Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mark Jacobs and Company - Please do not REQUIRE monthly fees to play.

15678911»

Comments

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Stiler

Meanwhile you have games like WoW, sub-based, that are lucky to get patches, let alone content-updates that aren't made for expansions of some kind (and if you're lucky elements players without that expansion can experience).

Honestly, Stiler..  you can't compare WoW to anything in this industry.  WoW is a freak of nature and even Blizzard didn't predict their initial sales goals, much less long term peak performance; World of Warcraft literally is a cash cow.  Look at it from a business perspective, if you have millions of players chasing after the proverbial carrot on a stick that continue to pay month after month while having to wait half a year to a year to receive updates why change their business model?  

"Hell, I might as well keep playing since I've invested so much time on my [XYZ] class because I've been promised it'll be fixed in Patch V12.4.3 due out in seven months!"  - WoW Gamer #7,349,125

There's no disrespect to WoW or Blizzard as an entity, as they are obvious doing "something" right, but at this point in the game... I avoid comparing anything to World of Warcraft or Blizzard because they both have completely ruined the MMO industry. 

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by sweetdigs
    DISAGREE!!Make it a monthly subscription.  No cash house.  No pay to win.  No pay to level past level 20. Just a flat monthly subscription so everybody is on equal footing. 

this: nothing more annoying then hourly pop-ups about buying stuff in cash shops or trading card games.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Zintair
    Originally posted by morfidon
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

For everyone who is still anti-F2P: Try Path of Exile. Then compare it to D3 (unlimited funds).

You will find out that more money doesn't always equal better games.

WTF

You compare NOT mmo game to CU.

D3 and Path of Exile has nothing to do with mmo.

MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

If they are RPGS... Online... and massively multiplayer then yes they are MMOs and can be comapred in a light to CU.

Massively Multiplayer of 4 people online on one server? yea....

• alexisevicalexisevic Member Posts: 41

I have played mmo's since Ultima Online (my first), then EQ, AC, DAOC, Anarchy online, SWG, etc.

From my expeirence in terms of "updates" the game being free to play, or sub-based, had no real noticable impact in terms of patching and updates.

Guess you have never played EvE then.  Monthly fee, and two guaranteed free expansions per year.  Quality updates each patch.  MJ has already said the EvE model is an inspiration for him; I'd say thats a smart idea. 

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Zintair
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

For everyone who is still anti-F2P: Try Path of Exile. Then compare it to D3 (unlimited funds).

You will find out that more money doesn't always equal better games.

WTF

You compare NOT mmo game to CU.

D3 and Path of Exile has nothing to do with mmo.

MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

If they are RPGS... Online... and massively multiplayer then yes they are MMOs and can be comapred in a light to CU.

Massively Multiplayer of 4 people online on one server? yea....

Path of exile is similar in design to Guild Wars 1, the towns are hubs and support many people, way more then 4.

His point wasn't really about mmo's though, but rather saying that a free to play game, like Path of exile, is better then Diablo 3, which was a full priced title.

To many people that is a true statement, Path of exile seems to be more akin to Diablo 2, open skill tree's, etc and less of the RMAH focused design of diablo 3.

I prefer it by far over Diablo 3.

Originally posted by alexisevic

I have played mmo's since Ultima Online (my first), then EQ, AC, DAOC, Anarchy online, SWG, etc.

From my expeirence in terms of "updates" the game being free to play, or sub-based, had no real noticable impact in terms of patching and updates.

Guess you have never played EvE then.  Monthly fee, and two guaranteed free expansions per year.  Quality updates each patch.  MJ has already said the EvE model is an inspiration for him; I'd say thats a smart idea. 

I tried to play eve for a while but I just couldn't get past it's combat. A space game that uses a mmo style combat system just doens't do it for me. I've played too much Wing Commander/freespace/X-wing games that I can't really get past that style of combat, unless it's an RTS style space game (a la Homeworld/Sins of a solar empire).

Eve is pretty mucht he example of a niche sub game that has baffled the industry though, there's nor really one like it in terms of niche/success that relies on subs. If that's what Mark wants CU to be I hop eit gets it.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    If it's FTP I honestly won't even try it.  After all of the FTP titles I have tried this year (with the FTP hype), I have yet to find a single FTP game that I can stand the community.  Every single FTP or BTP title I have tried is filled with the worst dreges of humanity.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I would pay a sub-fee if that would mean there will be NO CASHSHOP in the game. However if they are going to put a cashshop in there then they should drop the sub fee. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well the mention of Wow is sort of a really bad example becuase they made millions and put nothing back into the game.I will say this,take ANY of the big games and the support is far superior as a matter of fact ,support in f2p games is not even there or is extremely terrible.

You also need to weigh in on what a game delivers for content.

a pefect example is the recent GW2,just like Gw1,you are not getting a ful fledged 5 year project with all content,you are getting 1/3 or 1/2 a game.So really what's the difference,you pay 15 a month for more cotnent and a more complete game,or you pay in extra xpacs to get the rest of your content that other games already gave you.

So you have one example of a developer investing a LOT more money,well of course they need to recoup that money,just the same as the developer that invests less.

I will say this much also,the few games i actually paid a sub to play,i have been quite happy,if i am not,i stop paying,it is as simple as that.The sub games that imo are not worthy of,i don't pay them and f2p games are often NEVER on my agenda,at least i don't expect to ever toss them money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

I avoid comparing anything to World of Warcraft or Blizzard because they both have completely ruined the MMO industry. 

Yes they have.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Well the mention of Wow is sort of a really bad example becuase they made millions and put nothing back into the game.I will say this,take ANY of the big games and the support is far superior as a matter of fact ,support in f2p games is not even there or is extremely terrible.

You also need to weigh in on what a game delivers for content.

a pefect example is the recent GW2,just like Gw1,you are not getting a ful fledged 5 year project with all content,you are getting 1/3 or 1/2 a game.So really what's the difference,you pay 15 a month for more cotnent and a more complete game,or you pay in extra xpacs to get the rest of your content that other games already gave you.

So you have one example of a developer investing a LOT more money,well of course they need to recoup that money,just the same as the developer that invests less.

I will say this much also,the few games i actually paid a sub to play,i have been quite happy,if i am not,i stop paying,it is as simple as that.The sub games that imo are not worthy of,i don't pay them and f2p games are often NEVER on my agenda,at least i don't expect to ever toss them money.

I question if you even played GW2? It's NOTHING like GW1 was really, it's a full fledged open-world mmo unlike GW1.

On top of this they have been releasing new content each month, adding new quests, new items, lore, events, etc. 

Even The Secret World has been doing some content updates every couple months or so and it's went from sub-based to free to play.

Asherons call was the best at doing this as far as sub-based games go back in the day, but in my expeirences playing sub-based mmo's, most updates are regarded to bug fixing/balancing tweaks and the new content is restricted toward expansions that you have to in-turn buy for the game usually. With some doing seasonabl/holiday updates with a small quest chain for grinding for ao reward or something.

I'm just not expeirencing this supposed "free to play = little/no updates; sub based = a lot of updates" that some of you are talking about.