Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone can compete with my MMORPG history?

2001 = (4th quarter) bought Ultima Online

2003 = (2nd quarter) bought Star Wars Galaxies

2004 = (4th quarter) bought World of Warcraft

2005 = (1st quarter) bought Guild Wars 1

2009 = (4th quarter) bought Aion

2004-2009 = (somewhere between) bought Sims Online

2008-2010 = (somewhere between) subbed on EVE for a month

2011 = (1st quarter) bought DCUO Online

2013 = (present) trying to figure out how to enjoy Path of Exile or quit MMO's in general

Between 2001-2013 I've also tested countless F2P MMORPG's, but only spent $40 on 2 worthy ones ($20 each)

Anyone can compete with that? If you notice a pattern, despite MMO's improving graphically, I've spent  $ on new MMORPG's in the 1st 4 years almost as equal as in the last 8+ years. There are also far more MMORPG's to choose with improved graphics. How ironic... 

P.S: $ was never an issue for not buying/playing anything that came along, but my standards were. I will gladly post threads like these occasionally to show the community the definition of a hardcore MMORPG player, cuz the playerbase in general is clearly responsible for the direction of this genre.

I've said it before and I'll say it again if dozen of mini companies out there merged rather than releasing mini MMORPG's over the last 6-8 years, they would be making some profit out of me, which is better than none at all.

Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

Comments

• dave5698225dave5698225 Member Posts: 14

Really OP?

If I start to think of all the sub-based MMO's I've played I would either laugh or cry. Just off the top of my head:

Ultima Online

Everquest

EverQuest 2

WoW

DAoC

Anarchy Online

Asheron's Call

Tera

GW 2

EVE

Age of Conan

Aion

City of Heroes

Darkfall

SWG

SWTOR

Neocron

Planetside

Shadowbane

Warhammer Online

...I'm sure there are more over the years. All of these games I playes when they were subscription-based. Somehow I even played them all with a girlfriend (who turned into a wife), full time jobs, schools and eventually kids.

/I'm going to have a drink now

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by xKopogerox

2001 = (4th quarter) bought Ultima Online2003 = (2nd quarter) bought Star Wars Galaxies2004 = (4th quarter) bought World of Warcraft2005 = (1st quarter) bought Guild Wars 12009 = (4th quarter) bought Aion2004-2009 = (somewhere between) bought Sims Online2008-2010 = (somewhere between) subbed on EVE for a month2011 = (1st quarter) bought DCUO Online  2013 = (present) trying to figure out how to enjoy Path of Exile or quit MMO's in generalBetween 2001-2013 I've also tested countless F2P MMORPG's, but only spent $40 on 2 worthy ones ($20 each)Anyone can compete with that? If you notice a pattern, despite MMO's improving graphically, I've spent  $ on new MMORPG's in the 1st 4 years almost as equal as in the last 8+ years. There are also far more MMORPG's to choose with improved graphics. How ironic...   P.S: $ was never an issue for not buying/playing anything that came along, but my standards were. I will gladly post threads like these occasionally to show the community the definition of a hardcore MMORPG player, cuz the playerbase in general is clearly responsible for the direction of this genre.I've said it before and I'll say it again if dozen of mini companies out there merged rather than releasing mini MMORPG's over the last 6-8 years, they would be making some profit out of me, which is better than none at all.   

If you line up your game history against Mike Tyson, he will punch it in the face. On more serious note, what is the competition, exactly? I first played UO in 1999. I kind of hated it on my 56k modem. I've played about 30 MMOs, but there are many who played before me, and many who played MUDs way, way back.. and who played more MMOs.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

On more serious note, what is the competition, exactly?

^This.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Furcadia.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by dave5698225

Really OP?

If I start to think of all the sub-based MMO's I've played I would either laugh or cry. Just off the top of my head:

Ultima Online

Everquest

EverQuest 2

WoW

DAoC

Anarchy Online

Asheron's Call

Tera

GW 2

EVE

Age of Conan

Aion

City of Heroes

Darkfall

SWG

SWTOR

Neocron

Planetside

Shadowbane

Warhammer Online

...I'm sure there are more over the years. All of these games I playes when they were subscription-based. Somehow I even played them all with a girlfriend (who turned into a wife), full time jobs, schools and eventually kids.

