Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar is going to be a big hit!

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
I have a feeling, this game is really gonna be big. Bigger than Rift and GW2. And will be bigger than Elder Scrolls Online. It will challenge ArcheAge for the 2nd biggest MMORPG behind WoW.

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    I don't think so. I think it will settle around 300-500k and play well within the player base it can carve out from the others. But then after playing Archeage, especially being under Trion, it has little hope of doing particularly well in the west.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    housing looks amazing but honestly the cartoony look with no huge IP to back it up will hurt the game a lot imho.. i'm going to try it for sure but don't think it's going to be huge.. we shall see but my guess TESO will draw a lot more people in based on IP alone.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Elder Scrolls Online has the IP going for it, all sorts of people know about it compared to WildStar. Although I'm looking forward to W* myself, I think it needs to gain some momentum in the marketing field to get decent initial sales.
  • koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I call Wildstar, World of Warcraft V2.0 and that is a good thing.
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Elder Scrolls Online has the IP going for it, all sorts of people know about it compared to WildStar. Although I'm looking forward to W* myself, I think it needs to gain some momentum in the marketing field to get decent initial sales.

True. I might try TESO but I think its gonna flop, and flop hard like SWTOR. WildStar is bringing back the seamless world and WoW like feel to it. With the world (planet Nexus) open for pvp in contested zones, gonna be pretty cool. I don't see TESO doing this. It will be way to instanced like SWTOR. It is going to have 1 server lol. Can you imagine the thousands of instances the game is going to have? It does have the IP and 3 faction battle royal thing going for it though.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    housing looks amazing but honestly the cartoony look with no huge IP to back it up will hurt the game a lot imho.. i'm going to try it for sure but don't think it's going to be huge.. we shall see but my guess TESO will draw a lot more people in based on IP alone.

Initially yes, TESO will draw a lot of players with the IP, but it won't last. Like SWTOR, TESO seems heavily reliant on it's quests being engaging (which they may well be) but they won't last and a PvP zone, even being 3 faction, isn't going to hold much attention. Also, I know they want the 3 faction thing, but locking the world down like they have (you will basically never see, let alone interact with, a player of the opposing faction outside of the PvP zone) really kills the RP for me, which is what TES has always been about.

ArchAge I don't think will be as big as it's fans imagine (I hope I'm wrong, as the genre really does need a big AAA sandbox), but it's systems simply aren't casual friendly; basically ArchAge seems like it will take more effort to learn, and more time to maintain any sort of status, than your average casual gamer would be willing to put in. ArchAge I see as being similar to EvE, a good population of fans that steadily grows, but only to a point.

I agree that WildStar has got an uphill battle in terms of marketing (being a new IP, and immediately compared to WoW), but they have been doing a good job so far, and with beta starting soon and some big guns like Warplots still to show off I think they will gain a healthy recognition before launch, and baring any nasty gotchas (like a tiny world) will take off from there.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

That didn't help SWTOR at all. A crappy mmo is a crappy mmo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Tayah

so you think it would of sold that many copies and still have as many players as it does if it was a no name scifi IP? of course the IP helps like in anything. and when it's a IP like star wars well that is HUGE..  i don't think he means in terms of it being a good or bad game just in terms of how many will know about it and get it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Honestly, I'm on the fence.  The only good thing Wildstar has going for it is Housing.  So far, from what I've seen through videos, it is indeed WoW 2.0 and that is NOT a good thing.  The WoW concept model is old, dry, and boring.  Themepark is boring.  The WoW's version of the "Holy Trinity" is boring.  Give me back my support classes! (ala EQ).

I will agree that Blizzard made some good strides to improve the genre since Everquest; but that is ancien history.  Action-combat is the way to go.  More Sandbox elements are the way to go.  Talent trees are boring.  I like customization beyond what the class gives.

Wildstar is not that from what I've seen.

Also, 2-faction based games tend to have faction inbalances.  3-faction like DAoC, Elder Scrolls, and the tentative Camelot Unchained are the way to go.

Does that mean I won't try Wildstar?  Not really.  I'll give it a shot, but I'm not antipcating it in any way, shape, or form.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I would've like to have seen world PvP objectives in WildStar. That would have made it an instant buy for me. Now I've decided to buy it if it's B2P. Not if it's subscription though.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

This kinda reminds me off EQ2 vs WOW back in the day, when most people thought EQ2 was the sh*t and WOW looked too cartoony and childish and had no chance at all... Turns out cartoony isn't exactly a dealbreaker for most.

Of course that doesn't have to mean WildStar will come out on top - because, let's not forget, WOW had the IP going for it as TESO does now.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Nikopol

This kinda reminds me off EQ2 vs WOW back in the day, when most people thought EQ2 was the sh*t and WOW looked too cartoony and childish and had no chance at all... Turns out cartoony isn't exactly a dealbreaker for most.

Of course that doesn't have to mean WildStar will come out on top - because, let's not forget, WOW had the IP going for it as TESO does now.

