Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Even Blizz is going F2P

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

Not a MMO but still. It is a sign that Titan will also be F2P.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Ikisis
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

[mod edit]

What is so bad about it? I play lots of F2P MMO and have fun.

My kids go to private schools. I would much rather spend money on worthwhile stuff. Plus, even if i can afford it, why would i not play something for free because it is there and fun?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I dont see any scenario where Titan would be F2P at Launch , why would they .. and this is Blizz we are taliking about , they have 10 mill paying subs right now.... Now , Why would you not give that business model a chance to succeed with your Next product as it did with Wow...

Or just ahh hell with it lets go F2P .............. i could see how that meeting would go ...

And i thinkl you are taking to much out of the simple TCG with cash shop .. to relate it to Titan

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I am all for free to play as long as it has good ftp models like TERA, Aion and Lineage 2. Games that have all those restrictions are what makes free to play look worse then pay to play.
    Originally posted by Scorchien

I dont see any scenario where Titan would be F2P at Launch , why would they .. and this is Blizz we are taliking about , they have 10 mill paying subs right now.... Now , Why would you not give that business model a chance to succeed with your Next product as it did with Wow...

Or just ahh hell with it lets go F2P .............. i could see how that meeting would go ...

And i thinkl you are taking to much out of the simple TCG with cash shop .. to relate it to Titan

How can you say that when you don't even know what Titan is?

Why would they? Because P2P is out of fashion, and there is only one last strong P2P game left and Blizz wants to leave that ship before it sinks?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I see it as a sign that you want titan to be f2p.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I also love f2p and hope we see the end of sub games.  I fail to see how sub games are any better than f2p games and I have tried many of them. 
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

[mod edit]

Can i get your's? since seems easy to you to find one, now seriously you touched a very delicated topic and some zones are more affected than others, im saving to say where i live or similar things to evade unnecesary topics, but really what last part was totally unnecesary and mean.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Scorchien

How can you say that when you don't even know what Titan is?

Why would they? Because P2P is out of fashion, and there is only one last strong P2P game left and Blizz wants to leave that ship before it sinks?

lmao its only out of fashion for the dozens of games that started with subs and failed to draw enough revenue and there option was F2P or close... 

Blizz doesnt suffer from this problem and has no intention of giving you there game without a sub ....

Originally posted by waynejr2
    I see it as a sign that you want titan to be f2p.

Of course. I never hide that. I don't play sub games any more. B2P .. may be if the game is good.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by coretex666

Is it?

I think that you are biased in regards to this matter.

Would you expect this card game to have subscription? Would anyone in the world expect this card game to have subscription?

You are pushing something that simply isnt there.

It's kind of funny, this card game is going to end up costing them a lot more money than paying a sub :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Searias

Is it?

Would you expect this card game to have subscription? Would anyone in the world expect this card game to have subscription?

It's kind of funny, this card game is going to end up costing them a lot more money than paying a sub :P.

It is quite possible.

But seriously, would you believe that the fact that this game is not going to have subscription somehow indicates that their new MMO will be the same in this matter?

I do agree with you, the two games in questions are not anything like each other nor can one say that ones action can justify the other.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    LOL, um... Narius you need to switch "it" and "is" and add a "?". Could Titan be F2P? Sure, anything is possible and that's up to Blizzard to decide. Is the model for a TGC tie-in to WoW a sign of this? No, it's completely unrelated.

As mentioned above F2P is a bad thing... for developers... if they have a title worthy of a sub, that was the point. Is F2P great for the players? absolutely, who doesn't like dree stuff, but it takes both to make an MMO work as future design and maintanence cost money.

Players like you make F2P a bad idea for companies. Love to play a free game but won't pay for it because there are X more of them out there.
  • WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

The threads about people wanting f2p are endless. It is so aggrivating. Get over it already p2p is not going anywhere. Bad games or seasoned games that have been around for a while are going f2p which makes sense, but there is no reason a good game with quality content should be anything but p2p.

There is at least 5 new threads a day on this site with people pleading for more f2p crap games.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

People don't understand that if they want a great game they have to pay the price.

Blizzard's Titan will most likely be on par with wow. why would they go F2P? it takes twice or three times more player to make the same kind of revenue on a F2P game.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Is it?

I would guess that it will go with a cash shop model, but I don't understand how people expect to play it completely free.  Players will have to spend money on new "card packs" to be competitive.  

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

The payment model has very little to do in how great a game is.  We can all think of fantastic p2p games, just as we can all think of very poor ones.  Similarly, we can all point to great f2p games just as we can point to poor ones.  It's all in how the devs design the game. 

But anyways, back on topic, I hope that Titan will be in the f2p category.  But then again, I'd have to see what Blizz does with it first though.  They could very well be in the bad f2p category....

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    F2P IS a bad thing. It shifts developer priority from making a quality game to making fun toys to RMT.

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158

[mod edit]

This. It's saddening to see people push for F2P. I'm all for the P2P "what you pay for is what you get" model. Reminds me of the IGN writeup about good honest gamers paying the bills so the less fortunate can experience the same entertainment.

It kind of saddens me that games are taking this F2P trend now. I really, really don't like the model.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Searias

Is it?

It is quite possible.

But seriously, would you believe that the fact that this game is not going to have subscription somehow indicates that their new MMO will be the same in this matter?

I certainly do not believe that and find it to be beyond a stretch and rather odd. This is merely another case of the OP doin' his thang.

[mod edit]

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    No worries Real Money Auction House 2.0 I'm sure will launch with Titan.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Free to play is not about the companies caring about their players.  Free to play is about maximising profits. 

Making the game so that players are highly incentivised to spend money (either to relax restrictions or remove grind) is not, for me, a step in the right direction, especially when most of the playerbase tend not to notice that to remain competitve, or remove enough restrictions to have fun, you will be paying as much or more than a standard subscription.

Titan will more than likely be a P2P title because WoW has done so well and companies tend to stick with what they know.  Hearthstone will be a test for F2P transactions but I don't think it will translate to Titan becoming F2P.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400

Why even bother debating this?  You're not going to change the oppositions oppinion.  Any argument you come up with is not going to make sense to the others.