/I'm going to have a drink now

This is about my list except add Rift, GW 1, PS2, Perfect World, Forsaken World, WoT, DDO and LOTRO. And I did not touch SWTOR except beta.

And Souldrainer lol I got to agree about UO on dial up. But it was still a great experience I started it earlier I think it was 97 maybe 98. Been too long.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Ultima and SWG on dial-up, even played WoW some on that, do I win?
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Unfair! image I couldn't stand the old-school MMORPGs.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    /throws cookies at everyone

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I've played many MMORPGs since 1999, some which I abandoned and deleted quickly due to their boredom factor, but some of which I stuck to for a long time.  So, in no particular order...

Everquest, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, C9, Allods Online, Runes of Magic, DC Heroes, Champions Online, Path of Exile, Star Trek Online, Warhammer, Anarchy Online, Eve Online, City of Heroes, Cabal, RF Online, Shaiya, Perfect World, Requiem, Hellgate: London, Ether Sage, Runes of Magic, Forsaken World, Aion, Tera, D&D Online, Vendetta Online, Priston Tale II, Perpetuum, Fallen Earth, Age of Conan, Star Wars the Old Republic, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Secret World, Silk Road, Vanguard, War of the Immortals, Lord of the Rings Online, Pandora Saga.

Those are the ones I actually bothererd to write down account details for, but there may be a few that blew so badly I didn't even keep account details.  I only currently dabble in 2 or 3 of the above games now, although I don't sub to them.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Ur not even close.. lets go with that.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    /throws cookies at everyone

That should be /throws Cheetos at everyone.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Anyone played Kingdom of Drakkar? I played it for at least a year or more. And it costs $2 PER HOUR.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Two dollars an hour for THAT?  /boggle
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Wow gonna age myslef but..

i started playing MUDS thru Quantum -Link on my C64 then the C128 in the early 80s , played MUDS exclusivley thru the 80s till Neverwinter in 94 i think it was.. And that was thru AOL(and i think this was 6$ an hour) and dial up.. Then 97 came and UO captured my imgination like no other game before or since , i still have an active account (Atlantic) .. I have subbed to or tryed to some extent every Triple AAA MMO since and many F2P , Far to many games to list here would be easier to have use the drop down gaemlist on this site , (most of them ) :)    

... But gaming imo has gotten worse over the years with TOR and GW2 being the latest games to further push the genre backwards , pretty games that offer little else .... My interest in gameing seems to be waning becasue of the lack of creativity that the devs today demonstrate , the money grabs they churn out are terrible examples of a once great gaming genre..

• ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Scorchien

Wow gonna age myslef but..

i started playing MUDS thru Quantum -Link on my C64 then the C128 in the early 80s , played MUDS exclusivley thru the 80s till Neverwinter in 94 i think it was.. And that was thru AOL(and i think this was 6$ an hour) and dial up.. Then 97 came and UO captured my imgination like no other game before or since , i still have an active account (Atlantic) .. I have subbed to or tryed to some extent every Triple AAA MMO since and many F2P , Far to many games to list here would be easier to have use the drop down gaemlist on this site , (most of them ) :)    

... But gaming imo has gotten worse over the years with TOR and GW2 being the latest games to further push the genre backwards , pretty games that offer little else .... My interest in gameing seems to be waning becasue of the lack of creativity that the devs today demonstrate , the money grabs the churn out are terrible examples of a once great gaming genre..

Very close to myself, but I started mmos from Neverwinter and played most p2p, b2p and alot of f2p from 1995 to now. If I had to guess a number I'd say above 50 mmos.

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by xKopogerox

2001 = (4th quarter) bought Ultima Online

2003 = (2nd quarter) bought Star Wars Galaxies

2004 = (4th quarter) bought World of Warcraft

2005 = (1st quarter) bought Guild Wars 1

2009 = (4th quarter) bought Aion

2004-2009 = (somewhere between) bought Sims Online

2008-2010 = (somewhere between) subbed on EVE for a month

2011 = (1st quarter) bought DCUO Online

2013 = (present) trying to figure out how to enjoy Path of Exile or quit MMO's in general

Between 2001-2013 I've also tested countless F2P MMORPG's, but only spent $40 on 2 worthy ones ($20 each)

Anyone can compete with that? If you notice a pattern, despite MMO's improving graphically, I've spent  $ on new MMORPG's in the 1st 4 years almost as equal as in the last 8+ years. There are also far more MMORPG's to choose with improved graphics. How ironic... 

