Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] RIFT: SUB / B2P / F2P

KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Both RIFT and TRION  are great, but the game IMO is dead.

I quit it some time ago due to empty servers. I m always keeping an eye on it just to see how its going, because i had great times playing it. Despite this, at least in EU, servers remains empty. There are only 3 mediums and 1 high (all pve and only 1 english) and only at peak hours.

Today i logged in again using the 5 day free option and you know what? game is even better but servers are once again empty. Even with the free pass servers are the same. 3 medium and 1 high. i m playing at the high one (Icewatch) and even this feels empty, at least as a guardian

I dont know how things are in US but in EU are as i said above.

I think its time TRION reconsiders their pay model.Ii think its time to make it either B2P or F2P. At least thats my opinion and i m fully respecting both RIFT and TRION.

thx for reading and sry for my english :)

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I hope it never leaves subscription.  I can't stand the F2P or B2P crowd, they have no obligation to play. They just migrate from game to game, never really learning what they're doing in any single game.  I only play subscription games.  If they changed it to F2P or anything other than subscription...I'll probably leave, just like I did to Lotro (although I have lifetime sub there hehe).  I have no problem finding groups to do things with, so maybe that's just EU servers, but my server is just fine population-wise.
  • penthepenthe Member Posts: 25
    with the amount of lag in the big cities i seriously doubt F2P will help matters. Game feels laggy and clunky. I dont like seeing green domes when i port somewhere.
  • alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I hope it never leaves subscription.  I can't stand the F2P or B2P crowd, they have no obligation to play. They just migrate from game to game, never really learning what they're doing in any single game.  I only play subscription games.  If they changed it to F2P or anything other than subscription...I'll probably leave, just like I did to Lotro (although I have lifetime sub there hehe).  I have no problem finding groups to do things with, so maybe that's just EU servers, but my server is just fine population-wise.

And how exactly changing subscription target is harder than that? Just buy game, pay for month or two, then switch to new target, repeat as many times as you want to.

On topic: I would go back to Rift regardless it's business model as soon as they made it not PC exclusive.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I plan on returning to Rift when they make it f2p or b2p. It is a solid game but nothing makes me feel like it is worth 15 a month.  I would prefer b2p like TSW but f2p would work for me also.   I expect it will happen soon enough.

I remember playing LOTRO well before it went f2p and getting slammed by people in game telling me there is no way this game would go f2p play, well.....     

Just waiting on Rift now.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by flizzer

I plan on returning to Rift when they make it f2p or b2p. It is a solid game but nothing makes me feel like it is worth 15 a month.  I would prefer b2p like TSW but f2p would work for me also.   I expect it will happen soon enough.

I remember playing LOTRO well before it went f2p and getting slammed by people in game telling me there is no way this game would go f2p play, well.....     

LOTR is kind of a strange case though; if you look back in time the big problem with LOTRO's money was that a LOT of folks bought 199 lifetime subs when it launched and proceeded to play for 5+ years for free.  they had med and high pop servers where half the people were all playing for free anyway.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    yeah i logged to try the new souls , the server was empty ....played for a while to see the new expansion zones (looks cool) but no other players on sight...../sigh
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Manolios

Both RIFT and TRION  are great, but the game IMO is dead.

I quit it some time ago due to empty servers. I m always keeping an eye on it just to see how its going, because i had great times playing it. Despite this, at least in EU, servers remains empty. There are only 3 mediums and 1 high (all pve and only 1 english) and only at peak hours.

Today i logged in again using the 5 day free option and you know what? game is even better but servers are once again empty. Even with the free pass servers are the same. 3 medium and 1 high. i m playing at the high one (Icewatch) and even this feels empty, at least as a guardian

I dont know how things are in US but in EU are as i said above.

I think its time TRION reconsiders their pay model.Ii think its time to make it either B2P or F2P. At least thats my opinion and i m fully respecting both RIFT and TRION.

thx for reading and sry for my english :)

I didn't vote, don't want to even know the results. I just find it strange how one can have the balls to base such a huge financial and internal change to a company and its marque title from a singular, limited view of what appears to them to be a dead game. If all companies based their financial decisions off the whims of a few limited observations from bored, disgruntled players, the whole genre would be abandoned and dead. And we all would have zero choices in the mmorpg genre because they would all be shutdown.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by itchmon
    Originally posted by flizzer

LOTR is kind of a strange case though; if you look back in time the big problem with LOTRO's money was that a LOT of folks bought 199 lifetime subs when it launched and proceeded to play for 5+ years for free.  they had med and high pop servers where half the people were all playing for free anyway.

Yup, I agree LOTRO is different with the lifetime subs.  So glad I got mine actually.  I dont play as much anymore but nice to know I can hop back on if I chose to.  The LOTRO combat is what feels so old to me at this point.  After dodging and moving in GW2, I have a hard time standing in place and hitting buttons.

But I digress....

Well, going on the assumption in this thread ( I know always dangerous to believe a thread on MMORPG is any way connected to reality, but just suppose...)  If the servers are this low in pop and people are turned off by this, I imagine they will need to do something soon.  I know they have free weekends. I still get notices from them for this.   I tired Rift for a month trhough a Steam Holiday offer and , like I said, found the game solid but not enough to justifiy a sub.  With a bunch of new games coming out( new shinies!....hehe,  I like Skrit)   I expect Rift will see a further population plunge.  

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Honestly, I don't mind if it stays sub or goes B2P. I don't like F2P games and try not to support them unless they're very good. However, I do support B2P. I like feeling like I've invested something.

Anyhow, I don't care either way, simply because if it's a good game and I enjoy it, chances are I'll be paying something whether it's a sub or through the cash shop (or both if they have it).

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

If I were Trion, I would think outside of the box.

1-50 leveling = free

level 50 expert dungeons, raids, tier 1 PA $5 per month

leveling 50-60, tier 2 PA, but no experts/raids $10 per month

full game $15 per month

• OhnoozeOhnooze Member UncommonPosts: 33

It's strange to me that the EU servers are so low because there are more US servers and they have a lot of people playing. 

In the US it's far from dead...

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252

I just don't see how a game like this could go fully free to play. The cosmetic items, and mounts are already pretty bland and half the time what you wear doesn't really stand out.

I think if they made vanilla free to play, and storm legion 39.99 they would fill the servers up tomorrow.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223
    both german pve servers do have a high population aswell as the french one. that servers dedicated to pve rp or pvp aren't that popular is understandable. but that rift does have a 'visual' lack of players especially in the lower level regions is a fact. a typical illness of the the basic mmorpg concept. after a while 90% of the current active players are all on maximum level and are in the treatmill of endgame gear grinding. and these players only show up ingame to do their daily grind for an hour or if they are going to raid.

I don't know about other servers, but Faeblight (US PvE-RP shard) is always full of people.  I can't walk into meridian even on my desktop without my fps getting cut by at least half, and my desktop is a beast :)  If you aren't an RPer, Wolfsbane is probably where you want to be, it's always medium then goes high during peak.  I don't know, but I think alot of people that played on Landroval server in Lotro left and came to Rift.  I've met so many friends from lotro that remember my name, they're like "hey, you're from lotro right?" lol.

Edit: Trion needs to steal the ABC music system from lotro so I can take up residence in the meridian pub tent and play music for people XD  That's probably the only thing I like about lotro over rift when it comes to RP.

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Well I guess you don't really know what you've missed since you left. When Rift goes B2P later this year, don't let the door hit you on the way out... He-He
    I wish Trion offered lifetime subs or DLC's for Rift and Defiance, they'd get 2 subs and 2 dlc's from me and the wifey.  Best money I ever spent was a lifetime sub for lotro.  I think it's averaged out to like $0.50 a month or something now lol.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It should just go B2P like TSW and GW2.  They could add a cash shop for vanity items and xp buffs, etc..  They would get more players, and more players buying things at a cash shop.
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    I hope it never leaves subscription.  I can't stand the F2P or B2P crowd, they have no obligation to play. They just migrate from game to game, never really learning what they're doing in any single game.  I only play subscription games.

I hope it never stays subscription. I can't stand the sub crowd, they made the game a job and feel obligated to play.They dont play for fun like the B2P or F2P crowd and they act like only they know how to play in every single game. I only play non subscription games.

See what I did there?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

If it goes anything, I'd hope freemium. Typically has the best chance to avoid making cash shop P2P. Really haven't been playing it much though got a bit burnt out on it. Unfortunately they haven't added raids or anything that made it pop like Hammerknell had.

Either way, its one of the games I feel is worthy of a sub fee. Not perfect but has plenty going for it. Where WoW destroyed their talent system, Rift improved theirs with so much diversity and choice without all that much balance issues with it (PvE wise) that  the other game seems to have despite dumbing down talents in order to make THEIR lives easier (it wasn't done for the players, we know that full well despite how they had tried to pitch it). 

Still its flawed, theres way to much boring grind in the expansion, the Hunt Rifts requiring groups to do effectively is a bit tiring and a pain, despite the fact they are enjoyable.

None the less, given they don't do heavy cash shop and keep customization as open as possible and prevent 'pay 2 win' I'd not mind, thus why a freemium model wouldn't be bad, able to garnish subs while hopefully cutting back on to much cash shop goods.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I tried Rift when my guildies from EQ2 moved there, but I just could not immerse in it. The game has zero appeal to me.

I voted I do not care for Rift. Every game has players who love it and who will play it. It is not my game of choice though.

Nevermid my opinion about the game, I wish the game all the best. Devs were really caring for this game and I appreciate their commitment. I do not regret that I bought the box and tried it, I hope players will be able to play it for a long time and that new content will be coming. We do want variety of games. It is good for everybody.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by JasonJ

I hope it never leaves subscription.  I can't stand the F2P or B2P crowd, they have no obligation to play. They just migrate from game to game, never really learning what they're doing in any single game.  I only play subscription games.

I hope it never stays subscription. I can't stand the sub crowd, they made the game a job and feel obligated to play.They dont play for fun like the B2P or F2P crowd and they act like only they know how to play in every single game. I only play non subscription games.

See what I did there?

</p
    Made a fool of yourself? Because that makes no sense.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I think it is one of the best MMO's on the market. I believe Trion will think of something to resurrect the population since they have always been passionate about the game. I was playing it when I went to the failure that is called SWTOR. I have since gone to console RPG's, or I would go back to Rift since I really enjoyed their ranged (bows/guns) options.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Don't care about Rift, even if it were free to play. I try to avoid free to play and buy to play mmo's they're usually chocked full of immature, cheap people.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    dropping the price to $5 and making it free of charge to former players did nothing for them. b2P will do nothing. make it F2P for an influx of people, and hope they stay(they won't).
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

So you dont play defiance? Wierd cause it's your avatar :)