Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its not an MMO

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It feels more like a Diablo clone, or GW1 and DDO, its instanced, its online, but not an MMO since there are no real open zones.

There are many games like this, it does not necessarily make them bad games, but it does not make them MMOs either, can we have a sepperate name for these online rpgs or action rpgs.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    You are wrong at early levels it feels instanced but it quickly opens up with more and more large outdoor areas full of questers as you progress. They should have perhaps included such a zone in the beginning so not to scare away the people who form an opinion after 30 minutes of play. 
  • HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Its a mix of both. You cant enter a map if you dont have a mainquest which leads to it. But once unlocked its like any other open world map.  Thus you cant explore/enter other maps freely.. You unlock a map when the mainquest needs you to be on that particular map. Personally Im ok with this, barely.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It feels more like a Diablo clone, or GW1 and DDO, its instanced, its online, but not an MMO since there are no real open zones.

There are many games like this, it does not necessarily make them bad games, but it does not make them MMOs either, can we have a sepperate name for these online rpgs or action rpgs.

I think you need to consider what instancing is.

Is instancing the limitation of the amount of players in any one zone? Couldn't be, that would mean TERA, Guild Wars 2, and Defiance would fall into the category of "NOT OPEN-WORLD".

Maybe it's Open-world that's more the defining term of this post? Is open world the ability to travel from "Zone" to "Zone" without loading? Well those same games also suffer from the inability to travel from "Zone" to "Zone" without loading.

Could it be the size of each area?

Is it the amount of players allowed in each area?

People keep using that word "Instanced" as if  there ever was an alternative that removed it from a game. Even World of Warcraft had instances, they simply had a fantastic engine that allowed the preloading of relevant zones. In fact one might say that this was WoW's greatest achievement especially considering how flight paths worked, though knowing this you can probably figure out that the early WoW flight paths were specifically scenic for the purpose of working the current technological limitations, and as those limitations were lifted flight paths were able to be more direct in their routes.

Every single online game has instancing, it's simply how the developers handle the instancing that makes the difference.

I'd say the closest thing you're going to get to not having instancing is Minecraft, but in reality The End and The Nether are both seperate instance from the Overworld.

Personally I enjoy the 5-10-15-25 player maps that separated and limited in order to insure that zerging doesn't occur. I also enjoy that I'm able to freely navigate between instances at will, something I oh so desire from Guild Wars2. Then again I guess that's because in Guild Wars 2, I find that players often fall into one of two categories out in the world, "Warm bodies" or "Pain the Ass". They're mostly Warm bodies when dealing with non-failstate events, but when it comes to any of the temple events, you can be sure that if there is a way to fail, they'll find it.

Also I'm pretty sure that it was either MikeB or another community manager simply defined an mmo to be 500 players on a server. Though this was easily 3+ years ago. Good luck dredging that one up.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

GW1 and DDO are actually MMORPGs, the instancing doesn't matter as long as there are hub areas where you can meet up with people and talk freely using your in-game avatars. Path of Exile is a game you can credibly call MP but not MMO because the hub areas are themselves instanced and most interactions between players is limited to chat. Know the difference between the two please.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

I think you need to consider what instancing is.

Is instancing the limitation of the amount of players in any one zone? Couldn't be, that would mean TERA, Guild Wars 2, and Defiance would fall into the category of "NOT OPEN-WORLD".

Maybe it's Open-world that's more the defining term of this post? Is open world the ability to travel from "Zone" to "Zone" without loading? Well those same games also suffer from the inability to travel from "Zone" to "Zone" without loading.

Could it be the size of each area?

Is it the amount of players allowed in each area?

People keep using that word "Instanced" as if  there ever was an alternative that removed it from a game. Even World of Warcraft had instances, they simply had a fantastic engine that allowed the preloading of relevant zones. In fact one might say that this was WoW's greatest achievement especially considering how flight paths worked, though knowing this you can probably figure out that the early WoW flight paths were specifically scenic for the purpose of working the current technological limitations, and as those limitations were lifted flight paths were able to be more direct in their routes.

Every single online game has instancing, it's simply how the developers handle the instancing that makes the difference.

I'd say the closest thing you're going to get to not having instancing is Minecraft, but in reality The End and The Nether are both seperate instance from the Overworld.

Personally I enjoy the 5-10-15-25 player maps that separated and limited in order to insure that zerging doesn't occur. I also enjoy that I'm able to freely navigate between instances at will, something I oh so desire from Guild Wars2. Then again I guess that's because in Guild Wars 2, I find that players often fall into one of two categories out in the world, "Warm bodies" or "Pain the Ass". They're mostly Warm bodies when dealing with non-failstate events, but when it comes to any of the temple events, you can be sure that if there is a way to fail, they'll find it.

Also I'm pretty sure that it was either MikeB or another community manager simply defined an mmo to be 500 players on a server. Though this was easily 3+ years ago. Good luck dredging that one up.

Dotn bring on this discussion again, as you know exactly what i meant...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

worst argument ever. thx for the laugh tho.

they are still mmos even tho they instance their maps.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I love Neverwinter. Many others do. If you don't sorry, but I'm going to keep playing this awesome free to play title. Remember how much it cost you..... nothing.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    DDO is not an MMO? Um, thanks for the input, but your guidelines on what a MMO is does not jive with me.
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    like all other crypic games that use this engine there will -never- ever be more then 100 people in the same map..well at best 110 due to lag overflow.  is it a mmo , sure it is, but is a small scale one and will never be able to go beyond that due to engine restrictions , neverwinter will also never get realy better then it is. they already pushed that engine to its current limmets were dx10/11 is barely suported. but again it is a mmo.. of low quality if you ask me but eh, each their own taste..
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Wrong..there are open zones in game.

But then again it is a dungeon crawler so don't know what you expect.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Its not that the game is not what i expected, or it isnt fun. As it is exactly what one might expect from an action based dungeon crawler.

But labeling it as an MMO,  will harm the game more then calling it a multi player dungeoncrawler.  

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Its not that the game is not what i expected, or it isnt fun. As it is exactly what one might expect from an action based dungeon crawler.

But labeling it as an MMO,  will harm the game more then calling it a multi player dungeoncrawler.  

Then if we call NWO a multiplayer game then we can call all themepark MMOs multiplayer games and not MMOs ;).

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Dihoru

GW1 and DDO are actually MMORPGs, the instancing doesn't matter as long as there are hub areas where you can meet up with people and talk freely using your in-game avatars. Path of Exile is a game you can credibly call MP but not MMO because the hub areas are themselves instanced and most interactions between players is limited to chat. Know the difference between the two please.

NW's hub is instanced too. It is not made obvious but unless you are on a team with someone chances are they are in a different instance then you. This would mean by your definition NW is not an MMO.

I would call it a mMMO or a mini massive multiplayer online game because I enjoy oximorons. 

Originally posted by Dihoru

Then if we call NWO a multiplayer game then we can call all themepark MMOs multiplayer games and not MMOs ;).

This discussion was held long ago, where a game very close to what we now see in Neverwinter was specifically not called an MMORPG by its developers but an CORPG, stands for Cooperative Online RPG, because there are no massive zones in these games. 

Does anyone remember what game i am talking about?

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Aren't most mmo's today instanced? So we have shades now of open-worldliness.

DDO it makes perfect sense and works out great. You run DnD modules with groups. Just like how dad use to.

