Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That was awful, I tried but couldn't take it anymore

Comments

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I didn't care for some of the  character models.

• TzykiraTzykira Member Posts: 13

It's a fun game with a few ( more then actually ) -points.

As in locked view, u can't scroll in/out, which imo sucks. rooted while castin insta skills.

but besides that it will give a few hours of gameplay/days before it start being enoying.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    People are complaining that the character creator isn't 2013?  I'd like to know which MMO has come out that really raised the bar on character creation options?  Was it SWTOR?  The Secret World?  TERA?  Guild Wars 2?  Warhammer?  Age of Conan?  Generally, Cryptic's character creator owns... just look at CO and STO.  It sort of feels like they scaled back the options in this game to try and fit in more of the different races but by no means does it compare poorly with what else has been released.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by arche22

I'm afraid you lost all credibility at "Graphics are horrible". Either your settings were wrong, or you are intentionally misleading people.

+1

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I agree with the 2 things the OP had to say.

1 Yes the water up close looks terrible, yet oddly enough when viewed from a distance it's a very different scene, it looks 1000 % better and just as good as any water in a AAA MMO.

2. The characters models need some attention, no eye movement, lips not syncing with speech, an overall feeling of a very wooden npc.

Now these are only minor graphical issues which in no way will ever impede gameplay.

I have found the gaming experience in Neverwinter to be a very fun one, I was concerned that the combat would be vastly different to what we are normally used to but I was pleasantly surprised that it was so easy to use. You find some new MMO's try to hard to reinvent the wheel and completely screw up their combat just so they can say "It's dynamic and new" yet as a gamer you feel it's too off the wall to be user friendly.

The quests are your standard quests, I didn't expect anything different here, there hasn't been a great deal of innovation in 10 yrs of questing, even with all the new ideas from recent MMO's all they have achieved is different ways to deliver the same idea "go here, pickup/kill, explore this region etc etc" TSW still has the best quests out there.

After 3 hrs of gameplay I found I was sucked into the world, infact my first play session was 12 hrs straight as I forgot how long I had been sitting at my PC, it's been a long time since thats happened.

I feel this is going to be a niche game but with a very loyal following, the Foundry is whats going to make this game, I've played only 1 Foundry quest, I havent been able to create my own as thats a different beta, but what I have played has been bug free and ok.

My only gripe so far is that I see some players harping on about the same old crap "This is a WoW killer" which then quickly descends into a slanging match as the immature wretches all jump on the bandwagon and proclaim thier game to be "MMO killer blah blah"

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

Trying out Neverwinter has been an interesting experiance. It started with Cryptic's horrible patcher. Once the game was installed and I was in I began to notice alot of things that really bothered me. These are my thoughts as they came:

The character models are for the most part terrible. Women in this game are some of the ugliest I have ever seen. Going from TERA to Neverwinter is quite a shock. Elves which are usually the most beautiful race in the fantasy genre in Neverwinter look like aliens.

The character creation is lackluster. I expected more from Cryptic.

The animations seem a bit rough.

The bloom is everwhere.

Graphically it is pretty weak.

Should a Forgotten Realms game be so colorful?

Voice overs are cheesy, but I like them.

Quest text is pretty standard.

The UI isn't bad and its very customisable. Big plus.

Damn, this combat (great weapon fighter) is boring, what does this game offer over TERA, RaiderZ and other action mmo's.

I get to the city, is this Neverwinter? I doesn't feel like it, the Neverwinter I know is a pretty bleak place. Still I have to say it looks and feels really nice. I don't know what it is about it that I like, but I do.

First instance, looks good, plays fine, the combat is starting to be enjoyable.

OMG why the hell can't I dodge or block. Sprinting away is bullshit.

The questing starts to feel pretty enjoyable.

That's basically it. I started the game with a ton of things that annoyed me or I thought just felt wrong and yet over time I started enjoying it. I really don't know whats happening.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I'm afraid you lost all credibility at "Graphics are horrible". Either your settings were wrong, or you are intentionally misleading people.

+1

Graphics are great.

I love Neverwinter! It's fun, it's free, it's D&D. What's not to love!

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by Hiron 

The dungeon lacks the variety the DDO ones have. But I also played some of the foundry quests. It brings the game one big step closer to a varied dungeon crawler. But not quite on par with DDO. I will come back a few weeks/months after launch and see what creative players have achieved in the meantime.

I still have hope. The foundry can be great, actually it has to be, so it can compensate the many flaws NW has.

In a nutshell the combat/dungeon/character is like checkers but Im hoping for a deeper/complex chess game.

I'm with you on this. I might try the game upon release and see if the Foundry cotent is enough to amuse once in a while. That won't change the 'busy' combat areas but it might be enough to tinker around for a few hours now and again as a break from something else. Unfortunately for the game ( a drop in the bucket I admit) I won't ever spend money on it, however good the Foundry is (or is not).

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    If you turn off the sparkley light that guides you every where. the game gets A LOT better. WIth it on your basically on a rail.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    So far... the game is pretty balnd.  Lvled up to lvl 10 and I am not impressed. Actually had me wanting to go back and play GW2.  I had only a few bugs that were reported (off scren getting shot and a bugged quest).  I did not like the female models.   I will play some more today but this game has I pass all over it.  Just wish they would have done more with this IP.  The foundry system is not going to grab me.  I am a big Neverwinter fan and love R.A. Salvatore but unless somethig grabs me today... I will wait.  
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by keithian

So I went in thinking I want to help, its beta, keep your expectations low. I haven't been following this really at all. All I can say is that I played for about 3 hours, got to level 7, and I realize that many will say the real game opens up at X level, but this has to be one of the most boring and painful starts to a game since I tried Aion and couldn't take it anymore by level 10. 

The Graphics were horrible. I mean, seriously, I realize its beta, but at the same time this is 2013...the game looks to me worse than LOTRO or games 6+ years old. The water looked terrible. 

The combat was a little new to me and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out Ill never get my cursor like Im used to in other games lol, but once I got the hang of it, it was OK, but nothing whatsoever that had me saying "wow, combat is fun".

Character customization was OK, better than games like TOR and if it stopped at this point I would give the game a decent grade.

Questing felt like a huge step backwards and as a lover of PVE, I was bored to death.

The voiceovers are welcome, but when the mouth moves out of sync with what they are saying, its not very immersing. This can be excused for a beta.

Animations, well, average at best.

After playing to level 48 in SWTOR and to the end of Guild Wars 2, I just can't go backwards with games like this. For both of those games, at least the beginning, I was immediately drawn in. With this game, it just felt so irrelevant. Nothing pulled me in. I mean, in GW2, I ran around marveling at the graphics, especially the cities, just so beautiful..of course by the end of the game when I realized nothing was in them to do my opinion changed,,,,but thats another story lol.

Ok, back to playing Skyrim since no MMO has me right now. Thanks for the beta, but god, what were they thinking?

PS I did report one bug of continually being hit with nothing on the screen...so I did my duty lol.

Hmm this intrests me. I was drawn into those other games, but left flat shortly after. Maybe NW grows? Heck or it could be that bad. Gonna have to see for myself on this one.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by red_cruiser
    People are complaining that the character creator isn't 2013?  I'd like to know which MMO has come out that really raised the bar on character creation options?  Was it SWTOR?  The Secret World?  TERA?  Guild Wars 2?  Warhammer?  Age of Conan?  Generally, Cryptic's character creator owns... just look at CO and STO.  It sort of feels like they scaled back the options in this game to try and fit in more of the different races but by no means does it compare poorly with what else has been released.

I'm not sure why you're talking in "general" terms when we're discussing one game: Neverwinter.  Some of the games you mentioned have better CC than Neverwinter does.  My only problem is that Cryptic seems either unwilling or unable to simply hire better artists.  I'm enjoying the gameplay style of the beta so far, but good God, there has not been one hair or face option that I've seen in all of the races/classes that didn't make me think "eww".  Some of the hair looked like it came from the N64.

Not to sound harsh, since things could be changed for release (not likely though), but I had the same problem with WoW.  I liked the game, but what's the use of different options if the only real one is "ugly"?

• Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203

Graphics are nice, but there a pain for my eyes, i just cant get used to these kind of graphics.

I just cant explain it how they are.

But I cant complain, its a free game, altho I dont think il be investing any Real life money on the shop since the game has no realy intrest to me.

PvE is pretty standerd, and PvP is nowhere any groundbreaking at all.

Its a standerd old threadmil basic MMO game i supose.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i'd say the areas to me look good but some of the character models are pretty horrid.. for example most female models look very "off" and running up stairs looks very akward.. the running animations look bad especially on the females as it seems they used the same exact running animation for the male and female models and it looks like it was designed for large brutish type characters and just doesn't work with the females. Overall graphics are decent for me nothing great but very passable.. just needs some serious work on the female models basic animations imho

U must have been playin a fighter class cuz the females look cool as a rogue

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by tkreep

i'd say the areas to me look good but some of the character models are pretty horrid.. for example most female models look very "off" and running up stairs looks very akward.. the running animations look bad especially on the females as it seems they used the same exact running animation for the male and female models and it looks like it was designed for large brutish type characters and just doesn't work with the females. Overall graphics are decent for me nothing great but very passable.. just needs some serious work on the female models basic animations imho

U must have been playin a fighter class cuz the females look cool as a rogue

ha! you are right rogues running looks decent for females as the crouched over look actually works better for the thinner models. Rogue is my favorite class by far so i'm saving it for launch so in these weekends i have been playing the other classes. Just went with male character cause I can't stand to watch the female guardians run around

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by justabloke

[mod edit]

show me a better looking game that was designed as a f2p game from the start

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• justablokejustabloke Member UncommonPosts: 10

[mod edit]

Aerowyn mate, f2p shouldn't be an excuse to turn out crap.

What you seem to like I obviously don't.  The animation is jerky and almost all the models seem to have the lowest poly-count I've experienced in recent memory.  Almost everything is sharp edges, except the eyes, my god, the eyes!

And I would just note that what Aerowyn is showing there isn't what you experience most of the time in-game, they are lovely promo shots produced by perfect world.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

To call what this game puts on the screen graphics is an insult to graphics everywhere

The only game I've played that even come's fairly close would be Rune's of Magic.Even then it doesn't touch this game as far as graphic's.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

To call what this game puts on the screen graphics is an insult to graphics everywhere

Aerowyn mate, f2p shouldn't be an excuse to turn out crap.

What you seem to like I obviously don't.  The animation is jerky and almost all the models seem to have the lowest poly-count I've experienced in recent memory.  Almost everything is sharp edges, except the eyes, my god, the eyes!

i agree animations need work especially basic ones like running. The eyes are odd on some characters i have noticed as they don't move which is pretty eerie. but overall poly count looks fine you sure you had all the sliders maxed out and AA to 8x to smooth things out?

also on your edit game does look just like this i tried taking my own shots but for some reason they won't save... i don't feel like downloading fraps right now but maybe later I will get some shots

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

What about the eyes?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I played for just a bit, but I was personally very disappointed. I had the settings maxed out and while the environments are not bad, the character models and animations are terrible. The heads, faces, and hair are especially horrid. I have not seen 3D hair that bad in quite some time.

The combat has potential, but was kind of sluggish when I played. This could have just been due to the server load.

Overall, I am bummed. I was expecting better. I realize it's beta, but I have yet to see a games models and animations improve from beta to launch. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to happen.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

I understand the not real DnD arguments, but Neverwinter still does something that no other game has done. DnD-ish game as a 3D mmorpg, and with a real roleplaying element, not just a massive multiplayer game. Or well that what is has potential to become, although there is also a chance it will be another classless action game.

A real time 3D game that leans stricktly on DnD is probably impossible to make work well, so they have to cut corners and alot of them. You could argue that it's so little DnD and forgotten realms, that its tainting and leeching on a good name, and I suppose that is true in a way.

Still.. as not having such strong feelings and background in DnD the DDO way, I kindda like this kind of approach to a mmorpg... so far.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    The more my friend and I play, the more we love it.  It'll probably replace TERA for us completely when it comes out.  I still wish the character models were better (a lot better), but what's the point if it adds nothing to the gameplay?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I've learned to accept that most MMOs just have awful character models. I don't know why, but its just something they can't get right.

Wow has good ones, I still think they look good to this day. Not high in polygon count and texture resolutions obviously but very tasteful and well done for its time and it still looks good as a result.

GW2 has amazing character models, very detailed and just natural looking. Especially the Asura and Charr.

And I still think DAoC has awesome character models. I started a trial again just to mess around, and a Furbolg STILL looks epicly awesome on there. I'm sure they've updated them some, but EQ1 updated their models and they still looked awful.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    The more my friend and I play, the more we love it.  It'll probably replace TERA for us completely when it comes out.  I still wish the character models were better (a lot better), but what's the point if it adds nothing to the gameplay?

Ya, i'd be happy if just the armor for Wizard was better. Whats with the vest? Either way I am having soooo much fun playing Beta I can't wait for launch.