Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, my 40 minutes (20 +20) with ESO *update*

Comments

• DartoxerDartoxer Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Actually excellent question.

I "mostly" hit my target with my ranged skill; but then again, I was backing up and they were in front of me. However...

I did note that at at one point I aimed with the ranged skill, my target moved and I "missed". So currently "they can't miss me" but I can miss them.

Unfair but it's a start.

So "yes" I did miss a few times which I liked. I think you can just cast your spells into the distance. Though if I remember correctly I tried that and it didn't go very far. Not like skyrim or oblvion or morrowind when you see them flying until they vanish.

edit: if you try to use a skill for a weapon that can't use it you will get a "this is for a two handed weapon only".

Perfect. That's exactly what I wanted to hear :). It doesn't have to go very far. Even if there's no actual hit detection behind these spells and they're just animations, having the ability  to cast anything anywhere can give the game's combat system a much better (and fluid) feel IMO.

Anything about guards? Did you interact with any :D?

edit: typo

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Sovrath

This kinda brings forth a question of my own, since you seem to have been fairly comfortable just taking off on your own, was it due to the game being a little too been there done that? If so would you place that under your negatives, or was it more on the positive side of that?

I decided I would approach this game like I approached the  past elder scrolls games and play exactly in that manner.

My honest opinion? From the little time I played?

I think die hard mmo players who don't explore and who are looking for quest givesr will eventually find one and after a while think it's "same old same old".

It's a shame because the guy I went in with yesterday came out saying "seems like a generic mmo". but he never had the type of combat I felt today as he just found mobs over land that weren't very challenging.

And, when you take a quest an objective appears on your map.

I wanted to play like I played morrowind so I took off. In the elder scrolls games you find more things. More doors, more caves, etc. Then again, yesterday I missed the door to this underground ruin of a tower.

If there are more dungeons like this to be found then I think this can be an excellent game. However, I did hear that there was "one solo dungeon" and several group dungeons.

Was this one of the group dungeons? It could have been. Or does one "have to be in a group" to enter a group dungeon?

Don't know. nuts, I actually met Maria Aliprando, the monster combat creator, and spoke with her briefly. I should have asked abotu the dungeons. She was too busy getting me info about the after party. really nice person though.

Thanks for the reply, I agree that would be a shame to miss out on the good parts, as that guy did. I'd expect the starter zones to have more of an easy path through content, at least outside of dungeons, hoping as we progress we'll see a lot of of what you were describing out in the open. Definitely something this genre has lacked in almost every title (interesting mob behavior).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Dartoxer
    Actually excellent question.

I "mostly" hit my target with my ranged skill; but then again, I was backing up and they were in front of me. However...

I did note that at at one point I aimed with the ranged skill, my target moved and I "missed". So currently "they can't miss me" but I can miss them.

Unfair but it's a start.

So "yes" I did miss a few times which I liked. I think you can just cast your spells into the distance. Though if I remember correctly I tried that and it didn't go very far. Not like skyrim or oblvion or morrowind when you see them flying until they vanish.

edit: if you try to use a skill for a weapon that can't use it you will get a "this is for a two handed weapon only".

Perfect. That's exactly what I wanted to hear :). I doesn't have to go very far. Even if there's no actual hit detection behind these spells and they're just animations, having the ability  to cast anything anywhere can give the game's combat system a much better (and fluid) feel IMO.

Anything about guards? Did you interact with any :D?

Hate to say it, I didn't. I was told that the (for lack of a better term on my part) crime system wasn't in this build but would be there at launch. We were told we could steal out of houses but not get caught or approached by guards. Which is interesting, I would have liked to have seen what happens. Do we get thrown in jaiil? If we want to serve a sentence then how long is that?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Hate to say it, I didn't. I was told that the (for lack of a better term on my part) crime system wasn't in this build but would be there at launch. We were told we could steal out of houses but not get caught or approached by guards. Which is interesting, I would have liked to have seen what happens. Do we get thrown in jaiil? If we want to serve a sentence then how long is that?

I was so hung up on the AI bit, I completely forgot you mentioned that in your OP. I'm fairly surprised that they're going as far as adding a crime system. That seems like something on the fluff side; which many studios have been detering those forms of content in recent years.*Pleasently suprised*...

This makes me wonder what else is silently making it's way into this game.

