Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casting your votes... Beta 3

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

My first emotional response after a few hours of beta where based on what could have been.  Now lets see what happens when we base our opinion on the things that where there...

Combat :  Fun, If it werent for the rooting me in place it would have been great.

Quests ;  Fun, but nothing great and enthralling like in SWTOR

Story ;  Okay, sadly there is but one story and people can not really play evil characters and such.

Lore :  Great : There is so much lore with this IP, best high fgantasy IP in the world.

UI ; Okay, still need to get used to the FPS style interface.. Would have been a good if it werent for the horrible camera movement

Gameplay : Fun

So cast your votes based on your own opinions...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

7/10 for me

My main issues are combat is amazing on the rogue, but all other classes I didn't care much for. I don't mind ranged rooting but it just doesn't feel fluid which makes it more tedious than fun for me. CC needs some love and basic animations such as running(especially on the female and thinner male models) could use some work as well. Some character models could use some serious love as too.

Foundry is key for me though and after playing some missions this weekend it gives me high hopes for the system.. foundry is still under heavy testing and needs some things ironed out but it really is a very robust tool they are giving us... i love you can make encounters with npcs that can join up and battle with you. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Fairly meh for me. If I play this game at all, most of my time will be invested in the foundry. That is, if they give the proper tools to make the foundry worthwhile.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

7/10 for me

My main issues are combat is amazing on the rogue, but all other classes I didn't care much for. 

i liked the Guardian as well; but yeah the rogue is awesome.  Theres going to be a million of them running around come launch, just a really fun class.  Cleric wasn't too bad too last beta, I assume they'll fix the problems they implemented in this one.

• triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39

another typical dungeons and dragon. i hated how the city is too close together.felt packed out.eiter way it doesnt matter to me, since i wont be playing anyways. and the  controls are so screwed up for me, i

ithink they need to go back and polish up the charcter movement.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

MMO History: Kingdom of Drakkar, WoW BC/WoTLK, WAR, Aion, Rift, GW2

D&D History (notice i'm not a pnp player): BG2, IWD1 & IWD2, NWN, R.A. Salvatore books

Graphics: I do not care about graphics. I found the art style fit the setting perfectly.

Combat: I felt the combat was fun. I did not find it smooth or as responsive as I would've liked, but I found them engaging. I got to play the CW, GF, Rogue - I enjoyed the CW despite it feeling weak; I found the Rogue smooth to play with and strong.. but Ialso found it boring; I found the GF dull at first but got a bit better as I went along. Bear in mind I have a preference over tank/healing/support classes over DPS.

Quests: Fairly standard, but for the first time in my MMO history since Kingdom of Drakkar (1997-2005) I actually started reading the quests. Nothing new, but I suppose the setting and game atmosphere helped me ease into caring about the quests.

Foundry: I see a lot of potential here. Kudos to the creative minds behind player content.

Music: I am not much a music person, but I kind of enjoyed the music in this game more than I did in some of my past games.

My score: Since numeric values are skewed and don't mean any thing, I'd give it a "I'll definitely play it when it launches and see from there. I won't scream at my friends to ZOMG-you-have-got-to-play-this-game, but I will recommend it for those who like small group dungeon runs."

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    I said 8. As far as what to expect from a game titled "Neverwinter," my expectations were met. The combat system is a break away from the series, but acts as a successor to DDO I suppose. I like the art style and graphics are decent, despite what the graphics snobs may say. I'll sacrifice graphics for gameplay and I feel they balanced the two well. I'll be playing at launch, as far as the longevity of the game: only time will tell.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Low score for me im afrid the combat just felt way too much like an asian game.. all over exaggerated and so on and really did not feel like a D&D game.. it totally put me off, kind of ruined the D&D feel that i got from the character creation.

I enjoyed the character creation options tho.

Graphics where not really very good, guess its running on the same engine as their other games anyway..

Other than that it was nothing special and nothing we have not seen before in the last few mmos to release..

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    I gave it an 8/10. I'll be honest though if this game was B2P or P2P my score would be lower. As it is though I'm happy with what the game offers all things considered. The Foundry is definitely the best part though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

The first thing that catched my eye was the combat movements and skill effects, feel's like true combat with agresiveness.

but after 30 mins of gameplay ive seen CO quest mechanics clearly in this game, consisting on 4 quests in the outside and a minidungeon between, that its not necesarely bad because its Cryptic's way to do games, said that i think the game its Fun to be honest and well polished "even though i need to test it in a EU server for better performance".

my overall will be 7/10 for the moment.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Still 7/10 for me, as in last beta weekend.

It could go up if they keep pumping in features and some content (more PVP options, more classes, large scale group content, good crafting etc.)

It could go down if they don't fix bugs, missing voice-overs, don't deliver on announced features and content etc.

• KagnestiKagnesti Member UncommonPosts: 37

8/10

im with you on the fact that it does root you in place for everything. makes me kinda sad in that way due to my favorite class being the trickster rouge. other then that it was a blast to play it for what little time i did.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

8/10

Got to level 23 Devotion Cleric and my oh my dungeons were a pain in the ass. Still fun though just contemplating on whether to purchase a founders pack to play again.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

8/10

really enjoyed the quests, foundry and dungeons. Combat was nice and fluid compared to most games bar 1 or 2. people complaining about the rooting of moves come from GW2 and it shows. personally i think that it would be good if they could make combat a little bit more fluid. certain characters dont move around so well. 

what needs work is the character creation. while you can choose the default options, there is the customise bar at the bottom. But some of the options graphically in this, you really cant see the difference. i have my graphics set as high as i could to see if there was. some of the facial graphics, such as aged, shows up, but the difference between young, hansome, middle aged, weathered, was negligible. Scars i couldnt really make out on my character either. There are quite a few options to choose from, thats not really the problem. Just some of them could use some work. 

