Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gamebreaker first hands on TESO revealed.

Comments

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Originally posted by jay8118

Kinda hard not to do phasing and instancing when its on one "megaserver"

You mean like how Fallen Earth and Eve have just 1 megaserver without phasing? 

Are we talking phasing or different channels on one server? Because there is a difference and I do not find either on of them a bad thing in a MMO. With one you can make the world change slightly around you to give the player an immersion feel. With the other you separate players, but allow for them to join up together when needed (Neverwinter has this in their game). 

If you are wanting to bash a game even before it comes to beta you may want to find something more game breaking than this.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

The different systems in EVE are instances technically.

• Tarkus-BlackTarkus-Black Member Posts: 7
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Originally posted by Xepo

Are we talking phasing or different channels on one server? Because there is a difference and I do not find either on of them a bad thing in a MMO. With one you can make the world change slightly around you to give the player an immersion feel. With the other you separate players, but allow for them to join up together when needed (Neverwinter has this in their game). 

If you are wanting to bash a game even before it comes to beta you may want to find something more game breaking than this.

If you are responding to me, since you quoted me, I am not bashing TESO. I am looking forward to TESO.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

If you actually looked at the size of the Eve world that you can explore, that would answer your question.  The game is flat out massive.  That is why it can support all those players and still be on one server.

Think SWTOR could do that....with its samll zones, with 10 quest mobs out there and all those people doing the same quest.  You would need a deli ticket thing to even begin to play that game.

TESO has to have phasing because it is a small, themepark MMO like SWTOR.  It may have more land mass to do things in, but you still do the same thing.  Run around, grab a quest to kill 10 Draugr just like every one else.

Anyway, this game wont ammount to much we already know that.  This is just one of those games where you look to see just how bad or dissappointed you are.

EQ Next might be something, might not be, but this game surely is not.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Dalmont

On top of that, 90% of gamers dont mind instances or phaing as long as it makes the game better... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

On top of that, 90% of gamers dont mind instances or phaing as long as it makes the game better... 

Source?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Those guys were so incredibly boring and just bad at their job,i could not watch it through.

I watched about 15 minutes and they still were barely on topic about TESO.Besides they were invited to go there,so not like i expect anything REAL to come out of it.

They usually have a pretty solid show, in GBTV's defense.  I guess it's just the topic of ESO that is dry and boring, where an awesome SP IP is being shoehorned into a generic themepark MMO, with a mix of WoW & SWTOR & Warhammer Online.

Having Jason Winter and Pocket would have added a better sanity check about what Zenimax was doing, IMO.  The other guy in the latest show linked just adores everything he talks about, and doesn't leave much room for interesting discussion and / or objective/subjective critique.  Which could be fine, if someone else is present to counter what is being said.  Without hearing different angles, it just comes off as a 90 minute infomercial.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Agreed, as long as they're done right and don't break immersion, instances and phasing can be a boon.

EVE does a really really good job with zones and instances (not only the systems but stuff like wormholes and mission "dungeons" as well)... It's coherent with the gameworld and makes sense. The problem with instances in many games is that people feel they're cut off from each other in really artificial, immersion breaking ways.

I'd say excessive instancing (down to 100 players or less each zone) is much worse than phasing, which can provide that feeling of progression in the world, which in turn can make the game feel much more "Skyrim-like".

Though given that they're going megaserver, I'm hoping they'll have much bigger instances than, say, STO or SWTOR.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Shard of a map and phasing are not the same thing, or people bashing them both? Phasing has worked very well in many MMOs and if used right can add alot of depth.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by koboldfodder
    If you actually looked at the size of the Eve world that you can explore, that would answer your question.  The game is flat out massive.  That is why it can support all those players and still be on one server. Think SWTOR could do that....with its samll zones, with 10 quest mobs out there and all those people doing the same quest.  You would need a deli ticket thing to even begin to play that game. TESO has to have phasing because it is a small, themepark MMO like SWTOR.  It may have more land mass to do things in, but you still do the same thing.  Run around, grab a quest to kill 10 Draugr just like every one else. Anyway, this game wont ammount to much we already know that.  This is just one of those games where you look to see just how bad or dissappointed you are. EQ Next might be something, might not be, but this game surely is not.

you act like its a foregone conclusion or something. you may not want to play it because its a theme park game but many others will.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Another sandbox fan discovers this isn't Skyrim on-line...we'll probably get one of these threads every day now.

About phasing... only one (Mega)server... think it through.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

I hate phasing of the world. Example: Main story youre phased by yourself, phased to only your faction when in the opposing faction questing, invisible walls covering the other 2 factions pre-50.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the mega server and are like "This is awesome! " While not having to re-roll is awesome, it makes it not feel like youre sharing one world. I know with a game with servers thats true, but one server felt like YOUR world. We're gonna phase across 100's of different types of the world I imagine if it expects to support hundreds of thousands. Please hearing that it really doesnt change the game the decisions you make in ESO, it makes it feel like another game where the world is just a back-drop (A real awesome looking back-drop in this case)

The other problem is that people dont want to play a game like Everquest 1 -- The "static camps" where groups of people just grind the same camp for hours. There are EQ people who like that, but a lot of people nowadays want an MMO they can pick up, play for an hour in a couple instanced dungeons with LFD without having to leave town, then leave because of their baby or real life obligations or what have you. The problem is, unless you force conversation, dungeons are all business no talking because theyre so face-roll. Static camps just by virtue of being there for a few hours, you talked and made friendships.

However, at the same time, I guarantee you Zenimax would do things non-Elder Scroll even if they lost 30,000 diehard Elder Scrolls fans if it meant getting a new fanbase with 100,000 general MMORPG players who love their game and subscribe for a year. They dont CARE what Elder Scrolls fans think, whatever gives them more money and if they can bring them along for the ride and not make them defect, thats great for them

But at the same time.. No one is ever going to pull off what WoW did, until maybe Blizzard with Titan. I guarantee most WoW players will quit to try Titan the moment it comes out, whenever that may be. Same with every MMO player no matter what game they come from.  So you cant just copy WoW, but it does have great features. (I personally DO like Looking for Group and Looking for Raid)

Will I buy this game Day 1? Of course, it looks awesome in a lot of regards. Will I still be playing 3 months later? That is what I ask myself with no raids at launch and Cyrodill/Crafting/Likely easy 4 man dungeons being the end game. I will likely finish all 3 factions quests in a month or tow.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Shard of a map and phasing are not the same thing, or people bashing them both? Phasing has worked very well in many MMOs and if used right can add alot of depth.

Correct. Lets mention some MMOs with phasing. GW2 and WoW having phasing. Of course when WoW added phasing to the game I had hoped for a more immersive feel, but it did change the world and made it feel better. It also can create a problem when people are on different parts of a quest line with phasing, but it is a step in a good direction to try to make the world around the player change.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Xepo
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Correct. Lets mention some MMOs with phasing. GW2 and WoW having phasing. Of course when WoW added phasing to the game I had hoped for a more immersive feel, but it did change the world and made it feel better. It also can create a problem when people are on different parts of a quest line with phasing, but it is a step in a good direction to try to make the world around the player change.

One of the best uses of phasing ever was done in GW2 when they decided to phase resource nodes. Brilliant move to avoid unnecesary petty competition.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I have this entirely unreasonable disgust for everyone at gamebreaker. 

The hosts there are just......so damn douchey.  I am going to assume they didnt have much to say anyways.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Phasing an instancing sucks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by archeageking

thats right gamebreaker tv has hands on preview of TESO.

you gues its its instanced, SWTOR personal style story rpg, with tons and tons and tons and tons of phasing. disappointing.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/this-week-in-mmo-show/elder-scrolls-online-hands-on-twimmo-137/

does not try to invent anything new, TESO has 10000000% more phasing and instancing.

if your going to play this on release keep your expectaction low, this is not skyrim.

Wht did you expect with 1 server for the game? Of course the game is going to be phased/instanced out the ying yang. This is why the game is going to be a huge failure like SWTOR was.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Tayah

That is the only way to tell a personal story of your character. And guess what? majority of players love stories in MMOS.

I just wish this complaining would just stop about phasing and instancing and focus on more real issues.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

That is the only way to tell a personal story of your character. And guess what? majority of players love stories in MMOS.

I just wish this complaining would just stop about phasing and instancing and focus on more real issues.

Majority? If that were true, SWTOR would would have been more successful.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Majority? If that were true, SWTOR would would have been more successful.

Story telling is the best part about SWTOR but that is not enough to make a game successful. SWTOR lacked in other departments. The verdict on TESO is still out. . Stories in themeaprk MMOS is just one of the many features and not the only 'one' feature. So it is unfair to base entire success or failure of a MMO on just this one particular feature.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Because it's not a real issue to you?  Honestly, the thing that bothers me about phasing is that unless you meticulously keep track of your party or friends' progress, someone's going to end up "waiting" for someone else to complete another part of a quest.  Even if you can go back and help them, it's still pretty lame, I have to say.  It's a real issue for me.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

You have no clue and you jump on words you don't like, because some other MMOs failed at using instancing and phasing in a non immersion breaking way.

Yes, in SWTOR entering a green barrier, having a message pop up "now entering story area" sucks, also the story instancing in Gw2 is atrocious, but just because Bioware and Anet screwed up it doesn't mean no one will ever use phasing and instancing in a better way.

You know every game has "instances" it's nothing but maps in various sizes and they are either single player, grouped play or public maps.

So you want everything public like "oldschool MMO" where you kill epic werewolve boss to save the world, and 50 other players are behind you waiting for epic werewolve boss to respawn.

I prefer phasing and instancing where epic werewolve boss is gone forever in my phased world.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Being an MMO doesn't have to change the fundamental dynamics of a series - although a lot of peole seem to be making that excuse for it currently. 

It is no excuse, it is a fact.

They are not making a sequel, they are using entirely different concept thus any adoption is at place, even if that means fundamental changes to what SRPG series are based on.

You just well demonstrated my point...

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I really liked everything I heard... damn why cant this game get released tomorrow?!