(I'm a big fan of the crime systems in TEs games, especially the thievery side of it all). Yes even considering guard telepathy.. It gives a true purpose for stealth classes, I wonder if they have Db assination quests <--> (something that would work well in PVP as well)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

Hey, Thank you very much for your hard work of bringing us all that information and I've quite enjoyed reading through your posts. However there is one last question that I wish to ask you, if I may.

Will all the spellcasting be done by staff or will I be able to wield it by hand, or dual-wield fire and sword?

I'm not quite sure if you got to try this out, but you might have an idea anyhow. Still, thank you very much for going out there, taking the time to try the game and give us an honest opinion from a gamer's point of view instead of a neutral party.

Cheers mate!

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Thank you OP. 
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Does the world feel immersive, dynamic and alive?  Do the npc's roam around and do their own thing or are they static statues just standing there to give you a quest?
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Loads of great detail, and some interesting reporting on the feel of the game.  Thanks a bunch!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Very interesting Sov - many thanks for the effort you have made bringing this to us!
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by aylwynn

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience :) Though there are topics (like following projectiles) where many people think different about its pretty sad that some people just want to "defend their holy grail". Its a demo designed for the PAX East.

Can you tell us something about perks maybe? I can't really imagine how a class determines your skills while you are able to choose perks for some weapon- and magictypes. Are there just "perktrees" like in Skyrim which are available for every classes and some class-specific perktrees?

No perk trees per se, but your class gets its own skills. I saw 5, two of which I could choose at my level 6. These seem "made up" as they have no elder scrolls equivalent that I ever experienced. You hit a skill and it fires off. You can spam these though I believe they use stamina, magicka, etc.

Thanks! Is there any sort of skill-cooldown or General Cooldown for all skills after you used a skill? Just to make sure that you can really spam those abilities while it jus stays resource based.

• bartikebartike Member Posts: 7

Thank you for your answers.

Can you move items in tables, shelves etc like in skyrim or oblivion ? How do you stealing them ? tes-like or its just static object ? Can you drop your item or you just delete it like in many mmoes. 

What about graphics, details, refecting, shadows etc.

Is the UI, and map same like in this video, or they changed it ? 

http://youtu.be/YlEipFtHw7o?t=6m16s

What about sounds, did you heard "nature",birds,leaves, or its just some music playing in background ?

Didnt feels gameplay like SWTOR with Hero engine ?

Thanks, also, sorry for my bad english :)

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

1) Thank you for your posts.

2) To the above poster, a couple pages back he said he would definitely get the game, but was not sure if it was the type of game to hold his attention over the long haul.

3) About housing in WS... If housing is good but the rest of the game is "meh", it will not keep you playing.

4) What everyone needs to remember, is that this is just the beginning and things can change. We haven't seen end game AVA or other realms "raids". Keep this in perspective when asking questions about "feel".

@Normandy: I'm intrigued enough to get it but I'm unsure if there is enough to keep my interest as my preference in Elder Scrolls games is finding those mysterious dungeons, caves, etc. I don't know how many of these they have per continent or even per level range.

@asrlohz: I was able to cast a ranged Dragon Knight magic attack while holding a two handed weapon. My sense is that it's more than possible to cast spells without a staff. Now, I wasn't able to advance in magic (or anything really) so dont' hold me to that but I would be surprised if one couldn't.

@margulis: the world is very detailed, the architecture is beautiful but none of the npc's I saw roamed. Having said that, I didn't go in the city. I might remember turning around and seeing an npc walking away from me up the street within the city but for the most part the npc's I saw were quest npc's and they stayed put.

@Caliburn: it was over 2 hours of waiting the second time. But good thing I went the second time because that was when I learned about the after party.

@aylwynn: no skill cool down. I kept spammping my dragon knight magic attack while back up and clearly saw my magicka going going down. So I believe magicka and stamina control your ability to use certain skills "x" amount of times.

@bartike: I swept my cursor over items but none seemed movable. I did find notes left around that I could read. Supposedly you can steal things so there is some interactoin there. But to my experience didn't allow me any insight into whether you could move a cup. I suspect not but you never know.

