Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I transfer servers, and what is the state of the game?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by bcbully

From what I hear, the population is concentrating on a 3 servers. 

For what it's worth GW2's xfire numbers on march 21st were the lowest they've been since launch 7.1k hours played. That's about 3k hours less than last month, and about 1/3 of WoW. 

Still nothing to sneeze at, but I have to wonder what the people who have been there since launch are still doing. Making alts?

pretty much.. i'm still not fully geared out with any of my characters but i'm an altaholic and haven't found a better themepark MMO for alts.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I recently have been playing 1 of 3 different characters.  Level 80, Level 1-5 and a level 40.  Also to note, I'm on Tarnished Coast.

The starter area (Queensdale) is very populated.  The 40ish level was somewhat barren, meaning today on Sunday, I ran into less than ten people while running through the zone I was in.  The level 80 I played on Wed/Thurs and I was in a 75-80 zone.  It was more populated than the mid zones but not as much as the beginner zone.

In short, I think ANET should really either merge some of the servers or do some sort of cross-server stuff for the PVE side. 

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

For what it's worth GW2's xfire numbers on march 21st were the lowest they've been since launch 7.1k hours played. That's about 3k hours less than last month, and about 1/3 of WoW. 

Still nothing to sneeze at, but I have to wonder what the people who have been there since launch are still doing. Making alts?

pretty much.. i'm still not fully geared out with any of my characters but i'm an altaholic and haven't found a better themepark MMO for alts.

Yep. I have 3 80s now with a 4th heading towards it. This game is really setup well for alts and leveling one up gives you much more to do. Once you get another character to 80 you have the whole cosmetic grind again which is really fun for me. I love getting a character to 80 and decking it out in sweet looking gear. Not to mention that this is one of the only games you want to have a ton of different gear sets in. (Yeah I know a couple of others do this, but not to this extreme) I also play other games as well.

There is no question that GW2 does not have much to do past a certain point if you want progression, but if you set goals for yourself it feels the same way. The daily progression gave me a reason to login every day now and WvW progression is going to open up a whole new world for me in the game. The leaderboards too. I can't wait for that stuff! Logging in for guild missions is also a nice change of pace lately. Did a Guild Rush on Friday, was a blast!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

What they are doing is maybe playing the game 1 or 2 hour a week and still talk as if its the best mmo experience on the market. LMAO

Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Yep. I have 3 80s now with a 4th heading towards it. This game is really setup well for alts and leveling one up gives you much more to do. Once you get another character to 80 you have the whole cosmetic grind again which is really fun for me. I love getting a character to 80 and decking it out in sweet looking gear. Not to mention that this is one of the only games you want to have a ton of different gear sets in. (Yeah I know a couple of others do this, but not to this extreme) I also play other games as well.

There is no question that GW2 does not have much to do past a certain point if you want progression, but if you set goals for yourself it feels the same way. The daily progression gave me a reason to login every day now and WvW progression is going to open up a whole new world for me in the game. The leaderboards too. I can't wait for that stuff! Logging in for guild missions is also a nice change of pace lately. Did a Guild Rush on Friday, was a blast!

yea I'm working on #3 right now my thief.. was planning on just doing only pvp with my thief but i still have not done 100% map on any character so maybe this one I'll go for that.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

http://www.killtenrats.com/2013/03/13/gw2-in-spite-of-community-pressures/

http://bhagpuss.blogspot.pt/2013/03/go-play-outdoors-gw2.html

The time for saying the population was low was around end of november 2012.

At the moment Arenanet is doing changes to make some areas less populous, so the low pop argument sounds less convincing.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by bcbully From what I hear, the population is concentrating on a 3 servers.    For what it's worth GW2's xfire numbers on march 21st were the lowest they've been since launch 7.1k hours played. That's about 3k hours less than last month, and about 1/3 of WoW.    Still nothing to sneeze at, but I have to wonder what the people who have been there since launch are still doing. Making alts?

What they are doing is maybe playing the game 1 or 2 hour a week and still talk as if its the best mmo experience on the market. LMAO

TBH, log for daily (just in case), farm 2-3 dragon event (if have time), go out to play more fun game. Bored as hell from GW2 as anything you do or is same, or called farming, or just pointless. Not fun of condition dungeon w/o healer and group finder either.
    good DE/dragon calls farming, bad is just boring and same at all areas...
    beside I found I dislike to feel like noob at lvl 80...
    guess soon will give up and will visit it like 2-3 times per year as I do with GW1 (had great playtime for like 2 years non-stop and like 10-12 h per day, but got bored too).

All who claim it's a great game, please tell what is fun to do there? WvW? same stuff all long + cunning....

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Celestialnova

I appreciate all the responses, and I like the guesting idea to find a "better" server.  Also to note the reason I am not with my gw1 server was because they were based in the UK and with the servers at launch couldn't get over there.

