Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder.. will this game be worth buying?

Comments

• SubAtomicAshSubAtomicAsh Member Posts: 3
    I would say if your going to buy it get it for xbox/ps3 works well on console
  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Dartmed

Well this is my personal opinion for what is worth...

Character creation very outdated (not much in there)

Dynamic Events = Boring grind after some hours (Remember Rift ....?)

Missions = Standard 3rd person linear. You can find better in single player games and because defiance fails to implement the need for grouping you might be better off.

Challenges : If you are a leaderboard maniac then maybe for a while

PVP : instanced pvp with generic goals (also broken during the last 2 betas)

Overall the game is mediocre, its not all that bad but is not great either. I believe that the all platform gameplay also hurts what it could be …. I couldn’t get an MMO feeling but rather a single player game with lots of ppl running around co-oping .

What I recommended to my blog audience was to consider it of it gets on sale on some time but not to go ahead and buy it . 

The post is not meant to be a flame and is my 2 cents . I believe that the beta can give a very good appraise of the game for anyone to decide if they want to buy it .  

Yeah - I played a lot more today and not buying right away either.  Feels more like a $29.99 or maybe $39.99 game but not $60...  It was okay but not enough to keep ya comig back day after day..

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by DMKano

Alpha tester here with about 280 hours played - preorderd a PC version for myself, and 2 Xbox versions for my nephews.

I find Defiance absolute fun, even after completing all the content in alpha.

Obviously everyone is different, some will love it some will hate it, to me its so worth $60, your milage may vary.

this pretty much sums it up.. for me i pre-ordered back when amazon first put it up because i think trion is a good developer and the videos I saw looked fun.. but alas couldn't make it through two beta weekends without pulling the plug.. everyones mileage will vary on any game..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Yeah its kinda like firefall a very basic game, firefall has no real loot period your handed everything when you get enough exp to unlock that weapon or gear piece. Think I might stay away from defiance as well. I'd rather buy monster hunter 3 ultimate for my 3ds, cheaper, and i'll probally get more enjoyment out of it than some generic shooter wannabe-mmo.

Firefall is as similar to Defiance as GW2 is to WoW. With that said though I would recomend you skip the game. You have already played it and have stated that it puts you to sleep, that alone probably means you shouldn't buy it. I personally think its worth the buy, but it didn't put me to sleep so... lol. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Well for me personally, from what I've heard I wouldn't pre-order it.  I think it'll be a good bargain when the price comes down.
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I would consider buying it for $20-$30 but $60 seems way too much for what I've seen so far. Who knows, if they support it well and do some interesting things between the game and show barring the show isn't crap it could be good. The UI is terrible and chatting is really setup badly - it's all consolized really. I think the game looks good, not as pretty as PS2 but decent. The vehicles are kind of fun, but that wears off. The shooter aspects are pretty basic. The questing can be a pain if you're not there with crowds, you can die a lot trying to get things done solo if no one else is doing the same quest. The voice acting is passable, but some of it is terrible. The story, the little bit I played of it is uninspiring and that's being generous. It's not a game I itch to play.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

When it comes to everyone looking thesame - You start out as one of 4 "clasess" and within the first 10 - 20 minutes of gameplay you get an opportunity to customize your look (first camp after tutorial).  As you progress you pick up (and get an opportunity to buy) literally 100's of costiume options.  So, shile it starts out just like evry other game in this respect you quickly get ccess to a variety that is far above and beyond what most mmorpgs offer.

This is a shooter mmo, everythign hinges on your skill as a player and not macroing or figuring out the "best build".

Rockets are lame and suck in PvP, even the basic machine guns are far better.  There is nothign broken about it.  People spam rockets 'couse they make big boom and that just makes them easy targets.  It's pointless.

There is a deep story and loads of quests in Defiance.  Just liek with any mmo it will seem lackluster if you ignore them.

There is more but i hate typing.

Personally I love this one and pre-ordered the ultimate edition.  It has depth, action and great graphics, in addition to that you get a TV show and it;s even Trion making it.  Imho you can't go wrong with a Trion game.

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93
    Doesnt appeal to me .... i think even tabula rasa had much more atmosphere you were droped in the game and you allways had that war feelin at every corner .
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    aside from the VO and opening sequence firefall feels like a higher budget game to me(and i don't even care for firefall that much) which i highly doubt it is in anyway.. very sad about this cancelled my pre-order with amazon.. going to continue to play more this weekend to try out some further along content but overall nothing really peaked my interest while playing. Very few big budget games do i get bored with in the first day.. hell even swtor got a few weeks out of me..

Yeah I can't agree with that.  As far as production quality, Defiance has Firefall beat.  I've played both.  While the combat may be a bit more fun and the controlds are a bit better, Firefall fails at performance.  I can run Defiance at maximum settings with no hiccups at all.  With Firefall, I'm freezing all over, it's so choppy at even medium settings that It's hard to even want to log in anymore.  

Trion will fix some of the glaring issues and I suspect that Defiance will end up being a solid B2P shooter in the long run.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Stofftier
    Doesnt appeal to me .... i think even tabula rasa had much more atmosphere you were droped in the game and you allways had that war feelin at every corner .

Tabula Rasa was horrible.  That's my opinion obviously.  It's hard to recognize the atmosphere when there's horrid rubberbanding, lag spikes, glitches, freezing, crashing and just about everything else that you can think of.  

• johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110

When people say this game is designed for the console they forget its designed to use a gamepad more than the kb/mouse so theres no need for the wow type ui,all skills can be accessed by the gamepad easily.

If you don't like a pc game that utilizes a gamepad more than a kb then don't play it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by johnisme

If you don't like a pc game that utilizes a gamepad more than a kb then don't play it.