The UI is close to that. Minimal. The hotbar appears when you are using skills, the stamins and magicka appear when using the appropriate skills and vanish when you are done. Same with the hotbar. I seem to remember health, magicka and stamina appearing on that hot bar (above it? slightly? while fighting the everything vanishing when you stop. Very minimal, things appear when you need them. Not sure what you mean by the swtor feeling but the game ran extremely smoothly. I never once experienced a hitch. They probably had incredible computers there.

oh! and you can swim but you can't dive. I just remembered that detail. At least in this build.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I do like how the leveing and exploring is sounding..

but if it dosn't have some good end game progression the Hard core and Semi core will lose interest in a few months

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

@Normandy: I'm intrigued enough to get it but I'm unsure if there is enough to keep my interest as my preference in Elder Scrolls games is finding those mysterious dungeons, caves, etc. I don't know how many of these they have per continent or even per level range.

@asrlohz: I was able to cast a ranged Dragon Knight magic attack while holding a two handed weapon. My sense is that it's more than possible to cast spells without a staff. Now, I wasn't able to advance in magic (or anything really) so dont' hold me to that but I would be surprised if one couldn't.

@margulis: the world is very detailed, the architecture is beautiful but none of the npc's I saw roamed. Having said that, I didn't go in the city. I might remember turning around and seeing an npc walking away from me up the street within the city but for the most part the npc's I saw were quest npc's and they stayed put.

@Caliburn: it was over 2 hours of waiting the second time. But good thing I went the second time because that was when I learned about the after party.

@aylwynn: no skill cool down. I kept spammping my dragon knight magic attack while back up and clearly saw my magicka going going down. So I believe magicka and stamina control your ability to use certain skills "x" amount of times.

@bartike: I swept my cursor over items but none seemed movable. I did find notes left around that I could read. Supposedly you can steal things so there is some interactoin there. But to my experience didn't allow me any insight into whether you could move a cup. I suspect not but you never know.

The UI is close to that. Minimal. The hotbar appears when you are using skills, the stamins and magicka appear when using the appropriate skills and vanish when you are done. Same with the hotbar. I seem to remember health, magicka and stamina appearing on that hot bar (above it? slightly? while fighting the everything vanishing when you stop. Very minimal, things appear when you need them. Not sure what you mean by the swtor feeling but the game ran extremely smoothly. I never once experienced a hitch. They probably had incredible computers there.

oh! and you can swim but you can't dive. I just remembered that detail. At least in this build.

Was it a disappointing experience?

Originally posted by asrlohz

um, not really. But then again I have learned to temper my expectations with these games years ago.

It did confirm a few things...

1, this is not skyrim online or morrowind online or even Oblvion Online though indeed the developers said as much.

2, There are a lot of nice Elder Scrolls moments, enough to allow you to feel you are in the Elder Scrolls Universe if you allow yourself to do that. If one is a jaded, highly dissapointed, waiting for the next amzingest thing, "filli the blank"  type of mmo player, then they might not really enjoy themselves. Again, the first gentleman that I met in line came out saying "it seems like a generic mmo". For me it was my second play through that showed me more of what was possible/available. Quite frankly I think it's just the danger of showing players the first noob area where there really isn't much.

3, I had a lot of fun the second play time and definitely wanted to go back.

4, it's a very polished game that needs some more polish in certain areas.

5, The world is beautiful and it does invite exploration though it didn't feel like it was coursing with life such as birds, and other animals. At least that I took note of. Given that it's beta and that certai things aren't in the game, such as the crime system, I am leaning toward the idea that those things are just not present yet. We'll see. The world isn't as dense as an elder scrolls game from what I saw but I only went "so far".

6, the Armor and weapons for a level 6 look great. Unless of course they gave us even "better" items than we would normally find.

7, I'm intrigued and look forward to playing for hours to truly see what they do. I had briefly met Matt Friror and pretty much said that there is a whole playerbase that is already invested in these gamse and they play the single player games for "extremely long times". If you can hook them into the game you will have a devoted player base.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

If one is a jaded, highly dissapointed, waiting for the next amzingest thing, "filli the blank"  type of mmo player, then they might not really enjoy themselves.  

that is a good description of most of the people that post here, i almost want to put that in my sig lol

nice thread by the way, can't wait to try it for myself some day.

Originally posted by asrlohz

um, not really. But then again I have learned to temper my expectations with these games years ago.

It did confirm a few things...

1, this is not skyrim online or morrowind online or even Oblvion Online though indeed the developers said as much.

