Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Ill be Buying Defiance

BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
I'll be buying Defiance becasue I liked the game and because I like the idea of an interactive game/show epic, but mostly becasue im a sci-fi fan and ive learned the hard way if you want to see good content (aka not reality shows.) you need to support efforts like this. So ima get behind Defiance becasue i want to see more shit like this.

Sci-fi fans have been hardedned by the likes of FIrefly, S.G.U. Tera Nova, Star Trek ; Enterprise etc. and we are now prolly the most loyall fanbase in existance.

There going out on a limb here with this project,  if you want to see more like this, support defiance.

It doesnt hurt that by all account's Trion Worlds is the company you want running this game. If rift is any indicator these guys take care of Business.

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    If you support shit you will get shit. Reality TV is everywhere because it makes a solid return for next to no development cost. Even the likes of SGU costs upwards of a million per episode to make, and it just did not bring in anywhere close to that much. "throw money at it" is not a viable strategy if you want to see anything of quality, its certainly not worked in any other media format.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I had enough fun in the Beta that I went and bought the game. Digi-deluxe version too. It's a good game and a lot of fun. Besides, I want to see where that story is going... I was so close to recovering that piece of ark-tech... 

Anyhow, my son and I, running around in a persistant world TPS having fun together (I actually let him drive... he's well before getting a license IRL...), killin' bugs and bad guys... well worth it.

I get the impression that we're going to run into some really challenging mobs out there... those 99ers were a pain in the rectum first time I bumped into them.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well OP.. if you enjoyed it then thats good for you :)

myself i found it pretty average like i have said in other posts..

I am a big sci-fi fan tho but that does not make the game any better, its not a terrible game but there is nothing new other than the link with the TV series..

For me ill pass on this..

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I agree with OP. The game was very fun for me personally in beta, I am also a sci-fi fan. Loved BSG and hope that their new show will be at least just as good. Waiting for my digital deluxe edition on Steam to become active on 2nd of April to be able to start playing :)

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I will not buy the game, now.

The latest BETA was a solid game with all systems in place and working. I ran into very few bugs, mostly cosmetic or easily fixed by re-loging. One quest was broken and i could not finish it. The content we had access to was solid.

The game mechanics are nothing special, a lot of features are "borrowed" from the Borderlands series.

Events and missions, although essentially all the same, are well done and enjoyable even if it comes down to walking to a spot and pressing one button (E by default) most of the time.

Gunplay is decent but needs some work as there are some major issues with targeting and hit boxes.

I will not buy the game since i feel the box price is too much and i can wait for it to get cheaper in 2-3 months from now. It should be F2P not B2P anyways.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162

Uninstalled the beta and alpha, got bored with it. Gets pretty repetitive.

Also $60 for the game and $40 for the season pass is a little extreme.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I did not see this game coming untill a dew weeks ago. watching some vids and looking reviews i will defo be buying this game, well done Trion for making a refreshing mmo.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I'll first want to watch the tv show, I hope it gives me a deeper meaning to play the game. Like many I played the beta and have to agree it wasn't anything special as a shooter with some rpg elements. The game world does look pretty decent.

But overall I will not be buying the game at release.

• SagornSagorn Member UncommonPosts: 25

While playing the beta this weekend, I went back and forth on whether or not I wanted to purchase this game or not. It wasn't the money that was a big problem, but I saw no reason to just toss it down the drain and rarely play like I did with so many other games over the last few years. In the end, I decided that for only a $60 investment (and maybe a few bucks for some inventory slots) I could play the game for a month and see how it goes. Even if it still has the problems that made put me on the fence over the purchase, I should be able to get my 60 bucks worth out of it by the time I realize it's not going to be something I want to invest anymore money on.

--Sagorn

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by taus01

It should be F2P not B2P anyways.

Something is rotten in the state of denmark. And people like you are the reason for that.

On Topic:

It looks promising, I think i'll give Defiance a shot.

Hodor!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliGeniusAliGenius Member UncommonPosts: 32
    I got the game. Yes there is no real classes or strong character progression, yes it is repetative to a degree.  So what. It's fun as hell to play twice a week type of game for me.  Short controlled bursts.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Bookah

Sci-fi fans have been hardedned by the likes of FIrefly, S.G.U. Tera Nova, Star Trek ; Enterprise etc. and we are now prolly the most loyall fanbase in existance.