Hmm, well I don't.  It's annoying as hell, so I guess that makes my decision easier.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by johnisme

When people say this game is designed for the console they forget its designed to use a gamepad more than the kb/mouse so theres no need for the wow type ui,all skills can be accessed by the gamepad easily.

Considering the mouse and keyboard are the most common PC controllers people use, especially MMO gamers it's a little silly to think pc gamers should go out and buy an extra piece of hardware to play a game released on PC. It's also not too much to ask for a PC friendly UI for the pc version of the game. Console games aren't designed around a mouse and keyboard even though those peripherals are available for most modern consoles.

• johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Say that to people who play final fantasy 11 on the pc.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I'm a big fan of Trion.

Still...can honestly say I have no desire to play this game. Nothing I have seen so far has piqued my interest at all for it. Kind of surprised because initially when they announced it I was curious but their marketing campaign has turned me off to the game. Not real impressed with what I have seen with the game or the show.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I like the game and will be buying it, but I'm applying the same standard to the game I would apply to a solo RPG/Action/Shooter, rather than what I would expect from an actual MMORPG. In short, not including DLC, I don't see this as a game I'm likely to get much more than 100 hours from, nor is it a game I'm likely to ever want to replay with an alt. 100+ hours is great from a solo game, but not the type of longevity you expect from one's primary MMORPG. If I get 100+ hours for the $60 purchase, I'll be happy.

It is B2P, so that really works for me in combination with my expectations for the game.

The DLC and the TV series tie in will be crucial for me in determining if I play it and shelve it, or keep it around to play in conjunction with what will hopefully be an enjoyable TV viewing experience.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the show I would probably take a pass, so hopefully the series will be good enough to justify plunking down $60 for the game! :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Considering how "good" :P syfy tv series are i do not hawe high hopes for it. As for the game one thing that hold me back is whole dlc stuff, it can be both good deal and scam, second thing is how "buy to win" cash shop will be, if there will be mostly outfits boost for xp thats fine for me but if they offer things that change your char in some sort of "one ugly mofo i one shot you all" ill pass. So most likly ill w8 few weeks for some ingame opinions.
  • sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by wilq
    Considering how "good" :P syfy tv series are i do not hawe high hopes for it. As for the game one thing that hold me back is whole dlc stuff, it can be both good deal and scam, second thing is how "buy to win" cash shop will be, if there will be mostly outfits boost for xp thats fine for me but if they offer things that change your char in some sort of "one ugly mofo i one shot you all" ill pass. So most likly ill w8 few weeks for some ingame opinions.

Trion came out and said they will not offer up anything on the shop that will give someone an advantage over others. 

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

The game will be a nice treat for fans of the show I guess, as a standalone MMO it doesn't cut it though. Apart from the couple of episode ( aka main story ) missions the gameplay is rather bland and neither the races nor the highscore bits help much in that respect. The UI is not acceptable on the PC.

A couple years ago what the game has to offer might have been enough, these days the market is flooded though and there are plenty of all around better options. The way  Trion turned around Rift it's probably worth keeping an eye on Defiance and maybe buy it once they arrived at a more reasonable pricing model. But for now stay the hell away.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    For $40 dollars I think it's a good deal.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by wilq

They have some good shows and a few enjoyable shows of less than stellar quality, so there is some hope. BSG was superb and some of the producers from BSG are behind this series. The US version of Being Human is also very good. They do make the worst sci-fi/fantasy B-movies on TV though and they are also flooding the network with reality crap, so the network itself deserves some criticism, but they have put out a few quality drama series over the years.

We'll have to wait and see.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    I'm sold, got 2 friends in too, Found Firefall boring, Tabula Rasa put me to sleep, yet this game is fun, I can follow the story, feeling like I'm actually doing something in an open world with other players. The game feels pretty polished but it's a Trion title, expected no less, I found the controls easy to manage even on a keyboard so I have no rational idea how people are struggling and the additional menu to exit the game... Wow...really sad when people find spending seconds exiting the game a challenging derailment holding up their life. Seems to me many complaints about MMO's these days are personal flaws of the user and much less the developer. The I need to be catered too and I need everything NOW! mind set offers little to be desired and developers obviously haven't decided to cater to you yet, so just move on to other things.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WernethWerneth Member CommonPosts: 7
    As a fan of Trion and their innovative MMOs I was desperate to play this game - thank goodness for mmorpg.com handing out beta keys for last weekend as it has saved me a lot of money buying this to find out it is a pile of "proverbial". Nothing outstanding about the game at all in fact Planetside was a heck of a lot better.
  • BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I don't want to upset anyone, but the fact is the most of MMORPG games or in this case MMOTPS don't offer anything worth playing over normal single player or multiplayer titles. Plot and features are usually weaker then single player games. Multiplayer part suffers from performence issues which don't affect normal multiplayer games with smaller servers. Glorified chat channel and leader boards are not enough to make a good game.

Apart of games like Ultima Online, EVE Online and few notable exceptions most MMOs are a waste of time. There are much better gaming entertainment options out there.

Defience is not a bad game, but it's a not nothing amazing either. Whatever main plot it has is overstretched over hours of even less appealing side mission plots. Fighting against AI gets boring fast as AI will never be as entertaining as fighting against real players. The difficulty level is lowered so everyone and his blind uncle can have some fun at the cost anyone above average.

The gameplay is too simple and looks boring after 2 hours of gameplay vidoes I watched. I rather keep that 35 £ and keep playing BF3.

The main benefit of making a MMORPG or anything along these lines is the community and the fact you can use the interaction between few thousands+ of players in a persistant world. Some understand that, others don't.