Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] Tab Targeting vs Action Combat

in a mmo that has all the goodies, dungeons/raids/world events/bg's/arenas/owpvp etc, do you preffer a tab targeting or action combat system?

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

If I wanted action combat I would play a console game with a controller where I could mash buttons.

Tab targeting allows for tactics like crowd control and splitting techniques that simply aren't possible during action zergfests.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    If I wanted action combat I would play a console game. Tab targeting allows for tactics like crowd control and splitting techniques that simply aren't possible during action zergfests.

i m with you, especially when it comes to raiding

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Action combat as long the player is not rooted in place like in Tera.If rooting during combat is in game then I prefer tab targeting but with a fast combat like gw2 or even wow.When I want a slow combat I can always play Heroes of Might and Magic for turn based strategy (to exaggerate a little like so many fans of tab targeting slow combat do in threads like this one)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i like tab target but also being able to actively dodge so gw2 style basically works best for me

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    i like tab target but also being able to actively dodge so gw2 style basically works best for me

i second this.

Action combat (with reticle aim) only works for me if it has gamepad support (in which i agree with other posters that its a console thing more than anything).

EDIT: someone mentioned the rooting in place crap. I agree with him, if theres mobility while casting / fighting i can have fun with action combat as long as the gamepad support is there. But my preference is GW2's combat since it launched.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i second this.

Action combat (with reticle aim) only works for me if it has gamepad support (in which i agree with other posters that its a console thing more than anything).

yea tera/vindictous style is more enjoyable to me when using my xbox controller(which thankfully they both support) for mouse + kb i like tab target based games a bit more overall.. I do like all styles of combat though just depends how the game implements it and how it "feels" overall to me

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

At first I thought tab-targetting, but then i really thought about it and choose action combat.

Since playing GW2, Tera, NW.... I tried going back to a tab target game... and it was horribly slow un interesting combat. 

Then I thought back to may fav game and class.... EQ and the Bard.... sure it was tab target... but playing a bard was like playing an action combat game before there was action combat mmo's. So many thing to do and manage. 

So Action Combat is my fav, and I can't go back.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Action combat. After playing TERA, playing any other MMOs with regular tab targeting is an exercise in frustration and anger.
  • StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Quirhid

If I wanted action combat I would play a console game with a controller where I could mash buttons.

Tab targeting allows for tactics like crowd control and splitting techniques that simply aren't possible during action zergfests.

Don't be a fool. Action combat can and has just as much tactics, CC and everything else than any other method of combat. It only looks like a button mash to someone who doesn't understand what is happening.

You're letting your ignorance show.

Qirhid, which action combat game are you referring to that uses precision CC and mob splitting?

Originally posted by fs23otm

that happens to me but with a different feature, questing progression. After being spoiled (for good) by GW2 dynamics events i cant just go back to a generic, static, yawn inducing questing system. Specially if its a new / upcoming mmo. I already expect new mmos to further improve upon GW2's ideas of dynamic progression.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Stromm

Qirhid, which action combat game are you referring to that uses precision CC and mob splitting?

How about any game with stuns applied with a skill shot? Hard CC (sleep, mesmerize etc.) is "easy-mode CC" - and I con't use that word very often.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

What I really miss about EQ is that the combat was focused on group interplay.

And I hate games where you have to constantly mash buttons, and this is both systems.  For instance, i find Rift rogues unplayable due to the 1 sec gcd where it comes down to mash mash mash mash.

I want combat to be interesting and dangerous and reward teamwork.  

I also hate the trend towards danger in numbers, big aoe fests.  Individual mobs are rarely dangerous anymore.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by rojo6934

that happens to me but with a different feature, questing progression. After being spoiled (for good) by GW2 dynamics events i cant just go back to a generic, static, yawn inducing questing system. Specially if its a new / upcoming mmo. I already expect new mmos to further improve upon GW2's ideas of dynamic progression.

Then your cookies are really gonna be baked when the devs work out how to do actual dynamic Dynamic Events. :-)
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

My favorite combat of all time, you can find it in Dark Souls. Add it to an mmo (without screwing it up just because its mmo balance mirroring jabba jibbies) and ill be there first in line. But again, since its a pc mmo i still prefer GW2's in mmos. Outside of mmos yeah DS has the best one. Meaningful combat.

• ZhylawZhylaw Member Posts: 115

Action combat all the way, tired of all school clunky mechanics.

Its the main reason I quit WOW and the main reason I'm excited for WIldstar and mebbe ESO

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

I want well designed combat.

After you play a game for 20 mins or so, you aren't noticing which mechanics they use to convey the game experience anyways.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Since playing GW2, Tera, NW.... I tried going back to a tab target game... and it was horribly slow un interesting combat.

I kind of feel the same way.  Still, I chose tab targetting because frankly, that's the category GW2 falls under and it's my favorite combat system in any MMO ever, and ya can't beat that with a stick.

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

There must be action in combat otherway its become boring in time and give me filling that game dosn't need my skill or hight attention to play well.  

Now what exactly is action combat? ofc TERA but maybe better to use terms skill based games? There are games with tab targeting and action skill based combat like DCUO.... (and TESO?)

Hate games based on gear and stats.Especialy when u can't do anything against guy with better gear than yours.

Skill should be most important and action combat is needed for this. Tab targeting doesn't mean to me no action in combat.

TERA, AoC, DCUO and hopefully TESO(my hope for mmos)

Don't be a fool. Action combat can and has just as much tactics, CC and everything else than any other method of combat. It only looks like a button mash to someone who doesn't understand what is happening.

What are you even talking about. Show me one game where you need to split a single mob out of a pack of 10 that doesn't use tab targeting.

Show me one.

Explain to me how you would even select a target in a game without targeting....how would that even work??

I've played non-target games like Vindictus, strategy is non-existent in those games, they're button combo mashfests zerg galore solofests and it's a direct result of their console combat style.

And I hate games where you have to constantly mash buttons, and this is both systems.  For instance, i find Rift rogues unplayable due to the 1 sec gcd where it comes down to mash mash mash mash.

I also hate the trend towards danger in numbers, big aoe fests.  Individual mobs are rarely dangerous anymore.

I'm the same as you.

I hate the trend towards console play, removing any strategy and making the game look like Street Fighter with swords.

Community, raids and group play reply on slow strategic and calculated combat, it requires tab targeting because it allows for target selection, strategy discussion, pulling strategies and CC...while action combat relies on button mashing solo play.

I'm sure it's fun to see your character swing and jump like a ballerina, but at the end of the day you're losing out on strategy and group interaction and raiding. Action combat raiding is a joke.

I'm boggled at the fact that many recent MMO give you the option to play with a controller.

I thought WoW was a casual game, action MMO take it to the next level and dumb down gameplay into dodge-combo fests while removing every strategy element.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    I am old school and prefer the tab targeting system.  I am not so much into the action thing.  I leave action games to my PS.  I want a good old fashioned mmo that has been updated graphically.  That would include the tab targeting. 
  • AeonZenAeonZen Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by dimasok
    Action combat. After playing TERA, playing any other MMOs with regular tab targeting is an exercise in frustration and anger.

lol :D

I play GW2 and TERA sooooooo Action!

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

I'm the same as you.

I hate the trend towards console play, removing any strategy and making the game look like Street Fighter with swords.

Community, raids and group play reply on slow strategic and calculated combat, it requires tab targeting because it allows for target selection, strategy discussion, pulling strategies and CC...while action combat relies on button mashing solo play.

I'm sure it's fun to see your character swing and jump like a ballerina, but at the end of the day you're losing out on strategy and group interaction and raiding. Action combat raiding is a joke.

I'm boggled at the fact that many recent MMO give you the option to play with a controller.

I thought WoW was a casual game, action MMO take it to the next level and dumb down gameplay into dodge-combo fests while removing every strategy element.

this.

if you like raiding then there is no place for action combat in a mmo

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

In RPG I'm for not only tab-target but also keeping it as slow as possible, and prioritizing your character's power over your skills.

Also, MMOs are games I expect to play hours upon hours sometimes. When there's too much action, too much button-mashing, it just wears me out. I like MMOs where I can relax a bit.

Thinking about it, I guess this is pretty much the opposite of what I expect from FPSs and MMOFPSs: In those games, I hate slow, deliberate, stealthy and even tactical gameplay and want to just charge in! :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

What are you even talking about. Show me one game where you need to split a single mob out of a pack of 10 that doesn't use tab targeting.

Show me one.

Explain to me how you would even select a target in a game without targeting....how would that even work??

I've played non-target games like Vindictus, strategy is non-existent in those games, they're button combo mashfests zerg galore solofests and it's a direct result of their console combat style.

You have to do it all the time in tera boss fights. Boss fights often have multiple mobs and you have to pull one out whie killing the rest ect. I don't know about vindictus never played it but games like tera are not button mashers ( well I guess they are if you don't knwo what you're doing but then so are tab target mmos). They have targets like any mmo you just can't lock on and fire smart rounds over your shoulder at them. You have to actually aim.

Keep in mind action combat is very new to mmos. So it's still evolving. tab targeting hasn't really changed that much other than say guild wars2 which....is just evolving into action combat.