As this was my first time in the beta, not having participated in the others, i chose the play, GWF, GF, TR and the cleric. CW is not really my style and i am not a fan of controlling characters. I found that for those that i did try that while the quests remained the same for all there are the different ways to approach them as per character style. 

For a F2P game this is quality compared to most out there. 

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Game started really strong but at about 25 it got repetative already for me. I will play more and I truly loved the combat on my GWEPFIGHTER. Such cool skills. Ive honestly played less  buggy alphas for 20 years so I was actually quite in shock at the amount of broken things with this game.

The combat is what will get me to play the next beta but I will never donate a nickle to PWE. To bad a good company didnt snag this up. Woulda been great to see En Masse get another title on there hands.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by Shamorau

8/10

really enjoyed the quests, foundry and dungeons. Combat was nice and fluid compared to most games bar 1 or 2. people complaining about the rooting of moves come from GW2 and it shows. personally i think that it would be good if they could make combat a little bit more fluid. certain characters dont move around so well. 

what needs work is the character creation. while you can choose the default options, there is the customise bar at the bottom. But some of the options graphically in this, you really cant see the difference. i have my graphics set as high as i could to see if there was. some of the facial graphics, such as aged, shows up, but the difference between young, hansome, middle aged, weathered, was negligible. Scars i couldnt really make out on my character either. There are quite a few options to choose from, thats not really the problem. Just some of them could use some work. 

As this was my first time in the beta, not having participated in the others, i chose the play, GWF, GF, TR and the cleric. CW is not really my style and i am not a fan of controlling characters. I found that for those that i did try that while the quests remained the same for all there are the different ways to approach them as per character style. 

I as well thought the character customization was weak. I hope they fix it. Also when I had finally made my perfect model to play in game. It came out with an entire different eyeset which was really lame considering I did not want my guy to be blind in one eye and he looked like a tweaker lol

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    was pleasently surprised once i got used to the controls had old school feel about this game which i loved 3 or 4 dungeons/sewers by lvl 5 love the art style tho do think characters could be better only played to lvl 9 as i dont want to have played to much before game goes live the combat felt natural after 10 mins or so tho the mobs were a bit to easy to kill but then again i only reached 9 def will be playing this game 8/10 :)
  • ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    Originally posted by Shamorau

8/10

I as well thought the character customization was weak. I hope they fix it. Also when I had finally made my perfect model to play in game. It came out with an entire different eyeset which was really lame considering I did not want my guy to be blind in one eye and he looked like a tweaker lol

yeah same for me as well. i had to remake a char cause it turned out wrong.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Quickly, inform James Cameron! The bar must be raised once again!
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Combat :  Horrible to the point of broken 2/10

Quests ;  Ok, but sort of like 1990. 5/10

Story ;  Functional but horribly presented. 5/10

Lore :  Good. 7/10

UI: ABYSMAL. 0/10

Gameplay : so so. Could be good but needs ton of improvements. 5/10

Graphics: Nice, decent. 7/10

OVERALL: 5/10

If they release it without BIG improvements it's SO going to fail.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

It has a decent foundation to build from and I kinda knew what to expect from Cryptic. However, it is still missing many features, refinement and the pvp is a mistake in its current form.

6/10

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    8/10 for me.  I just found myself playing it more than I thought I would and just having a blast on my Wizard especially in PVP where my CCs really mattered.  I agree with everyone else about being rooted in combat sucking but other than that, I just had a blast.  Can't wait to see the crafting side of the game.
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

Game started really strong but at about 25 it got repetative already for me. I will play more and I truly loved the combat on my GWEPFIGHTER. Such cool skills. Ive honestly played less  buggy alphas for 20 years so I was actually quite in shock at the amount of broken things with this game.

The combat is what will get me to play the next beta but I will never donate a nickle to PWE. To bad a good company didnt snag this up. Woulda been great to see En Masse get another title on there hands.

Sorry to hear you didn't make it a little further because for me it was at 30+ when the game really took off. The areas outside of the city itself that you start encountering get to be quite amazing. Blackdagger Ruins was alright and Helms Hold was cool but everything after that was pretty epic.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    I gave it a 7. It is better than GW2, but still kind of "meh". The foundry has so much potential and will hopefully stop it from becoming a "level a character and out" MMO like GW2. The foundry will hopefully give the game a good supply of end game material.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I was working and flying warplanes this weekend, but my daughter played it and was hooked. I went over the OP with her and rated it an 8 on her behalf. She got a cleric up to L16, but she felt the dungeons and quest areas got to be a bit challenging for solo play.

On a side note, I told her she could be in the beta and get a "headstart" on the GA players for just $60 and she said, "No Way!"

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

Gave it 6/10 (tried the trickster rogue and the guardian). Liked the rogue because it felt relatively fluid during combat. Didn't like the guardian though. The lack of dodge or an ability to get out of danger from unblockables was annoying. That and the fact that it's a potion chucking class when soloing.

Wasn't bad but i prefer the versatility that TERA has as far as combat goes (more abilities, skill chains that you can costumize, ...)

Graphics are too western for my liking (i prefer the asian style).

Admittedly, i've only played to level 10 because i had a ton of other things to do this weekend.