The geek in me can't help but point out that it is a grave insult to the otherwise decent shows to have the pos that was Terra Nova included among them.   If Sci-Fi shows are going to be anything like Terra Nova, then they should all be cancelled in favour of brilliant, thought-provoking and heart-wrenching entertainment such as Jersey Shore.

Sorry, someone had to say it.

I've purchased Defiance btw.  Hopefully the show is decent, which would make it the.. uhm.. ONE and only decent sci-fi show.  Sigh.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by gwei1984

It should be F2P not B2P anyways.

Something is rotten in the state of denmark. And people like you are the reason for that. 

Because i do not want to pay $60 for a game plus $40 for the season pass on top of that whatever you need to buy in the cash shop to make the game bearable and not severly crippled?

You go ahead and pay then, i have better things to do with my money. I will join you once it's F2P or on sale in about a month or two from release.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Some people will pay top retail price to play anything, I guess, which what the makers are counting on. Which is exactly why Trion and all the others keep putting out the same shallow crap over and over: because enough people keep buying it. No. While Defiance is not a terrible game, it is not worth $60, is pure console fodder, and will be very cheap soon enough. No reason to not wait, especially for the PC version which definitely needs work.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I will say I already got it before I played it well before but I did it cause me and my son loved the previews to it. Even my wife and daughter got into it on the PS3 beta which is not normal and we all had a character on PS3 beta. I and my son had toons on the PC where I spent most of my time and I used a game pad for it as well.  The game story was good the graphics where also good and the gameplay was great. As for all the complaints on the UI I liked them it was simple and easy to use the menus with both the game pad and Keyboard and mouse but I play alot of FPS and TPS games anyways so it was easy to get used to. 

During the beta I had found one bug and after I reported it about an hour later they did a maintance and patch and it was fixed no more of me using decoy and boom I am locked under something and had to use fast travel to get out. Also most people said the game had no challenge get out into the gigger areas where the 99ers and hellbugs where and I will tell you your not going to solo alot of it unless someone else is with you. 

The dungeons I ran both and they where good. They where a challenge and even with the EGO 440 character in one of the groups I was rezing them and the others alot  and they me but they where really fun to do and you did not get super gear from them just better then open world gear. The cyrstal keys for lock boxes where easy to get by the end of beta I was sitting on 73 of them and $50,000+ scrip and only bought a quad the whole time beside revives. Other then that got some cool gear from just playing like a regen shield that had a 40 regen rate at 3.0 sec's and a purple Assualt rifle that did 279 dmg and full auto reload rate of .75 and had a 40 round clip and was good for me plus a VOT weapon the healed and did dmg  and then a SAW that shot flame rounds and did 346 dmg and had a reload of 4.5 and a 75 round clip. On my second load out I had a sniper and pistol and they where both good. I spent alot of time trying everything and enjoyed myself alot this weekend and only had this much fun in a beta sense GW2 and Rifts they both had amazing betas.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

I went into this beta with very few expectations. I had jumped the gun and already pre-ordered the game, and the DLC package. 

So few expectatons, and $100 already invested into the game...I was not disappointed in the game. It felt more like a single player third person shooter, my daughter walked by and saw me playing, and she said is that Mass Effect?  I loved the little bit of story I got to follow, and I liked some of the side quest, like the one where the girl was found dead near Iron Demon. 

I like the ranom encounters of havingto protect farmers, or free hostages here and there.  I love the environment and being able to just drive around squishing alien speders on my grill, or leaving tire tracks on Raiders heads. 

Also want to introduce you guys to my new sport...just invented it, and I want Trion to put it into the game some how. 

Hillbilly hunting. This is just cruising around in you vehicle, when you see an group of bad guys, you have two options, one if it's an open area you just hit your thrusters and start doing donuts until they are all dead.  If they are not in the open it gets tough, you have to snipe a couple of them until they come after you, then hop back in your vehicle and scream Yeeeeehhaaaawwwwwww while smashing them. 

Anyways, my one complaint about the game so far...and I mean big complaint.....the social interaction sucks! Chat is a tiny little window that once people start talking you can not keep up with, and if you open the bigger chat window it takes up your entire screen. 

