Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Impressed! A couple questions...

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Been playing Neverwinter for the past 8 hours or so.  I only decided on a whim to even try the game a few days ago, until then I didn't bother learning anything at all about it.   After Star Trek Online I figured anything Cryptic could make would just be a thrown together re-skinned Champions Online (like STO was, at least when I played).

Anyway, I went into Neverwinter with 0 expectations, and came away very impressed.   It feels like someone added a slightly better version of TERA's combat system (which I love) into DDO, and updated it to GW2 graphics.  Fantastic game so far really loving it.  Since I haven't been following the game for the past 6+ months like I'm sure many of you have though, had a few questions:

1) When is the release date?  By release date I mean "last wipe" or in other words probably what they are going to call "Open beta" these days, since that's the same thing as release now.

2) I assume everything from these closed beta weekends is going to be wiped prior to the open beta release, is that correct?

3) I see they have a 5v5 hold the control points style BG, and I saw they also have some sort of "arena" does anyone know more about PvP options, specifically end-game ones?  Is there going to be any competitive combat (with teams and ratings or ladders or anything?)

4) Ran a few player made dungeons, very cool.   Do player dungeon creaters get anything out of their work besides bragging rights?   Also, I assume they can't set loot as that would be so exploited, but is loot from player dungeons better/worse than regular ones?   In other words, is there any incentive for players to run player dungeons except just to mess around?

Thanks for any answers, much appreciated.

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    now thats something new. a positive comment about neverwinter! i m playing beta too but dont have any comments to make yet. lets see, maybe others like it too :)
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Manolios
    now thats something new. a positive comment about neverwinter! i m playing beta too but dont have any comments to make yet. lets see, maybe others like it too :)

Positive comments are not rare, we're just too busy enjoying the game while whiners have nothing better to do. ;)

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by RollieJoe

Been playing Neverwinter for the past 8 hours or so.  I only decided on a whim to even try the game a few days ago, until then I didn't bother learning anything at all about it.   After Star Trek Online I figured anything Cryptic could make would just be a thrown together re-skinned Champions Online (like STO was, at least when I played).

Anyway, I went into Neverwinter with 0 expectations, and came away very impressed.   It feels like someone added a slightly better version of TERA's combat system (which I love) into DDO, and updated it to GW2 graphics.  Fantastic game so far really loving it.  Since I haven't been following the game for the past 6+ months like I'm sure many of you have though, had a few questions:

1) When is the release date?  By release date I mean "last wipe" or in other words probably what they are going to call "Open beta" these days, since that's the same thing as release now.

2) I assume everything from these closed beta weekends is going to be wiped prior to the open beta release, is that correct?

3) I see they have a 5v5 hold the control points style BG, and I saw they also have some sort of "arena" does anyone know more about PvP options, specifically end-game ones?  Is there going to be any competitive combat (with teams and ratings or ladders or anything?)

4) Ran a few player made dungeons, very cool.   Do player dungeon creaters get anything out of their work besides bragging rights?   Also, I assume they can't set loot as that would be so exploited, but is loot from player dungeons better/worse than regular ones?   In other words, is there any incentive for players to run player dungeons except just to mess around?

1) Estimated mid-late April. After this beta weekend there will be an open Beta phase, mostly stress and server performance tests before release.

2) Correct.

3) PvP is not really the main focus of the game, and I doubt the game will be very balanced around it. No more PvP quirks have been revealed beyond those that you mention.

4) You can donate currency to user-generated dungeons if you like them a lot, including Astral Diamonds. The creator of the dungeon will receive these donations which can be used to buy special ingame stuff like mounts and companions, or can be converted to Zen to buy anything from the cash shop. You can't set the loot, no, drops are rolled by the game using the creature's template and their corresponding loot tables. As for player incentives, there are events every few hours that reward increased XP gains from running Foundry content. Aside from that, the loot would be pretty much the same as you'd find elsewhere from the same kind of creatures and power level, but for me the biggest incentive is to see what other players can come up with, specially in the story-telling side that mmo's usually leave unattended.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Thanks Alber_gamer, very informative.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Well i started playing yesterday evening like most and was extremely suprised at how good it was..so i made a promise to myself and logged out..played for an hour this morning and i,m done..i know enough about the game to know i'll be there at release..i finished playing just has i reached lvl 7.

The reason i refuse to play any further is that i tend to burnout easily on games and i dont want to on this one..i love the setting,combat is fine and lastly the gfx are pretty good.all in all a good experience.

Thanks Alber_gamer, very informative.

Glad to be of help! 

If anyone has more info about the PvP than I do feel free to correct me.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Someone noted on the main forums that one of the big French outlets they've been working with, has a "pre-launch" event scheduled for late April.

So I'm thinking early to mid May, unless some huge issue pops up this weekend.

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93

Release date is pretty uncertain at this point. Today is the closed beta server stress test (you can net yourself a free pirate hat just by logging in today at 1pm pacific time to try to crash the server), which means that they are probably very close to open beta. I'd estimate that in a week or so, the CB test server will officially go live and stable, then a week or two after that Open Beta. Since it's Free to Play, it might as well be considered released at that point with various things subject to change. 

Usually, there is a wipe of all CB characters when the game transitions to OB, but that is the last wipe. That's not set in stone tho. 

As for PvP, matches as large as 20v20 have been confirmed. A large part of end-game for City of Heroes and Star Trek Online is (was) faction based PvP, so I would expect to see that, along with the usual end-game dungeon delves and "heroic/epic" versions of previous dungeons, which basically every MMO ever does. I expect the Foundry to be a large part of (my) end-game experience. 

Speaking of the Foundry, it nets randomized loot and XP based on time spent in the dungeon and monsters killed, so it rewards players in pretty much the same way as any standard quest. 

And yes, most of us who are enjoying the game are doing so quietly and submitting our bug reports rather than trying to drown out the whiners. They'll go away as soon as they get bored. I guess some people have too much time on their hands: they'd rather bitch about games they don't enjoy on a forum than play one they enjoy. 

That being said, to a certain extent negative feedback is important for beta testing, but only if it's actually specific and useful, which most complainers seem unable to do. Anyways, they've given away about 50,000 beta keys so far (not including any that have been sold and the friend keys that came with them), so there's obviously a healthy chunk of people already enjoying the game. 

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

1) not yet announced.

2) Not yet announced. High probability.

3) in NOCS dev said that end game PvP consists of two factions fighting each other. There are also PvE competitions.

4) This beta weekend most of the content was rushed at the last moment so it was raw and somewhat unpolished. You have no idea of the various ambitious projects in the pipeline :p

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Im also enjoying the game a ton!  The combat system is fun and the skills are well thought out so that they each serve a different purpose in battle, but in conjuction can be very powerful in the right order.  The world is great especially if you realize that the setup is going to be similar to D&D online....mostly instanced, but still plenty of open area as well.  The Foundry is the where I think I'll lose myself...Loved RPG maker and hope to make some really funny quests of my own in the Foundry :P....no seriousness for me here...

Coming from a complete Care Bear, I loved the PVP...had alot of fun with it...it's very basic from what I saw, but the combat and skills lend themselves well to having fun in PVP.

Did my first "dungeon" or whatever it's called and it wasn't all that challenging, but Im sure the challenge will increase with level...still having a blast after 2 beta weekends.