What is right, it is 3D Diablo.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    aside from the dungeons most areas you quest in you are not in your own instance you see people all around.. as you get higher you will get to more much larger areas.. You don't have the huge open world feel of games like wow and such but its hardly a lobby game like gw1 or vindictous where you never seen anyone else unless you are in a party with them or in town.. Yes its a dungeon crawler at heart though but i'd still consider this a MMO

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    aside from the dungeons most areas you quest in you are not in your own instance you see people all around.. as you get higher you will get to more much larger areas.. You don't have the huge open world feel of games like wow and such but its hardly a lobby game like gw1 or vindictous where you never seen anyone else unless you are in a party with them or in town.. Yes its a dungeon crawler at heart though but i'd still consider this a MMO

30 or 40 players in one instanced zone. That's not massively, if you ask me.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

DDO it makes perfect sense and works out great. You run DnD modules with groups. Just like how dad use to.

diablo is a linear farming game without too much evolving end content. that's what made it great.

it's "end content" is repeatable because it's randomized.

you start on normal, go to the next lvl, do the same again and again till you reached the highest grade.

that's why diablo is no mmo in the traditional sense, and that's why neverwinter is not like diablo.

you also have no "3d lobby" as in mmos (main cities) in diablo.

there are plenty of difference and people tried to pull this off before.

would you say age of conan is a diablo like game? or the secret world?

they use instances too.

doesn't put em in the same category tho. 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I got lost in Pirates Skyhold. then again I don't use my glow line. Took me 20 min to get back to Protectors Enclave.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

diablo is a linear farming game without too much evolving end content. that's what made it great.

it's "end content" is repeatable because it's randomized.

you start on normal, go to the next lvl, do the same again and again till you reached the highest grade.

that's why diablo is no mmo in the traditional sense, and that's why neverwinter is not like diablo.

you also have no "3d lobby" as in mmos (main cities) in diablo.

there are plenty of difference and people tried to pull this off before.

would you say age of conan is a diablo like game? or the secret world?

they use instances too.

doesn't put em in the same category tho. 

NWO is like 3D Diablo, not a perfect match, but close enough for general purpose usage.

In their open zones, they don't seem to want to put even 30-40 in there, it seems around 15 and they make another zone, that's not even a great raid size zone. Go into map, click change zones, you'll see all the open ones and their numbers. The city has a 150 pop cap.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by mmprime
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

30 or 40 players in one instanced zone. That's not massively, if you ask me.

seen more than that in the larger areas.. the smaller ones wouldn't make sense to have a ton of people as they are a lot more confined and people would be all over each other.. but again this game is a dungeon crawler first and foremost but its not a lobby game in the sense of vindictous 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

You're right about the gameplay being like a 3D Diablo, sure, but I still think Neverwinter is pretty damn sure an MMO.

And really, does this thread have to happen with EVERY new MMO that comes out?  Really?

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

This guy again?

Sorry buddy, you don't make the rules, it is indeed an MMO.

I can't even say nice try, it's certainly his MO to create threads or posts seemingly just to be contrary.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Yeah the game is loaded with instances but there is still an open world where you can see other players. I don't think heavy instancing means that the game is not an MMO. I agree that GW1 was not an MMO but that is because it limited you to 8 players per area and towns were not very interactive. The thing about NW is that there are plenty of out door areas with somewhere around 10-20 people. Those people are "in the world" and it is the same thing as there being 100 people accross a few zones in WoW. The only difference is that there is not a zone line in WoW. EQ had zones where there was usually not too many people in a specific zone and I assure you that is an MMO. 

There is nothing wrong with limiting the amount of people in a PvE area to 10-30ish people. Its not like more people in PvE make it more fun. 

• tagtarsistagtarsis Member UncommonPosts: 35

Prior to hitting level 20, I felt similar to the OP, in that it seemed very gated and instanced, a lot like DDO and GW1.

I dont define MMO's by this though and I just assumed that this game would be like this all 60 levels, but since I got to level 20 last night I can say definativly that NWO has wide open zones, the map was actually quite large, and very well designed.

In this map they even had "dynamic events" type things going on. I had fun doing 1 of them as I took 1st place on the catch the spy's dynamic event. It was not a GW2 dynamic event but it was still fun.

Overall the deeper I get into NWO the harder the game gets and the more interesting the game gets. They introduce item enchants/augments, more open zones with harder mobs and more frequent encounters.

Levels 1-20 are your training and its fun but more fun to come post level 20.