Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was thinking of giving the game a second go

Only thing stopping me, well, i bought the game, and i think the digital collectors, not the big one though.

So if i remember correctly my investment in the games "all in the past" and i can log on as a free player whos never paid a dime, meaning all slots are locked since i have more than the two they allow, as well as all my hotbars are not usable right?

See this is what Tera did right.  Im a founder there.  I have all slots unlocked, no queues (not that thats an issue) oh and they tossed me some cash shop coin.  See they remember i paid them once for the game.

SWTOR?  Tough luck, its a free game now and you need to pay us...again...for the basic game...again.

This turns me off.  I would prefer to jump in on a new character, see if the game sparks my interest.  Not going to deal with a company that cant remember whos paid them and who hasnt. 

I dunno, it just doesnt feel right.

Anyway...did they pull their heads out of their asses and allow past paying players who...you know...bought the game...to play the basics for free...im not asking for all the new crap they developed for the f2p...just the basics.  full character slots full hot bars...cant think of anything else they restricted since last time i was on it was very brief and most my time spent figuring out new names for old characters that had to be renamed...on some strange and dead server too...man i was on fatman that server was the highest activity server in game, even during the decline.  WTF happend?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    If a consumer doesn't like something, don't play it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

i think as a former subscriber you're in the 'preferred' column, and get 4 hotbars to use, could be wrong.

...but really you dont seem too excited about the prospect of playing swtor lol.  just sub if you want to play the game, any 'F2P' restrictions wil quickly become a nuisance if you play more than an hour a week.

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 158
    You can play the "free" version enough to know if you think it's worth subbing or not. Don't pay first, try it out and make sure you feel very motivated before handing EA any cash.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Well, SWTOR has one of the most restrictive F2P business models ever, but it is that way to help shove F2P gamers (vets & noobs) into a subscription or into the cash shop frequently. I dare say the vast majority currently playing are paying subscribers.

It will cost you nothing (except time and hard drive space) to see if you can tolerate the F2P game model and see what few perks those who origanlly paid for the game  get. I myself have no intentions of returning to SWTOR anytime in the near future, but if I did, I would just reactivate my sub for a month to avoid the F2P restrictions. It would be welll worth a $15 sub fee to avoid the aggravation and allow me to really evaluate the game currently (which I already know hasn't changed much).

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

If you have played SWTOR before then you will come back as a preferred player who gets 6 character slots and 4 quick bars. You can play all the way through from 1-50 ( tera doesn't ) , also you just missed out on your free cartel coins , you would have got free ones for the amount of months you subbed for in the past.

In version 2.0 you can gain up to a total of 700 Cartel coins with achivement. Lots of unlocks are cheap on the GTN and you can have a maximum of 350 , 000 in-game credits per character. Will be easy to buy xp boosts and other unlocks for cheap off the GTN with in-game credits.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Prophecy of the Five is a good PVP server if thats what you're looking for.  Always packed (even the latter planets).
  • rabbakahnrabbakahn Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about the 6 slots. It said I had used all 6 when in fact I had only used 4.  Having no way to contact bioware other than a lengthy stay  on the phone, I am stuck with the error and little faith in their ability to satisfy their customers.  I am therefore reluctant to continue doing business with them.
  • dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Only thing stopping me, well, i bought the game, and i think the digital collectors, not the big one though.

So if i remember correctly my investment in the games "all in the past" and i can log on as a free player whos never paid a dime, meaning all slots are locked since i have more than the two they allow, as well as all my hotbars are not usable right? Anyway...did they pull their heads out of their asses and allow past paying players who...you know...bought the game...to play the basics for free...im not asking for all the new crap they developed for the f2p...just the basics.  full character slots full hot bars...cant think of anything else they restricted since last time i was on it was very brief and most my time spent figuring out new names for old characters that had to be renamed...on some strange and dead server too...man i was on fatman that server was the highest activity server in game, even during the decline.  WTF happend?

If you paid for the game, you get 4 hotbars, 8 characters, and should have lots of cartel coins waiting for you. It's a great deal.

Things still limited - you level slower, but with the current double xp weekends, this is not a big deal. You also can't wear purple items. That's probably the biggest one. You can buy an unlock for this.

It's a shame there's so much negative false info out there about this game. It's a great game for those who didn't have some expectation going in for a sandbox or eve online type game.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    If a consumer doesn't like something, don't play it.

That's my case, I don't. However I agree with the OP on the matter that former subscribers should not ne treated as new F2P players. We should keep at least what we had unlocked while we were paying.

Same thing happend with City of Heroes. I played for a couple years, stoped then played again, stoped. Then it went F2P, I thought hey maybe I should give it a try again. When I logged on all my characters and I don't remember what else was locked,. So all the money I spent counted zero, I was treated just like a new player who had never gave them any money.

I just didn't play the game anymore. I could have spent some money still on cash shop, helped to keep the game alive but I didn't. I refuse to play a game that treats a former subscriber like a new free loader.

Sme thing with SWTOR. Too bad for me but also not very good for them because I'm sure I'm not alone in this matter.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I dont see the vallue of this argument..

If you subscribe, you can continue where you left the game, nothing changed in that...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I dont see the vallue of this argument..

If you subscribe, you can continue where you left the game, nothing changed in that...

This. No one should get special treatment in preferred or FTP status based on when they last played the game. If you want the access that subscribers get then subscribe to the game like everyone else. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I just installed the game again and I thought you get cartel coins if you previously subscribed to the game? I had at least a 60 days subscription after the game was released but didn't get anything. It says 0 Cartel Points.
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by kartana
    I just installed the game again and I thought you get cartel coins if you previously subscribed to the game? I had at least a 60 days subscription after the game was released but didn't get anything. It says 0 Cartel Points.

Did you resubscribe around when f2p went live? Ill have to look up the date.. but there were 2 emails, the first revered to their site for more details, where the terms clearly where stated. The second email included the terms and revered to it on their site.

In both cases they indicated there being terms to actually do get them. Its a safe bet to say you didnt resub at the time, there for not taking them up on their offer and they dont owe you these points. They have been clear about that.