Phoenix, AZPosts: 2,690Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Number 4 was done by Final Fantasy 11.

Phantasy Star too.

Phantasy star online is not an MMO.

PSO may not have been, Phantasy Star Universe was.

• oubersoubers bazelPosts: 876Member Common
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Any of you smart ones here ever take a step back and look at the responses to a generally positive post?  

Do you also get the feeling that the vast majority of the gamers that post throughout these forums had someone poop in their cereal?  I mean, take a look at the negative responses.  90% of these replies are focused solely on how they can discredit anything and everything that the OP says.

Take a look.  How many people have responded in an agreeing nature?  Are all of you so jaded and discontent with your own lives that you must try and prove everyone wrong about everything?

It's freakin' hilarious.  It's not even this post.  It's nearly every post.  

This happens with every MMO, welcome to the hell of GW2 and SWTOR fans.  Besides, my response wasn't really negative, I would really like to know if it's worth $60... then again, I guess no one can tell me that but me.  I figure it'll be a big hit in the upcoming Steam Summer sale, regardless.

I didn't try to discredit what OP says, none of those things are very important to me, that's all.

Oh, it happens to every mmo (it is true) ....<sarcasm>....that makes it ok then </sarcasm>

• PainlezzPainlezz Laguna Hills, CAPosts: 616Member Uncommon

Game is/was boring.  Usually I find myself at least enjoying a new world or story but here I found no reason to continue.

1) Character development is terrible.  You have nothing to look forward to.  The skill/talents/perks you unlock are just minor boosts and don't actually provide much reason to continue playing.

2) Equipment/weapon upgrades are just higher numbers.  A tiny bit of diversity happens later on but nothing exciting.

3) TV Show and game will not affect eachother.  Games in general are nothing but a massive troll fest.  If actions in the game would impact the TV show we all know some large group/clan/guild would organize a troll attack to screw the outcome up so much...

4) Rushed release schedule is never EVER a good thing.  Just think about how many other titles out there that DIDN'T have to meet a deadline like this and were released far too early!

5)  Most Important Factor -> Game isn't fun...  Pretend there wasn't a TV show.  This game by itself is just bad.  The idea that you'll be watching a TV show and playin the game side by side MIGHT give some people enough reason to play but I doubt it will last long.

• SysFailSysFail LondonPosts: 375Member
    If the shows half decent, it will be fun to hop in the game after to blow shit up and $40(amazon UK) for a hard copy, i'm sure i'll get my moneys worth.
  • r3dl4ncer3dl4nce ...Posts: 114Member

Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    The first MMO i uninstalled after 10 min of game play.
    And so your argument is invalid. Try to exit from tutorial next time.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Yeah... but is it fun?  Is it worth 60 bucks?
    IMHO, yes. And you can buy from sites like g2play of greenmangaming with good discounts (I pay € 37 my preorder)

Originally posted by Painlezz
    Game is/was boring.  
    Game is a shooter (with a nice storyline to follow and a good sci-fi setting). If you get bored by shooting at things, well, the game is not for you. It's not a usual MMORPG. If you are searching for the standard wow-clone MMORPG, you won't find that in Defiance

1) Character development is terrible.  You have nothing to look forward to.  The skill/talents/perks you unlock are just minor boosts and don't actually provide much reason to continue playing.
    2) Equipment/weapon upgrades are just higher numbers.  A tiny bit of diversity happens later on but nothing exciting.
    It's a shooter, I can have a newly created EGO level 1 character, equip a sniper rifle and on kill headshot people with EGO level 4000. Progression is different from MMORPGs.

5)  Most Important Factor -> Game isn't fun...  
    That your opinion. Mine is very different. For me having to gear grind in MMORPG is not fun. Staying rooted in place pressing tab-1-2-3 is not fun. Having a "false" action combat just like Neverwinter online or GW2 is not fun.

Defiance is a shooter, if can have fun if you are interested in a shooter, but you clearly are not.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Millersburg, INPosts: 803Member Uncommon

Everyone is missing the point that the TV show is being made by SyFy. So we all know its going to be canned after the first or second season. Regardless if it does good or bad. The only way something keeps going on SyFy is if its a Ghost related show or a reality show.

Whats going to happen to the game once its TV counter part is canceled. The game itself does not have much room to stand on its on. Its so generic that just about every other fps does it way better then it. There is virtually no RPG elements to the game, ect.

• SagornSagorn Orlando, FLPosts: 18Member
    Originally posted by Volgore

Unfortunately none of these points have an actual impact on the gameplay or will help the game as it is now.

1 3 will eventually turn out negative for the game's further development, 2 already did turn out negative.

I can think of 10 more things Trion could have done first that would actually make a difference in the game's overall quality. But then we know Trion and their habit of never doing anything that hasn't been done before. Ok, thats a bit harsh...but you get my point...

