Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gamebreaker first hands on TESO revealed.

13»

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Phasing an instancing sucks.

That is the only way to tell a personal story of your character. And guess what? majority of players love stories in MMOS.

I just wish this complaining would just stop about phasing and instancing and focus on more real issues.

Because it's not a real issue to you?  Honestly, the thing that bothers me about phasing is that unless you meticulously keep track of your party or friends' progress, someone's going to end up "waiting" for someone else to complete another part of a quest.  Even if you can go back and help them, it's still pretty lame, I have to say.  It's a real issue for me.

Considering the amount of players who play and enjoy the themepark MMOS with instancing and phasing i would say is not just me who think it is not a real issue. Even your beloved GW2 has instancing. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by funcon
    Originally posted by archeageking

thats right gamebreaker tv has hands on preview of TESO.

you gues its its instanced, SWTOR personal style story rpg, with tons and tons and tons and tons of phasing. disappointing.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/this-week-in-mmo-show/elder-scrolls-online-hands-on-twimmo-137/

does not try to invent anything new, TESO has 10000000% more phasing and instancing.

if your going to play this on release keep your expectaction low, this is not skyrim.

Wht did you expect with 1 server for the game? Of course the game is going to be phased/instanced out the ying yang. This is why the game is going to be a huge failure like SWTOR was.

hate to say it but yes, sounds like that...

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by funcon

thats right gamebreaker tv has hands on preview of TESO.

you gues its its instanced, SWTOR personal style story rpg, with tons and tons and tons and tons of phasing. disappointing.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/this-week-in-mmo-show/elder-scrolls-online-hands-on-twimmo-137/

does not try to invent anything new, TESO has 10000000% more phasing and instancing.

if your going to play this on release keep your expectaction low, this is not skyrim.

Wht did you expect with 1 server for the game? Of course the game is going to be phased/instanced out the ying yang. This is why the game is going to be a huge failure like SWTOR was.

hate to say it but yes, sounds like that...

phasing and instancing, tbh, that sounds so much like STO, and with Romulans entering the game soon making 3 factions... it does seem a bit of an apt comparison. I hope the game doesnt tank as badly as STO did, but at the moment, i havent really seen or heard much to give me any hope for the game, even the opening of the other areas of the game once you reach max level now sounds like it has so many restrictions that it might not even be worth having in the game. as for the gamebreaker vid, i have to say that is probably one of the most boring sessions i've ever watched, even the bit about hearthstone wasnt really all that good, they certainly didnt do ESO any favours with it. Personally i'll be waiting for 'better' info to come out, and hopefuly a few less soporific interviews... just sayingimage

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

Emplying vanilla Skyrim is good.

For him, me and probably a few others, it's good. I have played it like a maniac at launch.

Edit: I haven't looked at the link, if the instancing/phasing is true, this is truly dissapointing for me.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Phasing an instancing sucks.

That is the only way to tell a personal story of your character. And guess what? majority of players love stories in MMOS.

I just wish this complaining would just stop about phasing and instancing and focus on more real issues.

Because it's not a real issue to you?  Honestly, the thing that bothers me about phasing is that unless you meticulously keep track of your party or friends' progress, someone's going to end up "waiting" for someone else to complete another part of a quest.  Even if you can go back and help them, it's still pretty lame, I have to say.  It's a real issue for me.

Considering the amount of players who play and enjoy the themepark MMOS with instancing and phasing i would say is not just me who think it is not a real issue. Even your beloved GW2 has instancing. 

So because you think less people have an issue with it, it's "ok".  And really, don't bring GW2 into this, I didn't even mention "instancing", but rather "phasing".  It's a bit different.  The majority of GW2 and most MMOs in fact, do not rely on people being on the same stage of a quest to even see one another, much less in GW2's case to particpate... another advantage of events and sidekicking.  I still plan to play TESO eventually, but not because they're making strides in MMO design, because they aren't.  Phasing sounds like an exercise in frustration.

PS: Due to the megaserver, they had to make phasing a big part of the game.  But the issue with your logic that players enjoy themeparks with phasing is that well, really, what MMO ever had this much of it?  WoW only dips into phasing once in a while at best.  Even if every single person who plays TESO ends up loving it to pieces, there's still no quantifiable way of telling who "enjoys" it being such a big part of gameplay.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Funcom killed what should have been the most brutal open world ever created in Conan, with the instanced themepark route and it looks like Zenimax are going to do the same with TES.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by SysFail
    Funcom killed what should have been the most brutal open world ever created in Conan, with the instanced themepark route and it looks like Zenimax are going to do the same with TES.

Perhaps because there is a rather limited market for "brutal open world" games?  Games of that type auto niche. Given the millions upon millions that these games take to create, I can well understand why they wouldn't want to drastically limit their potential ROI.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Perhaps because there is a rather limited market for "brutal open world" games?  Games of that type auto niche. Given the millions upon millions that these games take to create, I can well understand why they wouldn't want to drastically limit their potential ROI.

We're never know now will we, but what we do know is, is that Conan did a big belly flop into the themepark pool and never resurfaced.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Wraithone

We're never know now will we, but what we do know is, is that Conan did a big belly flop into the themepark pool and never resurfaced.

I played Age of Conan at launch.  It was fun up to level 20. Then it really dropped off.  I suspect it was pushed out way too soon, without proper development of the areas after the starting zone.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by BTrayaL

For him, me and probably a few others, it's good. I have played it like a maniac at launch.

Edit: I haven't looked at the link, if the instancing/phasing is true, this is truly dissapointing for me.

My point is the difference between Vanilla and modded Skyrim are night and day. Especially when you actually look at what Bethesda has released with its DLC's, dirty edits broken navmesh etc. Even looking at the extra features that the modding community have added, like Climates of Tamriel, SkyRe, sound and animation tweaks, Footsteps. And that is without even looking at the immersion patches, like Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Wet and Cold. I mean hell, even the pathetic nod towards the pc crowd with the high res dlc was almost instantly out done by a couple people. Much of which was in development, or even flatly developed before Bethesda even released the Creation Kit. Whats worse is how Bethesda blatently rips off the modding community. A player makes a "build your own house" mod, and a month later we get Hearthfire. A player makes a "ride your own dragon around Tamriel" mod, and a couple months later we get Dragonborn, granting us that same ability.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by BTrayaL

My point is the difference between Vanilla and modded Skyrim are night and day. Especially when you actually look at what Bethesda has released with its DLC's, dirty edits broken navmesh etc. Even looking at the extra features that the modding community have added, like Climates of Tamriel, SkyRe, sound and animation tweaks, Footsteps. And that is without even looking at the immersion patches, like Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Wet and Cold. I mean hell, even the pathetic nod towards the pc crowd with the high res dlc was almost instantly out done by a couple people. Much of which was in development, or even flatly developed before Bethesda even released the Creation Kit. Whats worse is how Bethesda blatently rips off the modding community. A player makes a "build your own house" mod, and a month later we get Hearthfire. A player makes a "ride your own dragon around Tamriel" mod, and a couple months later we get Dragonborn, granting us that same ability.

I dont understand your post at all. If a modder comes up with a good idea that makes the game better, why shouldnt Skyrim incorporate something like it in their game? Many players dont use mods and will benefit from having it added to the base game. Are you saying that creating it in a mod should make it offlimits for the base game? Why?

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC