Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: A Hard Look at Trion’s Gamble

Comments

• patx6xpatx6x Member UncommonPosts: 11

they have to put an option for FpS view because Third view is the worst thing for PC player XD

but overall i like the fact they dont put an easy noob tutorial i like to have search by myself how thing work on this game.

BUT i agree they have still some work to on the game for be really nice 

today the greedy minding of people make game generaly low life

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

Linear? Firefall has about 10 quests total.

I am play9ing on the PC version and for the most part have few problems with theUI. My biggest problem is no way to hotkey changing between loadouts.

I kindof skipped a lot of side quests while following the main quest so I don't know if some of the difficulties I had were from lack of gear and ego points.

Over all I think it is good enough for a box purchase and play time until ESO comes out.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    This game is absolutely going nowhere.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by trash656
    This is a boring, linear MMO. Firefall has more to offer.

Im guessing you either a) dont know what the word linear actually means or b) havent even played the game. Possibly both.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    There is a player vs player..."shadow wars" component to the game. I sure would like to hear more about that feature...strength..and weakensses.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

Edit:  decided it is not worth pointing out the hypocrisy to the person.

Addressing the games graphics, even in the screenshot you showed me there you can see the horribly blurry textures all over the ground, the vehicle, basically everything but the player character, and even that is not very well done.  Rift had very superior texturework to that, so we know trion can do it.  I am hoping highres textures were taken out of the game for the beta (it has been done before), but I have a feeling this is more consolization.

• dragonherderdragonherder Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by metalguy23

Game is terrible just spent about 4 hours playing and I shook my head the whole time, everything from the gun sounds to the bad AI mob sounds no environment sounds at all. Just really bad game, felt like it was made from a small amateur dev which is surprising. I don't know I need more excitement in a third person shooter type of game. Quests are horribly boring, voices, sounds just not well made, graphics are okay though not bad not great. Oh and UI is terrible how do you exit the game I had to alt tab in windows 8 and quit the process lol. I'm sorry I liked Rift and I do wish Trion the best but I don't like it so not spending the money on this one. Oh well back to single player games I guess. Waiting for something game changing and exciting.

Yeah..... good luck with that one really. There haven't been game changing games in about a decade. Graphics and controls have gotten tighter but story etc has gotten far worse and no one takes any risks.

Originally posted by Baitness
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Im guessing you either a) dont know what the word linear actually means or b) havent even played the game. Possibly both.

I don't think you have been reading about the game.  It is so linear that in that video the trion dev touts it as a "feature."  Says something alone the lines of "people around you will always be doing the same quest."  As you progress through the zones, you do not go back.  The extent of non-linear content in the game is the arkfalls, which seem like a baby brother of rift's invasions.

Either a) you dont know what the word linear actually means or b) havent even been paying attention.

Possibly both.

The story line is linear... Hey it's a story line every single story line is linear. new missions pop up in older zones here and there quite often so its not just "move on" you can go back and try your hand at challenges, contracts etc then too.

Originally posted by patx6x

they have to put an option for FpS view because Third view is the worst thing for PC player XD

but overall i like the fact they dont put an easy noob tutorial i like to have search by myself how thing work on this game.

BUT i agree they have still some work to on the game for be really nice 

today the greedy minding of people make game generaly low life

first person view is terrible for this sort of game when set in a massive world. Scopes give you a first person view and all. The problem with the first person views there is 0 connection to the character. People talk about immersion and all but a lot of mmo players want to actually see their characters. Shooter fans don't seem to care as much but yeah..

Addressing the games graphics, even in the screenshot you showed me there you can see the horribly blurry textures all over the ground, the vehicle, basically everything but the player character, and even that is not very well done.  Rift had very superior texturework to that, so we know trion can do it.  I am hoping highres textures were taken out of the game for the beta (it has been done before), but I have a feeling this is more consolization.

Ok let's go into what you said honestly.... The character visually while not "the best" is still quite well done. Rift had "problems" too early on. Also in Rift have you ever actually looked at the ground? The characters in Rift aren't much better looking then Defiance if at all and also I can tell you from having played both Defiance is optimized a hell of a lot better for when there are a bunch of people around compared to what rift did. As far as not being worth pointing out my "hypocrisy" i've never stated anything that was actually hypocritical. I don't think graphics in an MMO are an all important thing. I understand why they are the way they are and why they progress a hell of a lot slower than single player games do. People saying the story is bland I don't think have played or listened to much going on and the voice acting while not "perfect" all the time isn't half bad (i've seen far worse dialogue in my MMORPG career) 

I will say this to all the doom and gloom type folks out there with gaming in general... Have fun being cinical pricks when it comes to games. I go into each game with a fresh mind and play it for what it is something to get enjoyment out of. I don't sit there "ho hum what can i find wrong with this game, what game should I try to compare it too, the only reason I ever bring up other games in relation to a game is the general public tend to be like "well what game is it like" Just learn to play games for yourself and not rely on reviews or rather pixelated videos of Alpha/Beta footage.. 

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by dragonherder

Ok let's go into what you said honestly.... The character visually while not "the best" is still quite well done. Rift had "problems" too early on. Also in Rift have you ever actually looked at the ground? The characters in Rift aren't much better looking then Defiance if at all and also I can tell you from having played both Defiance is optimized a hell of a lot better for when there are a bunch of people around compared to what rift did. As far as not being worth pointing out my "hypocrisy" i've never stated anything that was actually hypocritical. I don't think graphics in an MMO are an all important thing. I understand why they are the way they are and why they progress a hell of a lot slower than single player games do. People saying the story is bland I don't think have played or listened to much going on and the voice acting while not "perfect" all the time isn't half bad (i've seen far worse dialogue in my MMORPG career) 

I will say this to all the doom and gloom type folks out there with gaming in general... Have funy being cinical pricks when it comes to games. I go into each game with a fresh mind and play it for what it is something to get enjoyment out of. I don't sit there "ho hum what can i find wrong with this game, what game should I try to compare it too, the only reason I ever bring up other games in relation to a game is the general public tend to be like "well what game is it like" Just learn to play games for yourself and not rely on reviews or rather pixelated videos of Alpha/Beta footage.. 

Great way of thinking and how I approach every game. The MMO players and gamers in general are some of the most negative over critical people I have ever seen lol. Life is to short, I play games to have fun and if I'm not having fun I move on to another game.

As to the topic of Defiance I find the game very entertaining and will probably purchase it at launch or soon after. It seems to be a game I can jump in and out of wether I want a few hours or a few minutes of MMOFPS fun. As for the longevity of the game we will see how that goes, seems to be an issue with a lot of games these days.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I forgot to mention earlier, but I disagree with the OP about the in-game music because I think it fits pretty good. Besides, I think it is kind of reaching for a reason to not like a game when someone starts picking on something like background music. 

As far as the longevity of Defiance goes, MMO-shooter concept didn't work well for MAG since it got shutdown. More recently Planetside 2 isn't doing much better considering it hasn't been out very long at all and already having to do server merges. Defiance, imo will have to add more than just 'run & gun' content if it wants to do any better than the previous attempts at MMO-shooter IPs by other companies. 

I don't think you have been reading about the game.  It is so linear that in that video the trion dev touts it as a "feature."  Says something alone the lines of "people around you will always be doing the same quest."  As you progress through the zones, you do not go back.  The extent of non-linear content in the game is the arkfalls, which seem like a baby brother of rift's invasions.

Either a) you dont know what the word linear actually means or b) havent even been paying attention.

Possibly both.

The story line is linear... Hey it's a story line every single story line is linear. new missions pop up in older zones here and there quite often so its not just "move on" you can go back and try your hand at challenges, contracts etc then too.

Exactly. The story, as with any story, is linear. Aside from that, youre pretty much free to do as you please and arent forced into 1 specific path or task in order to progress. You can run any of the various co-ops, run side missions in various places, repeat challenges trying to improve your scores, focus on hunting arkfalls, focus on the minor events that appear around the world as youre travelling, focus on pvp matches & shadow wars, etc. Any of those things will continue advancing your character. Hell you could even just pick a spot with a type of mob you want to fight and just farm them over and over to rank up your skill in a particular weapon type. There is also a contract system which often sends you back to previous played areas to complete tasks for completion of the contracts and gaining of reputation with the different factions.

BTW Baitness. Ive been playing in Alpha for a few months, as well as the betas. I dont need to read about the game to learn how it works when Im experiencing it for myself and know for a fact that the overall gameplay is not very linear.

• NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197
    took me good 10mins find the logout :P wtF??? fix the UI and the game manu in general...make it more pc friendly, other than that i love it!

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

The game is very linear.  The arkfalls don't even do enough to break up the linearity.  You will be stuck in just the last zone doing a couple dailies thinking "wow, this is worse than stillmoore."  If you enjoy that then more power to you, but I bet you would enjoy it more if trion had gotten more creative with their content.

Edit:  Also what you described is exactly the definition of linear, because you can choose to do a side quest does not make it not linear.  If there were big side quest chains, or maybe different things happening at different times in the zones, or maybe earlier areas having incentives to go back, that would not be linear.  A single sidequest in this linear game is as if you drew a line, paused for a moment, then kept drawing the same line.

You still won't ever be going back and will end up shoehorned into a small area at the end of the game.  GW2 did something about this with player de-levelling.  Rift did something about this with invasions.  Considering this game doesn't have a regular levelling system there is no reason for them to not just make all zones equally relevant at all times.

I hope trion expands on the arkfall thing, or rather compliments it with something else, because I can't see people logging in time after time for a game that doesn't meet either mmo or shooter basic standards.  There needs to be something more to it, the hook of "there are more people than in a normal shooter" is not cutting it .

All this is coming from a big fan of trion btw.  I can't believe the people that made rift are going to release this game in its current state.  I really hope the game does well but on the PC market they are dropping the ball.  I was hoping this game was going to have better preorders because on steam it comes with storm legion if enough people order it, and I was looking to get back into rift.  It seemed like a nice idea to get trions newest game on the side as a bonus.  I still hope they can clean it up quickly, nice textures, a pc ui, and some good old trion updates.  I am just not optimistic anymore.

Edit 2:  Removed a line I shouldn't have put in.

I will say this to all the doom and gloom type folks out there with gaming in general... Have fun being cinical pricks when it comes to games. I go into each game with a fresh mind and play it for what it is something to get enjoyment out of. I don't sit there "ho hum what can i find wrong with this game, what game should I try to compare it too, the only reason I ever bring up other games in relation to a game is the general public tend to be like "well what game is it like" Just learn to play games for yourself and not rely on reviews or rather pixelated videos of Alpha/Beta footage.. 

dragonherder sorry for the misunderstanding but you were not who I was referencing to with hypocrisy.  This game is definitely optimized far far far far far better than rift was at launch and hell better than they can ever hope to get it fixed up.  That is great.  I really don't like the lack of detail in the textures and I think rifts were better so hopefully theres higher res textures waiting for the full release.

Edit:  Im being a bit of a jerk tonight so I took out an uncessary line.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by ciid
    Do not buy this shit. It will be free to play or dead in less then 6 months. With the exception of the main story line wich is not a good story you will spend 95% of the time doing the blandest fetch/kill quests mowing down  the same 10 npcs over and over. If you are intrested in the game and must try it please try the beta first. There are way to many good games out there that deserve your time and money over this pile of poop.

BUY TO PLAY, no sub idiot, just like Guild Wars 2. There are challenges that people try to top other with and reap rewards from no matter how many times you do them. Lots of random encounters as well. My guess is that you probably played for less than 30 min if you were in beta at all. I've seen this same kinda crap spewed about games that are 3+ years old, just because the person did'nt know how to play in the first place. It's not a typical MMO, is a persistant shooter. Think COD Black Ops 2 on an MMO scale. Only gripe I have has been the same as many, the UI.

The game is very linear.  The arkfalls don't even do enough to break up the linearity.  You will be stuck in just the last zone doing a couple dailies thinking "wow, this is worse than stillmoore."  If you enjoy that then more power to you, but I bet you would enjoy it more if trion had gotten more creative with their content.

Edit:  Also what you described is exactly the definition of linear, because you can choose to do a side quest does not make it not linear.  If there were big side quest chains, or maybe different things happening at different times in the zones, or maybe earlier areas having incentives to go back, that would not be linear.  A single sidequest in this linear game is as if you drew a line, paused for a moment, then kept drawing the same line.

You still won't ever be going back and will end up shoehorned into a small area at the end of the game.  GW2 did something about this with player de-levelling.  Rift did something about this with invasions.  Considering this game doesn't have a regular levelling system there is no reason for them to not just make all zones equally relevant at all times.

I hope trion expands on the arkfall thing, or rather compliments it with something else, because I can't see people logging in time after time for a game that doesn't meet either mmo or shooter basic standards.  There needs to be something more to it, the hook of "there are more people than in a normal shooter" is not cutting it .

