Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Thieves/DBrotherhood/Raids at launch, why the beta delay?

hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

If it was being delayed for content you could understand.. But the public closed beta isnt coming at the end of the month? What for? Yes, we already know its in friends and family stage, but they sounded very confident the beta invites were going out at the end of this month but apparently we might not even be close.

"Cheat Code Central’s Jake Valentine got a chance to sit down with Matt Firor, the president of ZeniMax Online, at PAX East this afternoon. Firor is probably most well known for his work on Dark Age of Camelot, but his company is currently heading up the development for Elder Scrolls: Online.

A few months ago, ZeniMax began allowing players to sign up for the title’s upcoming beta, but when asked about the timing, Firor indicated that the beta would not be launched in the near future. "It's a big game," he said. "So we want to take our time."

Comments

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Well, in such huge projects a thousand different things can necessitate a delay in any stage of development... It's not like raids and factions are the only man-hour sinks there; just your usual content and the basic mechanics themselves would suffice to set you back.

You know what they say, the devil's in the delays. :P

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Nikopol

Well, in such huge projects a thousand different things can necessitate a delay in any stage of development... It's not like raids and factions are the only man-hour sinks there; just your usual content and the basic mechanics themselves would suffice to set you back.

Why havent they even made a public statement yet or a simple tweet about the delay to beta? I mean, it's the least they can do. A lot of people are anxious to play the beta to see the game. It would take them 1 minute to pull out their phone, say "Sorry we cannot send out invites to the public closed beta at the end of March like we wanted" and move along.. The end of March is a week.. They planning to publicly drop the news on the 31st? Hope no one notices in April? Lol.

Yes, I know things can go wrong, but they're being so quiet about it -- Which is weird, since we're hearing the same info about the game 1000x over in a couple week span of several videos/PAX East/Interviews/etc, and keep saying "We dont want to talk about the game, WE WANT PEOPLE TO BE PLAYING IT"

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by hMJem

If it was being delayed for content you could understand.. But the public closed beta isnt coming at the end of the month? What for? Yes, we already know its in friends and family stage, but they sounded very confident the beta invites were going out at the end of this month but apparently we might not even be close.

"Cheat Code Central’s Jake Valentine got a chance to sit down with Matt Firor, the president of ZeniMax Online, at PAX East this afternoon. Firor is probably most well known for his work on Dark Age of Camelot, but his company is currently heading up the development for Elder Scrolls: Online.

A few months ago, ZeniMax began allowing players to sign up for the title’s upcoming beta, but when asked about the timing, Firor indicated that the beta would not be launched in the near future. "It's a big game," he said. "So we want to take our time."

Actually the beta delay isn't true, clarion call spoke to zenimax (including matt firor) last night and they confirmed beta invites are still planned for the end of the month (they streamed a q&a last night), the "take our time" comment was more than likely talking about the fact that they are starting the beta with a small amount and ramping it up as they go and by the end of summer they will have enough in that they can stress test and test the ava

Originally posted by deakon

Actually the beta delay isn't true, clarion call spoke to zenimax (including matt firor) last night and they confirmed beta invites are still planned for the end of the month (they streamed a q&a last night), the "take our time" comment was more than likely talking about the fact that they are starting the beta with a small amount and ramping it up as they go and by the end of summer they will have enough in that they can stress test and test the ava

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification. I wonder how the translation went wrong with the quote though -- Because when you read the quote it sounds like its directly referring to the upcoming beta, not an open beta. Maybe theyre a website wantings hits though. My bad for this thread then :P

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

.@Op, you really miss the point of a beta, it's not for your enjoyment, it's for bug-hunts.

If all testers would be like you, we would have a huge pile of bug-ridden games at launch... oh... wait...

And if they need to delay the testing until some stuff gets sorted out, they know better than you or me. And as far as I know, they didn't put a specific date on the testing (and I want to stress TESTING, not early playing).

Originally posted by BTrayaL

.@Op, you really miss the point of a beta, it's not for your enjoyment, it's for bug-hunts.

If all testers would be like you, we would have a huge pile of bug-ridden games at launch... oh... wait...

And if they need to delay the testing until some stuff gets sorted out, they know better than you or me. And as far as I know, they didn't put a specific date on the testing (and I want to stress TESTING, not early playing).

Implying I havent beta tested ~10 major games and contributed with bugs I've found.

A big part of beta is providing your enjoyment factor. If everyone who played the beta disliked the game strongly, that would be a problem TESO would want to know about. The first post on when you played a beta should be "I either did or did not enjoy what I played, and these are reasons why" Then below post with bugs you found or noticed or things that didnt make sense to you.

They did put a specific date though. Saying "The end of March invites will go out" is pretty specific, but a previous poster already clarified.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Also, keep in mind that delayed/limited/slow beta can also be for bugs and features they are not neccessarily willing to expose opinionated mmo nerds to(that is not a derogatory term,btw. I am one myself.) Sometimes they need us for ironing out the kinks and when something is more than a kink they might not want to make it public knowledge and thus color the image of the game too early.

I trust Matt. He knows this formula. He was a big part of, at the time, probably the most polished at-launch mmorpgs ever.

Polished I am confident of. Good? TBA, obviously, but I am hoping so!
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

What we have learned from WoW, is that many things have been added after release and in expansion packs... but somehow the most important features, like hero classes never made it to the game  despite being plannned.