I agree. I purchased the game based on the premise that I hope the final release is better than the beta, or that it will get better over time. Either way, I'll probably get my 60 - 80 bucks worth out of it.

As you said, all the neat stuff that the OP claims are "firsts" don't make the game itself better, and as you mentioned, some of them might actually hurt it. I was disappointed to not see many things that I would expect in any "MMO" (regardless of the fact is is a shooter) like a bank, some sort of auction house, etc.. The game basically boils down to a major grindfest with a lackluster EGO system and only 2 pieces of gear to work with.

I am not saying the game isn't/won't be worth the money you pay for it, but if you are expecting <insert your favorite fantasy MMO here> as a shooter, this is not going to be the game for you.

--Sagorn

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

Well again this is your opinion, and I don't share your viewpoint. I think the game is done amazingly well for what it is, and that is my opinion. Is it perfect - not even close, there are things that i still hate after moths of alpha play, like the UI, so yes there is a lot of room for improvement.

I can't speak for the show as I havent seen it but it is syfy, so I know what to expect, sort of a Firefly meets District 9 with guns.

Just goes to show you, some folks will not like it, and that is perfectly fine. Some will and that is fine too. I am just not a fan of making future *fail* predictions, but if it makes you feel better go right ahead.

First, where have I claimed its going to fail? Second, yes, no matter how garbage just about anything is there will be some segment of the population that loves it. That whole IDIC thing afterall. Third, I honestly must ask what platform do you play the game on? If pc, do you play it with a controller? What platform do you play other shooters on? Have you actually bought into the meaningless marketing term "pixel perfect shooter"?

Snip

A lot of your points are valid and I my intention is not to get into a tit-for-tat pissing contest, so if this comes across in this way I have failed to communicate effectively.

Pixel perfect shooter is more than a marketing term, yes it is a stupid phrase, but in Defiances case it is true - tested this extensively in alpha, aiming for the edge pixel on the targets head, - headshot every time. For example fire fall is NOT a pixel perfect shooter, their engine is not designed for 100% validation on every shot fired, so you miss randomly. Test it yourself, to me this matters, to some it doesn't.

I hate the UI, I play the PC and Xbox versions, have put close to 300 hours played on PC alpha. The UI sucks on the PC, if you can believe it, thr ui sucked even worse in early alpha, yeah what is in game today is an updated version /facepalm

The game was actually coded for PC first and than ported to consoles, but doesn't really matter, a lot of folks will call it a bad console port, oh well again it makes no difference when you don't like it you don't like it.

Last thing I want to correct is that Defiance uses gamebryo baseline (or Gamebryo engine in any way) - it doesn't the Defiance engine was written from scratch by Trion, the team has some devs who coded WoW's engine - ex Blizzard devs. Also completely different dev team than Rift, Defiance is Trion San Diego, Rift was done by Trion Redwood city.

Again the game is not for everybody, nor is it perfect, there are a lot of flaws, but it comes down to individual taste, I still like it and find it fun, but I am not going to pretend like there are no flaws.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Maryville, ILPosts: 291Member

I tried beta 3 on the PS3 platform and I did have fun with it. However I'm still debating whether to buy the game or not.

This is a game I would have considered more on buying if it was being released in a different part of the year where other big games were not releasing.

The fact that I keep debating with myself to preorder it or not tells me it's not a good enough game that really grabs me, has me addicted to the gameplay and the story to the game, (not the show) does not engross me at all.

Put it this way I am more eager for the new content for 'Borderlands 2' which some of it releases on April 2nd. I'm also a huge 'Dead Island' fan and the new 'Riptide' releases April 23rd.  These two games outshine 'Defiance' by far so I can't legitimately convince myself to buy 'Defiance'.

• Fros7biteFros7bite Toronto, ONPosts: 32Member
    Nice writeup. It really feels fresh with the combination of third person shooting and the social aspects of an MMO. The only thing it's missing is a bar that my friends and I can enter and get drunk between missions.
  • mraneremranere Essex, MDPosts: 6Member Common

1. First MMO to be tied with a TV show with planned NPCs and events cross over

2. First MMO with a hard launch date

3. First MMO to be launched simultaneously on PC, PS3 and 360

4. First MMO programmed with cross platform play on 3 platforms(Sony and Microsoft killed this feature as they won't allow PS network and Xbox live players play together, nor with PC players), from what the devs said the servers still support x-platform play

1) Yea but - that could also be a bad thing since this is SyFy we are talking about. They tend to cancel shows that are good early and I don't see how they will make that work anyway. It's very rare that the people who play an MMO give a damn about the storyline. What events will cross over to the TV show - gold sellers? Farmers? Will there be someone in each town naked and dancing in the center?

2) Nope, Hellgate London had a Halloween hard launch date - it was an unmitigated disaster. (it's gone FTP under a different company now since Flagship is gone)

3) That just means more time spent on multiple platforms instead of gameplay and features. FF did it but not with the 360.

4) Kinda a given considering point 3, eh? Oh and Eve-Online is tied with another game entirely and they both exist in the same universe on multiple platforms (Eve: PC & MAC- Dust 514: PS3). Two different games - 3 platforms - One Universe. Personally I find that to be more impressive. I can shoot at people in Dust from Eve:Online.

Honestly, none of that matters. It's a substandard MMO with a bad UI, horrible social communication issues (felt like a single player game), terrible VoIP, and, after two days already felt repetative as hell.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 555Member

A lot of your points are valid and I my intention is not to get into a tit-for-tat pissing contest, so if this comes across in this way I have failed to communicate effectively.

Pixel perfect shooter is more than a marketing term, yes it is a stupid phrase, but in Defiances case it is true - tested this extensively in alpha, aiming for the edge pixel on the targets head, - headshot every time. For example fire fall is NOT a pixel perfect shooter, their engine is not designed for 100% validation on every shot fired, so you miss randomly. Test it yourself, to me this matters, to some it doesn't.

Before doing your "testing" did you make sure to turn auto aim off? Play around with it for a couple hours both ways its a massive difference.

I hate the UI, I play the PC and Xbox versions, have put close to 300 hours played on PC alpha. The UI sucks on the PC, if you can believe it, thr ui sucked even worse in early alpha, yeah what is in game today is an updated version /facepalm

The game was actually coded for PC first and than ported to consoles, but doesn't really matter, a lot of folks will call it a bad console port, oh well again it makes no difference when you don't like it you don't like it.

It is not just that the menu's and such are clunky, but that its so easy to fix. I could live with the clunky menu's if we had a decently centralized ui, or could make it decently centralized. Though thats something they will likely sell us later as DLC :)

Last thing I want to correct is that Defiance uses gamebryo baseline (or Gamebryo engine in any way) - it doesn't the Defiance engine was written from scratch by Trion, the team has some devs who coded WoW's engine - ex Blizzard devs. Also completely different dev team than Rift, Defiance is Trion San Diego, Rift was done by Trion Redwood city.

Pull up the exe file and run it in basecode. While I do not disagree that it has been heavily modified (Just like Rift) it still has all of the function calls there. You sound like those who were going on about Skyrim before its launch saying that it had a brand new engine, when Creation is just modified Gambryo. Also WoWs engine is nothing more than a heavily modified Unreal 3, the same engine that was used in Warcraft 3. And whether it is a new office or not does not make it feel any less phoned in. I played Rift for its first year, and came back for Storm Legion. All of the same balance issues are there. The same server hitches in large fights (I can link you the threads from the Rift boards, and you should be able to find the complaint threads in the Alpha boards) not to mention flickering terrain, and that is with testing 2 different video cards, and in the case of Rift 2 completely different hardware configs.

A better question for your op is "what does Defiance do better than other games available" and the sad answer to that, is nothing right now.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

I'm very dubious about the TV-show tie-in.

How many shows actually get to a second season ? It has to have very solid ratings not to get canned (sometimes even before the end of the first season...).

How will the game fare without the TV show to give it the additional "angle" ? How many episodes of the show will there be in Season 1 ? Around 3 months' worth is about standard. 

If the TV series gets canned due to poor ratings and SyFy not getting enough advertiser spend, won't that be disastrous publicity for the game ? Would the average gamer really want to buy and play a game based on a terrible TV series ? image

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common

I posted this an a similar thread, and Ill post it again here:

Some advice for people that want to talk up this game, or any game for that matter

1. Avoid hyperbole.  "FINALLY SOME INNOVATION"  What, like GW2 trying a game without the trinity, TSW having a modern setting and mystery/puzzle based quests, or even SoE using motion capture software so you can control your characters facial expression.  Just because it is innovation you dont like, doesnt mean there isnt innovation happeneing

2. Avoid nonsense points.  Oh, first game for ps3, xbox and PC!  big deal.  PS3/PC was done 2 years ago with DCUO.  Xbox/PC was done 10 years ago with FFXI.  by mentioning something like this it makes your argument seem weak that you even have to mention it

3.  Discuss the actual gameplay/systems within the game beyond its genre.  We know its a shooter with MMO elements....some people may not know what those elements on them...expand on them.  Id be curious about important things like group mechanics, dungeons, crafting, social activities, etc.

• Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTPosts: 1,181Member Uncommon

4. First MMO programmed with cross platform play on 3 platforms(Sony and Microsoft killed this feature as they won't allow PS network and Xbox live players play together, nor with PC players), from what the devs said the servers still support x-platform play

There at other firsts like the shared languages in both game and TV series, I heard that even the music score is shared, but all of that falls under number 1.

Its nice to see video game and TV show producers actually collaborating instead of just "loosely related" where each one does their own thing. I can't wait to see the show as I've been playing alpha for months, its gonna make me more psyched about the game for sure.

These are exciting times for syfy and video game fans.

I see some potential in the show, but only because I enjoy "cheesy SciFi".

I generly dislike 3rd person shooters,

TBH, the reasons you list to claim "inovation" fail to make me believe this will be a great GAME. In fact those reasons fail to indicate at all what quality of game Defiance will be. To expand they may indicate to a skeptic that the game is more likley to be lame to play.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Posts: 1,178Member Uncommon

Probably also the first MMO you've ever played.  Just sayin, it's not a bad game.  The UI is frustrating initially and the controls aren't what you'd see from a standalone shooter, but it's certainly not anywhere near that bad.  Hell, you spend more than ten minutes loading up the game, creating a character and watching the opening cinematics.  What, did you get tired of waiting to actually play and alt+tabbed out to uninstall?

no i skipped past all the story part, i figured if i liked the game play then i would get into the story later when i buy it. but once i got in game and realized that my character was stuck on the bottom left of my screen with cross hairs in the middle i uninstalled. that view alone is enough to make me not play a shooter.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,544Member Uncommon

Probably also the first MMO you've ever played.  Just sayin, it's not a bad game.  The UI is frustrating initially and the controls aren't what you'd see from a standalone shooter, but it's certainly not anywhere near that bad.  Hell, you spend more than ten minutes loading up the game, creating a character and watching the opening cinematics.  What, did you get tired of waiting to actually play and alt+tabbed out to uninstall?

no i skipped past all the story part, i figured if i liked the game play then i would get into the story later when i buy it. but once i got in game and realized that my character was stuck on the bottom left of my screen with cross hairs in the middle i uninstalled. that view alone is enough to make me not play a shooter.

Wow so you never played dead space,Gears of war, resident evil games, mass effect, Tomb Raider?

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Posts: 1,178Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tkreep

Wow so you never played dead space,Gears of war, resident evil games, mass effect, Tomb Raider?

nope i never played any of those games.

i mostly played battlefield 2/2142 for shooters, and lots of MMOs games. and RTS

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce ...Posts: 114Member

nope i never played any of those games. i mostly played battlefield 2/2142 for shooters, and lots of MMOs games. and RTS

Defiance is a TPS, not a FPS, so the camera is like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and so on... You can adapt, it's easy, but if you don't like to adapt, well, not missing you. Bye bye
  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

Will this be a good or bad thing? we just dont know yet.

So it will be released no matter what even if its a pile of junk?

meh amazing...

As others have said the final fantasy game already did this..

Anyway other than the things you mentioned nothing really stands out about this game its just an average MMO with dumbed down RPG features and pretty boring gun combat..

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Phoenix, AZPosts: 2,690Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by r3dl4nce

nope i never played any of those games. i mostly played battlefield 2/2142 for shooters, and lots of MMOs games. and RTS

Defiance is a TPS, not a FPS, so the camera is like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and so on... You can adapt, it's easy, but if you don't like to adapt, well, not missing you. Bye bye

Taking the 30 seconds or so it would have taken to actually find out that it is a TPS game, or watch any of the vids / trailers showing the view, before bothering to sign up for beta and download the client was apparently too difficult of a challenge. Really would not expect them to have the ability to adapt to playing one.

• brycegritbrycegrit Dudeno, WAPosts: 77Member
    This is also a big things for livestreamers and youtubers. Finally we have a MMO and not to mention MMOTPS for xbox 360 and its actually really good. I will be producing content and livestreaming too. I  want the game to suceed and be a part of the community. 
  • azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon

There at other firsts like the shared languages in both game and TV series, I heard that even the music score is shared, but all of that falls under number 1.

Its nice to see video game and TV show producers actually collaborating instead of just "loosely related" where each one does their own thing. I can't wait to see the show as I've been playing alpha for months, its gonna make me more psyched about the game for sure.

These are exciting times for syfy and video game fans.

And none of those contribute to good game.  All it proves are the developers are either masochist or crazy or both.  Its sad that the rest of the game is as bland as any other generic MMO with little to no innovation.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Millersburg, INPosts: 803Member Uncommon

You can tell that the game is just trying to ride on the TV show. I hope more work and thought was put into the show then there was for the game.

The game offers nothing that has not already been done before 100 times over. The worst part is the game does not try to do anything better then whats already out there. Even the character movement feels (odd, strange, not smooth). There is very little that makes this game anything more then generic TPS that can hold several dozen people on screen at once.