Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That was awful, I tried but couldn't take it anymore

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I've learned to accept that most MMOs just have awful character models. I don't know why, but its just something they can't get right.

Wow has good ones, I still think they look good to this day. Not high in polygon count and texture resolutions obviously but very tasteful and well done for its time and it still looks good as a result.

GW2 has amazing character models, very detailed and just natural looking. Especially the Asura and Charr.

And I still think DAoC has awesome character models. I started a trial again just to mess around, and a Furbolg STILL looks epicly awesome on there. I'm sure they've updated them some, but EQ1 updated their models and they still looked awful.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

Yeah I don't know what the deal is. There are a few that excel in this area like you mentioned. Aion does an incredible job with this as well.

Normally though it is lackluster or straight up awful in a lot of mmos for some reason. Hell, one of my favorite mmos, LOTR, is downright terrible in this area. Which is amazing because the mobs, landscapes, etc. are incredible in that game yet the animations/models for players' characters is fucking abysmal.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,068
    I imagine that like most things in life, people will either like it or not like it.

But there is a difference between being that one gamer who is like: "That game just wasn't for me"  and being that other gamer who is like: "Good grief why did they not create that game exactly the way i imagine a video game should be created?!"

It's always best to leave high expectations at the door and try not to associate past experiences with new ones, otherwise a person is just setting themselves up for disappointment from the get-go.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

OP pretty much summs it up for me.

And yes, I like SWTOR too.

/shrug

I enjoyed it. Nothing extraordinary mind you but it was about what I expected. If it was B2P or P2P I doubt I would play it but since they're going F2P I'll probably be tinkering with it for a while at least.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• agentsi1511agentsi1511 Member UncommonPosts: 47

I've enjoyed it enoguh to have almost 2, level 20 characters. The game to me has some bugs, that is obvious. But to play for 3 hours, and only be lvl 6-7. Means you spent more time hating on the game, than actually playing it. It is 100% free to play at launch. No restrictions as of yet. To complain about "lip synching" is pretty petty imo, and furthermore gives me the impression you're just hating to hate. Combat is fluid, zooming is an annoyance, since you can't. 

PvP is fun, the way events are constantly going on in the community and you're being told of them is neat. SWTOR while was fun for a bit, is extremely bland. Who plays MMO's for story telling? That is a single player game thing. You play MMO's for the social interaction, AND all of the great things RPG's have to off. 

Graphic settings, when you phiscally max everything, and actually put it on DX11, look good. You can't have a city like they do with super intense graphics, it would bog down a lot of machines. 

IMO, OP is just hating. Try the game yourself, its worth the 4GB download in the beta. 

PS. How do you love a game like SWTOR so much, but only reach lvl 48? The end stories for the class quests were great. Obvisouly story telling isn't really that important to you.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I don't really have a final thought on the game, but I can't escape the feeling that I get thinking Cryptic is trying to do the least amount possible and still have a MMO to push.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    I got kinda hooked on the trickster rogue combat, the pvp instances were supprsingly fun. For what this game is (a free mmo.) Its really damn good imo

Originally posted by Bookah
    I got kinda hooked on the trickster rogue combat, the pvp instances were supprsingly fun. For what this game is (a free mmo.) Its really damn good imo

Yeah I agree. My only real concern with this game is if they're going to continue to add content on a regular and that they don't fuck things up with the cash shop.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

My only complains are:

1) Linear questing

2) Lack of character building options (and this really makes this game unplayable for me)

- You can't choose your at will / encounter / daily powers

- You can't choose a weapon type for your character

- Rolling for stats with preset results (only minor complain here)

3) All these helping tools that are turned on by default (sparkling line that holds your hand to quest site, really?)

4) Optimization

- I have very little problems to play new games on my oldish rig (Rift is one of the exeptions), but even tho graphs in Neverwinter doesn't look that great, the game is like a slide show in city area.

It's not a bad game for what it is, but with these character building options i wouldn't call Neverwinter an RPG.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by deniter

My only complains are:

1) Linear questing

2) Lack of character building options (and this really makes this game unplayable for me)

- You can't choose your at will / encounter / daily powers

- You can't choose a weapon type for your character

- Rolling for stats with preset results (only minor complain here)

3) All these helping tools that are turned on by default (sparkling line that holds your hand to quest site, really?)

4) Optimization

- I have very little problems to play new games on my oldish rig (Rift is one of the exeptions), but even tho graphs in Neverwinter doesn't look that great, the game is like a slide show in city area.

It's not a bad game for what it is, but with these character building options i wouldn't call Neverwinter an RPG.

1)

I've heard this a lot and am hoping the Foundry will help as the DMs out there take charge and make fantastic adventures with their very powerful tool (had a chance to use it in the past, it's amazing).

2)

You should be able to choose those things once you unlock and earn them.

3)

You're able to turn off help quite easily.  At the start it's extremely useful and intelligent to have it on so that players not adept to an MMO will know to go to the boxes in front of you as opposed to just running past them and quiting out of annoyance.

4)

People have been complaining about this.  Personally I get about 90 FPS with it all maxed, but this is exceedingly low as I'm usually about 150-200 FPS in games that are a bit better looking.  I'm not sure if it works with SLI yet, and I'm interested in seeing how well my Titan will work with it when I get it in the mail in a bit.

As a whole this seems to be much like it's Neverwinter predecessors in a lot of ways; it reminds me of it in terms of graphics, in addition to allowing DMs to have the tools to craft their own adventures for people to play in.  :D

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by arche22

I'm afraid you lost all credibility at "Graphics are horrible". Either your settings were wrong, or you are intentionally misleading people.

He lost me when he said it has the most boring beginning since Aion.  I loved Aion's first 20 levels.  It's only after that that I started to lose interest.  

Now I don't have much interest in Neverwinter yet myself.  I don't know much about it, but I'm also not really ooking for a new game.  I'm just saying that this poster and I clearly have different likes and dislikes in games, and his opinion wouldn't be one I could go by.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by HorrorScope
    I don't really have a final thought on the game, but I can't escape the feeling that I get thinking Cryptic is trying to do the least amount possible and still have a MMO to push.

I saw a similar complaint while playing yesterday.  Heck, maybe it was you. lol.  Still, I think of this less like a full fledged MMO and more of a group based dungeon crawler / 3D Diablo.  It's obviously NOT meant to compete with things like Guild Wars 2 or WoW with their huge open worlds and public quests (not speaking of WoW obviously).  People seem to think that this is every single game's goal, and it just isn't.

• nubcakes72nubcakes72 Member Posts: 1

Aion, wasnt to bad for me until 20-25ish.

Again, graphics.. um, what? Am I the only person that thought for a F2P game that the graphics were actually pretty damn nice!? Whatcha expecting here, Skryim, Crysis 3 type shit? Get real people.

Now combat, DragonsNest, Tera, Raiderz - all the same, guess you havent really gotten around to many MMOs. Not the best but was not bad at all. I really like this type of combat style.

Customization and voiced quests, they are nice but not needed. I had never noticed anything being out of sync but could see that be a tad annoying if it was constantly doing it.

Questing seemed to be okay for me, I am more of a PVP guy - enjoyed the dungeons and player made content as well. Gave me of a Diablo-ish feel when I was playing.

Alright, animations were lacking - you got me there.

SWTOR and GW2 - seriously? I actually was more hooked on this game in the first few hours then on either one of those. Sure, they may of had pretty graphics but the games themselves were just crap.

Being hit with nothing on the screen, trap? Maybe you seen a red circle that was moving on the ground, invisible mobs ya know.

Geez, I just cannot figure out how a games like SWTOR, Rift, GW2, Age of Wushu, etc just get so much love when they are just horrible to play and NW here - F2P game gets shat on. Guess thats just like, yalls opinion man.

Haters gonna hate. Game is in beta, it is not perfect but damn if it isnt 100% better then most paid for MMOs on the market. So much potential is there, hopefully they can make it happen.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Well, after my second round of playing, I think I will pass. This game has me screaming to play GW2.  I spent 8+ hrs playing the game and the hack and slash is not for me.   I want something that does not having me chase a carrot on a stick. Still waiting on something to meet my gaming needs. I think everyone should give it a try since it is free to play and I like the ip.   Hoping AA and TESO bring their A game. 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I thought the game was ok for what it is.  People should not go into it thinking this is the next AAA MMO with lots of depth and a virtual world feel.  This is linear, freedom limited and ok for some cheap fun.  Seeing Cryptic as the developer should clue people into what type of MMO they are getting.

I think the graphics were passable but I'm suprised some on here think they are top notch...they aren't even close.

The combat is nice although not up to par with Dragon Nest/Vindictus.  

I'm suprised I liked it at all considering most linear questing games last me about 2 hours max.  I haven't tried the foundry and I'm basing most of my hopes on that.  

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I thought the game was ok for what it is.  People should not go into it thinking this is the next AAA MMO with lots of depth and a virtual world feel.  This is linear, freedom limited and ok for some cheap fun.  Seeing Cryptic as the developer should clue people into what type of MMO they are getting.

I think the graphics were passable but I'm suprised some on here think they are top notch...they aren't even close.

I'm suprised I liked it at all considering most linear questing games last me about 2 hours max.  I haven't tried the foundry and I'm basing most of my hopes on that.  

LOL, another post saying a games graphics are bad, you do realize its an MMo right?? Everything is low poly for a reason, if you want High poly stick to God of war, Skyrim....

I can already see people with Elder scrolls online expecting those graphics, if they did that, none of you would be able to play that with those weak computers, Age of conan tried that and people complained and the game did poorly, understand how MMo's are made before making statements like the graphics aren't good...... Funny stuff about graphics today with people, to funny, I laugh at this every time I SEE it on this forum about a game graphics..

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I played the whole weekend, or most of it anyway .. probably about 20 hours and I have to agree with pretty much everything you have said. Definitely won't bother clogging up my SSD with this POS.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    Originally posted by Mardukk I thought the game was ok for what it is.  People should not go into it thinking this is the next AAA MMO with lots of depth and a virtual world feel.  This is linear, freedom limited and ok for some cheap fun.  Seeing Cryptic as the developer should clue people into what type of MMO they are getting.   I think the graphics were passable but I'm suprised some on here think they are top notch...they aren't even close.   The combat is nice although not up to par with Dragon Nest/Vindictus.     I'm suprised I liked it at all considering most linear questing games last me about 2 hours max.  I haven't tried the foundry and I'm basing most of my hopes on that.  
    LOL, another post saying a games graphics are bad, you do realize its an MMo right?? Everything is low poly for a reason, if you want High poly stick to God of war, Skyrim....

I can already see people with Elder scrolls online expecting those graphics, if they did that, none of you would be able to play that with those weak computers, Age of conan tried that and people complained and the game did poorly, understand how MMo's are made before making statements like the graphics aren't good...... Funny stuff about graphics today with people, to funny, I laugh at this every time I SEE it on this forum about a game graphics..

sorry but AoC's graphics are 10x better than NW and AoC came out what? 5 years ago? This game just looks bad. Poor art direction. I love the feel of a lot of it, dark, dirty almost scary ... it just looks bad.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Yeah... I gotta chime in as well and just ask what games have you been playing lately that you could possibly consider the graphics in NWO as being "good" in a modern sense? Maxed out 200%, etc. looks like something from the 2004-06 era. It was definitely playable and they didn't do a bad job working with what they had, but the overall feel of the game was lackluster to say the least. 

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49

Being MMO doesnt justify bad graphics. The best thing with computers is you can make it as detailed as you want. Lagging? Lower resolution. Turn off dynamic shadow. Have a monster pc? Turn everything to max. A competent developer should be able to make this possible. So if the game is well designed there shouldnt be people whining about lagging game.

And Im not even a graphics whore. Im playing DDO because its fun. Dont even care about the graphics.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

Why do I get the feeling you bought a 200$ pack for this game?

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    It's made by cryptic, I had low expectations when I saw they were developing another game. Heavy instancing is boring. And people in zone chat were actually saying the graphics are stunning. I told them they must have a low standard for graphics then. I had the graphics on max, and it wasn't stunning in any possible way.

I don't think most really think that. I think what they differ on are those saying they're terrible or awful.

Frankly, anyone saying the graphics in this game are amazing or the opposite end as in saying they're awful looks just as foolish.

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167
    Have to agree with you, and I'm impressed you made it 3 hours. Something about the game just struck a wrong note for me and I barely made it one. I was bored out of my mind and thought the graphics looked attrocius. 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The graphics are average, but not so terrible as many of you make it to be.  I think the problem is, that Cryptic went overboard in designing for lower end specs, hence all the bad impressions when people turned down the settings.  If you turn them all the way up, it's not so bad.  Coupled with the atrocious animations though, it left a very bad impression on me.