P.S: $ was never an issue for not buying/playing anything that came along, but my standards were. I will gladly post threads like these occasionally to show the community the definition of a hardcore MMORPG player, cuz the playerbase in general is clearly responsible for the direction of this genre.

I've said it before and I'll say it again if dozen of mini companies out there merged rather than releasing mini MMORPG's over the last 6-8 years, they would be making some profit out of me, which is better than none at all.

I suppose it depends upon your definition of hardcore really, but I certainly wouldn't consider you a harcore MMO player.  Combine the lists found in the thread and add several titles and you've got my current played list, I really couldn't be arsed to write them all down, it's a sickening amount of games.  I still don't consider myself a hardcore player, those days ended a long time ago (after clocking up 3.5 years of game time over a 7 year period.)  Without supporting information like the length of your subscriptions, the amount of time spent in game, things like that all you've really done is provide a sparse list of games you've played.

• HapppyHapppy Member Posts: 2

A better question is how many games have you played with at least 100 days played.  Many people argue that one has not actually played a MMO unless they have played at least 100 days played.  I think 200+ days is a better measure.

MMOS with 100+ days played

1.  EQ1

2.  DAOC

3.  Shadowbane (incldung beta)

4.  Horizons

5. Lineage II

6.  WoW

7  Vanguard

8.  Rift

Other MMOS less than 100 days played where I purchased and played the game

AC, AO, AC2,  FF11, EQ2, LOTRO, AoC, Warhammer, and probably about 30 more.   I have alpahed or closed beta tested almost every major MMO since AC's release with the excpetion of a few modern newly released MMOS that I had no desire to play. It used to be there were so few MMOs that cmae out veteran players would play them all.  Now a days with all these flavor of the month MMOS that have all frontloaded content and no endgame there is no point in playing most of them.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    2013 and not playing Dungeon Striker over Path of Exile.
  • ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Happpy

A better question is how many games have you played with at least 100 days played.  Many people argue that one has not actually played a MMO unless they have played at least 100 days played.  I think 200+ days is a better measure.

MMOS with 100+ days played

1.  EQ1

2.  DAOC

3.  Shadowbane (incldung beta)

4.  Horizons

5. Lineage II

6.  WoW

7  Vanguard

8.  Rift

Other MMOS less than 100 days played where I purchased and played the game

AC, AO, AC2,  FF11, EQ2, LOTRO, AoC, Warhammer, and probably about 30 more.   I have alpahed or closed beta tested almost every major MMO since AC's release with the excpetion of a few modern newly released MMOS that I had no desire to play. It used to be there were so few MMOs that cmae out veteran players would play them all.  Now a days with all these flavor of the month MMOS that have all frontloaded content and no endgame there is no point in playing most of them.

See now this here is the better question lets see RO, WoW, Vanguard, WAR, LOTRO, COH, CO, RIFT, FFXI, MAPLE STORY, DDO, DFO, Rusty Hearts, PW, FW, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, GW1 and GW2 I'm sure I'm missing some, but hey good enough I guess.

• MrkuikenMrkuiken Member UncommonPosts: 33

My only Hardcore game 10+ years Everquest (sick raiding 4 days 5 hours a week(so 20 hours) for 7years long)

In wich i payed SOE a totalof 2.398,34 dollars (for sups + expansions)

So far no game comes even close to my eq1 experience (so i realy hope eqnext wiil be good and hard),

Where are those days that you die over and over for fun:) , now days you can easly get max level with out even dieing.

100+ days

Wow

Rift

Aion

Gw1

Gw2

FF14

And alot of f2p games iam not even going to mention

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

5 years of Sims Online?

Why would you admit that?  Have you no shame OP?

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Started playing MMO's in early 1998 with Ultima Online.

What was the purpose of this thread?

• pandaeyes25pandaeyes25 Member Posts: 8
    all i know that the history is older than myself.
  • DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Try Neverwinter Nights on AOL at 2400 dialup..for 3.95 an hour.  Hello, $1000 bill.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster