Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you pay a subscription to play CU from release?

ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

So we already know there will be a subs fee for CU and it will be less than $15, possibly several options as well, maybe several levels of subscription.

Considering the recent failures of subs-based mmorpg's and them going F2P inside a year, coupled witht he recent trend in F2P mmo pricing systems, would you be willing to pay a subs fee and if so, how much for CU?

Edit: Apologies to those planning on lifetime subs, I hadn't considered this before posting the poll and can't edit it.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Comments

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

MJ has also been talking about Life-time subs as well as looking at making a "Family-plan" sub system.

Personally, I don't mind spending money on games like this, since $15 a month or about $0.50 is good cheap entertainment in my mind.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by RealLifeGobbo
    MJ has also been talking about Life-time subs as well as looking at making a "Family-plan" sub system.

Hmm, hadn't considered lifetime subs, im sure your right and this will be the preferred option for many, but i can't edit the poll which is a shame :)

I am aware he has made several comments about possible subs models, but at this moment in time nothing has been confirmed.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    The main reason so many MMOs are failing and going F2P model is because developers are still chasing after the perfect WoW clone.  I voted 'I will be paying a subscription fee'.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    The main reason so many MMOs are failing and going F2P model is because developers are still chasing after the perfect WoW clone.  I voted 'I will be paying a subscription fee'.

^^  This.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    How can we know without seeing the actual game?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Kind of a moot point. Once I donate to the Kickstarter, I'm invested in the game and will want to play it for a while after release whether it has a sub or not.

I hope the sub is under $10/month perhaps $9.95.

I think a sub could actually work better for a game like CU than for your standard thempark/raidgrind PvE game where players quickly run out of content faster than the devs can add it. In an RvR game like CU players are the content. As long as your server doesn't die quickly due to realm population imbalance, technical gitches, unbalanced classes, etc., there should always be content worth a sub.

I didn't really even think twice about paying the monthly sub for DAOC once I started RvRing regularly until many years had passed and the population had dwindled leading to clustering and most of my guild had drifted away. If CSE succeeds at making CU the game we all hope, it should be the same way.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Is this from the same house as Warhammer? Same devs or something?  If it is....I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  If not, I'll do some research and consider it.  This is the first I've heard of it.  Seen a few things on this site, but that's all.  Guess if I took the time to research a bit I could find out who the devs are myself.  It just "feels" like Warhammer is hanging out in the back room somewhere.  Hmm.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Is this from the same house as Warhammer? Same devs or something?  If it is....I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  If not, I'll do some research and consider it.  This is the first I've heard of it.  Seen a few things on this site, but that's all.  Guess if I took the time to research a bit I could find out who the devs are myself.  It just "feels" like Warhammer is hanging out in the back room somewhere.  Hmm.

Not much as WAR, because regarding WAR there was ...well....EA....Games Workshop... Money makers....

If on the other hand you like DAoC, heard good things about it, well, Mark Jacobs, a GAME MAKER, wich is very different than money makers.... was the man behind DAoC, and it holds a special place in many people's hearts and minds as what was the best mmorpg so far.

So even if MJ was also involved in WAR, there was many other people involved in the decision process, and since both sides had very different views about WAR, it gave the results we know.

My thoughts about mmo creation process : "Leave the MMORPG creation in MMORPG and RPG people that plays it, like it, love it, live for it. RPG and MMORPG players are not common video gamers they seek something else, something that only MMO players can understand...sometimes disagree totally lol, but understand. No one would ask to an accountant to create a new recipe, they'd ask a chef. You guys want to make an MMORPG ? hire MMORPG lovers."

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    I'll be going for a lifetime sub as long as its in the $200-ish range. Otherwise, a normal sub fee is fine with me.
  • QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Lifetime Subs should be something he should offer to KS  backers in like, the $500+ range (plus the game for free, obviously).
  • fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Lifetime Subs should be something he should offer to KS  backers in like, the $500+ range (plus the game for free, obviously).

$500 for a lifetime sub is really exspensive. For my STO Lifetime sub it was like $250 or something.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Depending on the reward tiers, I am willing to pay a sub, definitely. The concept is exactly the kind of mmo I have always wanted, and I want CSE to be well-funded in a consistent fashion so that they can support the game regularly.

Lifetime sub? If I can afford it. I am pretty paycheck to paycheck.
  • RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Depending on the reward tiers, I am willing to pay a sub, definitely. The concept is exactly the kind of mmo I have always wanted, and I want CSE to be well-funded in a consistent fashion so that they can support the game regularly.

Lifetime sub? If I can afford it. I am pretty paycheck to paycheck.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, but a trick you can do to help save up some money, is say take $20 a month and put it in a jar or something and never touch it!  After awhile, you will have a decent chuck of change to use for all sorts of things.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

This horse is dead, decayed, and long ago devoured by worms... why the continued flogging?

Anyone who would pay the sub fee (which is just about everyone who shares an interest in the project) doesn't really care about the amount, so the second option is kind of silly.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    I would pay a sub fee for any MMO thats good.  Is it good?  No one knows yet.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    @RealLifeGobbo: I hear ya. That is a good plan, and one I am currently employing in a much greater amount than 20 for other, more important, unfortunate purposes than subbing.

I am totally backing CU for AT LEAST $100, and am willing to gladly pay a sub. I just don't know about $500 in one pop given my other obligations.

But cheers! :)
  • CrimsonSixCrimsonSix Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Yep, anything at or below $15 would be fine with me.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by waynejr2

This.  However IMO modern MMO's can't justifiy really charging much more than $5 a month.  From what I understand bandwith and server costs are just not as high as they were 10 years ago.  If they still are then I will gladly reconsider my stance, but I have tasted the fruit of B2P and good F2P models (well good for me at least) such as STO's and Tera's and it will be very hard to convince me that a game company deserves my money on a monthly basis just to continue to play a game I already paid $30-$50 for.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143
    As long as the game is fun to play I'll pay. For a game that focuses upon RvR/PvP it is important to have a level playing field, and the best way is to pay a fee. We are likely going to have tons of discussion regarding balancing anyway, so it is better to eliminate the P2Win option.
  • triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39

maybe i havent realy check upon the game info yet or i have yet to seen much info on this game besides i trailer that didnt show nothing. since i have no info about this game. not as much as wildstar archage or even eso . u can call me clueless on CU

i have no answer for this unless anyone could link a website or articvles showing gameplay or something i would gladly love to check this game out.

for any game i play i would rather pay a sub if im going to sink endles hour of gameplay in it

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I have no problems with a sub fee but this game sounds a little to small scale for a sub. I mean if they are only using a small amount of money to fund it through kickstarter then I guess they can make a profit.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by triton54x

maybe i havent realy check upon the game info yet or i have yet to seen much info on this game besides i trailer that didnt show nothing. since i have no info about this game. not as much as wildstar archage or even eso . u can call me clueless on CU

i have no answer for this unless anyone could link a website or articvles showing gameplay or something i would gladly love to check this game out.

for any game i play i would rather pay a sub if im going to sink endles hour of gameplay in it

exactly my thoughts. This game is just nothing but talk. There is no product yet.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by rodingo

This.  However IMO modern MMO's can't justifiy really charging much more than $5 a month.  From what I understand bandwith and server costs are just not as high as they were 10 years ago.  If they still are then I will gladly reconsider my stance, but I have tasted the fruit of B2P and good F2P models (well good for me at least) such as STO's and Tera's and it will be very hard to convince me that a game company deserves my money on a monthly basis just to continue to play a game I already paid $30-$50 for.

For 1 hour of bowling you pay about 15$.

For 30$-50$ you have game you can have fun in and play in month for example for 50 hours.

Then to continue and have it upgraded constantly you need to pay only 10-15$ per month.

15$/50 hours is 0,3$ per 1 hour of fun. Wtf is up with you people?

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by rodingo

Every mmo also needs much more than just bandwidth.

continous work on the game, expansions (remember that some of those are free expansions too, MJ like that cncept).

Iits not a mud game where once its on the store's shelf its done with. the work keeps coming, and they have to pay for that work right ?

if it were an mmo where NO content at all was ever doone after launch, then maybe ok.

I know you'll probably mention that some mmos you buy dont have subs, but look at the content added too.

Anyways, i think it will be an eternal debate whenever a mmo is made...

There is one thing though : no one is forcing anyone to pay for a sub, if oyu don't like the concept, well its ok too...

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Zinzan

So we already know there will be a subs fee for CU and it will be less than $15, possibly several options as well, maybe several levels of subscription.

Considering the recent failures of subs-based mmorpg's and them going F2P inside a year, coupled witht he recent trend in F2P mmo pricing systems, would you be willing to pay a subs fee and if so, how much for CU?

Edit: Apologies to those planning on lifetime subs, I hadn't considered this before posting the poll and can't edit it.

My personal opinion is these expensive games going f2p is not because they had a sub price but because the industry as a whole has no idea what people want in an MMO.

On top of that spending multiple millions to make the game to start with puts more pressure on them to cover the development costs and try to make a profit after.