Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your thoughts on the Beta so far?

Comments

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

As a concept I think it's a great idea. In the execution, it's not so good. For xbox and PS players it's probably a huge step forward but for PC MMO players it's not working out so well.

The UI is blatantly a console UI. PC gamers, and MMO players especially, will be disappointed with the UI. We have an abundance of keys at our disposal, so a nice, functional UI, that can be modded, is something we expect from our MMO's. Defiance fails to deliver that. While the UI is perfectly normal for consoles it's nothing more than a bad port for the PC.

That's my biggest problem, but not the only one. The animations are clunky, but the models look quite good. The FPS play feels solid enough, but sniping is a bit off, given that the mobs have a tendancy to jerk around a bit as they move, poor animations again.

PvP will be a nightmare of bunny hopping on steroids. Have you SEEN how high you can jump in this game? It's freaking amazing. You can jump clear over a players head with room to spare. I have never in 20 years seen jumps this high in any game.

My other "big" problem is the absolutely disgusting practice of delivering a full game but making half of it available only as DLC that many games devs and publishers are moving towards. DO NOT BUY DLC EVER if you want to stop this pratice in the future. The only way to get the message across to the devs is to NOT BUY DLC EVER. Make them give us the FULL game. I don't mind so much for a game that's been out a while, say a few months at least. But DLC just after release is an abomination and only we can stop them by NOT BUYING DLC EVER!

Sorry about that rant, I just have a bit of a thing about DLC at or shortly after release. It's a blatant rip off and I find it amazing that anyone lets the bastards get away with it.

Anyway, in conclusion:  a bad console port to PC and over half the races only available as DLC, jacking the price of the box from £35 to over £50 for the season pass. Nah. Too many problems for a PC game, and compared to other B2P or F2P games it's just not polished enough.

This is why i wouldnt buy the game for more then 9,99.

I hope the game goes down to where it belongs with this shady business stunt they pull.

So do you think that last expansion for whatever game youre into that you bought just popped up out of nowhere? Like the devs created any and everything they could think of and put it into the original game, then a few months later said "Oh no. We need to come up with some brand new ideas for our expansion we are supposed to release next month". Do you think they didnt already have plans for that stuff and decided to hold off on putting it in so they had something to fill up their expansion that theyre charging you for and then claim it as brand new?

Same goes with "free" content updates (which arent truly free since you have to pay a sub to play it). You think they didnt hold off on putting something in the game just so they could turn around and say "Keep paying us for a few more months. Eventually we will give you some of this new stuff".

Sub model milks you for just as much money as any other model, if not more, since you are constantly charged a fee to even play a game you already paid for on top of being expected to buy expansions pretty regularly. You dont really have a choice in the matter. Either pay or dont play at all even though you already shelled out $60 and possibly another $100-200 in subs to play it for awhile. The second you stop paying more, youre cut off completely.

Damn. You guys are right. That sure sounds a whole lot less shady than games with no forced sub that offer you optional DLC that you can pick and choose wether or not to download and allow you to still keep playing the stuff youve bought even if you dont buy anything else later on.

The last expansion i bought was just that.. an "expansion".

Thats a little bit different than taking a full AAA price and releasing DLCs on top of it or trying to milk the customer with "season passes" right after.

a few, optional, dlcs, vs a sub?  I'll take the DLCs.  You can make the argument that subs are actually just paying for DLC in installments =D, and it costs alot more.  They have already said in the IGN video, they intend to let people play the content of the DLCs if they dont buy it, they just wont get rewarded, or some other restriction.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Thats a little bit different than taking a full AAA price and releasing DLCs on top of it or trying to milk the customer with "season passes" right after.

What really bothers me about the "DLC" is that they're pushing the hell out of it, yet have never really said what exactly it will be. There's vague mention of new areas being open to everyone, and the DLC including new races and weapon skins. Frankly that sounds way too Horse Armor-y to be all of it, especially at those prices.

Add to that, the game has only one leveling path (trust me, it's a blast at first, but gets real old real quick), and no "class" system (any character can get every perk and power) so there's very close to no incentive to level alts.

To the best of my knowledge there's never been a paid "DLC" for an MMO, so we don't really have any reference point. You'd think they'd put at least some flesh on those bones before trotting out "Season passes" (however long a "season" may be, they've been incredibly vague about their plans there, too) for sale.

Originally posted by Myria

What really bothers me about the "DLC" is that they're pushing the hell out of it, yet have never really said what exactly it will be. There's vague mention of new areas being open to everyone, and the DLC including new races and weapon skins. Frankly that sounds way too Horse Armor-y to be all of it, especially at those prices.

Add to that, the game has only one leveling path (trust me, it's a blast at first, but gets real old real quick), and no "class" system (any character can get every perk and power) so there's very close to no incentive to level alts.

To the best of my knowledge there's never been a paid "DLC" for an MMO, so we don't really have any reference point. You'd think they'd put at least some flesh on those bones before trotting out "Season passes" (however long a "season" may be, they've been incredibly vague about their plans there, too) for sale.

Well, I guess it depends on what you call DLC.  DDO has dungeons, races, classes, among tons of other things in their shop, I would definately consider that DLC.  Champions has archetyles, and the like, STO has races and ships, EQ2 had classes and races, same with vanguard, so there is plenty of stuff that could be called DLC.

They are probablly going with the DLC term, since console players are more familiar with the term.  it all means the same thing in the end.

As far as price goes?  let me say this, $25 sparkle pony

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Derros

a few, optional, dlcs, vs a sub?  I'll take the DLCs.  You can make the argument that subs are actually just paying for DLC in installments =D, and it costs alot more.  They have already said in the IGN video, they intend to let people play the content of the DLCs if they dont buy it, they just wont get rewarded, or some other restriction.

I get your point and agree an extend. But how "optional" these DLCs have yet to be seen.

At the end of the day they want people to buy it, thats the business model. It'll be just too tempting to not include mandatory stuff like new abilities, perks, weapons. I would be VERY surprised if the DLCs would contain only cosmetic stuff like skins.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    This game is decent sofar the story is ok , would be alot more fun if there were more than 10 people online. Seriously where is everbody is there more than 1 server for PC? This game would be 10x more fun with a group, and I agree this season pass crap doesn't cut it. Give us the whole game for $60 bucks charge console players the base game for $20, and $10 for each DLC.
    Originally posted by Derros

I get your point and agree an extend. But how "optional" these DLCs have yet to be seen.

At the end of the day they want people to buy it, thats the business model. It'll be just too tempting to not include mandatory stuff like new abilities, perks, weapons. I would be VERY surprised if the DLCs would contain only cosmetic stuff like skins.

That's why you dont need to buy ut right now.  You can but it when they release the info for exactly whats in it.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

At this point, we don't even know what the game will contain at release. In the recent stream, the question regarding how many zones will be available at start was vaguely answered and the question about how much "game" we'll be getting at release was dodged with "i don't know...really".

Basicly, so far it has always been like "beta doesn't show the whole game", "alpha is under NDA" and "the game will be huge, trust me".

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Really enjoying the game did everything in it from Arkfalls to the PvP and loved it. It feels like they are trying to give you a game that just flows really well but with stuff on the side and to me it works well for what it is a game. As for everyone saying the ui is bad and controls are not good I dont know I use a game pad and it works fine. Also the PS3 version looks and plays the same as the PC so far and they both are exactly the same. I see tons of peeps in both and have seen some big ARKfalls that had 50 some players in them and that was a little crazy. But I have been enjoying the size of the map they offer and can not wait for the live version on PS3.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

At this point, we don't even know what the game will contain at release. In the recent stream, the question regarding how many zones will be available at start was vaguely answered and the question about how much "game" we'll be getting at release was dodged with "i don't know...really".

Basicly, so far it has always been like "beta doesn't show the whole game", "alpha is under NDA" and "the game will be huge, trust me".

I do agree that the whole Alpha NDA thing is a bit much at this point. You would think with just over a week to go until launch they would want people who have been playing in Alpha and experiencing more of the game to reveal more information that the tiny bit available in Beta. But theyve pretty clearly stated that NDA for alpha will remain in place probably right up until like a day or 2 before launch, if it is lifted at all.

Ill leave you with this bit of information though. What is currently available in Beta, just in pure area / landmass alone, is roughly about 1/4 to 1/3 of what will be in for launch. That also does not account for additional co-op missions not available in beta.

Personally, I was at around 900-1k EGO before I got through the existing storyline, which from what the devs have said is just leading up to the start of the show with more to be added as the show progresses. Being at that EGO rating was also while stuck dealing with a nasty bug at the time which really slowed down my EGO leveling. Would have been more like 1400-1600 if I had been progressing as I should have been.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Not particularly impressed by the storyline so far- seems sci-fi generic.  And the game reminds me of Hellgate London in a persistent world. I actually liked Hellgate London but inspite of the features, there really wasn't a lot else to keep me around and I get the same feeling here.  In my opinion, fps and loot grinding games (D2, HG, TL, things like that) are both shallow enterprises that aren't without their own charm but I would love to see some depth (better customization, different grids, even some social fluff would be nice)

I didn't mind the UI as much as I thought it would. I went in expecting a nightmare based on others' impressions of it and I was pleasantly not that let down. It's a bit unintuitive but I'm sure that will be tweaked in the future. The chat though IS really sloppy. I'm sure they'll do something with it in the near future as well.

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Been there done that its TR mixed with Rift.

Chatting ? wlll not in this game, hell console boys dont have keyboards so who cares eh...

Disspearing stuff. hapened to me 2 times now lost a purple fully moded Sniper Rifle and a Assault rifle.

(not that it acualy  mattters white green blue purple orange its all the same)

Saw no progression at all like the other guy sad run and shoot stuff.

Powerlevel is bugged to onte time say 130 then 180 and then its 270 (my ego is 280 so yeah i played :P )

Wanted to buy the preorder. (and like allways get ripped off) but i think hmz first the beta weekend (and oh my god is it beta)

Lukey i did not buy it :P

Hey look i got 250 more hp now uber ega perk.. wtf was my hp before ? if it was 2000 250 aint nothing. (who knows what it is)

Had more fun in Firefall and that is 5% finished and is never gona come out :P

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'd buy the game for 15€ in it's current shape. It feels rushed and at least 6 months early for launch, but pushing it back is simply not possible due to the TV show.

Animations and sounds are bad which gives it a very B-grade feeling when playing. Just because of the sounds I cant take it much in a single session. Who in the sound team decided that every gun in the game should sound as if they were sinlenced?

Not neccesarily silenced (at least as the fake hollywood "peu peu" sound) but none of the guns I have shoot with so far has absolutely no bass or bang at all. I thought it would be my sound settings but changing those did nothing so it must be a design desicion.

My character sways like a boat on the ocean when I run, kinda like running at a tar pit at the same time, sprinting is quite okay though. The way the enemy mutants fly in the air 60 yards after shooting them with a shotgun at close range is ridicilous, and it happens on the killing blow only anyway, I guess the killing blow has a lot more force for some reason?

There's a lot of other stuff too but I just cant be arsed to talk about it really, I liked some things, but too much of the core gameplay feels cheap and sounds bad, if the animations and sounds get fixed I'll propably buy the game, but not in it's current shape. I dont mind the grindy feeling of the game, it's just as I expected and I kinda wanted it to be simple and easy to hop in and out of.

Really looking forward for the TV show, and hope it's in a bit better shape though ;P

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm still having fun, but I can see all the signs of longevity issues I hate to see in an otherwise cool MMO.

I think B2P will help the game a lot, as will the tie in with the series.

The game will likely sink or swim on the quality of the DLC. The combat is fun and you definitely need to make use of terrain and cover in a number of missions, which I personally really like. However, the game world, though beautiful in it's own way, starts to become a blur of similar vistas and locales. I think on the content side, for me any way, the quality cutscenes during the main mission storyline make a huge difference for the game. The downside is that the story is linear, so after one or two runs through most people will be skipping them, plus the DLCs really will need to offer fully voiced and motion captured cutscenes to avoid fan disapointment.

I'm going to buy it. I already love the way the game lets you get to know key chracters from the series and the game wiorld itself. However, I'm couching my game play expectaions in that I will be very happy if I can get 80 to 160 hours out of the game as it ships. (I hope I'm right that it will provide at least that much). I think it will be a fun companion to the TV series and a nice change of pace type of title, rather than a game I'd want to play 15+ hours a week for months on end.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50

Like spookydom said. I also agree there are some nice things in this game, but in the end I have more a fps feeling with it then a mmo feeling. For me I compare it with fallen earth. Your char walking feel like crap but when riding around in a car or on a chopper it is great.

If you like a fps mmo shooter kind of thing, I would suggest fallen earth.

Since the idea is that the game will be together with the tv show I have the feeling to much dlc will be added in a short time and you are allmost forced to buy and play them fast to keep up with the show.

Thats why I have decided to wait for a while, and will watch the tv show.

I have played the beta this weekend for lots of hours (when europe servers down, I continue on at the usa server) and like some others mentioned in there responses, where are the other players? Sometimes I see suddenly some purple dots but most of the time I am alone walking around and shooting things again and again.

But they can't ofcourse satisfy all. I am more the explorer and gatherer kind of mmo player. And maybe I am just getting to old for this kind of fps ;)

• Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by GeeksWithGames
    Firefall seems very interesting, I haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet.

Firefall it's free,this is the main reason that brings more people to say it's better,obviusly there are many who are trying to redirect hype towards Firefall for this reason,because if these people judge Defiance overall graphics and animation as poor I don't really understand how could be possible that they like Firefall look which is worst.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Nicco77
    Firefall seems very interesting, I haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet.

Firefall it's free,this is the main reason that brings more people to say it's better,obviusly there are many who are trying to redirect hype towards Firefall for this reason,because if these people judge Defiance overall graphics and animation as poor I don't really understand how could be possible that they like Firefall look which is worst.

firefall imho has better animiations and more solid feeling shooting mechanics not to mention 3rd and 1st person views.. only thing defiance has over it in this department is world graphics..  i actually like the look of the cartoony character models in firefall a bit more than the defiance character models.. firefall just has pretty boring PVE overall which if improved would make it a really fun game...

the jump, dodge, and sprint animations are horrid in defiance i dunno how you could defend those.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

firefall imho has better animiations and more solid feeling shooting mechanics not to mention 3rd and 1st person views.. only thing defiance has over it in this department is world graphics..  i actually like the look of the cartoony character models in firefall a bit more than the defiance character models.. firefall just has pretty boring PVE overall which if improved would make it a really fun game...

the jump, dodge, and sprint animations are horrid in defiance i dunno how you could defend those.

And aside from that firefall is garbage compared to this game, might i add that firefall has been in beta what...a year now?

game mechanics and gameplay itself defiance wins hands down. that and defiance feels like a much larger budget game than firefall.  was never a fan of the super boring mining via guarding the thumper.  that got old real quick.

anyway, yes your character view is akward at first, something that takes about an hour to get over.  while run and jump animations are anything but realistic, were talking about a major non factor to a game being fun or not.

Originally posted by BrownAle

And aside from that firefall is garbage compared to this game, might i add that firefall has been in beta what...a year now?

game mechanics and gameplay itself defiance wins hands down. that and defiance feels like a much larger budget game than firefall.  was never a fan of the super boring mining via guarding the thumper.  that got old real quick.

don't agree at all i found firefall had a much more responsive and smooth shooting experience and was nice being able to go from first to third person. Firefall changed a lot in the last few patches.. overall i do agree its obvious defiance has the bigger budget and many more things going for it. But the animations really need work imho. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

don't agree at all i found firefall had a much more responsive and smooth shooting experience and was nice being able to go from first to third person. Firefall changed a lot in the last few patches.. overall i do agree its obvious defiance has the bigger budget and many more things going for it. But the animations really need work imho. 

Nah firefall was just as smooth as defiance.  your letting run and jump aninmations, which has zero factor in a game being fun, as well as an akward tps view that takes about an hour to get use to ruin the game for you?

i mean i sometimes nitpick games but this is kinda over the top. i think defiance looks just fantastic, and it has unique gameplay, which is a big plus given how the mmorpg genere is right now.

still wont pick the game up until i hear about endgame.  somthing like that is a major factor, jump and run animations, and a TPS view that takes a very short time to get use to isnt.

if you havent already uninstalled after your brief play, i suggest you spend a few hours getting use to the game, it does have a learning curve.  the game was average at first but became very fun once i learned how to play and got use to its quirks. for me it was the weapon mechanics that once i learned, changed the game for me. 

again though i tend to nitpick more on the things that majorly effect the enjoyment factor of the game, character animations like running and jumping...lol yeah nice when they are realistic, but they never are realistic in any game, and it has zero bearing on if im having fun or not.

Nah firefall was just as smooth.  your letting run and jump aninmations, which has zero factor in a game being fun, as well as an akward tps view that takes about an hour to get use to ruin the game for you?

i mean i sometimes nitpick games but this is kinda over the top. i think defiance looks just fantastic, and it has unique gameplay, which is a big plus given how the mmorpg genere is right now.

still wont pick the game up until i hear about endgame.  somthing like that is a major factor, jump and run animations, and a TPS view that takes a very short time to get use to isnt.

no the animations aren't what ruin this game for me but obviously don't help.. it just feels very generic to me all around. Nothing really sucked me in or wanted me to continue playing at all(between two weekend betas put in about 20 hours total)..  also not sure what you mean by unique gameplay it plays like a basic third person shooter without a decent cover mechanic.. i'm a big fan of trion overall but really let down so far by this one.. oh well

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Edit - I made a mess of the post, disregard this please..

but hey the firefall forums are over there--->

that game is low pop for a reason, your not going to pick up many players here.

our thoughts on defaiance beta have nothing to do with that game or what that game does, try to stay on topic?

-yes you made that post a hot mess. take it to the firefall forums.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

anyway, yes your character view is akward at first, something that takes about an hour to get over.  while run and jump animations are anything but realistic, were talking about a major non factor to a game being fun or not.

It has to be said that this is simply not true, not by any stretch of the imagination, in fact Firefall is superior to Defiance when it comes to both movement and shooting mechanics which are the most important things when it comes to shooters.

Originally posted by Vlacke

It has to be said that this is simply not true, not by any stretch of the imagination, in fact Firefall is superior to Defiance when it comes to both movement and shooting mechanics which are the most important things when it comes to shooters.

this is what i found as well.. i'm not really a big fan of firefall overall and actually don't enjoy shooters that much tbh but it's not hard to tell when a game has smoother and more fluid shooting mechanics overall which obviously is the biggest thing in a shooter game.  Only real reason I bring up firefall in comparison is because firefall is the only other mmo shooter i have played recently to make a comparison to.