I want to play with other people even on just side quest and such, and want to be able to communicate better,  and voice chat would have been the answer except I can not hear anyone on voice, and the ones I can are all garbled and sound like a mix of talking underwater and having their vibrators on high.

Not so nice guy!

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by Bookah

The geek in me can't help but point out that it is a grave insult to the otherwise decent shows to have the pos that was Terra Nova included among them.   If Sci-Fi shows are going to be anything like Terra Nova, then they should all be cancelled in favour of brilliant, thought-provoking and heart-wrenching entertainment such as Jersey Shore.

Sorry, someone had to say it.

I've purchased Defiance btw.  Hopefully the show is decent, which would make it the.. uhm.. ONE and only decent sci-fi show.  Sigh.

I have to agree that a lot of Sci-fi shows end up being garbage, but honestly Syfy has produced some winners, Eureka, and Alphas being two of my favorites. Warehouse 13 is pretty fun to watch. They had a few other good ones out there too. 

It is typically thier movies that are awful the CGI monsters usually look like something from a 6th grade class project. 

If Defiance has a well written story I will be amazed, and I hope it does. With shows that have good storylines and deep charachter development like "The walking dead" out there, Defiance is going to have to be as good for it to become a hit.

Not so nice guy!

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

I will not buy the game since i feel the box price is too much and i can wait for it to get cheaper in 2-3 months from now. It should be F2P not B2P anyways.

So basically you're cheap and even though you enjoyed the game did not find any glaring issues that really bothered you, you refuse to buy a product at market value. To each their own I guess but I assume for the game to go down in price, the pc version would really have to fail as I doubt you'll see a price drop off before 6 months. Rift stayed full price for longer.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Some people will pay top retail price to play anything, I guess, which what the makers are counting on. Which is exactly why Trion and all the others keep putting out the same shallow crap over and over: because enough people keep buying it. No. While Defiance is not a terrible game, it is not worth $60, is pure console fodder, and will be very cheap soon enough. No reason to not wait, especially for the PC version which definitely needs work.

Gaming companies keep doing it over and over because it WORKS !

And it will continue to work for as long as games are a popular entertainment medium.

Trying to stop the mob rush will just get you trampled as they rush past to be the "first" ingame... imageimage

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

agree with you, also a big sci-fi fan and i'm tired of seeing sci-fi cancelled and not enough of it on tv.. even loved stargate universe! which some people seem to dislike.

i think the idea is innovative to have the game combined with the tv series.

unfortunately from what little i played over this weekend i can't say that the game was amazing or anything, the character creation made the secret world's characters look awesome... and the overall look felt outdated.

evenso, i'm still thinking of supporting the game.. i had some fun playing with it as a sniper.

i could see myself having fun with it for awhile and enjoying the tv series aspects.

but it'd be supporting the innovation/idea and tv series moreso than the actual game.

• RatankaRatanka Member Posts: 2

Why on EARTH should it be F2P ? every F2P is bad so far ...

good games like max payne starcraft whatever you buy them 1 time ... its no monthly cost so see it as normal game with way more playtime ...

49,99€ on trion page for game ... not THAT much .. .less then simcity ...

and the season puss for 29,99 you no need to buy its for DLC come out next 2 years you can even buy them single by single for what ? 7€ each all  few months ? OH NO SO MUCH MONEY

i had more fun the alpha then with anything else since guild wars 2 and that means alot ... also i not even LIKE shooters and i love it ...

but now lets hope they not cancel the series fast 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Must be such a joyful life where you spend majority of the time cursing at the world and getting upset about where people chose to spend their hard earned money.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RatankaRatanka Member Posts: 2

and why not ? i come from a time where you BUY games and not want everything for free, its a fucking nice game and its 100% worth its 49.99€ ... its less then simcity and way more time to play in the game

whats "crap" for you ... i hate shooters, i hate tps, i hate console and i normaly hate MMO but i FUCKING LOVE DEFIANCE i played it last months every day 6+ hours after work and had WAY TO LESS sleep ... its amazing i can play minigames like driving for HOURS ...

i understand some are boring but the trick is go skype and PLAY WITH FRIENDS its a people game, it can be boring alone with friends its the most amazing game ever played since the realise of wow (jaeh wow now sucks but when it came out ... OH BOY)