All this is coming from a big fan of trion btw.  I can't believe the people that made rift are going to release this game in its current state.  I really hope the game does well but on the PC market they are dropping the ball.  I was hoping this game was going to have better preorders because on steam it comes with storm legion if enough people order it, and I was looking to get back into rift.  It seemed like a nice idea to get trions newest game on the side as a bonus.  I still hope they can clean it up quickly, nice textures, a pc ui, and some good old trion updates.  I am just not optimistic anymore.

Edit 2:  Removed a line I shouldn't have put in.

1) Dailies do not take place in just the last zone. They take place in all areas of the game. Even after completing the storyline you will still be going back to the earlier zones to complete the dailies. As an example, there is a daily to collect items from killing Raider Blasters on farms. Raider blasters do not exist in San Fran. Neither do farms. How exactly are you going to do that daily "stuck in the last zone"? The dailies also change daily. You wont have the same task 2 days in a row. So each day you login you will be going to different places killing different things to complete them.

2) Much of the same remains true for weekly contracts also.

3) I already have gone and will continue to go back to earlier areas. I was never shoehorned into an area except to complete the storyline. The game has a near horizontal progression system, granting you small bonuses here and there through increased perks, but nothing similar to the power gap you would see in an MMORPG. Things like loot drops are based on your own EGO rating, not the area you are in. At 1K ego, I can still go back to Mt. Tam and kill mutants for weapons that have a 1k rating. The rating on the weapons do not impact their base stats (at least as of the last time I played Alpha before going on vacation). Due to this type of system, all zones are by default relevant like you stated. They dont need down leveling, because levels have a very tiny impact on your actual power.

4) Tied in with #3, things like Arkfalls, both major and minor, are constantly happening all over the map in every zone. You mnight be in San Fran doing a Majror Arkfall 1 minute, then as soon a sthat ones done you spot anothe rpopping up back in Mt. Tam and fast travel back there to participate in that one too. The rewards will be similar, regardless of if youre in the starter zone or the final zone, because again it is based on your own EGO rating. You wont say "Oh man. Theres only an Arkfall in Mt. Tam. Its not worth going there to do because Im too high for that zone"

5) While many of the side missions are little more than a pitstop along the way, there are also several series of side missions which are split into multiple parts and can in some cases take a couple of hours to complete each series.

You really sound as if youre getting most of your information from either faulty sources, or are simply misinterpreting information given by reliable sources. As I said before, I have been playing the game for awhile now. I'd estimate around 400 hours, possibly a bit more. Not just a few hours on a couple of weekends like many of the posters here. Aside from the main storyline, and a few milestones that you need to hit to access certain things along the way (like needing X EGO to access X co-op map), the game is very non-linear. Even once you reach those milestones, the previous content does not become irrelevant. I still find myself also going back and running the first few co-ops from time to time just for the hell of it since after all, the rewards are still just as relevant as the rewards I get from the co-ops requiring a higher ego rating. Certain side missions in the earlier zones were also quite fun to do and I will go hit some of them up every once in awhile just for fun and it isnt a waste of time because Im still getting the same rewards I would be in the later areas.

Perhaps the game might seem more linear to some if they focus on one aspect of the game rather than doing all, or at least most, of what there is available to do. Personally Ive been going about dabbling at least a bit in every aspect from PvPing as much as I can, completing the main story, completing all side missions, completing as many pursuits as possible, completing dailies every day, running co-ops as much as possible when I cant get into or get bored with PvP, and even repeatedly doing challanges trying to improve my score. 

A truly linear game would not allow me to do those things. I would only have 1 pass through of each area without the ability to return to previous areas and still benefit.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Robbgobb

Game went off my radar when I saw there is a store and a content pass. I have to check games now to see if the game is going to cost me $100 for the first year to play everything. BF3 was not so bad because of the packs so far away from each other but when I need to spend $60 for the game but told that it is not all there (if they are planning content that needs to be paid for then that is part of the game) then why should I buy it? I will just wait until it is cheap. I remember the expansions for EQ and DAoC and was happy to pay to get them as they were so far apart. Seems like that time is getting shorter and shorter for some. 

Wish Defiance luck though with the tv show and game working well together.

