Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Religious guild advertising freely

RicardooRicardoo Member UncommonPosts: 6

Hey guys,

While browsing at the official forum guild recruitment section, i noticed several guilds openly advertising their religious orientation whitout any issues.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?65911-SOLA-Christian-ran-family-friendly-Neverwinter-Guild

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?8621-HCG-(Hardcore-Christian-Gamers)

I think this is really a bad, even if they accept non-religious members. This type of behaviour should be strongly dealed by community managers. The last thing i want in a a game and especially mmo is to see people's religious, sexual or politics orientations openly advertise as it just ruins my immersion.

I politely complained about it on the thread and my post has been casually removed by the moderators.

What is wrong with these guys ?

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

So what? If they want to get fellow guildies with the same beliefs then whatever floats their boat.

I fail to see the problem. I would rather they put it up front ahead of time so I don't end up accidentally being in a guild with them.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Game devs can not simply just ban such guild / communities as long as they are not crossing the limits where they start to be a deterrant to the game or the players. If they are being civil and not causing anyone grief i don't see the problem.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Though I personally believe religion, race, politics and many other subjects have no place in gaming. Freedom of speech and expression are still more important to me. This post will most likely be deleted also considering your only 2 posts on this website are anti-religion.

I get banned every week on this site for saying "this game sux" so get used to the lame mods here.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• RicardooRicardoo Member UncommonPosts: 6

If you can't understand why its important to have religion, politic or sexual orientation out of any gaming environment, its pretty sad. And no, my previous post had nothing to do with religion.

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

No issue here at all , There are guids in wow that are female or male only, some are for gays only as a buddy is in one. Who cares. You want to game with like minded people you advertise to get like minded people. nufff said.

also you should read  more,

While SOLA was founded by Christians it is NOT Required for Membership. All we expect of our membership is to be respectful, and to act in an honorable manner.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

OP you should just let this go, this is one flame war you really dont want to start.

its bad enough when people argue about games, and its worse when people argue about reigion, but when you combine the two, your simply asking for a world of pain from all sides.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

Though I personally believe religion, race, politics and many other subjects have no place in gaming. Freedom of speech and expression are still more important to me. This post will most likely be deleted also considering your only 2 posts on this website are anti-religion.

I get banned every week on this site for saying "this game sux" so get used to the lame mods here.

While I agree with your sentiment regarding religion and gaming, I just wanted to clarify that this is not a “freedom of speech” issue. Freedom of speech is not a blanket guarantee nor was it ever meant to be one. If the TOS for a product you purchase has a provision limiting the use of politics or religion from public chat or forums, the company is within its rights to enforce said provision.

However, like other here have said: I see no harm from having religion “themed” guilds. Saves me the trouble of considering joining them.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Squeak69

OP you should just let this go, this is one flame war you really dont want to start.

its bad enough when people argue about games, and its worse when people argue about reigion, but when you combine the two, your simply asking for a world of pain from all sides.

True... plust fastest way to get a ban on this site.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Lol. Hypocrite overload!!!! Petty is hating on someone for hating on something. HIGHlarious. Made my night.

I'm not hating on him and that is not what petty means.

The point is that it is insignificant and it is in everyone's best interest if people feel that strongly about such things that they have a community of like minded individuals or at least people they feel comfortable around.

'Nor am I raging. Not sure why some posters here always seem to think I am. I post the way I talk. Nothing more to it than that.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by kakasaki

While I agree with your sentiment regarding religion and gaming, I just wanted to clarify that this is not a “freedom of speech” issue. Freedom of speech is not a blanket guarantee nor was it ever meant to be one. If the TOS for a product you purchase has a provision limiting the use of politics or religion from public chat or forums, the company is within its rights to enforce said provision.

However, like other here have said: I see no harm from having religion “themed” guilds. Saves me the trouble of considering joining them.

Umm what....lol

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Originally posted by kiersteadmo

No issue here at all , There are guids in wow that are female or male only, some are for gays only as a buddy is in one. Who cares. You want to game with like minded people you advertise to get like minded people. nufff said.

also you should read  more,

While SOLA was founded by Christians it is NOT Required for Membership. All we expect of our membership is to be respectful, and to act in an honorable manner.

Where did i mention that they were not accepting non christians ? I said in the OP they do, so check your facts. Of course they accept anyone. 

The main issue is to have a neutral environment to play in. I don't want to know that the cleric in my group is heterosexual nor that the dwarf is a republican or a communist ? How hard is it to undestand that these things have nothing to do in gaming environment and should be heavily moderated ?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Can't see this being a problem, as this is a forum post and they aren't spamming local with it so it shouldn't be affecting your immersion any.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by Ricardoo

Question is, whats wrong with you mate? We live in a world with diversity in all manner of ways(race, culture, religion etc). If you cant respect that people have a belief, a political view or a sexual orientation go and hide in a cave or just avoid being around people.

I'm fine with people wanting to share their view, lifestyle etc in a guild in any game(just keep away from RP servers ^^ ) with like-minded people. Why care? If you dont like them(christans??) then avoid them, put them on ignore and immerse yourself in the game without being bothered.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I'd understand the point if those groups would force Jesus down your throat INGAME. But this is not the case, so why bother with all of this?
  • RogueJDRogueJD Member UncommonPosts: 32

I'm a vehement anti-theist, but I can't see why this would bother you.

My personal opions are that religion is essentially harmful as a whole.  I'm completely against prosthelytizing (sp?), and abuse and exploitation of ignorant / uneducated, as well as indoctrination.

My personal opinions, however, have no place in a setting like this.

I don't support -what- they're doing, but I'm also a logical man; and thus, can't condemn their actions for logical reasons.