2, There are a lot of nice Elder Scrolls moments, enough to allow you to feel you are in the Elder Scrolls Universe if you allow yourself to do that. If one is a jaded, highly dissapointed, waiting for the next amzingest thing, "filli the blank"  type of mmo player, then they might not really enjoy themselves. Again, the first gentleman that I met in line came out saying "it seems like a generic mmo". For me it was my second play through that showed me more of what was possible/available. Quite frankly I think it's just the danger of showing players the first noob area where there really isn't much.

3, I had a lot of fun the second play time and definitely wanted to go back.

4, it's a very polished game that needs some more polish in certain areas.

5, The world is beautiful and it does invite exploration though it didn't feel like it was coursing with life such as birds, and other animals. At least that I took note of. Given that it's beta and that certai things aren't in the game, such as the crime system, I am leaning toward the idea that those things are just not present yet. We'll see. The world isn't as dense as an elder scrolls game from what I saw but I only went "so far".

6, the Armor and weapons for a level 6 look great. Unless of course they gave us even "better" items than we would normally find.

7, I'm intrigued and look forward to playing for hours to truly see what they do. I had briefly met Matt Friror and pretty much said that there is a whole playerbase that is already invested in these gamse and they play the single player games for "extremely long times". If you can hook them into the game you will have a devoted player base.

Well, it has been amazing reading through your posts and answers to our questions. I really hope that I won't be disappointed. This whole thread has helped me get a realistic view of what to expect and so far it all sounds fair to me. After all it still has to be an MMO. You can't just break away from that. I just hope that there will be a lot of room for RP and character progression within the game. As long as I may get immersed into the world, I am fine with it.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Did you get to play around with any of the crafting professions? Some of the press said you could use provisioner pretty much right away you just needed a fire, so if you did how was the ui for it, did it seem like a robust system etc?

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Thanks a lot for posting this Sov :)

Lets hope they can polish some of the animations and such before launch.

Originally posted by deakon

Did you get to play around with any of the crafting professions? Some of the press said you could use provisioner pretty much right away you just needed a fire, so if you did how was the ui for it, did it seem like a robust system etc?

nah sorry didnt' have a chance to do any of that. the lines are so long for these things and the 20 minutes goes by so quickly,  that it almost makes you feel like the kid in "A Christmas Story" when he finally sits on Santa's lap.

You want to do everything but know you can't.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Here's one I don't remember reading anywhere:

Is the mouselook like that of a regular action (or TPS) game where your character's facing automatically follows your mouse movement, or do you have free mouselook where you get to drag your mouse right and left to look around without your character turning that way as well? (as in WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, etc.)

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Bad? Sure! If they fire fireballs at you and you move, the fireballs will curve to hit you. I didn't do any "dodging" so perhaps "dodging" will actually evade that? The hits didn't feel substantial at all though the block and the bash afterwards did.

I didn't experience any "amazing AI"" while fighting but then again I only had 20 minutes and these were only imps.

The guy I went in with came out saying that he thought it felt like a generic mmo.

As for my take? Well, somtimes it felt like "Elder Scrolls" because of the small details and the fighting system but somtimes it did feel like a "generic mmo".

All of that is just cringe-worthy.  I already knew they had a "generic MMO" dodging system in place and all, but it still makes me gag everytime someone reaffirms it.  It just disgusts me that after all these years, arrows, fireballs, etc. will still chase you in circles.  I think it's more than a bit unacceptable in the newer generations of games.

Everything sounds about what I expect, though.  I fully expect a typical, generic MMO experience out of the game(with slight TES combat makeover)

The important thing to me would be just how large and fun the world is to explore and how much is there to discover within.  And, from the sounds of your time with it, that's still quite an unknown.

This game, quite honestly, reminds me alot of Age of Conan for some reason... lush, beautiful world to explore for a little while, see the sights, then move on to something else.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Thanks for your time and effort, Sovrath :) A very good write up about your experience.

I can't pay you for your time and effort, but will give you +100 Internets!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• bartikebartike Member Posts: 7
    • What about your experience with npcs AI ? Some combat report ? Are they "smart" and have great AI as zenimax told us, are they trying to encircle you etc. ?

• Is questing fun or its just like from generic mmo ? / differences ?

• Achievements ?

• Level progress ? How long did you played ? your % progress from lvl up ?

• Do you recall what stats were on items? Did you happen to find a character screen, what stats/attributes did you see there? Is there item preview ?

• How many active skills per skill line ?