The TES ip is nowhere near as big as the Warcaft ip was before launch though.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    While making bold statements, as in the title of this thread, is usually fodder for flaming - I'm forced to agree with the OP. Fanboyism aside, after digging deeper and catching what the devs are all about - yeah, Carbine knows their stuff. This game is for real.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    pretty bold statement, since we could run out of content at level 20, like Age Of Conan at release :)
  • jbgunzjbgunz Member UncommonPosts: 27
    TESO will be a big steaming pile of poopo the IP will attract the mass but the game will drive them away. Archeage is gona be another asian steamy pile of poopo as well. I mean really people what asian /eastern geared game has ever done remotely well here in the western market..........oh yeah none!. My money is on Wildstar its gonna be a sleeper hit for sure.
  • healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103

Nothing too see here move on. I'll try it sure ,like it  who knows but I'm in a never ending search for skill based progression I never want too quest I just wana kill thousands of junk till I feel my skills are where i want them. I dont want anything too drop of mobs but crafting mats, and I never want to be in my own instanced world agin

• linh868linh868 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I completely agree with the OP, since Carbine announced the housing, the Elder game (which alone should be at least twenty hours of gameplay) , the raids, the humor, and the free form targetting. I really hope their execution goes well!
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I will agree that Blizzard made some good strides to improve the genre since Everquest; but that is ancien history.  Action-combat is the way to go.  More Sandbox elements are the way to go.  Talent trees are boring.  I like customization beyond what the class gives.

Wildstar is not that from what I've seen.

Game has action combat, not like WoW's combat there. Llimited action set like TSW and GW2. Dodge and sprints to avoid attacks. Say they have more Sandbox elements like the Settler who builds up towns, not much info there though (almost no information on the Scientist). Not sure about other sandboxy elements, but the main world is seamless. No idea about talent trees. In the Pax Press Demo, they said you can customize nearly everything - and for the Warrior class specifically, which is either a Tank or DPS main build, devs have said you can go CC build (a mix) and it is quite fun - so some more possibility there in class builds - Yes please.

So there is some information and plenty of videos out there to inform you better than myself :)

so you think it would of sold that many copies and still have as many players as it does if it was a no name scifi IP? of course the IP helps like in anything. and when it's a IP like star wars well that is HUGE..  i don't think he means in terms of it being a good or bad game just in terms of how many will know about it and get it

Yep, if people don't know about the game, then people don't buy the game. With NC Soft here, if people don't buy the game to start, well it probably won't be heading in a good direction from there - even if the game is good or bad :)

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by jbgunz
    TESO will be a big steaming pile of poopo the IP will attract the mass but the game will drive them away. Archeage is gona be another asian steamy pile of poopo as well. I mean really people what asian /eastern geared game has ever done remotely well here in the western market..........oh yeah none!. My money is on Wildstar its gonna be a sleeper hit for sure.

Well, if TESO can deliver epic RvR and a good combat system... that's enough for me. We'll see how it turns out. I wanna try TESO and Wildstar.

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49

Having a huge IP is not always the best thing look at swtor !

it had the biggest ip ever and it still tanked, gameplay and smart dev's is way more important imo.

look at gw 1 it was a new ip back than and it sold 7 million copies in its lifespan, why ? 

because even though it was a new ip it was a quality ip with quality devs behind it.

the only bad feeling i have for wildstar is that they stuck with the stupid trinity :S

that could spell disaster for them as the industry as a whole is trying to move away from that archaic system.

that said we need something that has quality, depth and requires strategy, but not quite as boring and scripted as the trinity.

trinity isn't it, gw2 style is close but not quite there, teso style isn't it either.

imo, a combination of the best those systems have to offer might do the trick though.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Doubt it. Everything I have seen about it screams "yet another WoW clone" but in space. Even got the same goofy cartoony style to it.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by kurosenshu

Having a huge IP is not always the best thing look at swtor !

it had the biggest ip ever and it still tanked, gameplay and smart dev's is way more important imo.

Here's another way to look at it:

Though SWTOR "tanked" monumentally, it's still one of the top played MMOs on the western market, even possibly one of the top earning ones...

I guess that's what IP does for you. :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It helps in terms of box sales, not in becoming a better game. SW:TOR is garbage.

Originally posted by Yamota

It helps in terms of box sales, not in becoming a better game. SW:TOR is garbage.

that was my point IP gets interest and sells copies..  wildstar is at a disadvantage against TESO because of this no matter which is a better game..

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by funcon
    I have a feeling, this game is really gonna be big. Bigger than Rift and GW2. And will be bigger than Elder Scrolls Online. It will challenge ArcheAge for the 2nd biggest MMORPG behind WoW.

You must be new around here. Otherwise you would know that its not normal to say anything positive about a game, especially one that hasn't launched yet. ^^

I'm quite looking forward to Wildstar myself. I want to see how it plays, before I make any judgement calls on it.  What concerns me most is that their publisher is NCsoft. Thats NOT a good sign for a western game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."