- They don't appear to be violating any ToS.

- They don't seem to openly discriminate, only openly proclaim their beliefs as being important to them

In short, I don't like what they do, -personally-, but  I don't have to like them -personally-.  To openly object is illogical, and my -personal- opinions on the matter shouldn't be an issue in a -public- setting.

Their personal opinions obviously matter.   Politely object in a private manner (not in a forum thread), and take comfort in the fact that you don't wear your personal opinions on your sleeve.

Theist, Atheist, or Agnostic - it shouldn't matter.  None should prosthelytize.

//Edit - Typos.  No change to content

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Hey guys,

While browsing at the official forum guild recruitment section, i noticed several guilds openly advertising their religious orientation whitout any issues.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?65911-SOLA-Christian-ran-family-friendly-Neverwinter-Guild

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?8621-HCG-(Hardcore-Christian-Gamers)

I think this is really a bad, even if they accept non-religious members. This type of behaviour should be strongly dealed by community managers. The last thing i want in a a game and especially mmo is to see people's religious, sexual or politics orientations openly advertise as it just ruins my immersion.

I politely complained about it on the thread and my post has been casually removed by the moderators.

Ultimately, I think that it's a mistake to lock yourself away in ghettos in life, restricting yourself to exposure to only people that think the same as you do. I don't think people grow that way and I think unhealthy false realities are only reinforced.

If I was religious, or gay or whatever other sub group, I would want to be out there showing others that I was a rational decent human being that was fun to play games with instead of locking myself away behind closed doors and letting their prejudices run riot.

Saying that... why get bent out of shape about it? It's only them that lose. Who cares what they do? Just play your game and let them play theirs. Stop trying to control what others do.

Maybe one day they will feel confident in what they are enough as to not be threatened by others or offended by what they say, but until then let them just get on with it.

(Your 'immersion' thing is a pretty weak reason to complain I think tbh... there are far bigger immersion breakers in online games then someone advertising for a guild. I suspect your objections are in truth on other grounds.)

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

What you think that 96% of planet thats religous won't play games and formed guilds?

As long im left alone and not restricted to all religous people i have np with this.

As atheist i care less about religion, let alone ingame i never take them serieus anyway.

Aliens from outer space, evolutions in a infinite universe 13.8billion years(old was 13.6billion) old excisted after big bang happend and expand nuff said.

Restricting my life in ghettos ?  I think everyone is fairly exposed to religion, politics and so on in every possible ways. Medias or real life. 

My point is to have a place in mmos where you can rest from these exposures when you just want to get entertained. Of course they are deeper implications than just my immersion, its a form of passive proselitysm in a environment where child are present. 

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Why would anyonce care? Don't join the guild. It is as simple as that. No one is forcing anything on you. It is no different than a guild that recruits adults only or women only. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Ginrai15Ginrai15 Member Posts: 7
    Gotta admit it ticks me off quite a bit that you complain about "religious" guilds, but I only see links to christian ones.  You should just say what's really bothering you; that christian's can have have guilds in a game.  I myself am a christian and was quite happy when I saw the HGC guild cause I thought it might be nice to see how a guild like that would go.  If you want to have an entirely athiest one, go ahead, but leave us the hell alone.  I highly doubt if you ran with anyone from those guilds they would spend the entire run giving a sermon.  If someone starts, you can merely ask them not too....see common sense and being polite works great with christians, not to mention most don't troll about our religion.  I myself have hardly mentioned it and have been in guilds with people who knew my stance and beliefs and got along fine.  Hell, I was an officer in almost every guild I've been in and I've never preached to people.  Just ignore who the guild is directed towards and play the game.  I'll be in there, either as Ginrai or Kosun so if it somehow, in some magical way get's bad and you have a severe problem with those "awful christians" harrassing you and stealing your lunch money, just message me and I'll go tell them to stop.  

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

there is no freedom what comes to stating your opinion in game forums if it differs from moderators ideals and opinions there is only one button and it ise BAM BAN! been there few times myself for same reasons =)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Restricting my life in ghettos ?  I think everyone is fairly exposed to religion, politics and so on in every possible ways. Medias or real life. ..../snip

Sorry, was this meant to be in response to me? I wasn't sure without the proper use of quoting etc.

I stopped reading here though anyhow because that's not what I said. Maybe go back and reread, if it was me that you was answering that is.

• RogueJDRogueJD Member UncommonPosts: 32

Restricting my life in ghettos ?  I think everyone is fairly exposed to religion, politics and so on in every possible ways. Medias or real life. 

My point is to have a place in mmos where you can rest from these exposures when you just want to get entertained. Of course they are deeper implications than just my immersion, its a form of passive proselitysm in a environment where child are present. 

Right.

Even atheists are condemning the way you're handling this, though.

Simply - it's not against the rules.  You're also not setting a good example for other's who are good without god.  You're compouding the issue by both drawing attention to 'em, and grandstanding in a manner hypocritical to the core problem: professing your opinion.

What they're doing is potentially wrong, but not illegal / in violation of ToS.

What you're doing is the same thing.

MMORPG forums are not a solid setting to effect a change.  Until prosthelytizing is officially recongized as being harmful, either by law, or in this case, ToS; you haven't a leg to stand on.  You're potentially casting a NEGATIVE light on those of us who are with you on the core issues!

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

I don't see the problem really. People are free to bunch up with likeminded people. As long as they don't use the game to spread their word, offending my beliefs in the proces, i think it's perfectly fine.

Why can't people just accept that different people have different beliefs. As long as they're not forcing them on you ...

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Wait... so I can be religious in-game? <.<...

This discussion has been closed.