Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Blizzard Announces HearthStone CCG Game

13»

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Blizzard always reserves their Blizzcon for big announcements.  Thinking they would out Titan at this event just shows you do not know Blizzard.

And yet Blizzard said three weeks ago that they won't make annoucements related to Titan any time soon. But since you know Blizzard so who am i to argue with you.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I am curious about this. I loved the regular CCG but a lack of players in my area sor tof made it in to a very expensive set of bookmarks.

Will give this a try when it comes out.

This have been a good conversation

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by expresso

Having had some time to digest and think this over the game is going to be MASSIVE!, might even out do LOL in the long run in the F2P space.

It has the ultimate trinity - Blizzard + Warcraft + notional F2P CCG model, going to be huge, I just hope Blizzard ploughs the money it earns into bigger games.

Fixed this for you. Reality is having a powerful credit card can advance you far and quickly in this WoW CCG. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch in Blizzard's gaming universe. 

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Having had some time to digest and think this over the game is going to be MASSIVE!, might even out do LOL in the long run in the F2P space.

It has the ultimate trinity - Blizzard + Warcraft + notional F2P CCG model, going to be huge, I just hope Blizzard ploughs the money it earns into bigger games.

Fixed this for you. Reality is having a powerful credit card can advance you far and quickly in this WoW CCG. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch in Blizzard's gaming universe. 

For those into CCG they'll have a very good game here - don't see any issue with blizzards F2P model it's quite standard, not sure why there is all this hate other than it's Blizzard and this is MMORPG... we all know the score round here.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Name me a single TCG or CCG where that's not the case? I mean it's what TCGs are for and always been for.  You could buy a tournament winning deck for MtG as well if You have enough money for it... or You could buy some like 40 boosters, 6.75 each i belive for the core set ones. The only edge that physical TCGs have over digital ones is that you can actually sell the good cards if you so desire and get at least some money back... 

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

I was actually excited for a minute untill I read the part about buying card packs.  Then all the scam crap of cash shops came flooding up in my mind and my brief peak of excitement dropped out from under me and I fell back into my normal pit of cynicism.

Christ, I miss the days when we just paid a flat fee for our games and that was it.  None of this crap about competing to see who is willing to pay the most money for the most power.  I'd love to see a CCG online where the pve side of it is going around to collect cards from various monsters and the like.   But why do that when they can just put them in a cash shop and charge you money for each card.  And then make the old cards obsolete every few months by adding EXCITING, NEW, BETTER, MORE POWERFULL CARDS which you simply MUST HAVE (for a fee of course).

F that. 

New to the genre?

CCGs have always been rip-off, cash cows.  their very nature is to exploit their players with overpriced packs in search of powerful cards, and new editions every so often with even more powerful cards.  CCGs have always been for people willing to spend hundreds.

I know that and it's why I stopped playing MTG years ago.  But there isn't any law saying that it has to be that way.  They could make it so you aquire your cards through gameplay and just charge a subscription fee to play and not have a cash shop at all.

Yeah, yeah...I know, why make a quality game for a fair price when they can make crap and rip off the idiots willing to pay for it?

I have to say, following the development of the mmo genre all these years has not only destroyed my faith in game developers; it has seriously eroded my faith in humanity in general.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    People can bitch about what a disappointing announcement this is, but I've known plenty of people who play card games, and while it's not my cup of tea, I know those people and the countless others in the worldl like them are gonna eat this up. I can see this becoming very popular.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Urban Rivals but with a warcraft theme :|

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'm having a hard time trying to fathom having a new card game as being a bad thing for the gaming community, especially those of us who really enjoy that type of thing.

Is it just from disappointment from those who were expecting something else?  It couldn't be from hopes that it was Titan, as they said multiple times that it was not (and anyone who actually follows Blizzard trends knows they usually have a tendancy to announce games at World Wide Invitations if they're not expansions).  I'm even having trouble it could be from disappointment from Blizzard All Stars, as that game was already announced and it would be, in my opinion, foolish for a game that was already announced to be... well... announced again.  Especially since they made a big deal of the new announcement with the press letters.

But at this point we're getting people hating on something and wishing it wasn't a thing, when it such basically means they want to deny fans of a particular idea from getting it.  Has the community devolved this much?  Such greed?  Such needless and unfounded hate?  Are we children who hold grudges if something did not go our way, so much to the point that we are willing to allow it to affect others?

I know I'm expecting a lot from the internet, and the online gaming community that has such a bad reputation, but these things really need to be brought down a bit; we're just acting like spoiled children when we should be supporting each other as a community of people who enjoy different things.  In that I don't mean someone shouldn't be called on BS if they try to throw it, but realize that there's something for everyone, and we shouldn't hate on something just for the sake of hating it.

I'm not even sure if it's human nature anymore.  It just seems like a vindictive byproduct of anonymity and a generation of people getting spoiled in various ways.  Let's start to grow up together as a community.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

On a personal level, i'm a little disappointed since i've never been into card games and I doubt I ever will be.  But, cool stuff for people that are.

I have a feeling this is Blizzard's way to test the waters for mobile gaming and I wish them all the best.

• emi56emi56 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    April fools much? lol....
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

For those interested there is a the full half hour presentation on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_QhjadjbU also shows a full game being played if you're interested in the mechanics.  

• There is this one cool moment where a player played a card called "the beast" when the card was defeated the attacker got a gnome card back called "Finkle Einhorn" http://youtu.be/jq_QhjadjbU?t=20m26s - any true WoW player passed or current should get a kick out of that.
    • What was also interesting is there is a crafting system where you can disenchant cards into dust and you can use this dust to create a card of your choice. 
    • There is also a ranking system and bi-weekly tornaments to win card decks.

Got to say I kind of want to play this now.  but maybe that is my Blizzard fanboy speaking?

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Shameless money grab...

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141
    I had one foot out the door as soon as I saw BLizzards name on this. When they said they wanted to make it intuitive for WoW players, they lost me entirely. My translation of "more intuitive for WoW players" is this: IT is going to be a dumbed down, un intuitive card game with bright shiny colors and poor graphics that plays itself. No thanks.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

This sounds like EQ2's card game, LoN that you can play online and in game. Are they claiming this to be original?  Anyway...that's not a bad thing, LoN was loads of fun. This interface resembles it like....a lot. lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Paying for packs of virtual cards ............. no thanks.
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Geez, talk about a letdown.
  • SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Rubbish!!
  • GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

Titan-shmitan! I don't care if the news is about a CCG or Titan itself. Blizzard lost me when they went from designers making a game/world based on their vision, to becoming complete sellouts.

They completely sold out WoW, dumbing it down to the point that it is now a mindless kiddie game. Even worse, they completely destroyed the game's lore to make a few bucks more (rhyme unintended). Two words, "Tauren Paladin"! No thanks!

Until the company falls under new management that doesn't believe in shamelessly selling out and tearing down everything it built previously in order to suck every nickel out of its playerbase, they can take this CCG and Titan and shove them where the sun doesn't shine.

Furthermore, spoiler alert on Titan: it is going to be a SCI-Fi Fantasy based game ala Star Wars in which Blizzard "borrows" ideas from all the popular SCI-Fi Fantasy IPs, similarly to what they did with WoW and Fantasy IPs. The lore will be fantastic from the get-go and later on, Blizzard will absolutely gut everything about it once they see an opportunity to make a buck or two here or there.

Sadly, they've departed from being a company that prides themselves on developing games based on their vision and are now focused more on what they think will make them money from the zombified masses.

Your fail comment, failed.

• waxmaskwaxmask Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Why no developer hasen't taken up the Talisman Boardgame and converting it to a game is amazing me. It's by far the best game GamesWorksShop made in the past , by my humble oppinnion.