So you would rather have new content less frequently? You can just wait to buy it lol. Games develope beyond the initial launch now because people consume the content so fast. You're still getting a full game they just plan ahead. I'm sure EQ was working on Ruins of Kunark already when the game launched though.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I hope Trion does well with this; I hope they're not overextending. They did well with Rift and have some great ideas. 
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

look guys weve all played a gizillion mmos and we can be harsh to new mmos when we try things out-that said there are also a tons of new mmo players and reviewing on your jaded experience isnt what betas are all about so.

is Defiance a' new revolutionary ever changing fantasy mmo'?-no.

is it a 'sanbox fun filled apacoliptic shooter mmo?-yes.

taking that to account it maynot be your cup of tea and you will always be comparing it to that favorite game in the back of your head- but for what it is-it does it well  and that is having a good time while playing it.

will i be playing it at release date?- yes. will i also be playing other mmos?-yes.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by orbitxo

look guys weve all played a gizillion mmos and we can be harsh to new mmos when we try things out-that said there are also a tons of new mmo players and reviewing on your jaded experience isnt what betas are all about so. is Defiance a' new revolutionary ever changing fantasy mmo'?-no.is it a 'sanbox fun filled apacoliptic shooter mmo?-yes. taking that to account it maynot be your cup of tea and you will always be comparing it to that favorite game in the back of your head- but for what it is-it does it well  and that is having a good time while playing it. will i be playing it at release date?- yes. will i also be playing other mmos?-yes.

This thing can only be called "sandbox" by the most liberal definitions, and even then it is not really accurate. Non-linear is perhaps a better word. Where is the crafting? The non-combat activities? The player inter-dependency? Mining/harvesting/hunting for resources? None of that in defiance. IT is not even really an MMO, just a large single player game in shared space. No real need for other people, for most of the game.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Burntvet

look guys weve all played a gizillion mmos and we can be harsh to new mmos when we try things out-that said there are also a tons of new mmo players and reviewing on your jaded experience isnt what betas are all about so.

taking that to account it maynot be your cup of tea and you will always be comparing it to that favorite game in the back of your head- but for what it is-it does it well  and that is having a good time while playing it.

will i be playing it at release date?- yes. will i also be playing other mmos?-yes.

This thing can only be called "sandbox" by the most liberal definitions, and even then it is not really accurate. Non-linear is perhaps a better word. Where is the crafting? The non-combat activities? The player inter-dependency? Mining/harvesting/hunting for resources? None of that in defiance. IT is not even really an MMO, just a large single player game in shared space. No real need for other people, for most of the game.

-there. a great example of someone comparing it to their 'favorite' mmo game. and becouse it dosent have their niche -to them its not a good 'sandbox' game.

and thats ok. dont play it.  go post on your favorite game forum and give them constructive advice on what your game lacks.

and for the record?- Mining/harvesting/hunting-its not a 'sandbox'- to me-its dounting..i have a fulltime job. ty.

<.<
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

look guys weve all played a gizillion mmos and we can be harsh to new mmos when we try things out-that said there are also a tons of new mmo players and reviewing on your jaded experience isnt what betas are all about so.   is Defiance a' new revolutionary ever changing fantasy mmo'?-no. is it a 'sanbox fun filled apacoliptic shooter mmo?-yes.   taking that to account it maynot be your cup of tea and you will always be comparing it to that favorite game in the back of your head- but for what it is-it does it well  and that is having a good time while playing it.   will i be playing it at release date?- yes. will i also be playing other mmos?-yes.

-there. a great example of someone comparing it to their 'favorite' mmo game. and becouse it dosent have their niche -to them its not a good 'sandbox' game.

and thats ok. dont play it.  go post on your favorite game forum and give them constructive advice on what your game lacks.

and for the record?- Mining/harvesting/hunting-its not a 'sandbox'- to me-its dounting..i have a fulltime job. ty.

<.<</div>

What favorite game? How about any game that can be remotely called "sandbox'? Compare Defiance to any one you like.. UO, Eve, SWG, and even the cheap/bad ones like DF, MO, Xysom or EQ even. All of those had some of the elements I mentioned, or all of them. What does defiance have? Ummm... shooting and more shooting. Not a sandbox, not really an MMO, and not any better than average for a AAA price. No thanks.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

<.<

What favorite game? How about any game that can be remotely called "sandbox'? Compare Defiance to any one you like.. UO, Eve, SWG, and even the cheap/bad ones like DF, MO, Xysom or EQ even. All of those had some of the elements I mentioned, or all of them. What does defiance have? Ummm... shooting and more shooting. Not a sandbox, not really an MMO, and not any better than average for a AAA price. No thanks.

And what hs this got anything to with the original topic? you guys have dragged the OP completely off track.

Defiance was never meant to be a sandbox and neither did Trion ever made such a claim.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney