Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll): Which kind of class do you like to play? [For real this time!]

2»

Comments

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Very hard choice. I prefer any long range damage. But if crafters can make stuff that really matters I will spend some time with that to.:)
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    It depends on how combat system works. For example, in some games I find playing tanks to be dreadfully boring, while in other games tanks are fairly well designed and useful in PvP. I generally like archers and tanks. My ideal class is an archer that doesn't have stealth, but is also a good melee fighter instead.
  • dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    I think these results are proof that we need perma-stealth in the game.
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

Don't see how you equate that. It says stealth, not perma stealth nor invisible stelath.

I'd like to play a stealth class that relies more on the enviornment and limited stealth where  it relies more on player skill and strategy then "run around invisible and backstab people to death."

GAmes like Mgs, splinter Cell, Thief, are far more fun to play as far as "stealth" games go then most mmo's with "poof invisible" style stealth.

There have been many good threads on this subject that detail ways to make stealth different from that and tie it into more strategical uses and ways to counter/be countered.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I like playing healer and support classes mostly. If however the stealth classes are as overpowered as they are in every other mmo, I'll definately have a stealther just to be able to have some stealth group fun, and ditch the healer.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Stiler

Don't see how you equate that. It says stealth, not perma stealth nor invisible stelath.

I'd like to play a stealth class that relies more on the enviornment and limited stealth where  it relies more on player skill and strategy then "run around invisible and backstab people to death."

GAmes like Mgs, splinter Cell, Thief, are far more fun to play as far as "stealth" games go then most mmo's with "poof invisible" style stealth.

There have been many good threads on this subject that detail ways to make stealth different from that and tie it into more strategical uses and ways to counter/be countered.

Limited stealth isn't viable in open world PvP. You'll just get ganked by groups repeatedly.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Yeah single player games involve only npcs who can be fooled by "tacticcal stealth." MMOs have dozens to hundreds of real humans around you constantly panning their camera looking for any sign of enemies.

That is an unrealistic form of observation, so to simulate stealth you either need an equivalently unrealistic representation of it, or have to limit the observational skills of players drastically compared to what most 3rd person MMOs offer.
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Limited stealth isn't viable in open world PvP. You'll just get ganked by groups repeatedly.

How is limited stealth not vaible? There's been PLENTY of good idea's posted about this in stealth topics, for stealth to be different, coutnerable, work more for scouts vs the backstabby front loaded burst dps, etc.

Originally posted by PerfArt
    Yeah single player games involve only npcs who can be fooled by "tacticcal stealth." MMOs have dozens to hundreds of real humans around you constantly panning their camera looking for any sign of enemies.

That is an unrealistic form of observation, so to simulate stealth you either need an equivalently unrealistic representation of it, or have to limit the observational skills of players drastically compared to what most 3rd person MMOs offer.

Allow shadows to base stealth around, in the shadows you are stealthed, out of shadows you are more visible.

Allow stealthers to use foilage and other things to hide in (MGS "box" style) so in area's they can hide and set up ambushes. Imagin ea road that cuts through a forest area and stealthers can hide in bushes and things along it waiting for a  caravan, then when it passes they can jump out and start attacking. That's good logical stealth that makes more sense then poof invisible style.

Allow climing, tree's, etc which can help stealthers hide and attack from above, a ranger or something would be ripe for this kind of ability. Also allowing them to scale walls and other things.

Allow stealthers to use disguises, which can make them appear as a different realm, however allow certain other classes ways to detect/counter them. So it's a game of cat and mouse. This is something that can be a lot more thrilling/fun then just "invisible" stealth imo. Being able to infiltrate an enemy realm and things. Imagine a stealther who uses this, goe sinto a keep and then makes his way tot he gate and raises it so his guild can attack and make their way inside the gate without having to break it down.

There are many ways to do stealth without just doing the same old invisible perma stealth.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I would be down with that, Stiler, if done right. Just hard to imagine any mmo dev being able to actually program a playable version of that system. But I would be down for it.

How is limited stealth not vaible? There's been PLENTY of good idea's posted about this in stealth topics, for stealth to be different, coutnerable, work more for scouts vs the backstabby front loaded burst dps, etc.

Originally posted by PerfArt

Allow shadows to base stealth around, in the shadows you are stealthed, out of shadows you are more visible.

Allow stealthers to use foilage and other things to hide in (MGS "box" style) so in area's they can hide and set up ambushes. Imagin ea road that cuts through a forest area and stealthers can hide in bushes and things along it waiting for a  caravan, then when it passes they can jump out and start attacking. That's good logical stealth that makes more sense then poof invisible style.

Allow climing, tree's, etc which can help stealthers hide and attack from above, a ranger or something would be ripe for this kind of ability. Also allowing them to scale walls and other things.

Allow stealthers to use disguises, which can make them appear as a different realm, however allow certain other classes ways to detect/counter them. So it's a game of cat and mouse. This is something that can be a lot more thrilling/fun then just "invisible" stealth imo. Being able to infiltrate an enemy realm and things. Imagine a stealther who uses this, goe sinto a keep and then makes his way tot he gate and raises it so his guild can attack and make their way inside the gate without having to break it down.

There are many ways to do stealth without just doing the same old invisible perma stealth.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142

I think what you are ignoring here, not matter the poll results which really don't mean much since it is nowhere near being a random sampling, is that alottta people, including MJ (based on interviews and comments), think perma-stealth IS broken.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Not sure which one to pick. Where would you classify the minstrel, who could stealth, mezz, stun, speed, buff and melee damage? (probably a few I forgot) Truly the Swiss army knife of classes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

mmos in general i have as many different classes i can just like someone said earlier. (mood)

im sure if i ever play this one, it will be the same for me as always.

Originally posted by Daizedd

I think what you are ignoring here, not matter the poll results which really don't mean much since it is nowhere near being a random sampling, is that alottta people, including MJ (based on interviews and comments), think perma-stealth IS broken.

Well they are wrong. I thought so too until I played a witch hunter in WAR and a thief in GW2. Stealthing in DAoC doesn't even compare to those games.

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

Voted Ranged DPS/non-caster since I love my archers. Considered voting stealth since most archers normally are stealthers as well, but hopefully the two can combine as I do enjoy contributing with scouting reports in RvR.

Knowing myself I'll probably have a ton of alts, and probably a healer-type among them since I like to have a group friendly character ready for fun.