With that said, does anyone know if their population tracker is based on characters or people online?  I just can't imagine that we're very high when I was running around like that.  Regardless, I do hope to get into the game more.  I just can't imagine why they didn't merge servers or try to get back to what GW1 was when the pop dipped (like every mmo does after launch).  Especially with a game focused on the community more in my opinion.  Oh well, sadly I missed the free transfer T.T 

The server analog population counts (low, medium, high, very high, full) are manipulated by devs / publishers to make people still playing the game feel as though the game is still very popular.  Kind of a morale booster I suppose.

ie, a Very High or Full rating when a game comes out means there are players everywhere (and with GW2 every single zone is in overflow), and later on that same rating means something lesser.  The rating is still useful for comparing server X to server Y though.  It's based on a numeric population.

Other games have done this in the past as well, so it's not that uncommon.  SWTOR was the most recent to do this before GW2, for instance.  Last time Arenanet fudged the ratings, fans defending the game saying it was correct, but everyone was in instances, which was funny:D

I would ignore people like this who like to think we live in some world where developers can get away with this. There has never been proof of this ever. The only thing they ever did in GW2 as far as server caps go, that anyone is aware of or can prove, is the removal of the cap on server population.

I second this comment. Op ignore the guy that has been called out twice now for what some would concider asanine remarks. The game is B2P so I am unsure why the devs would need to give anyone a moral booster to keep playing other than they want to. Also with the B2P model, all accounts are open so it would be a disaster to not have some sort of cap on the server population. Imagine if they classified them as all med or low to allow people the room to move about and then have an influx in returning players when new content comes out. It could be a disaster if populations inflated beyond what the server could handle. Or we could do like this guy and assume it is the Devs playing tricks to keep us subbing every month........ Another to go on the ignore list I guess.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by bcbully From what I hear, the population is concentrating on a 3 servers.    For what it's worth GW2's xfire numbers on march 21st were the lowest they've been since launch 7.1k hours played. That's about 3k hours less than last month, and about 1/3 of WoW.    Still nothing to sneeze at, but I have to wonder what the people who have been there since launch are still doing. Making alts?

TBH, log for daily (just in case), farm 2-3 dragon event (if have time), go out to play more fun game. Bored as hell from GW2 as anything you do or is same, or called farming, or just pointless. Not fun of condition dungeon w/o healer and group finder either.
    guess soon will give up and will visit it like 2-3 times per year as I do with GW1 (had great playtime for like 2 years non-stop and like 10-12 h per day, but got bored too).

All who claim it's a great game, please tell what is fun to do there? WvW? same stuff all long + cunning....

Yes you have been preaching this message for months now. Yet you still continue to come into this section and tell us all how bad the game is.  WTH is with some people? I am sure  we will see you again on the next topic with the same message so here's a /wave until then.

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

how can we tell you what is fun? maybe fun for someone is just running around colleting nodes all day. Maybe fun for someone is sitting in wayferer and throwing snowballs at those kids all day..  fun is obviously subjective.. I enjoy just leveling alts as end game stuff isn't much interest to me.. I dabble in WvW now and then and will try it more after the 26th. Game is probably one of the best themeparks made for leveling alts imho.. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

I appreciate all the responses, and I like the guesting idea to find a "better" server.  Also to note the reason I am not with my gw1 server was because they were based in the UK and with the servers at launch couldn't get over there.

With that said, does anyone know if their population tracker is based on characters or people online?  I just can't imagine that we're very high when I was running around like that.  Regardless, I do hope to get into the game more.  I just can't imagine why they didn't merge servers or try to get back to what GW1 was when the pop dipped (like every mmo does after launch).  Especially with a game focused on the community more in my opinion.  Oh well, sadly I missed the free transfer T.T 

The server analog population counts (low, medium, high, very high, full) are manipulated by devs / publishers to make people still playing the game feel as though the game is still very popular.  Kind of a morale booster I suppose.

ie, a Very High or Full rating when a game comes out means there are players everywhere (and with GW2 every single zone is in overflow), and later on that same rating means something lesser.  The rating is still useful for comparing server X to server Y though.  It's based on a numeric population.

Other games have done this in the past as well, so it's not that uncommon.  SWTOR was the most recent to do this before GW2, for instance.  Last time Arenanet fudged the ratings, fans defending the game saying it was correct, but everyone was in instances, which was funny:D

I would ignore people like this who like to think we live in some world where developers can get away with this. There has never been proof of this ever. The only thing they ever did in GW2 as far as server caps go, that anyone is aware of or can prove, is the removal of the cap on server population.

