Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO Dev tells player that criticizing the game is a personal attack...

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Player vents his frustration that he recommended the game to his friends expecting it to get better as bugs would be fixed.  Instead in his opinion it has gotten even worse.   The developer then lectures the player about how this is not EA and when you criticize the game you are criticizing the developers personally, "not a company". 

Sebastian PerssonDeveloper

No, no it is not, it's not worse then it was before. That is a unreasonable thing to state, there were 200 bug fixes, you say it's broken because there's an issues with mount-prediction and you don't like the new ranged system and we are balancing that.
I honestly do not know if people actually understand that throwing words out like that makes us feel bad. We are not EA, criticizing things is criticizing us, not a company. You are very welcome to do so but please do it in a constructive and reasonable way and not like if we were a bunch of faceless devs.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

They are sensitive guys. Can't blame them. Enough people say 'what you create is awful' and you're bound to feel terrible about yourself.

Think if you went into work every day and your boss and co-workers said, "Wow, your work is god awful. Go back and fix it." Then you think you do and receive, "This is still crap. There's nothing good about it. Go fix it." Think you'd stay with that company long? Think you'd feel good about yourself? 

Still have to fix it, but dev has a fair point that criticism can be done in more constructive ways. Is he being over sensitive? Sure, but I'm also sure he's been beaten down over the years from his project's poor performance. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Originally posted by rmk70

Think if you went into work every day and your boss and co-workers said, "Wow, your work is god awful. Go back and fix it." Then you think you do and receive, "This is still crap. There's nothing good about it. Go fix it."

If I went into work everyday and my boss told me my work was crap I would likely be fired after a short time...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Think if you went into work every day and your boss and co-workers said, "Wow, your work is god awful. Go back and fix it." Then you think you do and receive, "This is still crap. There's nothing good about it. Go fix it."

If I went into work everyday and my boss told me my work was crap I would likely be fired after a short time...

What most people seem to forget is SV is running a businness, not a charity. When you charge for a product and don't deliver, your costumers have every right to complain. Yes you can hope they do it in a "constructive" manner but don't be surprised when they don't.  Grow a thicker skin and a pair of... well you know. That would be my advice. Also, make your game better!

BTW, you analogy is flawed. It is their costumers giving the negative feedback, not their co-workers or boss. You know costumers, right? Those pesky people who have paid and you continue to charge for a product they are not satisfied with...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

but when you do a job nobody else wants to do and when most of the critisism is aimed at your boss whos going to fire him?

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Maybe offer them a virtual cookie after telling them how much the game sucks ?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by deathshroud

but when you do a job nobody else wants to do and when most of the critisism is aimed at your boss whos going to fire him?

In that case I would probably count myself lucky and keep my mouth shut, not whine on a forum that people who complained about the poor state of the game were personally attacking me...

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Player vents his frustration that he recommended the game to his friends expecting it to get better as bugs would be fixed.  Instead in his opinion it has gotten even worse.   The developer then lectures the player about how this is not EA and when you criticize the game you are criticizing the developers personally, "not a company". 

No, no it is not, it's not worse then it was before. That is a unreasonable thing to state, there were 200 bug fixes, you say it's broken because there's an issues with mount-prediction and you don't like the new ranged system and we are balancing that.
    I honestly do not know if people actually understand that throwing words out like that makes us feel bad. We are not EA, criticizing things is criticizing us, not a company. You are very welcome to do so but please do it in a constructive and reasonable way and not like if we were a bunch of faceless devs.

So why the drama, it is a reasonable viewpoint. He essentially says they accept criticism but do it in a reasonable manner. TBH the people on this thread come across as more unreasonable.

Originally posted by RefMinor

So why the drama, it is a reasonable viewpoint. He essentially says they accept criticism but do it in a reasonable manner. TBH the people on this thread come across as more unreasonable.

I don't find anything in the player's post that would not be reasonable.  As a matter of fact his post seems VERY reasonable to me.  He simply says that he had talked his friends into playing the game because even though it was buggy, he thought it would get better.  In his opinion the game is getting worse, not better and he simply asks "Please fix this game".

Somehow you would have to explain where it would be reasonable to infer that to be a personal atack on the developer...

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by RefMinor

For once I agree with you... but only if you mean THIS thread, not the one the text in OP is copied from.  Why gamers are such unfeeling bastards is beyond me sometimes.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    I don't see why SV is above larger companies such as EA. You think their devs don't read feedback? It hurts them reading that xyz feature sucks just as much as for indies, as they developed it. SV is not a charity is pointed out, and should accept that some think their product is below desired quality, instead of pulling puppy eyes.
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Toferio
    I don't see why SV is above larger companies such as EA. You think their devs don't read feedback? It hurts them reading that xyz feature sucks just as much as for indies, as they developed it. SV is not a charity is pointed out, and should accept that some think their product is below desired quality, instead of pulling puppy eyes.

Sv not only is not above "larger companies" such as EA- They are worse. SV is a Corporation which sells stock (check.) Sv charges the same (in many cases more money) than most AAA MMOs out there (check.) SV asks for DONATIONS on top of everything else !!!! I mean who else does that, lol.

Then the game barely works and what does work is buggy as hell 2+ years after launch... I watched their ad video from before launch and I was like "Damn I wanna play THAT game"- It stil;l isnt close to what they advertised before launch.

-Hurts his feelings? The dude shouldnt have a job and paycheck- Thats how the real world works not QQing about hurt feelings while drawing a check for a sub par procuct with you sub par skills.

-Too funny.

Hows that new "patch" working BTW?

EDIT: Is this a Cult or a game (serious question...) because I see a Jim Jones in the making here and the people willing to follow and drink the kool Aid.