Thiefs guild was stated as not being in current beta, but scheduled to be in before release.

Dbrotherhood is scheduled to be in before release, but they did not state if it will be a player faction or an NPC faction

Raids will be added after release, which sounds like a good plan to me from the start... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

What we have learned from WoW, is that many things have been added after release and in expansion packs... but somehow the most important features, like hero classes never made it to the game  despite being plannned.

Thiefs guild was stated as not being in current beta, but scheduled to be in before release.

Dbrotherhood is scheduled to be in before release, but they did not state if it will be a player faction or an NPC faction

Raids will be added after release, which sounds like a good plan to me from the start... 

Death Knight was the only hero class Blizzard has wanted in WoW. Hero classes really shouldnt be apart of the game though, but was definitely a marketing factor in the WOTLK expansion.

Yeah, all the games that have started off recently with no end-game have faired really well..

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119

Why havent they even made a public statement yet or a simple tweet about the delay to beta? I mean, it's the least they can do. A lot of people are anxious to play the beta to see the game. It would take them 1 minute to pull out their phone, say "Sorry we cannot send out invites to the public closed beta at the end of March like we wanted" and move along.. The end of March is a week.. They planning to publicly drop the news on the 31st? Hope no one notices in April? Lol.

Yes, I know things can go wrong, but they're being so quiet about it -- Which is weird, since we're hearing the same info about the game 1000x over in a couple week span of several videos/PAX East/Interviews/etc, and keep saying "We dont want to talk about the game, WE WANT PEOPLE TO BE PLAYING IT"

Wow, you got to be kidding me.  They don't owe us anything. They don't have to have an open BETA.  The MMO community is too entitled today. Sit tight and they will open BETA when it's ready. I want this game just as bad as everyone else but you can't rush game development. Sit back and have a beer... Cheers!  

Originally posted by LordSneerg

Wow, you got to be kidding me.  They don't owe us anything. They don't have to have an open BETA.  The MMO community is too entitled today. Sit tight and they will open BETA when it's ready. I want this game just as bad as everyone else but you can't rush game development. Sit back and have a beer... Cheers!  

I wasn't asking for open beta. Read again, and read the thread comments please. We already had this resolved, and you clearly dont understand what public closed beta means. The game is currently in friends & family beta. Then it shifts to the closed beta where limited invites are sent out. Then they over time send out more and more before finally holding an open beta to stress test/give people almost a demo of the game.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Maybe they realised that TESO is nothing like the Elder Scrolls games and thought they better fix that.....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Death Knight was the only hero class Blizzard has wanted in WoW. Hero classes really shouldnt be apart of the game though, but was definitely a marketing factor in the WOTLK expansion.

Yeah, all the games that have started off recently with no end-game have faired really well..

Hero classes where meant as a kind of AA system and in such a way where never added to the game.  

And to your 2 nd remarl, having no raids does not mean the same as having no endgame. All dungeons visited through the game will have an endgame version, on top of that there are 2 full continets as solo pve endgame, and then there is PvP endgame.  That should be enough to keep everyone busy till they get time to push their first raid dungeon or prsent raid versions of the allread known dungeons

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Hero classes where meant as a kind of AA system and in such a way where never added to the game.  

And to your 2 nd remarl, having no raids does not mean the same as having no endgame. All dungeons visited through the game will have an endgame version, on top of that there are 2 full continets as solo pve endgame, and then there is PvP endgame.  That should be enough to keep everyone busy till they get time to push their first raid dungeon or prsent raid versions of the allread known dungeons

From what we've been told, crafting gives the best gear in the game, while dungeons give "good" gear that crafting can improve it to be even better than it was as its normal drop.

End-Game needs progression. Not "entertain yourself for a year" Those games have proved to fail compare to expectations. There has to be incentive.

• triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39

i dont think they got time to tell the public on hows its going. just let them do their job.if they start rushing it then its going to  turn out like crap. and i have big hopes on this one. i wish it would come out now just as much as the next guy

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by LordSneerg

A triple-A MMO launch kinda does - simply because so many others have done it.

It's needed as much for marketing as bug-stomping, and would arouse supsicion in the more vocal client-base if they didn't do it...

... damned if you do and damned if you don't...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

saarcasm?....

tell me one game that launched with what you call end game and have faired really well.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    No way this game gonna see release in 2013 :) Reports from PAX saying the game is just a generic mmo wont help it eighter I suppose.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    If the devs are going to add anything it better be fun and polished. Why rush something thats not worth playing just so you can say, its in the game. That would also be at the cost of devs time to make whats in the game polished enough we as players would not @#&;$ all over it because its sub-par. Better off they dont run out of development money to launch before what they have currdntly is polished. I just hope they have enough to keep a population happy and can float the game to bring in the new stuff we want. You only get one launch.
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Im sure we are going to start hearing more about the beta come this next week. Of course they arent going to send invites out during PAX, they are all there with people who are getting thier hands on it. They will take feedback from PAX, and start with the smaller beta events, and slowly ramp up to more and more people implementing changes as they go. 

It would be naive to think we would hear something during an event like PAX when the whole team is there showing off the game. But I have no doubts this next week will see at least the announcement that invites are being sent. They did say they would give warning ahead of time so people can start checking SPAM folders too.