I second this comment. Op ignore the guy that has been called out twice now for what some would concider asanine remarks. The game is B2P so I am unsure why the devs would need to give anyone a moral booster to keep playing other than they want to. Also with the B2P model, all accounts are open so it would be a disaster to not have some sort of cap on the server population. Imagine if they classified them as all med or low to allow people the room to move about and then have an influx in returning players when new content comes out. It could be a disaster if populations inflated beyond what the server could handle. Or we could do like this guy and assume it is the Devs playing tricks to keep us subbing every month........ Another to go on the ignore list I guess.

Called out, eh?  I don't think so ...

(red): It's fine.  The next time I help a poster understand why their "very heavy" or "full" server is a ghost town outside of a couple social hubs, I'll get one less obtuse response to wade through.

The rationale for the conclusion was given, but I didn't expect some hardcore fans to use logic in discussions - only personal attacks, which you demonstrated perfectly.  So if you were trying to hurt my feelings, you were too predictable, and thus failed.

Something you missed in your hostile frenzy is that while GW2 is B2P, morale needs to be high so the remaining players continue to use the gem store, which is ArenaNet's bread and butter.  GW2 isn't alone, and it's the goal of any dev / publisher to keep spirits up, any way they can .. even beyond basic PR.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    The top 3 servers are doing well. If you aren't on them then yes the population isn't great. But with guesting you can work around it.
    Been playing HOTS so haven't checked the last two three weeks but can't imagine a huge change within that time period

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Called out, eh?  I don't think so ...

(red): It's fine.  The next time I help a poster understand why their "very heavy" or "full" server is a ghost town outside of a couple social hubs, I'll get one less obtuse response to wade through.

The rationale for the conclusion was given, but I didn't expect hardcore fans to use logic in discussions - only personal attacks, which you demonstrated perfectly.  So if you were trying to hurt my feelings, you were too predictable, and thus failed.

Something you missed in your hostile frenzy is that while GW2 is B2P, morale needs to be high so the remaining players continue to use the gem store, which is ArenaNet's bread and butter.  GW2 isn't alone, and it's the goal of any dev / publisher to keep spirits up, any way they can .. even beyond basic PR.

LOL at the part in red... is that what you did? Like I said in the first post, you didn't anser the OP, you used it as a chance to attack the game. Calling me a hardcore fan is a bit of a stretch actually. The game has it's share of flaws and I am not a huge fan of a lot of it's systems so no need to make that assumption and use it as a way to downplay anything I say as if it is something that is merely a personal attack in defence of the game. There was no presonal attack, I only called your comment asinine, which I find it is. Adding you to my ignore list is not to "hurt your feelings" because I don't know you and my responces aren't on a personal level. I'd rather ignore your ignorant comments rather than get a warning from a mod. BTW, calling your comments ignorant is also not a personal attack as it seems you made them off of baseless assumptions.

As to the second comment, once again you pulled another out of thin air. I wasn't aware they released any earning reports stating where exactly their earnings came from. While nobody is claiming that Anet isn't hoping to make a profit from the gem store, I find it  apretty far stretch to beleive they are trying to lie to the playebase about population levels just to keep us spending on gems. TBH, I have not seen what the server pop says since I rolled my first character on opening day because I don't see it nore do I take it as the end all proof of population levels, I use my own judgement by what I see in game for that. Before you call anything a "hostile frenzy" go back to my first post calling you out and re-read this one. Hardly a frenzy.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

The fullness of a server is a load of crap. I really enjoyed the game for awhile, and still think it s ok. That said, I was on Sorrows Furnace, logged in , and it said very heavy. I thought ok I ll get some decent WvW action, nope, dead, next to nothing. Ok, well off to pve,  more people then in WvW, but not by much. Ok , lets make try out and see if the starter areas are busy. Made and deleted a new char in each starter zone, ran around a bit to see if I run itno any, All of them were pretty damn barren.

This happens all the time, the amount of people, on the server list is a load. Anyone that says it isn t like that, is completely blind.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    There's always people still.  Most are just busy doing things such as dailies, dungeons, exploring, etc.   As mentioned, just use guesting for different servers, then scope it out, and if you can, transfer to them.
    Originally posted by Soki123

The fullness of a server is a load of crap. I really enjoyed the game for awhile, and still think it s ok. That said, I was on Sorrows Furnace, logged in , and it said very heavy. I thought ok I ll get some decent WvW action, nope, dead, next to nothing. Ok, well off to pve,  more people then in WvW, but not by much. Ok , lets make try out and see if the starter areas are busy. Made and deleted a new char in each starter zone, ran around a bit to see if I run itno any, All of them were pretty damn barren.

This happens all the time, the amount of people, on the server list is a load. Anyone that says it isn t like that, is completely blind.

I decided to take you up on that comment and log in. Right as I popped in there were 2 others runnign around.

Nearby the champion troll was up so I tagged along and we took it down. This is without even moving through the area, only where I logged in. Knowing this is the Sylvari starting area which is one of the least popular. I decided to switch to a character and go to Queensdale.

Heres one where I am in Queensdale just passing by. Plenty of people doing the event.

I don't argue population sizes, especially regarding other servers. I see plenty of people on Dragonsbrand all the time and this isn't even mentioned as one of the top servers. I am aware that seeing 2-3 other people isn't a lot of players, but this was done at midnight (notice the timestamps) on a monday morning without even trying to find others. I could waypoint to any world boss, or popular event and you'd see a lot of people there but that is a bad example because people guest and farm them all the time so I thought I would keep it simple and dispute the claims specifically by the guy I quoted. Hope this helps to alleviate some of the confusion. I don't argue server size but I can show proof that the areas are not barren. Now the mid to high level areas are another story all together lol.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

So you make an unsubstantiated claim without having actual evidence to support it and are met with an unsubstantiated response that also lacks any actual evidence.  You then use the apparently self-evident absurdity of this later claim as further proof of your initial claim.  

Don't you find that funny?

To recap:

Speculation A is met with Speculation B.  

The obvious absurdity of Speculation B therefore proves Speculation A?

I must have missed this proof in logic class.  

Originally posted by Homitu

The 'server pop' status is actually un-reliable as ANet stated that server pop is based upon player's home server.

I can be from SoR but even if I'm guesting on TC, it'll count me as SoR server pop.

For anyone considering getting GW2, the top 3 are Tarnished Coast (the #1), Sea of Sorrows and Aurora Glade (For EU).

Or just guest on those 3.

I have to say, TC are not too-friendly to guesters as us filthy guesters 'took our jerbs!! (i mean chest / dragon / unicorn / plants vs zombies)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Heya, gw2 is till alive and kicking. According to guys in ANET, people that were overhyped left early after release and now community is pretty stable, very slowly rising. As for servers, you should probably ask yourself what you want to do. For example Ring of Fire is very populated server, but most people like PvE and we suck in WvW big time (at this time anyway).

As for transfering, there is one more option. You can guest on server you want without changing your home server. I'm not exactly sure about all the implications, you definitely can't go to wvw defending any other than your home server, but apart from that, it seems all works fine (you can even join a guild on different server).

They removed free transfering because of WvW... there was too much griefing and "exploiting" because people could hop between servers without big problems.

Originally posted by Kaleston

Heya, gw2 is till alive and kicking. According to guys in ANET, people that were overhyped left early after release and now community is pretty stable, very slowly rising. As for servers, you should probably ask yourself what you want to do. For example Ring of Fire is very populated server, but most people like PvE and we suck in WvW big time (at this time anyway).

As for transfering, there is one more option. You can guest on server you want without changing your home server. I'm not exactly sure about all the implications, you definitely can't go to wvw defending any other than your home server, but apart from that, it seems all works fine (you can even join a guild on different server).

They removed free transfering because of WvW... there was too much griefing and "exploiting" because people could hop between servers without big problems.

You are at a disadvantage if you are guesting. Your WvW bonuses do not apply and I think your guild perks as well.

And while I guested on Ring of Fire, I found that it was pretty barren in the 30+ level zones. Although that's true for every server except TC.

Gdemami -

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

And I should believe you why? How do you know this stuff? Or are you just guessing?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by fivoroth

And I should believe you why? How do you know this stuff? Or are you just guessing?

When a genre is filled with games that don't reach the financial expectations, it is easy to guess a game of that genre will fail.

The problem is when  a game actual meet or surpass the financial goals.

You have no server merges, no people getting fired, etc.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

When a genre is filled with games that don't reach the financial expectations, it is easy to guess a game of that genre will fail.

The problem is when  a game actual meet or surpass the financial goals.

You have no server merges, no people getting fired, etc.

ArenaNET are actually recruiting people for Guild Wars 2. Strange behavior for a failing game, don't you think? ;-)

This ^

Also lol @ guy claiming that he is "helping" the OP by just blatantly using his question as an uninformed way to attack the game. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

It's funny people claiming that GW2 is empty.  With that logic, so is WoW.  Go make a new character on a realm and you'll see.  Servers listed as New Players don't count either, since they are funneled there.

It's a known fact that starter zones tend to be less populated after the initial hype, and even so, this isn't even the case in GW2.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by observer

It's funny people claiming that GW2 is empty.  With that logic, so is WoW.  Go make a new character on a realm and you'll see.  Servers listed as New Players don't count either, since they are funneled there.

It's a known fact that starter zones tend to be less populated after the initial hype, and even so, this isn't even the case in GW2.

The problem for me with GW2 was.. gw2 spvp and wvw are for example made to work with a certain minimal amount for it to be succesfull... atm gw2 does usually not reach amount for spvp and wvw.

I am always totally focussed on PvP so having 1 hour+ paid tournament Ques after ive finally convinced people to make a paid tournament team .. just screwed it over for me

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED